How do I turn on the Radio? Clueless Car Features of this century

1937hd45

Its December 9, 2022 nobody I know has a 2022 vehicle of any brand, so the offer to ever drive a 2022 is a good 20 years in my future, I'll be 92 then. Never owned a vehicle built in this century, came close with a used  1999 Oldsmobile, so the question is what features in "Modern" cars are you CLUELESS as to their operation? I'll start with turning on the radio and finding a station in a language that you are fluent in, and adjusting the volume. 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

I do have a 2021 Ford Expedition with many features.  Unfortunately, many of them only function if I press the correct button.  Most of the buttons are located low on the dash, have very small letters that only a 20-something could read, and all are the same shape with smooth surfaces so you can't go by feel.  Some are identified only by strange, counter-intuitive symbols.  It takes too many seconds to visually scan the buttons to find the right one while I'm not looking at the road or the 18-year old girl in the clapped-out Dodge Neon who just cut me off while she talks on the phone and is braking hard to make the driveway into McDonalds.  So, call me clueless because I can't easily operate the features that are in the car.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

When I was a kid, I used to laugh that my parents didn't know how to program the VCR.   It was so easy, how could they not figure that out?     If they wanted a show recorded, they woud ask me to do it. And now, when I want to find a channel on the TV, I usually ask my kids how to do it.... 

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, junkyardjeff said:

I was thinking about buying a new car early this year but having to take what they had coming in and 3000 above sticker turned me off so I am driving a 1990 Town car.

I had the use of a Lincoln Town Car my son in law owned for well over a year, we junked it just shy of a one year AACA show field eligibility. Filled it several times with just enough room to drive after estate sale library buy outs. 

I just picked up a 2023 car for my wife who wanted a sedan, not an suv.  It seems to me that all of the electronics and touch screens are the biggest factor in distracted driving. There is a separate 3/4 inch thick book just on the navigation system.  Unfortunately you cannot by a car today without all of these features whether you want them or not.

Edited by 31plymouth (see edit history)
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, 31plymouth said:

I just picked up a 2023 car for my wife who wanted a sedan, not an suv.  It seems to me that all of the electronics and touch screens are the biggest factor in distracted driving. There is a separate 3/4 inch thick book just on the navigation system.  Unfortunatly you cannot by a car today without all of these features whether you want them of not.

I'm not asking Weather Tech for a kick back or anything, just wondering if they offer a mat to cover that screen in the center of the  dash of all the new cars. 

Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I bought a 2003 Nissan frontier for a winter beater.  For a Northeast vehicle,  it's almost too nice for that,  but I hate rust.  It fortunately doesn't have the screen mess that my wife's 2019 Tacoma has,  but even the Nissan radio has proven to be a PIA.  It only has some kind of seek and scan feature with no real tuning.  Unfortunately the one station I like is just weak enough it won't lock onto it,  so I'm cruising back and forth around it but can't get it to lock in.

Guess I'm going to have to drive 20 miles south to get the station to come in clear,  then lock it in as a preset,  however I do that.   Then my luck the battery will crap out and I'll have to do it all over again.  

The wife's Toyota is crazy.  

I also find the videos playing at the gas station on the pump annoying. Especially when you are trying to listen for the gas coming up the filler tube as the auto shut offs never work until it's puked a bunch out on the ground and all over the side of your old car or truck. 

• Like 4

The newest vehicle I currently own is a 2014. Pretty straightforward operation except for buttons on the backside of the steering wheel I can't seem to get used to. I guess after 43 years of driving and needing to reach over and turn a knob to tune the radio or change the volume it's hard to get used to pressing buttons you can't even see.

My buddy's Mom bought a new car last year. The engine shuts off at every stop and re-starts when the brake is released. It gives a warning sound if you veer out of your lane and it automatically brakes if you're too close to something. Features I suppose to increase fuel mileage and enhance safety. I really don't want a car that tries to do my driving for me and I told my Buddy I'd never buy a car with features like that. He said "well, you'll probably never own another new car then". He might be right.

• Like 1

I have a 2017 PHEV with a Harmon Kardon radio/Nav package.

It is a decently intuitive unit with both touch and actual knobs or buttons to make it do what you want it to do.

Even though the factory head unit has Nav I rarely use that system and usually use my cell phone instead.

My 2002 Buick Century is fairly simple,but it still has too much crap on it for me. It has a radio,CD player,and a cassette player so I'm never without music,if I want it. I'm a musician,but I get tired of being bombarded with music everywhere you go 24/7. I love music as much as anyone,but I also like silence at times. That's what I like about old cars: you start it up and drive. I like listening to the engine and other sounds,feeling the road,the smells of an old car,just driving the car without any distractions. There's nothing to do but drive the car,which I love. I think it makes you a better driver,too.

