Model A Ford ...nightmare

Dandy Dave

I have been handed a nice little 1929 Model A Ford Pickup that does not run or start correctly. Fellow that has been working on it wanted to change it to 12 volt. Luckily the owners did not buy that without a second opinion, but what a pile of messes I have found with just the first few minutes of walking around it. First is a plastic fan. Next I can't get a hand crank to line up with the crank nut. Wrong or incorrectly installed front motor mount. Idiot puts a timing pointer on the thing. This "Ace" does't know anything about the timing plug in the front cover I assume. Wire runs from the ignition switch to the distributor and is connected to the wrong place. It is not in the correct shielded cable but Half... (Donkey, Jack, Eeee Awwww..) Top radiator hose has an insert that has a temp gage hooked to it and also a Thermostat. I'm told there are over heating problems.... First to get it to start and run. Correct parts are ordered and in the mail. Starter turns but squeals like a pen full of hogs at feeding time. I have it out and I'm going to take it apart and lube it and also check the brushes. Also, did I mention that it has little dinky 12 volt battery cables on it which are both too small and too long. I just wish those not in the know, and not willing to learn what is correct would stay out from under the hood. Photos to come next time I'm there providing I don't forget my camera. Rant over. Now to correct.

• Like 10
  • Haha 5

I have a nearly 80 yr old friend, former mechanic who has 2 Model A's (1931 Tudor, 1928 Tourer), and because he knows what he is doing, both of them start at first turn and purr like kittens (actually have that wonderful 4cyl Model A sound). I've watched him work on them (he has owned a Model A as far back as early 60's), and although seemingly simple beasts, they do have enough eccentricities that a good knowledge of their workings is essential. I love the idea that the fuel tank is upper part of cowl and feeds carb by gravity, talk about simple! A great car for anyone thinking of starting in the hobby, and as an added benefit, virtually everything for the car is available in the after-market..

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

I just wish those not in the know, and not willing to learn what is correct would stay out from under the hood.

Dave. Oh Dave. That would go against every facet of basic human nature.

It's the biggest reason I stay away from Chevrolets or anything from the muscle car era. Too many redneck Einsteins have usually had their fingers in it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

I have a nearly 80 yr old friend, former mechanic who has 2 Model A's (1931 Tudor, 1928 Tourer), and because he knows what he is doing, both of them start at first turn and purr like kittens (actually have that wonderful 4cyl Model A sound). I've watched him work on them (he has owned a Model A as far back as early 60's), and although seemingly simple beasts, they do have enough eccentricities that a good knowledge of their workings is essential. I love the idea that the fuel tank is upper part of cowl and feeds carb by gravity, talk about simple! A great car for anyone thinking of starting in the hobby, and as an added benefit, virtually everything for the car is available in the after-market..

How I wish parts for my Chrysler 72 were available as aftermarket like model A 

I suppose because fords were made in large numbers it makes it worthwhile for companies to remanufacture parts 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

virtually everything for the car is available in the after-market.

Yes, except for a gas tank...:(

'31 Lasalle said "I suppose because fords were made in large numbers it makes it worthwhile for companies to remanufacture parts". No doubt true, just for a quick picture, Ford produced about 4 million Model A's between 1928-1931, while Chrysler production in that period totaled about 360,000 (about 11-1 ratio). While survival rates for Chryslers might be a bit higher, I would guess Model A's currently on road out number Chryslers 10 fold, perhaps higher.

• Like 1

I suppose that an owner who does have some mechanical knowledge could be forgiven trying to repair his old car under the assumption that all cars are basically the same.  That said when a “Professional “ thinks he can fix anything because he once stood next to one at a show, is embarrassing.

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Model A Ford ...nightmare
4 hours ago, pkhammer said:

Model A Fords; plentiful, inexpensive, easy to work on, available parts, surprisingly fast/nimble = Very popular, especially with cheapskates and so-so mechanics like me! 

