Automotive Bucket List

What's on your automotive bucket list? 

For me I had three main things on my life bucket list and all were car related:

See Route 66 (accomplished in Joliet IL in October 2019)

Get a ride in an antique car (accomplished May 2019 in a 1913 Ford Model T)

Own and show a classic car of my own (not Classic, although I wouldn't mind that at all!) I don't know if this will ever happen due to my health problems but I will continue to dream. It is not totally out of reach but I am unable to drive due to said health problems, and I'm a bit "gun shy" after getting left walking home so often with the family Jeep. 

Other minor bucket list items, that I wouldn't call major but are still things I wish to accomplish:

I want to see the major man made creations in the US: Statue of Liberty, Mt. Rushmore, Hollywood sign, Gateway arch in St. Louis. 

Visit all 48 contiguous states, 13 visited so far.

Attend all the major car shows at least once, and that is both real cars and model cars. The idea for this thread came from the Pebble Beach thread. 

Visit all counties in New York State. 

See a 1958 Edsel Wagon in person. I'm an Edsel fanatic, and I've seen almost every model in person, but the 58 wagon...either version...has never been anywhere where I've been. My new profile picture is me with what I believe is the first Edsel I ever saw in person when I was around 10 or 11 years old. 

The only one not car related: I want to create a museum and hall of Fame for trading cards. 

• Like 7

I'll play. I have a lot of automotive dreams!

-Participate (at least ride shotgun) in a HCCA tour.

-Build and race a speedster built on a nickel era chassis.

-Own my own pre-war open car. Bought a '31 Model A roadster last November. Need to get it roadworthy now and enjoy it!

-Drive a Nascar Cup car -Done. Did the Richard Petty driving experience in 2004 at Bristol (40th birthday).

-Ride in a steam powered car. Done. Got to ride in Willis Abel's Stanley at Ken Eder's annual show in NC.

-Attend one of the major shows like Amelia Island.

-Go to Florida and get a ride (or better yet drive!) one of Ed's Whites.

-Tour the entire length of Route 66. I have done sections in MO, OK, TX, NM and AZ but not the whole thing.

-Own or drive a Shelby Cobra. I would be limited to a replica on my budget but that's ok. I'd drive it like I stole it which is not entirely out of the question!

-Ride around the Hershey fields one evening with one of the cool people cruising around in a brass era car laughing so hard I get spit in my ears.

-Get a ride in David Coco's Cord.

-Help someone restore a brass era car.

-Sit around a campfire drinking beer with all my friends with the light of the fire reflecting in the paint of all our Muscle cars sitting around the perimeter of the campsite. Oh, that was most Friday and Saturday nights throughout the summer months of 1980-1984

Why don’t you come with me on a HCCA tour and drive for a day……..two items in one shot………your welcome to attend with me and Phil………..

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Ed, you are very generous in your offers and I am grateful. I would love to work that out one of these days. I just need to start paying attention to the when/where these tours are scheduled. 👍 Unfortunately I still have one of those things where they expect me to show up and work every day.

• Like 2

Here's some of mine:

Drive US 20 from Newport, Oregon to Boston, preferably in an antique car.

Go to Hershey

Explore the routes of some of the pre-highway "Auto Trails" and long-abandoned alignments of modern highways

Drive as much as I can!

• Like 2

One thing I have done - bearing in mind my home is on the other side of the Pacific - is to drive the highest road in the US - Fall River Ridge(?) in Colorado which from memory is higher than NZ's highest mountain at just over 12,000 ft - done in 1978. And because I was in the northeast in 2015 I figured I had to do Mt Washington. A doddle (walk in the park) compared to the Colorado road.

I haven't counted the number of states I visited in 1978 but I drove from West to East (Florida) along the southern part, then back through the centre - Missouri, Kansas etc (St Louis was the farthest north and east I went) and then up the Pacific Coast almost to Canada.  I visited several museums that possibly no longer exist.  In 2015 I added I think three states driving from Boston to New Hampshire and Vermont. I think my age and Covid wariness will mean I will not be back.

The only other countries I have driven in are England, Ireland and France, a thousand miles or more in each. 