• Like 2

Bought a new Ram 3500 a bit over a year ago.

I keep a list of things that I want my son-in-law to program for me next time he rides with me.

The latest was that every time I start the thing the heated seat AND the heated steering wheel activates. I like these features but would like to choose when I want them.

There are several settings that will not allow unless the truck is in park.

I can turn the screen off as queried above. And it will dim way down at night if I want it to (which I always do) I often discover things that I didn't know it would do.

Somehow it started to lower the outside mirrors whenever I put it in reverse, fortunately the son-in-law figured that out.

My 2019 jeep still does things that i don,t know why or understand. I have no idea how to make the lights work. I just let them come on or off as they please. The car will not let me move if a door is ajar and yet it will let me try to drive in the garage with the rear hatch open. $$$$$.......bob

21 minutes ago, zepher said:

I have a 2017 PHEV with a Harmon Kardon radio/Nav package.

It is a decently intuitive unit with both touch and actual knobs or buttons to make it do what you want it to do.

Even though the factory head unit has Nav I rarely use that system and usually use my cell phone instead.

WOW! Even brand loyalty is dead, embarrassed to mention what you drive? PHEV, another successful Google search. 

• Haha 1

Easier than ever to turn on the radio!!  At least THREE ways in the same vehicle now~1) manually touch the '1-in-the-0' icon on the touchscreen, 2) keep your hands on the wheel, and look for the pushbutton in the center of it, or say "Alexa....( and say your favorite radio station call letters)".

Craig

About the only way I can figure out some of the features on our 2021 Honda CRV is to go on-line and watch a YouTube video for what I am attempting to figure out.  One example, there is a setting on the lights to have them automatically switch between high beam and low beam when it detects another vehicle coming.  They would stay on high beam in town with the city light on and only turn off when I met another vehicle....drove me nuts.    I couldn't figure out how to switch them to manual until I went on YouTube.  Took a couple of steps but, not obvious until I watched the video.  

Tim

I bought a new 1993 Mercury with automatic transmission, not "modern" now but it was then.  The first time I tried to drive it after getting it home, the gearshift would not move out of park.  Rather upset, I called the salesman.  He said, "Did you remember to step on the brake?"  It was the first car I owned that had the interlock. 🤣

8 minutes ago, CHuDWah said:

I bought a new 1993 Mercury with automatic transmission, not "modern" now but it was then.  The first time I tried to drive it after getting it home, the gearshift would not move out of park.  Rather upset, I called the salesman.  He said, "Did you remember to step on the brake?"  It was the first car I owned that had the interlock. 🤣

I had the same problem with '94 GMC Safari van, because of that interlock switch malfunction, but it happened at the inspection booth while crossing the border from Canada to USA.

Luckily it was before 911, so no SWAT team was involved:) 

Edited by Skvitt (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, Oldsmobile 83 said:

They would stay on high beam in town with the city light on and only turn off when I met another vehicle....drove me nuts. 

My cousin's husband bought a new Pontiac around 1977. He picked it up in the evening and drove home with the high beams on. He pressed his foot all over the floor and couldn't find the dimmer switch. He was enraged when he called the dealership to complain. The salesman calmly told him the switch was on the steering column stalk. After a long quiet pause he blurted out "Well, how am I supposed to get my foot up THERE?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Skvitt said:

I had the same problem with '94 GMC Safari van, because of that interlock switch malfunction, but it happened at the inspection booth while crossing the border from Canada to USA.

My problem was "operator malfunction." 🤣 Since then, I've owned other vehicles with the interlock and haven't had any trouble with it.  Course now I'm in the habit of stepping on the brake without even thinking about it.

17 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

The only thing your left leg had to do in a car with an automatic, hit the dimmer switch on the floor. 

Well due to a long-standing disability, my right foot can work the accelerator but moving it to the brake is difficult.  So I use my left for that.  Yeah, not the safest but it works and I haven't killed anybody yet. 😁

Actually, the stalk dimmer is better for me.  There occasionally was need to hit the foot dimmer and the brake at the same time (yeah, the brake always won!)

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CHuDWah said:

Well due to a long-standing disability, my right foot can work the accelerator but moving it to the brake is difficult.  So I use my left for that.  Yeah, not the safest but it works and I haven't killed anybody yet. 😁

With the cars I owned  as a youngen to keep them running it took both feet and most of the time it would have been easier with a third.

What was scary was when I could not use my right foot, my left foot used the gas petal like the clutch.

I'm happy with my 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS as a daily, and my 1981 Monte Carlo SC as a "fun" car. So, nothing all that modern here.

