Automotive Bucket List

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Ive done many of the latter, def. overrated, LOL.

It is only overrated until you are lying on your back under your car in the driveway in the rain.   Admittedly,  I probably haven't done that in 30 years,  but that is my excuse for wanting a barn.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Paul, dare I ask why you were on the tonight show? I watch Johnny almost every night on reruns, perhaps I have seen you on there?

I typed the story and it disappeared,   will try again tomorrow,

Achieved one of mine last summer; to visit the Gilmore.  Still need to get to Henry Ford/Greenfield Village.  Two others: to drive a Model T, and to spend 24 hours in the cab with an over-the-road long-haul truck driver.

• Like 1

On the original Route 66 (prior to 1952) the route from Kingman Arizona to Needles CA passed through the mining town of Oatman AZ. (where all the burros are today) Just outside of Oatman is a twisty mountain road called Sitgreaves pass.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31295-d1449308-Reviews-Sitgreaves_Pass-Oatman_Arizona.html 

Old original Route 66 guides and histories describe that as a tourist, you might want to "hire a local" to drive your car over this treacherous road(!)  I guess the Easterners would be scared of driving a mountain road?   

Anyway, I drove it before COVID in my 69 F-100 and it was twisty, but not scary. 

This summer after I get the overdrive installed in my 1942 Hudson Commodore Eight sedan I am planning to try to really experience what old Route 66 driving was about by crossing the pass AT NIGHT 😊   6 volt headlights and all. 

Maybe I can schedule to do it on a night without a moon?? 🤔

• Like 5

13 hours ago, m-mman said:

On the original Route 66 (prior to 1952) the route from Kingman Arizona to Needles CA passed through the mining town of Oatman AZ. (where all the burros are today) Just outside of Oatman is a twisty mountain road called Sitgreaves pass.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31295-d1449308-Reviews-Sitgreaves_Pass-Oatman_Arizona.html 

Old original Route 66 guides and histories describe that as a tourist, you might want to "hire a local" to drive your car over this treacherous road(!)  I guess the Easterners would be scared of driving a mountain road?   

Anyway, I drove it before COVID in my 69 F-100 and it was twisty, but not scary. 

This summer after I get the overdrive installed in my 1942 Hudson Commodore Eight sedan I am planning to try to really experience what old Route 66 driving was about by crossing the pass AT NIGHT 😊   6 volt headlights and all. 

Maybe I can schedule to do it on a night without a moon?? 🤔

I have driven that road from Kingman over to California several times and in both directions, of coarse stopping in Oatman every time.

Pretty much a tourist trap now, but a fun stop. Those burros will steal food out of your hands.

When the silver mines all went away the minors simply turned their stock loose as the left.

Many car and bike cruises make this place a destination.

I got about the best bleu cheese burger I ever ate there. Not a wonder why that place was something else on my next trip.

Regardless, not a road to take if you are in any kind of hurry.

Fun times.

1894157374_Beforethe87Race.jpg.d5d822742bbc67ef9a3de861b9d65881.jpg

On 5/12/2022 at 7:53 AM, TAKerry said:

Paul, dare I ask why you were on the tonight show? I watch Johnny almost every night on reruns, perhaps I have seen you on there?

TAKerry,

It began with the introduction of the 1983  Interstate Batteries Great American Race, and the pre-event publicity.   My friend Don Lorrier and I

thought that was way to cool to ever happen.   We followed every step of the way hoping there would be a 2nd Great Race.   With the success

of the first one we wanted to get involved before it became such a big deal that we'ed be illiminated. we immediatly requested an application

for the 1984 Race and began a restoration of a 1940 Ford Commercial Car  (A 40 Pickup).   We recruited a 5 member team where we would

each get a chance to drive and navigate in the once in a lifetime adventure.   Three of us were business owners, one was a Residential

landlord, one Retiree, all antique car guys and owners.   Due to '"he Generals" who raced in uniforms on the 1983 Race in a 1940 Army Staff

Car, we decided our racing uniforms would be swallow tail tuxidos and top hats.  Not driving a real high end car, meant we needed a special

look, and we won the best dressed Trophy at the finishers banquet.  Rules changed to only cars 1936 & older, so we took our 3 1933 & 1934

Fords and made a really strong competitor for the 1984 & 1987 races.

We were fortunate to know the local NBC-TV Sporscaster who took an interest in us.   He knew a guy on the Tonight Show staff and tolld him

about us.   Since Johnny Carson once referred to St. Peterburg FL as "Wrinkle City", we became the Wrinkle City Racers and were booked

on the Tonight Show the night before the Race stated at Universal Studios in LA.  (May 16, 1984).

