What is the story behind your “handle”?

18 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

58L-Y8 is the model designation for the 1958 Packard sedan, hardtop and station wagon.  Oddly enough, I've never owned one.

You could have had that black one in Nunda a couple of years ago. Just a ride down the hill.

008.thumb.JPG.427b723290a527063fea3dead4e08b36.JPG

• Like 2

I have always, since i was a kid, been able to take things apart and repair them. Bikes, radios, small engines, big engines.... Everyone started calling me a jackofalltrades.  

I’ll be 49 in August and I have had the pleasure of working on Model A’s and T’s.  Auburns, Rolls Royces,Jaguars,Harley Davidsons and many other makes and models.  Bulldozers, Tractor trailers, etc.

now I interface 6 axis robots with machinery.....  the 70 is year I was born.

• Like 1

I've been having fun reading about you all. Then I realized that I didn't properly answer ; simply took a once in a lifetime opportunity to capitalise on spell check wisdom. That T-shirt is a gift from Hillbilly Willy and his wife Dianne. 'Willy went with me to fetch the '24 from Eastern Ohio 30 years ago. "Cadillac Carl" was earned about 20 years prior to that.

My super good friend Steve had an apartment and deck across the street from a suds joint called "Sam's Red Robin Tavern". We were in our 20s, and so were most of the ladies who drank beer and wine there. Niether they nor we played too terribly hard to get. So quite a bit of hangin' and clangin' took place back and forth from the Red' and Steve's party pad. I commuted and cruised with a 1949 grey model 62 fastback with the optional fog lights, and a sun visor which had helped to preserve the "woodgrain". Call the car an exquisite, strong 3, which ran fast and reliably. We all loved that car. Oh, if only I still.................. (And it cost the asking price of $250).

One day I borrowed another friend's Porsche and drove it around Lake Washington, clockwise. Pulling into Kirkland, I hit the brakes and did a U-turn. Was that REALLY a Bahama Blue Eldo' Droptop I caught out of the corner of my eye ? Sure enough ! In the back of a used truck lot, $550. $500 took it. Oh, if only I still.................

Later, when I joined up with the cats and chicks of our "Corner Gang", Steve took one look at the Eldo', and hung my handle on me. You know how you can't give yourself a nickname.

Hey now : seems I have told this before also. I must be some very much older :      -    Cadillac Carl 

P.S. In my reason for edit, spell cheque (as I tried to spell it), changed "cheque" to "cheese". Aww..... SHIRT !! Don'tcha just love it !!!!

Edited by C Carl
Spelling. Just where IS spell cheese when you need it ! (see edit history)
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, cahartley said:

I'm a long time fan of Hart Parr tractors (owned 7 of them) and Rumely tractors (owned 4).

I would hope you have seen this Hart Parr video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG3zBQE-BOM

Probably the oldest operating gas powered traction engine in Alberta. This restored and operating 1908 Hart Parr still fires up with no effort. This unit generates 30 horsepower at the drawbar and 60 at the belt pulley and well over a thosand pounds of torque. It also uses a unique eliptical reverser that allows it to move in both directions through the same gear train. Ignition impulse is provided through a battery during starting, and switches to a dynomo when the flywheel gains enough momentum. The engine itself is a two cylinder horizontal hit and miss unit that displaces 2356 cubic inches and generates it's horsepower at 300rpm. It weighs just over 20,000lbs and carries roughly 200 quarts of coolant, which is actually light oil so it never freezes. Pioneer Acres Museum, Irricana, Alberta.

On 5/3/2019 at 8:29 AM, TheMoneyPit said:

My  Avatar is Moose, he was a rescued mutt and my favorite. I would start any car and he would jump right in, once or twice over a closed door in an open car I had. I miss having him as my copilot when the wife didn’t want to go. I wish I had a picture of him on my phone, but our next dog just turned 12 and is OK with rides but needs a boost even with running boards.

Time does have a way of going by too quickly...