Me too!!! They are great to learn on, as mentioned pretty simple and straightforward design, new and used parts available easily and affordably. Ton of help out there and you tube videos.  The Model A is a great way to get into this hobby without a ton and down time when needing oarts

• Like 1

Dave, if when everything gets replaced, give a call to Rhinebeck if you need help.    John

As I am correcting issues with my 1936 Chrysler, I am reminded that people sometimes just want to get a car running, and they do not care if they optimize performance, or even, use the correct parts.  During the depression, I suspect many corners were cut when it came to making a car run.  Put yourself in the shoes of someone who wants to restore a car but has neither the time, skills, or even the knowledge to understand that they do not even know what they do not know.  What seems like idiocy to some may actually be nothing more than a severe lack of knowledge.

At some point or another, many of us push the envelope of our knowledge and do something seriously wrong.  Lord knows I have made countless mistakes on my way to being as dumb as I am now.  I look at the work that some of you do on your cars and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am a hack compared to many here.

Hang in there and try to smile when you see something wrong.  Think of it as a chance for you to shine as you correct the mistake.

Joe

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I know guys who think it is clever to use the wrong part. Or they use whatever comes to hand, or they think the correct part is impossible to get, for whatever reason they just can't get the right part and put it on. Went through such a phase myself when I was very young but got over it. Now I believe the manufacturer knows more about the car he made, and spent millions of dollars and hours developing, than I do. Will not change anything without a good reason. I find the closer I get to manufacturer's specs the better they run.

• Like 8

I have read enough of your post to know you have the ability to get all the problems sorted out. ( Lucky You) . I have been in the same position and always looked at the challenge like   working through a troubled marriage.

I've also noticed that old fords tend to reject reprodution parts.   Modela A's are famous for that too.   Cheap reproductions parts are rejected faster than

used real parts.                         

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

... Fellow that has been working on it wanted to change it to 12 volt. Luckily the owners did not buy that without a second opinion, but what a pile of messes I have found with just the first few minutes of walking around it.

I think Dave has made it pretty clear that it wasn't a novice owner that was responsible for this mess but a so-called "professional"...probably one that has never worked on a car older than 1980 and has derived whatever he knows about really old cars from television.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like a car that needs a lot of TLC from somebody proficient; and one that is now in the hands of that somebody.  No car more fun to work on than a Model A, in my humble opinion.  You have some work ahead, but you know what needs doing. I wish I lived next door; I would help!

• Thanks 1

One of the more interesting things about owning an old car is discovering repairs that were done in the past.  Never be surprised at anything you find and you may find that you have to lift your jaw off of the floor more than once.  Their have been shade bush mechanics for as long as there have been cars.  What might make this one more aggravating is that is has been done by folks in the recent past and I would suspect that you still have a few things to discover.  Just don't let things twist you up too much.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

21 hours ago, 8E45E said:

I didn't think there is enough to a Model A to ever become a clusterf*ck!

Craig

Oohhh. This Ace has talent. There's one born every minute. P.T. Barnum. Dandy Dave!

18 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Dave. Oh Dave. That would go against every facet of basic human nature.

It's the biggest reason I stay away from Chevrolets or anything from the muscle car era. Too many redneck Einsteins have usually had their fingers in it.

Agree. Henry and Edsel Ford had great Engineers working for them at the Ford plant. Even now, 90 years later, it would be hard to beat the reliability engineered into a Model A Ford that is propery maintained, and tuned correctly. Started my 1930 a few days ago after a long winter and spring nap. Fired right up within a few compression strokes. All the stuff I work on I figure that it should start with two compression strokes on choke when cold, and the third for go. If it does not, There's still something wrong. Keep looking. When warn, they usually start with one comression stroke.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, 31 LaSalle said:

How I wish parts for my Chrysler 72 were available as aftermarket like model A 

I suppose because fords were made in large numbers it makes it worthwhile for companies to remanufacture parts 

They built and sold more Chevy's in those years, yet more Fords survive. Partly because Chevys had wood in the bodies. That old stove bolt 6 was a good tough engine also. A much bigger following for the humble little Ford though. I think a lot of it was because Ford guys were cheep, and would not give up and spend money on a new car if they saw no need to. Parts kept selling, manufacturers kept producing, Everyone was happy. Even durring WWII the old Model A Ford kept a lot of workers with reliable transportation and got them to the plants they worked at.

