This is going to HURT! Take a look at our new display car at AACA!

My mother always said, "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything".

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe if you lowered the suspension a bit instead of maintaining the Ford truck ride height.  Maybe it would look more like the LeSabre it was emulating.  Has anyone determined what AACA class this will be in for judging?  Just asking.

One man's ugly is another man's beautiful.  I personally like this car as an icon of its era.  The only other I have ever seen is an original car in Dale Walksler's Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, North Carolina.  (It was love at first sight.)  Dale has passed, but perhaps they have some information that would be useful in your research.  I look forward to seeing this one on my next visit to Hershey.  Thanks to Ralph and Wayne for sharing!

Edited by Akstraw
added info (see edit history)
  • Like 4

A lot is lost by taking the car out of context. There are a few 1957 cars that could have made the presentation better that three cars all decades apart.

Or an older car with a mid-50s update.

The HUFF REPORT - UGLY KUSTOMS!

The car is interesting but the comments from the guardians of the old car hobby dogma can have their own effect.

Topper Cary Grant movie • Eve Out of the Garden

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

By George, that one takes the cake. The flower power top is a great finishing touch on a colossal waste of time, money and print space (not to mention at least 4 or 5 likely decent original cars). I suppose it is still being toured as a testament to the abject foolishness (and lack of taste) of some too affluent businesses in the '70's. Would have turned me away from ever dealing with Hanover Trust.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, old car fan said:

Did this car come from  Lee Hartung auction.Unable to find any info.

No the Hartung car was bid on by Wayne but he backed off when he found out Dale wanted the car badly.  Dale had previously backed off a motorcycle for Wayne.  I was at that incredible auction...most fun I have ever had at an auction and I came home with stuff!  BTW, the Veritas that sold at Hartung, brought $195,500 unrestored and a bit rough!

I have been rather amused by all the comments here and on Facebook but am happy that it has people talking and interested in the car and the builder's history.  We hope to provide a lot more in the future.

As a bonus to getting this car for display (will not be judged but it might be approved for class 35A) is that a well known collection has offered us any car we want in the future.  They have a boatload of very, very significant cars that even Mr. Minnie would approve of!

• Like 7

Going back to the LeSabre.

Harley Earl's obsession (ok, fanaticism) with aircraft-inspired styling led to the LeSabre as well as Cadillac tailfins, Oldsmobile headlight simulated jet air intakes and lord knows what else in the early 50s.

Now- consider if the LeSabre got rid of the hood bump and cyclops headlights, flattened the hood and moved the headlights to the outer edges of the side grilles, and ditched the propeller theme of the center grille. Get rid of the tiny bullet taillights in favor of a long, narrow taillight integrated into a toned-down tailfin and...

GM would have beat Chrysler to "suddenly it's 1960" by 6 years and influenced styling on into the 1960s.

Which Bill Mitchell took and ran with.

• Like 2

While it isn't my cup of tea I certainly appreciate Wayne and Ralph's work to preserve this car. I also appreciate the AACA's willingness to display such a foot note to automotive history which keeps life and the hobby interesting. Duesenberg? Nice but seen it... Spohn? Now that is odd but interesting. I have to wonder what the thought process was behind it. Very neat bit of history.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, edinmass said:

Since I know Wayne and Ralph well, they won’t mind…

I've never met them.  Ed, what was their rationale

in buying such an unusual car?  I assume they must

like the style, or the story behind it--or maybe they

accidentally bid on the wrong lot?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rocketraider said:

LeSabre concept:

1951-le-sabre-02-840x600.jpg

The styling of the Spohn was bad, but looking at the LeSabre concept car that rocketraider posted brings up another thing that the Spohn had going against it: the 1950's was a very transitional decade. I.e., styling elements  - especially outrageous styling elements - weren't very long lived. They lost their appeal quickly. The Spohn was obviously visually inspired by the LeSabre, but the LeSabre was from 1951 and the Spohn was introduced a half a dozen years after that, which was almost a lifetime back in the '50's (in terms of styling.) I would imagine that the few things (and I mean few) that were visually appealing about the Spohn were starting to look "old" even when it was first introduced. However, it was of European origin, so maybe that made a difference. I'm surprised there was enough demand for this weird car to even make 200 of them.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Harley Earl's obsession (ok, fanaticism) with aircraft-inspired styling led to the LeSabre as well as Cadillac tailfins, Oldsmobile headlight simulated jet air intakes and lord knows what else in the early 50s.