FBD46030-33B4-4F2E-B86E-49634882D411.jpeg

Such a cute pup. Sad thing is they don’t live nearly as long as we do, so we have to say goodbye. Patsy is a rescue also. I also recused a senior dog for my father before he went into a nursing home. One of my father’s in home caregivers became attached to Molly, so I let her have Molly when dad couldn’t have her anymore. Sadly, many people give up older dogs who are very well trained and used to being with families. 

Ms. Pasty loves to ride in the Skyliner with the roof down. I just sit on her leash and she sits right next to me. (Someday I need to install seatbelts in the front so I can buckle her in with a special lead I have for her. She also is the queen of the back seat of the Tundra, having been to Tx and back many times, as well as multiple trips to and from Southern Oregon. She is always up for a road trip and loves her “den” back there. Dogs are such great companions. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 1:15 PM, 60FlatTop said:

You could have had that black one in Nunda a couple of years ago. Just a ride down the hill.

008.thumb.JPG.427b723290a527063fea3dead4e08b36.JPG

I ran across this '58 Packard about twenty years ago in an auction at Norwich during the Memorial Day weekend events.  Its a pretty solid, decent example. I have the numbers written down somewhere, recall it was about midway through the production year.   Fast forward ten years, it shows up on eBay, then in the Geneseo, NY area.   Next its was bought by a local garage owner in Nunda, who enjoyed it a few years before he fell ill with cancer and passed.  Its been since sold, gone who knows where.  But I expect it will come to my attention again here in a few years.  My preference is for a 1957 Clipper town sedan, a good one.

• Like 1

I have really enjoyed reading through all these posts! I’ve been busy moving and now unpacking, so haven’t been on much lately. I ran out of “likes” to like all your posts. Seems we are only allowed a certain amount a day. Consider all of your posts “liked” though! ✔️

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Its been since sold, gone who knows where.

I drove down from Brockport with a strong interest in buying it. I seem to remember $4500, but it might have been $6,000, an OK price range. The car was crusty underneath, showed "when needed" maintenance, and the interior was damaged from water leaks.

002.thumb.JPG.498d8d2197a0bec9902811034beced01.JPG

There was an old guy who was a friend of the deceased husband with a beer in his hand and a runny mouth. He started in telling me how rare it was and that he wouldn't let me steal it from the widow. I just left. Similar cars, I call "benevolently neglected". This one didn't have the benevolence. I doubt they got the $4500.

14 hours ago, Tinindian said:

I would hope you have seen this Hart Parr video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG3zBQE-BOM

Probably the oldest operating gas powered traction engine in Alberta. This restored and operating 1908 Hart Parr still fires up with no effort. This unit generates 30 horsepower at the drawbar and 60 at the belt pulley and well over a thosand pounds of torque. It also uses a unique eliptical reverser that allows it to move in both directions through the same gear train. Ignition impulse is provided through a battery during starting, and switches to a dynomo when the flywheel gains enough momentum. The engine itself is a two cylinder horizontal hit and miss unit that displaces 2356 cubic inches and generates it's horsepower at 300rpm. It weighs just over 20,000lbs and carries roughly 200 quarts of coolant, which is actually light oil so it never freezes. Pioneer Acres Museum, Irricana, Alberta.

Interesting you posted THAT one and, yes, I've seen it.

I built this one for a friend........ ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNbc_kcRFqc

Yup......the more people I meet, the more I like my dogs. Can't spoil them too much, mine are now very picky........they won't go for a ride in my 15 Ford T, they prefer the glamor wagon! The Mrs. still prefers the Ford..........about the only thing in the entire yard that's low maintenance is Peggy! Puppies are Haggis & Tattie.

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

• Like 5

11 hours ago, JACK M said:

Such a handsome boy.

2019-04-09 Bear 001.JPG

I 💕 that pup! Everyone, meet Bear. Jack took in my 3rd Texas rescue when it became apparent that my Patsy was driving him nuts. He was supposed to be a companion for her, but he prefers the company of humans. One of the sweetest pups I’ve ever known. He’s actually a better behaved pup then my Patsy, but atlas, I promised Patsy a forever home. I did a trial run with Bear, but when I tried to return him, the owner wouldn’t answer my texts. I think he knew I was in a better position to find him the right home. 

