What Name Have You Given Your Car?

RansomEli

Our '29 and '21 Franklins are named Scott and Zelda, respectively.

We also own two 1997 Toyota Paseo convertibles - don't ask why, it's a long story. We call them Thing1 and Thing2.

What names have you given your cars?

IMG_1881.JPG

IMG_1880.JPG

• Like 1

I could never understand why people gave inanimate objects such as cars, names. It was popular during the '50s and early '60s with custom cars and "lead sleds" to paint a name on the Continental Kit. It was usually something like "Peggy Sue" or "Angel Baby", popular songs back then. There had to be dozens of each and it wasn't hard to see two or more "Peggy Sue's" at one car show. I guess some people think it's cute or to treat the car as a family member, but I still don't get it.

• Like 3

The Imperial in my avatar is the only one that is named, I don't use it but the previous owner told me it was Eva.

His husbands car was a similar four door version and is named Zsa Zsa.

Hate to say it but the guy was a flat out liar.

Eva will be going thru the Mecum auction in Portland next week. Hope it sells.

IM002165.JPG

IM002167.JPG

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

Talking with my Son, when some cars need moving or taken out...

the 66 Camper special Chevy pickup has always been "the white truck" for 2.5 decades.

the 32 ford cabriolet rod is either "the hotrod, or the Ford"

the 32 Nash conv sedan is "the Nash"

the newest member is the 34 LaS conv. is "the LaSalle"

the 69 Dart 340 6-pack conv 4 speed is "the Dart"

he, he, my Son is restoring a 83 Chevy Silverado loaded 4x4 short fleet, and still changes his mind on possible color on a weekly basis..He last said "maybe White".  I LMAO and said how will we ever not get confused, and then mistook the sentence : "go get the white truck"  :)

the almost never mentioned old hotrod I saved off ebay as a literal pile of stacked pieces in the sellers driveway, listed as a 28 chevy roadster pickup, as he could only find/buy a useless old registration paper to sell it... it is actually a 30 Chevy RPU chopped/channeled, Olds Powered, built in 59-60 at the oldest Boston area rod club formed in 1957 and "occupied" by A Judges rule, that offered juvenile delinquents, that membership...or jail.  I think we relate to it as "the old hotrod up in the barn"?

I always thought it was strange to name a car too.. Mom always called ALL of their cars "Betsy", but I never named one until we got the 63 Austin Mini about 28 years ago...and still have not named another one.  The Minis name ?  Pooter.   You ever heard an old A series engine with a glass pack ?, ha !

Back in the early sixties I had 6 Pontiacs, one from each year 26-31, a 26 Studebaker and a 53 Buick all licensed.  License numbers 57X2 through 57X9.  I referred to them as  X2, X3 etc.  Many years later a First Nations friend and co-worker said my Pontiac (daily drive) was a tin Indian.  Thus was born Tinindian.

I never really gave any of my cars a name, but a friend of mine asked if he could have a ride in "Casper" and the name just stuck. Most people don't get the name at all, and that's OK. Could have called it "salt" and my black Tahoe, "pepper". Casper the friendly ghost, goes way back in the day for us old timers. So fast it almost disappears.

Scan 132540011.jpg

• Like 3

The first car I hauled to Oregon was the A. I named her "Ms. Daisy" so I could say I was "Driving Ms. Daisy."

My father called the Bronco "The Bumble Bee". He even had hats and shirts made with that on it. 

I call the Fairlane "Pinky" although I am entertaining renaming her another, less prissy name. 

Most of the other cars I call by their year of manufacture. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

I could never understand why people gave inanimate objects such as cars, names. It was popular during the '50s and early '60s with custom cars and "lead sleds" to paint a name on the Continental Kit. It was usually something like "Peggy Sue" or "Angel Baby", popular songs back then. There had to be dozens of each and it wasn't hard to see two or more "Peggy Sue's" at one car show. I guess some people think it's cute or to treat the car as a family member, but I still don't get it.

Boats are named, why not cars? I realize it's not everyone's thing but I like to. 

• Like 1

Some of the cars have names, some don't.

57 AutoFair 2009 Fins 1XxT.jpg

The '57 Roadmaster Riviera Sedan is "The Roadmistress," 'cause she's too pretty to have a masculine name.

Louise New Bern 1XTx.jpg

I get to live with "Miss Louise," the '60 Buick Invicta Flattop named for her fist owner, a 65 year old lady who bought the car new and learned to drive with it. 