As instructed we went to the show in the 1934 Ford Tudor in full formal dress.   Unfortunatly the show was over booked and we wer bumped

to good seats in th audience.   AsJohnny Carson began his Tonight Show soap opera "The Edge of Wetness",  he said when we last left the           

mythical town of Sludge Falls.  (This is where the camara zoomed on on me) Roy George, the wierdest cowboy in Sludge Falls yearned to curl

up in a dumpster with,  (Camera zoomed in on a woman in the audience) Backseast Betty Ganghousen.   About 3 people later the late night soap    opera was over, to thunderous applause.

The Great Race started the next day and all across the county, people told me the recognized me from the Tonight Show.  I met lots of wonderful

people and repeated my once in a lifetime adventure 10 more times.   Interesting note:  The Sprotscaster from NBC had Don & me come with the      car in our Tuxedos to tell our story to a wholesale Grocers convention in Tampa and we came away with Brawny Paper Towels as a sponsor for

the next two races, 1987 Disneyland to Disneyworld and 1988 Disneyland to Boston.  

No more Tonight Show, but I did have ESPN cameras in the back seat of the 1935 Airflow for the TV Special in 1993, a speaking roll. 

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Paul, thanks for that story. Sounds like a lot of great memories there.  I would love to do the Great Race one day.   I will keep an eye out for you during the next episode of "The Edge of Wetness", LOL.  I have been to two tapings of the Price is Right with Bob B, and sat in the audience for the Merv Griffin show. But was never on camera 😕

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 10:34 PM, Akstraw said:

Still need to get to Henry Ford/Greenfield Village.  Two others: to drive a Model T, 

For an old car guy, make sure that you come to Greenfield Village the first weekend after Labor Day for the Old Car Festival.  They usually have between 500-700 vehicles older than 1932, and the best part is they let the owners drive their cars in the village.  I was there today with one of my grandsons for the day out with Thomas The Engine.  If you come, look me up and I will give you a ride in the village if you do not have a car.  I will have the only 1915 Buick Truck.

Old car festival information.

https://www.thehenryford.org/current-events/calendar/old-car-festival/

On 5/12/2022 at 11:40 PM, m-mman said:

My wife and I did that route a couple of years ago.  It was a very enjoyable experience as we(I) have done a lot of mountainous driving. 

The thing that amazed me was the roads twists & turns & grades were traversed by people in the cars at the time driving vehicles with low horsepower cars and mechanical brakes, etc....   Cool experience.

• Like 2

My bucket list would include riding in a lot of different old cars and trucks as a passenger. i don’t need to necessarily drive them myself. i know from experience so far that i’m too much a klutz. model t fords is a good example. i rode in a neighbor’s t and i turned down his invite to drive it. but i do enjoy the experience of riding in neat old vehicles. the sounds, noise, vibration, wind and even the fumes along with old roads are a wonderful experience.  already flown in some tri motors and canvas planes...as a passenger. i don’t need to pilot. heck. i’ve even ridden in the back seat of a tucker. 

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'm currently on a trip with my brother to knock out one of the things that we had on both our lists. I'm farthest west that I've ever been but will be farther later today...already found and toured a really great vehicle museum, and added I believe 15 "automotive" brands to my project of photo documenting as many brands as possible. 

I will have pictures to share at some point hopefully soon but another day on the open road is ahead of us. 

• Like 4

Approaching 70 and playing with old cars for a lot of years I have been blessed to cross many things off the bucket list. Three things stand out. Meeting Jay Leno back stage (thanks to john-s from this form), sitting in a funny car during start up and riding in the Miss US unlimited U-36 hydroplane a few months ago. This by far was the craziest thing I have done. Did five at speed laps on a one mile course with 7 time national champion Mark Weber which I would never do again (body hurt for days). Wife though understanding with most of what I do wasn't to happy standing on the shore watching as we went airborne several times.

IMG_1024[1].JPG

MISS US.jpg

Edited by Ron Green (see edit history)
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

South Dakota?

Wherever, enjoy the trip!

Right on! Mt. Rushmore has been something I've wanted to see forever. It was even better than I imagined, way more impressive and majestic in person. Also did the museum at the Crazy Horse monument yesterday as well. 

There have been car sightings but the connectivity here isn't great...I bought a lousy laptop to take with me...so the pictures will unfortunately have to wait.