HOWEVER ... rode in a cousin's 2021 Hyundai Sonata this past summer ... and it took FOREVER us to figure out how to change the radio to AM to listen to a baseball game. I quipped: "This is why I like my older car." LOL

Cort, pig and cow valves with pacemaker
2003 MGM LS + 1981 cmc SC; need 1975 Chrysler Cordoba
"No store bought gifts to open, but there'll be Christmas just the same" | Kenny Rogers | 'Kentucky Homemade Christmas'

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

WOW! Even brand loyalty is dead, embarrassed to mention what you drive? PHEV, another successful Google search. 

It is rather utilitarian Plug-in Hybrid Kia Optima sedan.
Nothing really special or notable about the car other than it is a PHEV that gets about 65mpg depending on how much I plug in.

We were with another couple in San Francisco a few years ago and decided to go down to Monterey via the coast highway. We rented a brand new car car, I drove down in the morning. We spent the day and Jim drove back in the afternoon. The coast highway is twisting and hilly. It can also be buggy. Jim was very mad as there was no washer fluid in a brand new rental. He kept pushing the washer switch and nothing happened on the windshield but we kept going faster and faster. When the tires started squealing in the turns I asked him which switch he was pushing. He showed me and I told him that was the cruise control not the window washer. The washer worked great using the right switch. Jim’s every day driver was the same make and model as the rental just a year older. I’ve never let him live it down. 
dave s 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

"Trust me" BMW drivers pay no attention.

The ones around here prove that every day.

I used to give Volvo drivers wide berth because they were so unpredictable. Now it's Beemers and Nissans. I don't think most of them even try to figure out their over-gadgeted cars.

After retiring in 2016 I decided to buy myself a new truck with intent of it being last vehicle I'd ever buy. I had the Mercury in the Ford store for service and went to the showroom to get an F-series brochure.

The thing was the size of a medium sized city's phone book (something else that's disappearing) and two-thirds of it was dedicated to the electronic gadgetry- the vast majority of which I'd never use and would probably disconcert me if the truck did it on its own. Ended up with a low-mile 08 F150 that still has gadgets I don't know about.

It's like when the powerplant switched to digital touchscreen controls. I had a 6 foot wide analog panel that had everything I needed to operate the thing, laid out logically and easy to view.

The touchscreen "upgrade" (term used loosely) gave me ten screens to monitor, spread out over 12 feet, and required toggling between dozens of control screens on each monitor to get to the one you needed. Not a good thing when time was critical.

And it was obvious whoever designed it had never operated a big powerplant.

Same as I believe some of the people who keep cramming all this electronic gadgetry into vehicles have never actually driven one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Backup camera. One of the few gadgets I consider to be actually useful. Automatically turning down side mirrors? Meh. If I need to I can do that myself. If it's automatic that's one more thing to break. Besides, I might not WANT to look down at the pavement when I'm backing up. Might actually want to see what's behind and to the sides.

Then there's the matter of these "features" being already incorporated into the vehicle's brain, but the manufacturer makes you pay a subscription fee to activate them. For what new vehicles cost, the features should be included in the purchase price.

• Like 1

My daily is a 2013 f 150 and our newest car, my wifes mustang is a 2014. Not a lot of gadgets on either one, theyre pretty easy to figure things out. On the other hand, I was on vacation last month and we rented a new Denali GMC Suburban. Boy was that thing nice!! (I need to win the lottery) It took us about 3 days just to figure out how to run the climate control system, it was overly complicated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

My cousin's husband bought a new Pontiac around 1977. He picked it up in the evening and drove home with the high beams on. He pressed his foot all over the floor and couldn't find the dimmer switch. He was enraged when he called the dealership to complain. The salesman calmly told him the switch was on the steering column stalk. After a long quiet pause he blurted out "Well, how am I supposed to get my foot up THERE?"

My solution was not that easy.  This is what the YouTube educated me on how to do it.  Would not have been able to figure this out on my own.

How do you turn off auto high beam 2021 CRV?

∎ Turning the System On or Off

To disable the system: When the vehicle is on and parked, pull the headlight lever towards you and hold it for 40 seconds. The auto high-beam indicator blinks twice. To re-enable the system: Pull the headlight lever towards you and hold it for 30 seconds.
Tim

I just purchased a new high end Chevy Silverado and more than once my wife and I are driving down the road and she is reading the owners manual trying to figure out how something works.

For engineering and marketing, "Just because you can(do/add something) does not mean you should".  Add complexity for the average customer.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

On a recent trip to Italy, we had a Skoda Karoq rental car.  The engine would shut off at a traffic light.  In Europe when traffic lights go from red to green, they go red, amber, green unlike North America which goes red to green with no amber.  After a couple of days of driving we realized that if we were close to the traffic light the engine would restart when the light went to amber even though I still had my foot on the brake.