Growing up I remember the biggest lie of the 1950s was "I was a pilot in WWII". A standard pickup line in bars and from most of the wannbee's who came into our shop. That's who those cars were designed for. And the gauges. You could buy an altimeter for your car at Western Auto. They were on the high shelf above the lower bin with the chrome diecast stars and shiny nut covers.

Anything remotely aircraft was a design/selling feature.

It is a context thing, more than just the car. It's cultural.

24 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Growing up I remember the biggest lie of the 1950s was "I was a pilot in WWII". A standard pickup line in bars and from most of the wannbee's who came into our shop. That's who those cars were designed for. And the gauges. You could buy an altimeter for your car at Western Auto. They were on the high shelf above the lower bin with the chrome diecast stars and shiny nut covers.

Anything remotely aircraft was a design/selling feature.

It is a context thing, more than just the car. It's cultural.

Thats funny, I can imagine. BUT, my uncle was a legit WWII Pilot.

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I've never met them.  Ed, what was their rationale

in buying such an unusual car?  I assume they must

like the style, or the story behind it--or maybe they

accidentally bid on the wrong lot?

John, they bid on the car due to the fact that it was unusual and they like unusual to add  to their collections.  It is a piece of history and they liked that as well.  They both have some funny comments about the car but they also appreciate it as another piece of the jigsaw puzzle that is our hobby.  I'm not Ed  (I think he is at the Pierce-Arrow Meet) but I know both gentlemen very well.  They are both car guys through and through and have collections to die for!  Plenty of gorgeous cars and lots of one of a kind ones!

• Thanks 1

I’m guessing I have a fairly good clue as to why they bought it. I’m not certain, and I don’t want to betray the trust of the gentleman. There are many large car collections that look for unique and rare one off items, regardless of their appearance or taste. I expect in the long run it will end up at a fairly prominent in public car collection. Remember putting an interesting Duesenberg on the ground in Museum will cost you a $5 million check. I don’t know what this thing sold for, but it takes up a space for not a lot of money.

Styling wise the one thing that the Hartung car and the Buick LeSabre have in common that present the appearance in a much better frame of vision is the styling sweep at the side of the car that directs the eye from front to rear and the lighter color. The red car appears "heavy" to view., bulky.  Note on the Hartung car how the top edge of the curve in front of the door then flows into the top of the door and continues on to the curve of the rear fender that flips up to the fin at the rear.  Your eye does not focus on the front end of that car at all. The lighter color on the LeSabre and the Hartung car also play a big factor in how you view the car, the red color on the other car acts as a bulls eye.

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

I don’t know what this thing sold for, but it takes up a space for not a lot of money.

Well, put that way, it sounds like something I would own!  ;)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

By George, that one takes the cake. The flower power top is a great finishing touch on a colossal waste of time, money and print space (not to mention at least 4 or 5 likely decent original cars). I suppose it is still being toured as a testament to the abject foolishness (and lack of taste) of some too affluent businesses in the '70's. Would have turned me away from ever dealing with Hanover Trust.

Manny Hanny commissioned two of those rolling examples, 'Anycar I' & 'Anycar II' in the early 1970's to prove they would loan an individual money for 'any' car, new, used, or antique as long as their credit rating was good.  Whether the PR value of them resulted in an increased amount of car loans, or gained some new Manny Hanny customers, I never heard if they were worth the effort in the end.

Craig 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I believe Duesenberg actually had one.   And that was before 'everyone was a fighter pilot' in WWII.

Craig