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, nickelroadster said:

One of the more interesting things about owning an old car is discovering repairs that were done in the past.  Never be surprised at anything you find and you may find that you have to lift your jaw off of the floor more than once.  Their have been shade bush mechanics for as long as there have been cars.  What might make this one more aggravating is that is has been done by folks in the recent past and I would suspect that you still have a few things to discover.  Just don't let things twist you up too much.

My jaw's been dragging on the floor for a while. I've had to scrub it a few times to get the road dirt and grease off. Not a problem though. After talking with you folks, I can laugh most of it off, roll my sleeves up, and get to work. The rest of this little ford is a nice solid survivor with the correct drivetrain and wheels and has not been butchered to the point of no return. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dandy Dave said:

Oohhh. This Ace has talent. There's one born every minute. P.T. Barnum. Dandy Dave!

What DOES take talent on a Model A is body restoration when fabricating new wooden frame components.  Working on that is not for everyone.

The scope of this thread are the mechanicals under the hood.

Craig

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dandy Dave said:

Agree. Henry and Edsel Ford had great Engineers working for them at the Ford plant. Even now, 90 years later, it would be hard to beat the reliability engineered into a Model A Ford that is propery maintained, and tuned correctly. Started my 1930 a few days ago after a long winter and spring nap. Fired right up within a few compression strokes. All the stuff I work on I figure that it should start with two compression strokes on choke when cold, and the third for go. If it does not, There's still something wrong. Keep looking. When warn, they usually start with one comression stroke.

The fellow that has restored a couple of motorcycles for us has the same philosophy. He has always said, 'if the bike doesnt start after 3 kicks at the most something is wrong'. And like you said, that is after a nap. When fresh, prime the cup, give a kick and go. 

Other than him this is the first time I have heard a mechanic put it that way. 👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

My jaw's been dragging on the floor for a while. I've had to scrub it a few times to get the road dirt and grease off. Not a problem though. After talking with you folks, I can laugh most of it off, roll my sleeves up, and get to work.
Dandy Dave!

That is one dirty jaw! 
dave s 

• Haha 1

The car sounds like a great project I’d enjoy.  Just pay the appropriate price based on what it is and fix it! Is there a car with a better aftermarket parts supply chain supporting it? How many Model As did Ford produce? How many are still in the USA? Whether running or rusting in a field. Many thousands is likely.  Sounds like a great opportunity to me. 

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Dave…….it’s obviously been serviced by a tractor mechanic! 😏

Hey, quit insulting me! I'm rebuilding the front end loader control valve on my compact tractor this weekend. The pressure regulator is peeing hydraulic fluid.😆

But I use a 1947 Ford 8N also......😃 Almost pre-war. Similar to the 9N and 2N which are pre-war. And I keep it 6 volts like Henry made it. Sort of a Model A with a three point hitch.🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2022 at 9:16 AM, R W Burgess said:

PICTURES PICTURES!!!!!

Sometime this week after the 4th Wayne. I just got another box of parts in the mail for things I missed the first time around. Dandy Dave!

• Like 1

Don’t forget the availability of information on a model A repair was not around when these cars were in use. Even today the internet is not always accessible out in rural America. Farmers had to be able to get a car running on their own with what they had as even parts were not easy to get as today.   The important part was to get it running not to make it pretty or concours correct. Sometimes a current day so called “tractor mechanic “ was considered as good as we think of the master mechanics we have available to us lucky AACA forum members. 
dave s 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

They would probably then use a rock.

Gawd I'm glad I didn't have a mouthful of drink when I read that!🤣

Some of the things I've seen people use as tools make my hair stand on end. And the way some people use tools for their intended purpose does too!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1