New Member of the family - a Cadillac!

Just about an hour ago my brother got his new old car, a 1989 Cadillac Coupe deVille! When we took this ride after he got here, it was my first time ever being in a Cadillac. 

I will finally be able to achieve my lifelong dream of entering a car show/cruise. This dream has been unfulfilled for nearly 40 years now, but hopefully will change by the end of this coming week, if the weather holds out for the cruises to happen. 

2v2e5nB79x2zUmm.jpg

2v2e5nBRux2zUmm.jpg

2v2e5nBsMx2zUmm.jpg

It's not in perfect shape but that's fine. It runs, it is old enough, that's all I care about 😁 I've always loved the taillight design on these Cadillacs too.

I know most of this forum will not really think it's old enough, but this car is 35 years old. It's old! 

Old cars are not my brother's thing- he goes to the shows with me because I am not able to drive but it doesn't affect him the way it affects me- but when the opportunity to acquire this car came up he did think about getting it specifically so we could enter the local cruises sometimes, knowing it's something I've always wanted to do. 

And soon, it will actually happen....somebody pinch me, haha. 

• Like 30

Hey Billy,

That’s great news! Enjoy the car. If you think 1989 taint old, try turning up with something built in 1997! Age is in the eye of the beholder. Well done and post some pics of you first cruise night!

cheers

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 4

Congrats on the Caddy!

It certainly is old enough for shows these days although most of us feel like those cars were new not that long ago.  :D

But that is just because we all tend to be a bunch of old codgers around here.

The car looks like it's in great shape.

Have fun experiencing a car show from 'the other side' for a change.

I look forward to the pictures from your first event.

• Like 3

Not much in the world better than good family! Sounds like there are some good people in yours.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the "old car" hobby from any good vantage point! Quite a few regulars on this forum would consider that a fine collector automobile! My dad loved '70s and '80s Cadillacs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And I just thought of something. 

Now you need to find a model of that car you can build. 

If they've never made a model how about a promo car?

It would look great with the rest of your models.

• Like 3

Billy, you and your brother enjoy the Caddy.  I happen to own a 2000 Eldorado.  Although it's not an "antique" (yet), I get in it, I drive it, and never want to get out of it.  It's the smoothest riding car I've owned.

WP_20130517_002.jpg

WP_20130517_008.jpg

WP_20130517_004.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, zepher said:

And I just thought of something. 

Now you need to find a model of that car you can build. 

If they've never made a model how about a promo car?

It would look great with the rest of your models.

A great idea but the last Cadillac promotional model car was a '79 Coupe deVille by Jo-Han.  Then Revell came out with this:

image.png.20bc8b8a824ca37ed5b651631411dc1a.png

• Like 2

Congratulations! I am heading out for our chapter Cadillac LaSalle Club meeting today at noon. I always look forward to them, good bunch.

There are a few contributors to the forum whom have snapped up these future collector cars early and very happy. Even my '05 will be 20 years old in a few months.

That 4.9 of yours is a good one.

IMG_0221(1).JPG.d2739bf91180383f0f59bed32c83f9d6.JPG

• Like 2

Thank you everyone! I'm still pretty happy and still hard to believe it's really true. 

Yes that is Wappingers PO. I have a box there so we stopped and checked it on the first ride, haha. 

I just bought a solid block of resin Sedan DeVille that's not as rough as that half a 60 Impala, but...it's not great. I'm not sure I have the skills to convert it into a Coupe DeVille yet, but hopefully someday. 

Thinking about it today this may be the first v8 my family has had in my lifetime. I don't remember what was in some of the earlier stuff though. I only remember the cars we've had from 1991-current, all 6s. 

I have photos of my family cars dating back to the 1930s and this is the only gray one I can recall too. 

My family is awesome. I really lucked out there. I see so many horror stories online and am always thankful that isn't the case for me. Just last year my brother and I drove to Utah from here in NY, and then down to Roswell NM because it is someplace I've always wanted to see. 

• Like 5

Hi Billy,

Congrats on having both a great brother, and the ability to enjoy a vintage car.

"I'LL BET IT RIDES LIKE A CADILLAC !!"

Seriously, wishing you, and your brother the very best.

By the way, in addition to my 1941 and 1954 Cadillacs,

our 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, newer than yours, is a tour car too.

• Like 1

I had a 1985 Sedan de Ville. I really enjoyed that car. It was a daily driver for sales calls back in the day. Mine was Black Cherry with a maroon red velure interior. Great ride.

• Like 2

Congrats to your brother on his 'new' car purchase. My sons first car was a '88 Sedan de Ville, much like what Daves89 described. Except his had leather interior which was pretty much toasted by the time he bought it. I am glad you finally got to ride in a Caddy. My grandmother would get a new one every other year and I always enjoyed riding around with her when I was a kid. Because of that reason I have a soft spot for big Cadillacs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again everyone! Last night I got to fulfill a lifelong dream, of being a participant in a car show, not just a spectator! I've had that dream for at least 36 years now, possibly even longer. 

It was as much fun as I thought it would be, and it won't be the last time. We have two easily accessible cruises in the Hudson Valley every week, Tuesday at the 84 Diner in Fishkill and Wednesday at the Advance Auto Parts in Hyde Park. I surely won't make all of them but definitely going to go to as many as possible. 

IMG_20240612_192209327_HDR.jpg

Edited by Billy Kingsley
Typo (see edit history)
  • Like 15

14 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

We have two easily accessible cruises in the Hudson Valley every week, Tuesday at the 84 Diner in Fishkill and Wednesday at the Advance Auto Parts in Hyde Park

Billy - you should check out the Smoke Haus car show every Monday night out in East Fishkill ( intersection of RT.82 & Old Hopewell Road ) it starts at 6pm, but people start arriving after 4pm.....and every Wednesday, at Bear Mountain State Park - this is huge, you have people showing up from the tri-state area to attend this!

Steve

https://www.bearmountaincarcruise.org/

https://efprovisionssmokehaus.com/car-shows

• Like 5