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I had a Honda S2000 that went like a little witch on the back roads before I sold it too buy the 38 Studebaker. The 38 drives much differently  so it had to be called "The Beast"

Gracie 'the mutt' loves the running boards as it makes it easy to get in and out 

IMG_0027.JPG

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Why me 1915 Buick is coined the Chartreuse Lady. Most everyone on here already knows that. The name came from my close and now departed friend Pete Wing that said, "Oh. That is one neat chartreuse car." At that moment the thought flashed though my mind that the car is a lady and Chartreuse would be her name. 1947d8c5ec2f9504d839ba7df1772f3c.jpg

• Like 3

Guest Skyking
14 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

The first car I hauled to Oregon was the A. I named her "Ms. Daisy" so I could say I was "Driving Ms. Daisy."

My father called the Bronco "The Bumble Bee". He even had hats and shirts made with that on it. 

I call the Fairlane "Pinky" although I am entertaining renaming her another, less prissy name. 

Most of the other cars I call by their year of manufacture. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wow,  that '57 is PRETTY!!  Not any wonder why they outsold Chevrolet........

You don't need to name your cars.  If you listen to them, they will tell you their names.  Here's the names of mine:

1966 Corvair: Junie B

1969 VW: Pearl

1917 Overland: Katy

2013 Escalade: Orca

2008 Solara: Zenyatta

1999 Dodge Ram: Brutus

2004 Chrisler Crossfire: Crissy

Others I have owned:

1932 Chevrolet: Chester

1956 VW: Sampson

1947 Pontiac: Lydia

1949 Ford F1 Pickup: Amos

• Like 1

I belong to a skating group (2-3 times a week), one of the women (a real car buff) bought a new Mini in Hunter Green and affectionately calls it Hunter. So I started calling my Volvo C30 Turbo "Sven". soon another friend was calling her medium green Camry "Olive", and now another couple has named their new Lexus SUV "Alexis" when she is driving it, and "Alex" when he is driving it. We don't use these pet names with other friends, only among this close group of friends, gives us a common bond/conversation starter besides "how's the weather"!  

I was having coffee with a few guys this morning. My '86 convertible was parked across the parking lot from the window. And I mentioned giving cars names. Art was sitting across from me and I asked him what to name the car. Art is 91 years old and has tourettes disorder.

Well, we got his opinion anyway.

I think I'll just continue calling it The Convertible.

Bernie

• Like 1

My neighbor refers to my big Buick as "the antique".  Used as follows, "when are you going to get that antique in the garage and out of sight"? Other neighbors have offered names like "wasting your time", but that is too long.  My wife named one of them "Oh dear - not again", but that too is longer than I want.  One of my daughters named on of them "Is that my college tuition?".  The parts guy at NAPA refers to the car as "Geez, lemme see if we go back that far".  My prefered names are:

"the big Buick" for the '40 Roadmaster

"the little Buick for the '40 Super

"the Mustang" for the '67

"the old truck" for the '41 Ford pickup, and

"the one that's almost paid off" for the 2015 F150

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TG57Roadmaster said:

Some of the cars have names, some don't.

57 AutoFair 2009 Fins 1XxT.jpg

The '57 Roadmaster Riviera Sedan is "The Roadmistress," 'cause she's too pretty to have a masculine name.

Louise New Bern 1XTx.jpg

I get to live with "Miss Louise," the '60 Buick Invicta Flattop named for her fist owner, a 65 year old lady who bought the car new and learned to drive with it. 

TG

Apparently I'm a big fan of your automotive tastes! I have never seen either of these cars before today and just love their artistry. The Riviera reminds me a bit of my first car, the '57 Cadillac I've mentioned here before.

• Like 2

I have called some of my cars names, right before I got rid of them.

One in particular: a 1966 Comet that the sub-frame pulled away from the firewall on both sides, causing the driveshaft to pop out and lay in the street.

On June 8, 2017 at 10:21 AM, 46 woodie said:

I could never understand why people gave inanimate objects such as cars, names. I guess some people think it's cute or to treat the car as a family member, but I still don't get it.

I think it's just plain stupid. Do these geniuses also give names to their bicycles, riding lawnmowers and wheelbarrows? If not, why? You give a name to an animal like a dog or cat so they will come when you call them. Naming any kind of a vehicle is stupid unless you race it a quarter mile at a time.... :wacko: