What Car Clubs do you still belong to and why?

alsancle

Recent topic on the decline of clubs made me think of this.   What clubs do you belong to and what ones did you drop and why?

Currently belong to:

1. CCCA,  New England Region - publications and the caravans

2. AACA - forum and Herhsey

3. Stutz Club - own a Stutz

4. Steam Car Club of America - I want a steam car.

5. Reo Club of America - own a Reo

6. Willys Overland Knight Register  - own a Stearns

7. Rolls Royce Club of America.  Phantom II society,  Early Post War Society.  We have had RR since I was born.

8.  Auburn Cord Duesenberg Club.   We have had ACD cars since before I was born.

I've dropped out of these for various reasons:

1.  Pierce Arrow Society - Ed made me join and I was thinking about getting a car but probably not at this point.

2. Mercedes Benz Club of America - member for years,  prewar is an afterthought.

3. Graham Owners Club - member for years but interests drifted away

4. Hupmobile Club - wanted a 32-33 Cycle Fender but never materialized

5. Nash Owners Club - wanted a 32 Ambassador but never materialized

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My list is in my signature and on the left there. Mostly I join clubs for cars that I own, plus the Pierce-Arrow Society because I want to own a Pierce someday, the AACA for obvious reasons, and the VMCCA because they actually drive their cars.

I quit the CLC after a disaster at a national meet that involved being forced to park in the wrong spot, having my car opened and pushed out of the way while I wasn't there so someone else could have that spot, and nobody in charge did anything about it or even apologized for the clusterfoot that it became. Oh, and the magazine featured an article I wrote but picturing someone else's car with my name on it so everyone got angry at me for trying to pass off someone else's car as my own. Yeah, I'm out.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Current:

AACA -

It is the grandaddy of clubs, forum, magazine, hershey

(Dropped local, too many chiefs..)

Mercedes Benz Club of America (MBCA) -

High quality pub, covers 50s - 80s well.  We have an 89 SL.

MBCA local region - not real active, but it comes with national.  Nice folks but not old car people for the most part.  

Model A Restorer's Club (MARC)

A must for Model A owners IMO

Dropped local years ago, should probably rejoin.

The Packard Club (PAC) -

Pubs, contacts, meets, local.

North Atlantic Region of PAC - New members, I have high hopes for this region.

Past:

CCCA

Model A Ford Club of America

Model T Ford Club of America

Ancient Past:

Vintage Triumph Register

Classic Chevy Club (55-57)

The now defunct Western MA Triumph Club, a local region of the VTR, was a great combo of social, technical and all the good things a local region is.  Like many clubs though, it was key person dependent.  Those super involved went on to other things and it ended, but that was after we had faded from the scene, two seaters and young families didn't mix well for us.

I think not joining a marque specific club, if one owns a car that fits the designation, is short changing your experience in the hobby.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'm in AACA, CCCA (want to own a full classic some day), and PAC. Previously joined MARC, dropped it. Likely to join MTFCA or the HCCA in a few years after I quit moving every few years and can actually expand my collection.

47 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Recent topic on the decline of clubs made me think of this.   What clubs do you belong to and what ones did you drop and why?

Currently belong to:

1. CCCA,  New England Region

2. AACA

3. Stutz Club

5. Reo Club of America

6. Willys Overland Knight Register

7. Rolls Royce Club of America.  Phantom II society,  Early Post War Society.

8.  Auburn Cord Duesenberg Club

1.  Pierce Arrow Society - Ed made me join and I was thinking about getting a car but probably not at this point.

2. Mercedes Benz Club of America - member for years,  prewar is an afterthought.

What is the Phantom II society? I have a PII Continental but am unaware of the society 

AACA for Hershey and this forum, HCCA because all my cars are pre-'16 and their people and tours and magazine are wonderful, VMCCA only so I can go on their 1-and 2-cylinder tour, both national Model T clubs, Antique Steam Touring Club because I'm crazy, and several local HCCA regional groups.

Edited by oldcarfudd
I goofed! (see edit history)

-AACA National 

-Oldsmobile Club of America 

-National Antique Olds Club 

-Toronado Owners Association 

-Hurst/Olds Club of America 

***edit- alsancle has asked why we belong to these clubs.

I have 5 Oldsmobiles: two 1964 Starfires, a 1969 W34 Toronado, a 1974 Hurst/Olds Indy Pace Car replica, and a 1976 Ninety Eight Regency.

The Oldsmobile-oriented clubs cover them, and AACA covers them and other old cars collectively. After the Forums came into existence I decided AACA was worthy of becoming a Life Member so I did. 

I was a founding member of our local OCA Chapter which has sadly gone by the wayside because of a freshly elected OCA National president's efforts to discredit the work I did as an OCA Zone director. Busted my ass for ten years trying to develop their Southeast Zone and then that a-hole blindsided me by announcing to the entire club via its magazine that I hadn't done my job as a Zone director and needed to be replaced.

Twenty years later that's why I no longer take on leadership roles in any organization I'm in. Politics and personal vendettas ruin club experiences for a lot of people.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program...😺 ***

There are a couple of local AACA groups I've thought about joining.

Left POCI behind when they started allowing altered data plates. I do not like fraudulent cars and that's what that action opened that group to. To be fair, PHS documentation outed a lot of those cars and owners.

There are a lot of marque clubs I'd like to join but retiree money just won't allow it. Time you add those on top of SCV membership, Ruritans and three different county historical societies, you realize you have to draw the line somewhere. And here I am exploring membership in Sons of American Revolution and the Jamestowne Society. My own fault for digging into the family history.🙄

• Like 2

I am just down to the local Vintage Cars of Canada club. { Sounds like a cross country , national club. But it is mainly a Western Canadian club. }  Great bunch of people !  Smallish but very involved early car sub group.  PFindlay of the " British Columbia pre - war cars that have survived " thread is a key member. 

Past AACA, more or less 0 Pacific North West activity , but this web site is second to none. Very little in the magazine that interested me { brass car and British car guy }

HCCA, cost of membership for those of us North of the Border just became too high. It became a very expensive magazine sub. for me and had to be dropped.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Currently in the AACA and The Dodge Brothers Club. Was past President of the local State Of Jefferson Antique Car Club and President of the San Diego Chapter of the  W. P. C. Club. Past member of the San Diego Region of the Horseless Carriage Club of America.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

What you still belong to, is probably less important than why you left those clubs that you did. 

Like Matt describes, just one horrible experience can cause a person to walk off and sadly that (single) person is likely not going to be missed, but more likely the situation that caused their departure remains and is quietly driving others away. 

I left these un-named clubs because:

After a national judging meet the judges scores were obviously changed (by the chief judge) to disqualify a really nice car brought by a new young member and give the recognition to the old established member.

In many other situations, this club was just unethical!  The treasurer later emptied the club bank account to keep his business afloat. Established members still wanted to promote that "But he is a nice guy" and said that it wasn't fair that he had to sell his club car to replace the funds he had stolen. 

A club that seems to promote alcohol as much as cars. ALWAYS a bar and drinking time. Ok it's part of many social events, but the attendees seem too attached to it. I personally dont drink and was holding a soda during social hour. two people at two different encounters, asked what I was drinking (did it mater?) and when I said a coke they asked "What's wrong, why dont you drink?" 

Same club, local chapter I am a new local member/participant. Tour of local museum, long drive from my home. the prepaid and registered event was the tour then a BBQ at a local members house. Traffic, so I arrived late, but parked my club marque car right next to several others. I couldnt catch up with their museum tour (I did want to see the museum) and when I came out they had all left.

I drove to the house where the BBQ was, went inside and was told that they had expected me (I preregistered) but didnt know where I was. (that's OK) but they never noticed my club car in the parking lot! I was driving the same year and type that the organizer had in his garage.  At the BBQ nobody introduced themselves or seemed interested in taking to me. (they cliqued) I felt uncomfortable and just left.  To never return.  This group didnt seem that interested IN THE CARS. 

National club message board. Horror of horrors I posted a couple of pictures  of non-marque cars (to illustrate a point)

In just a few moments after doing so, I received a message from a member "Oh you should not have posted those cars" and within an hour I had a sternly worded message from the Administrator that my post had been removed because they do not allow pictures of non club marque cars for pretty much any reason.  I had some other run ins with a few other bullys on the board also. 

I was thinking of bringing my car to a meet (I had only had it for a few months) but nope!  Gone, to never return. 

Clubs will never know the people who have been driven away because of un-welcoming social behaviors shown to newer first time (or long time but limited participation) members by long established members. But the figure is larger than most imagine. 

Why do people leave clubs?

Because when they attend or otherwise participate (online?) they do not leave with a good feeling that would produce a desire to want to return.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

AACA;  to attend the Vintage tour and the Snapper;s Brass and Gas touring region events.  A local car club, which I have been a member of for 35 years.  I discontinued the HCCA after thirty years because the management replaced the long time Editor of the monthly magazine.

Current

Former

POCI----Taken over by the Custom & Modified crowd

VVCA---No substance to the national club, Chapter full of modified cars

OCA----No chapter near by

AACA---No chapter nearby, the chapter that I was in allowed modified cars 

PAAC---Full of modified cars, don't even know why they called themselves Prescott Antique Automobile Club

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Milburn Drysdale said:

What is the Phantom II society? I have a PII Continental but am unaware of the society 

When you renew your RROC membership for next year there is a section for joining the societies.  I think it was an extra 60 bucks per.  The PII one is worthwhile if you own a car because of the technical sessions.  I attended one last year at Butch Murphy's shop in Ohio and it was well worth the effort.   Also there is a newsletter that comes out periodically (say a couple of times a year) with PII only info in it.  I think you need to be a member of the society to be on the Facebook page also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, alsancle said:

Currently belong to:

1. CCCA,  New England Region

2. AACA

3. Stutz Club

5. Reo Club of America

6. Willys Overland Knight Register

7. Rolls Royce Club of America.  Phantom II society,  Early Post War Society.

8.  Auburn Cord Duesenberg Club

1.  Pierce Arrow Society - Ed made me join and I was thinking about getting a car 

You want a steam car? What the hell happened last month? 🫣 I had the ultimate car lined up…….got to get you young and helpless guys to pull the trigger! BANG!😎

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

1 minute ago, edinmass said:

You want a steam car? What the hell happened last month? 🫣 I had the ultimate car lined up…….got to get you young and helpless guys to pull the trigger! BANG!😎

Shouldn't you be in the sleeve valve club………you have a decent reason to belong.

You know I tried.   The Sleeve Valve club is the WOKR which I listed.

I should have probably asked people to explain why they belong to a particular club.  I suspect it is for the same reasons I do,  you either own a car in the club or are hoping to.

• Like 1

Current: 

AACA, life member

Packard Club -- plus PAC region (officer)

CCCA -- plus local CCCA region

Cadillac & LaSalle Club

Horseless Carriage Club -- plus local region (suckered in by 1/2 price 1st year, liked the group, then renewed at full price)

Porsche Club of America

Past: 

Packards International (I liked it, but they're not active where I now live); Pierce Arrow Society (was interested in buying one, but bought another Packard instead), Studebaker Club (was interested in buying a 1950-51, never did), Volvo Owners of America (wanted to buy a p1800 way back when they were cheap as dirt, but never found one I liked), the Kaiser Frasier Club (was interested in buying a Kaiser-Darrin, never did), probably some others I have forgotten.

I will probably drop the Porsche Club for next year (I have a daily driver, but I don't do club stuff), and might drop the CLC, too (as most CLC stuff these days is 1960s and later, and I like the pre-1950 era that is more or less covered by the CCCA already).

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

• alsancle changed the title to What Car Clubs do you still belong to and why?

The clubs I currently belong to are listed in my signature.  I used to belong to CLC.  I left after I was told that one of my Eldorado's I owned at the time were considered too young to enter in a previous National Meet (even though they had a category for them).

Edited by dship (see edit history)

I joined the Buick Club of America back in 1984, I had just purchased my 1958 Buick Special, and working on it in my driveway, and I was doing lawnmower repairs, and a guy stopped by to drop off his mower to fix, and said he liked my Buick and that he was in the Buick Club and came back and dropped of one of his Buick Bugle magazines for me to look at, I was hooked that is why I joined.

Then I found out about the local chapter the Chicagoland Buick Club and joined that, dropped out a few years later, then rejoined in about 1995.

I love Cadillac cars of the late 40's 50's and 60's and that is what attracted me to join the Cadillac LaSalle club in about 1996 dropped out for awhile because time with working and family and life, and rejoined again in about 2018.

I joined the AACA this years as I was using the forum for a short time not being a member,  and fell in love with it, all the knowledgeable people and information, and everyone wants to help each other from all parts of the world, GREAT stuff.

BEST thing I ever did was joining the AACA.

on a side note: @alsancle  I am intrigued with 1933 and 1934 Reo Semi-Automatic transmission, from your memory does Reo club membership magazine have any articles about this transmission? Do you have and service or parts manuals with this era of transmission? Anything that comes to your mind you could share?

Thanks in Advance

Bob 

EDIT: "alsancle I do not know if this is proper to ask the Reo question on this tread? If I need to change something let me know.

Edited by NailheadBob
update (see edit history)

I belong to too many clubs and look at it as support for those organizations.  I really don't have time for the 'meetings' and periodic activities though do attend some of the shows and tours.  I find the existing club structures to be too heavy handed and bureaucratic.  I get stacks of magazines that I never read as they should be online and easily searchable.  I do own cars that are eligible in all of these clubs but as far as information on the cars themselves I can easily connect with my network of people that I know for support or find stuff online in different groups.  So, to answer the question on why I belong to the clubs, it is either because I have to in order to participate in an event or two that I want to during the year or because I am just supporting the organization.

Here are the clubs I belong to:

HCCA + local

CCCA + local

AACA + local

MARC + local

Model T 

and here is a recent stack of mailings from the clubs that I never even open up.  I dont think I have read an AACA magazine in 2 years.IMG_4466.jpg.569fac6f0384925166fc945a8cad16a4.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NailheadBob said:

I joined the Buick Club of America back in 1984, I had just purchased my 1958 Buick Special, and working on it in my driveway, and I was doing lawnmower repairs, and a guy stopped by to drop off his mower to fix, and said he liked my Buick and that he was in the Buick Club and came back and dropped of one of his Buick Bugle magazines for me to look at, I was hooked that is why I joined.

Then I found out about the local chapter the Chicagoland Buick Club and joined that, dropped out a few years later, then rejoined in about 1995.

I love Cadillac cars of the late 40's 50's and 60's and that is what attracted me to join the Cadillac LaSalle club in about 1996 dropped out for awhile because time with working and family and life, and rejoined again in about 2018.

I joined the AACA this years as I was using the forum for a short time not being a member,  and fell in love with it, all the knowledgeable people and information, and everyone wants to help each other from all parts of the world, GREAT stuff.

BEST thing I ever did was joining the AACA.

on a side note: @alsancle  I am intrigued with 1933 and 1934 Reo Semi-Automatic transmission, from your memory does Reo club membership magazine have any articles about this transmission? Do you have and service or parts manuals with this era of transmission? Anything that comes to your mind you could share?

Thanks in Advance

Bob 

EDIT: "alsancle I do not know if this is proper to ask the Reo question on this tread? If I need to change something let me know.

I am sure that the club has covered the automatic transmission in its newsletter at some point. I’ve definitely Seen an entire detailed article on the subject somewhere.

back around 2014 when I was visiting a member in South Carolina, his dad’s buddy had a car with the automatic transmission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I stay in the AACA because of the wealth of information here and such wonderful members. I stay in the Dodge Brothers Club because I have two 1931 Dodge Brothers coupes and I enjoy Chrysler products and the wonderful members.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I currently belong to:

- AACA: a wonderful club, the publications are superb, I enjoy judging when I have the time, etc.

- POCI: I just bought a 1928 Pontiac this summer and I joined the club to learn more. I will probably renew because the publications are great and a new member coordinator reached out to me almost immediately. I'm part of the Early Times Chapter.

- The Packard Club: I own two Packards and was able to purchase my first out of a club newsletter back in 2016.

- I don't know if this counts as a "car club", but I'm part of the Lansing, MI area GM Social Club as well. 

I have previously belonged to both of the Model T Ford clubs and the CCCA. I may rejoin the CCCA now that I have a "Full Classic", but I have previously let it lapse because of certain club decisions (that would be inappropriate to discuss here) to which I objected. I have let the Model T memberships lapse, despite still owning a '26, because I found myself never really referring back to the publications beyond a cursory flip-through when they hit my mailbox, etc. I love a good car tour but when 75% of the magazine is just reports of what local chapters did (i.e. we got ice cream and then we saw the world's largest ball of twine), I'm probably not going to read it.

As one of those "younger" car guys obsessed with early automobiles (yes, we are out there), I can offer the following tips:

- The number one most important thing is to be sure members can join and renew online. If I have to send you a check, I'm probably not joining and I know that many, if not most, of my generation and younger do not have actual checkbooks.

- An active online presence is key. A Facebook page is good, but an Instagram page, TikTok, etc. would be most helpful.

- Make your publications top-notch and available digitally. 

- Have a membership coordinator reach out to new members as soon as possible. Show people they are valued and they will stick around.

Edited by zdillinger (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I forgot one 

IITUWUBMACBCC

its a club I’ve been a member of for over 60 years. I’ve been to many meetings with a bunch of great guys from when I was 18 thru this year. We meet at least every other month and have a great time. Does anyone else in other areas know what this club is and are you a member? 
dave s 

edit ps- it’s an acronym if that helps. You all were throwing around so many letters I thought it time for you to figure this out

I originally posted this in the wrong thread. Sorry if you already saw it. 
dave s 

• Haha 1