It was quite difficult to give him up, but I knew he was going to a good home and would be happier. I’m grateful beyond words to Jack for giving him a good home. He’s a hurricane survivor. I got him from his Houston area displaced owner who had to relocate and couldn’t keep him. 😢

BTW, Bear helped Patsy and I bring one of dad’s cars to Oregon. I don’t remember which one though. Lol. But technically that should count as a “car related” post, right? 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

in case no one can tell by the number of likes I put on Animal posts, I like Dogs and Cats. And to make this auto related, I like them even more posed with cars.

That could be a thread all by itself! 

“It’s raining cats and dogs”. 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

“It’s raining cats and dogs”. 

Why, did you step in a poodle?

(I know, that joke is so old you fell off your dinosaur first time you heard it.....)

• Haha 6

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2019 at 3:05 AM, 61polara said:

It's my first car, a 1961 Dodge Polara 2 door HT that my Dad bought new.  Still have it and hope to have it back out in the next few years.

61 dodge1.jpg

This is the dream car of my girlfriend. I learned to love the quirky design too. It’s like a unicorn though; they’re hard to find and yours is perfect in every way. 

My name is Wilfred but friends called me Wilf and the Sedanet part comes from my personal unicorn - which I own: a 1949 Buick Super Sedanet. 

• Like 3

A little late to the parade on this one but when I am not at work or driving around in my Model T I coach both Basketball and Soccer and for the most part the players all call me "coach" , JC are my initials hence CoachJC.

Here is a pic from a month ago winning one of the top Tourneys in the US the Potomac Memorial Day Tournament. I'm in the black shirt and my soon to be 17yr old son is the second to my left.

Team pic Potomac Champs 2019.jpg

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, coachJC said:

A little late to the parade on this one but when I am not at work or driving around in my Model T I coach both Basketball and Soccer and for the most part the players all call me "coach" , JC are my initials hence CoachJC.

Here is a pic from a month ago winning one of the top Tourneys in the US the Potomac Memorial Day Tournament. I'm in the black shirt and my soon to be 17yr old son is the second to my left.

Team pic Potomac Champs 2019.jpg

Congrats to you and your team Coach!

• Like 2

Back in the early 1980s I bought a house built in 1872 and restored it while we lived there and I did all the work myself.

Around 1985 the guys I flew with in the PA Air National Guard gave me the nick name VILA after Bob Vila, originally from This Old House.

In the early 2000s I designed the house we now live in and I was the sub-contractor to install the:

1. Fiber Cement siding

2.  All flooring to include mostly Hickory hardwood, and brick entry and kitchen floor along with 2 1/2 baths of vinyl flooring.

3.  Kitchen cabinets and major appliances

4.  All bathroom cabinets and Master bath ceramic tile shower, counter, and bath tub surround.

5.  Bonus Room / Yoga Studio above 3 1/2 car garage from bare studs and sub-floor up to finished room to include Electrical work, Drywall, Hardwood floor, Stair Case, Banisters and railings

6.  All painting

My daily driver's license plate is VILA, and my grand children even call me Papa Vila.

Pictures are from 2004, the first Christmas we lived in the new house.

147573072_House1.thumb.jpg.ec4448aea263ceef7c4170d5c8928f08.jpg

1328793386_Entry1.thumb.jpg.23aa96b573143581c495b2baa6751117.jpg

Edited by Vila (see edit history)
  • Like 3

My name John and always favored and restored (among other Chevrolet's) 59-62 Chevrolet's with the 348 and 409 engines. I am the TA for the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America for 1960 full size Chevrolet's as well as the 348 engines, so John348 it is for me. Before the internet when people wrote letters and made phone calls I was always known as "John,  you know the guy with the 348 stuff"

The 60 Impala is a big car for a small person!  Not so big for me

John 60 Impala Posed.jpg

60 Impala E Engine Left.jpg

60 Impala F Engine Right.jpg

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 7