As far as 'bucket list' stuff, being a car nut I have not ridden in many of the big American classic cars, or in a large brass car. I had a short ride up the road in 1996 in a V16 Cadillac, and I have driven both a Packard Twin Six (1917) and a 1930 733 phaeton. Thinking back I have ridden in a Bugatti Type 37A - the supercharged four cylinder one - very firm ride, and breezy.  I don't have any great desire to ride in any recent 'supercars' - I think they are cramped and claustrophobic.

• Like 2

A few items:

1.  Drive my Indy car re-creation at 100 mph or more - race track, Interstate, local road, all OK as long as I don’t get a ticket.

2.  Add enough space to the garages to have a real machine shop with a big lathe (16-inch) and a big milling machine. (why do I say that when I never want a big project again?)

3.  Own a 1941-47 Packard Super 8 4-door sedan in good condition for touring.

4.  Enjoy the cars I have and my supportive wife. 

5.  Pass along my cars to the next generation or grandchildren. 

• Like 2

I’ve had the brass car, the 20’s open cars, driven several interesting cars and even worked on a Vanderbilt racer while volunteering at OHTM, and now finally I have ”that big classic” on the road so I count myself very lucky in the hobby. That said, and having driven all of US Route 1 in Maine in a T Ford, I always thought it would be fun to start at Fort Kent an drive all the way to the other end… I won’t say bucket list but it could be fun!

Enjoy my car, my retirement and my wonderful supportive wife and daughter for as long as possible. Possibly meet some of the characters I’ve gotten to know on this forum in person. 
dave s 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've been very lucky to see most of the great collections, most when the founders built them. The one I'd really like to see is the Fountainhead collection in Alaska, once in Alaska I guess you need to spend a month there to see what else is of interest. That would make Pebble Beach week look like a bargain. Collections — Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum (fountainheadmuseum.com)

On a practical doable bucket list item, I'd like to find a place that would rent a Mini Cooper Clubman for a week or month. 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

At 82 number 0ne on my list is making it to 83.  So far this year attended the AACA Founders tour in Alabama and just returned from the VMCCA Chrome Glidden in Grand Island, Nebraska.  Planning on the Sentimental tour this fall.  Unfortunately the Sentimental, Glidden and Hershey all fall too close together when you live in Texas.  Wish I still had the motorhome!!!

• Like 6

I only have two automotive aspirations. Do the London to Brighton in my own car (and I don't have a pre-1905 car) and the Peking to Paris. Realistically, I think either is very unlikely. Failing that, I'd like to spend a few months driving around the UK and the continent.

• Like 2

Back in 1986 I made a bucket list with 20 items, and finished it by 32 years of age……added another ten, and did all of them by 45 except one……….and now I’m just too old to do the last one. One of them put me in ICU for 10 days…….and yup, it was worth it.

My automotive bucket list is actually three items. I would like to meet Jay Leno and go for a ride in his Chrysler Turbine car. That's two. I would like to finish my first 1931 Dodge coupe restoration.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, oldcarfudd said:

Drive the Brighton Run.

That sits at the top of my list as well. Preferably in a vehicle I own, Indiana built, and from the 1800’s. Options are limited but do exist. 

Also on the bucket list is to have a 2cyl, 4cyl, 6cyl, and 12 cyl at the same time…. And all brass era. Options slightly less limited than the previous. 

do the entirety of US 40 and RT 66 in vehicles that predate either. 

Use a prewar car for daily transportation: Indiana winters, salted roads, and all. 

• Like 1

I went in 1998 to North American Zoomland for 8 glorious days...

Real gearheads will want to attend an event on the Bonneville Salt Flats, even if it's only a 3 day event.

And Teddy Kennedy said that every American should see the Grand Canyon.

I did that back in 1988.

• Like 1

Drive or ride in something impeccably and fantastically and mesmerizingly well-engineered and smooth.

Doesn't need to look pretty or be complete or at a concourse level, just want to experience intended perfection and ride quality.

I humbly prefer a whisper quiet and smooth running XYZ in a prewar package.

A 1000+hp dragster rumble is super cool, shredding tires is good, but now I prefer watching my car with less than 100hp idle and drive smoothly, so maybe my bucket list is just getting old.

I put a Duesenburg SJ on the top of my list by virtue, not experience, so if someone knows of a smoother and more elegant car, I would appreciate learning about it.

My bucket list refinements -

I cannot listen to a poorly running combustion engine, it drives me bonkers and I am compelled to fix it.

Same goes for drivetrain and running gear, if its not smooth, I don't want to drive it until its perfect!

Alignment and drifting issues I can accept, but vibration and shimmy and wobble and grinding drivetrains make me want to stop and immediately break out the wrenches.

• Like 1

A few years ago without really planning it I got rides in a Curved Dash Olds, a Model T & a Model A all within a couple of weeks.  I have plenty of experience with cars from the mid '60s on, so my goal is to ride or drive in something from the late '30s, the late '40s & the late '50s to "collect the whole set" so to speak.

• Like 2

Automotive bucket list:

Participate in the great race

Drive rt 66 (not sure why on this one, prob. just because)

General:

Visit Mt Rushmore

Navigate in some degree 49 states (Nothing personal but I have no desire to go to Alaska, I have been to HI both times, lol).

Cross country on a motorcycle

Never really had a bucket list, but I have travelled extensively around the country, a lot by motorcycle, have been to a super bowl ( I love football!) and have stood on a 'corner in Winslow AZ.' All of those were pretty good.

• Like 1

My big bucket list item was to ride a motorcycle from my home in PA to Alaska via the ALCAN highway.  I rode in competitive off road motorcycle events from age 22 until age 59 and had done bigger street rides like PA to Nova Scotia and PA to Detroit Michigan via Toronto and other Canadian routes and many other shorter motorcycle adventures taking 3 to 5 days to complete. I had fulfilled my old car dream by buying, fixing and showing a 1937 Dodge pickup.  Later a 1964 Plymouth owned by my father in law joined the stable as did a 1970 300mi Yamaha Enduro motorcycle and a 1964 Vespa 125.  The all original Vespa and Yamaha were shown at local car shows and the Yamaha provided my young son with his first chance to operate a motorcycle on his own.  I hiked parts of the Appalachian trail and camped out with a tent as home for most of my motorcycle journeys and as a leader in the Local Boy Scout troop.  My bucket list was mostly met as work took me to places in China, Hong Kong, Mexico, Canada and of course the USA.  As I approached 60 yrs of age the dream of Alaska by motorcycle was getting really strong.

In March of 2012 I bought a new Suzuki V-Strom 650cc adventure motorcycle to replace my well used 2002 V-Strom 1000cc that after 60,000 “adventure” miles of use was showing its age. The lighter, more agile 650 seemed better suited for the riding I had planned as I wanted to explore roads less traveled and always enjoyed the minimalistic approach to motorcycle adventure.  On the morning May 11, 2012 I was to try out my new motorcycle on its first multi day trip to north central PA.  On the drive to meet my traveling partner life got interrupted at approximately 7:05am when a guy in a Jeep Wrangler decided to pull out from a side road and drive right into me head on.  I was traveling at about 50mph at the time of the crash. That incident filled my bucket list bucket full of holes and dashed dreams.

So yes, today to the day, it’s been 10 years of life in a wheelchair, a spine that’s permanently disconnected from the things it should be controlling and no right leg as Jeep bumpers are great at tearing them to shreds.  Still life goes on and my leaky bucket holds much smaller lists and Alaska will continue to be only a dream, replaced with trips to see friends, some new speaking opportunities about living with disabilities and the chance to help others get over the sudden life changing problems they have to deal with.

Billy, as the starter of this thread, don’t give up on your dreams.  Your main list might get altered along the way but I’m sure you will find things added that could give you a whole new perspective on what’s important.  For those who take the time to read this story of mine, I hope it inspires you to do your best to achieve your bucket list goals despite unexpected bumps in your plans.  
All the best to you on this day and thread of sharing dreams!

Terry

• Like 14
  • Thanks 10

Terry

thank you for sharing this, and as well stated as you did. Life can change best plans and intentions and dreams. I had this with heart surgery. Slows you down, but indeed makes you so grateful for what you have, and the experiences you had as well. We all need to take a moment more often to realize how fortunate we are to be here at all. To still be here to savor the memories of outstanding times, locations, and people we have had the chance to engage. We all have ways of coping, my recent ( last few years) has been to just walk away and not deal with people and situations that demand that I help them when I see that they are not helping anyone else.

Keep well and keep on sharing those dreams.

Walt

• Like 7

16 hours ago, pkhammer said:

I'll play. I have a lot of automotive dreams!

-Participate (at least ride shotgun) in a HCCA tour.

Come up to the Old Car Festival at The Henry Ford/ Greenfield Village in Sept.  It is the first weekend after Labor Day.  If you come up Wed night, you can come on the HCCA/AACA tour from Dearborn to Lansing and back on Thursday & Friday.  The Old Car Festival is the best old car show.  It is limited to vehicles 1932 and older.  Here is the link for last years show.

https://www.thehenryford.org/current-events/calendar/old-car-festival/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIotfin_XX9wIVqmxvBB2epQnPEAAYASAAEgL7cPD_BwE

7 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

Come up to the Old Car Festival at The Henry Ford/ Greenfield Village in Sept.  It is the first weekend after Labor Day.  If you come up Wed night, you can come on the HCCA/AACA tour from Dearborn to Lansing and back on Thursday & Friday.  The Old Car Festival is the best old car show.  It is limited to vehicles 1932 and older.  Here is the link for last years show.

https://www.thehenryford.org/current-events/calendar/old-car-festival/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIotfin_XX9wIVqmxvBB2epQnPEAAYASAAEgL7cPD_BwE

I actually looked at this earlier this year but couldn't make it work due to other conflicts. I am planning to visit the Henry Ford/Greenfield Village and Gilmore the following week. A week too late unfortunately! 😒

Interesting lists all, and agree Terry puts things in perspective for sure.

Car wise I simply hope to tour more and perhaps handle a full restoration upon retirement (will be the A unless I just get rest done professionally beforehand), and generally spend more time in the hobby.  Not sure either car we have is ideally suited for heavy touring, the SL is too new and the roadster is a roadster.  So I would like to experience another car or two still.  The right club, people is as key to me as the right car.  

I have traveled enough for business and pleasure and aside from some stateside destinations I am not thinking of anywhere I simply must see off hand.  We have kicked around a vacation place which can be handed down.  We'll see.

More car stuff, shooting, time with family and the dogs and I am good.  Wouldn't mind learning to sail, but a goal no one else here shares as Mrs Mack gets motion sickness.  Still might pursue that...

Hi, Terry!  Thank you for sharing...  And, a BIG THANK YOU for encouraging Billy (& the rest of us!)!  I have been riding a Harley as my commuter for 10 years, about 12 miles each way from Alexandria to WDC.  I ride year round down to about 25 degrees, but not in the pouring rain or snow (which we seem to rarely get anymore...), on those days I dreadfully ride the Metro.  I think about getting into an accident when I'm preparing to ride, but when I'm actually out there on the bike, I feel very comfortable.  Is one living if they are constantly in fear of getting hurt?  When people see me coming or leaving from the office with all my gear on they always ask if I went out riding over the weekend.  Nope!  Never been farther than the two local HD dealerships.  I'd much rather drive one of my old cars!  I'm retiring next month after almost 33 years with the feds, and I may take one long ride (a little over 100 miles) to our retirement home in King William VA.  A friend will probably accompany me on his HD.  Be safe and Godspeed with your life's journeys...  Greg  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

Larry, Has the Old Car Festival maintained some of the features I read about back in the 1960's? It always conflicted with the Pre war meet here in Ridgefield, so I neve got to go. The local meet died years ago so maybe I should ad Greenfield Village to my Bucket List. 

40 minutes ago, 63RedBrier said:

Hi, Terry!  Thank you for sharing...  And, a BIG THANK YOU for encouraging Billy (& the rest of us!)!  I have been riding a Harley as my commuter for 10 years, about 12 miles each way from Alexandria to WDC.  I ride year round down to about 25 degrees, but not in the pouring rain or snow (which we seem to rarely get anymore...), on those days I dreadfully ride the Metro.  I think about getting into an accident when I'm preparing to ride, but when I'm actually out there on the bike, I feel very comfortable.  Is one living if they are constantly in fear of getting hurt?  When people see me coming or leaving from the office with all my gear on they always ask if I went out riding over the weekend.  Nope!  Never been farther than the two local HD dealerships.  I'd much rather drive one of my old cars!  I'm retiring next month after almost 33 years with the feds, and I may take one long ride (a little over 100 miles) to our retirement home in King William VA.  A friend will probably accompany me on his HD.  Be safe and Godspeed with your life's journeys...  Greg  

Greg, my work takes me into DC fairly often and I dread the traffic each time I go. You're a brave man to do it on two wheels considering all the nuts I encounter! Nice meeting you at Carlisle BTW.

5 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Larry, Has the Old Car Festival maintained some of the features I read about back in the 1960's? It always conflicted with the Pre war meet here in Ridgefield, so I neve got to go. The local meet died years ago so maybe I should ad Greenfield Village to my Bucket List. 

I do not know what features you are talking about from the 60's.  There is the HCCA/AACA tour on Th & Fri before the weekend of the show limited to 1915 and older vehicles only.  The Old Car Festival vehicles are limited to 1932 and older only.  The village allows owners to drive their vehicles in the village during the tour.  The last few years there has been a reception for exhibitors on Friday night.  I do not know what / if there will be this year.  Time will tell.

If anyone wants to go on the tour, contact me and I will give you more info. 

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing Terry. Today is quite an anniversary, albeit one not to happy!! One of these days when I am travelling north I would like to have lunch with you. I would love to hear about some of your adventures on 2 wheels, IF you are still willing to talk about them. Next summer will be 50 years for me riding motorcycles. I started in the 3rd grade with a Kawasaki 100 and never looked back. I have had a few brief periods without a bike in my garage but def. more than less. I started riding long distance about 15 years or so ago and getting on the bike and riding up town just isnt the same anymore.  A lot of the time my brother and myself would load up friday after work and get home sunday evening. He has moved to Ontario and I am hoping to take a m/c trip that way this summer.

Redbrier, I was travelling back from Daytona one winter and a surprise snow storm hit us around Fredericksburg. Wheeling the bikes along I95 in a blizzard was not fun. Especially when the fuse blew on my electric gloves and early onset frostbite set in. Weather cleared, sun cam out and temps were in the mid 30's, everything was great... Until we hit the Wilson bridge. The metal grating had a 2" coating of ice, as soon as I hit it, me and the bike slid the rest of the way across. Def a memory but not a good one!

• Like 3

Thank you everyone for posting. The goals we as a collective unit share is a fun topic. The one theme I see repeating is spending more time with their loved ones, that's something I think we can all agree on.

Terry, thank you especially. Powerful story(post)! 

• Like 4

Thanks to all for posting your Bucket lists.    I've never had a bucket list, but my life had been full of doing other peoples bucket lists..  I retired at 55, married only once for 55 years & still happy.   Served in the USAF, was a guest on the Tonight Show, owned 115 cars and still have 7..   I've driven antique cars in 48 states, about 10 foreign countries and pn some of the world's most  famous race tracks.   I've restored a bunch of cars, have done 41 national tours including 11 Great American Races and 12 Glidden Tours in Pre-WWIi cars.  I built two car barns and my dream home in the Smoky Mountains after 50 years in Florida.

Now at 76, I still don't have a bucket list, but I think lived one.   My two new knees are slowing me down, so I guess my bucket list should include restoring them.

• Like 9

I have had a number of things on my bucket list over the years, own an example of every Matchbox car from the 1968 catalog, get a PhD, run a marathon, drive a Duesenberg, restore a car to AACA Senior Grand National level, etc, all having been accomplished.

What is left is passing the hobby on to one (or more) of my children, restoration of my dad's car (in process), going to Pebble Beach, driving Route 66 (hopefully with all the kids along for the ride), and there is a dream car I really want to own. Life has been pretty kind to me, something that at times can be forgotten.  Thanks all for sharing.

• Like 4