• Like 4

We visited Mount Rushmore back in 2016 and was very impressed as well. They have a night program after dark that was worth the time to do as well. Will you catch the Pioneer Auto Museum in Murdo?

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 6:44 AM, Alex D. said:

Bucket list are rubbish. Stop writing list and get on with it and have no regrets! 

Exactly ! 👍

In 4+ decades in this hobby, I’ve accomplished almost everything I ever wanted from it with a few exceptions, some still pending, some got scrapped (due to loss of interest) along the way.

Fortunately in my world almost every day, including those spent in the garage/shop, is a vintage automotive adventure, but I do wish I had time to drive them more, as there’s are lots of cool places & roads I haven’t been to/on yet.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Billy - Wall drug is another stop you should try to make. They should still have all the mile markers “x miles to Wall Drug and a nice cold glass of water” 

Have a great trip. 
dave s 

• Like 2

As I read through the musings of each of you, I'm struck by how fortunate I've been to have done so much. For me there has to be two buckets one to empty, and the other to take the completed projects. Upon measure my completed bucket it far fuller then my bucket of dreams ever was. Some of my most memorable adventures have been accomplished without a long term plan.

My good fortune highlights how important it was for me to have gotten an early start on both travel and car related projects. It also magnifies how important my good health and an understanding woman has been. Patience wins the race. As some of you who are younger will come to realize, urgency will, at some point, change to reflective contentment. That's the time when you start going though your completed list and consider which ones you might like to revisit. 

Several years ago I did consider a trip across the Gulf states. Not wanting to drive both ways I considered buying a retired Crown Victoria police car in Florida, flying in, and driving west through the South and along Route 66 to California, before driving up the coast to Seattle. I have driven along much of route 66, a number of times in the past, so It was not so much driving Route 66 as much as it the best alternative route considering my chosen trip time of November. 

In bygone years I would have just done the trip solo. Today at age 78 it would have been challenge to attempt it without a willing companion. Failing to get my better half or any of my trusted friends on board with the project, and finally the raging pandemic made it academic. 

Happy trails to all of you!

• Like 4

The day I stop pursuing new adventure’s in old cars, is the day they put me under. Being nominated for Best of Show at Pebble was very special. So was recovering the best barn find in America in the last fifty years was a close second. White water rafting the Colorado in very big water was something I’ll never forget………the hospital and surgery weren’t as bad as you would think. I’m lucky to have had so many opportunities both car related and in other areas of my interest. I wouldn’t change a thing. Looking forward to 25 more years of adventure if I’m lucky……..time will tell. I plan to wear out a bunch more pre war cars before I go.

• Like 3

On 5/10/2022 at 6:34 PM, Billy Kingsley said:

What's on your automotive bucket list?

LOVE this question.

As for mine ... man.......

Well, for starters, I've...
...done Route 66 (2009)
...owned a family of vehicles (Monte Carlos: 1972, 1976, 1979, 1981, 1987 ... with the 81 SC remaining, since that was my parents' brand new)
...road tripped yearly
...attended Woodward Dream Cruise
...started a website (Old Cars, Strong Hearts)

Some of the things I'd still like to do:
* entire US Route 20 (done parts of the middle, the east & west coasts, & of course, around my hometown of Elgin IL)
* obtain more models of cars to have a "model show"
* entire Lincoln Highway (done parts here in Illinois & a few other places)
* attend several major shows I've never been to
* own a Chrysler Cordoba
* own a wagon (maybe a Caprice or LTD Country Squire)
* own a convertible (preferably a 1975 Caprice Classic)
* [for the "own" ... I'd probably settle for driving each]

* & probably a lot more I can't think of at the moment lol.

Cort, pig and cow valves with pacemaker
2003 MGM LS + 1981 cmc SC; need 1975 Chrysler Cordoba
"Take me to the magic of the moment" | Scorpions | 'Wind Of Change'

From an old car standpoint, I will find an appropriate brass era car and do a west coast to east coast and back tour. Maybe integrate that into a series of existing tours around the country and meet some other great car folks. Close to retirement, and there are so many places to explore.

Along the same lines, quit trailering to tours and go old school and drive. All pre 15.

When I was a kid, I did my first Model T tour before I had my drivers license. Dad and Mom drove one T, I drove the other with brothers and sisters. Eastern Washington into British Columbia and back. What a great start!

Edited by DGPoff (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Having had a Cordoba as a family car, be very careful, lol. 

Back from my trip to Mount Rushmore. It was great but I'm exhausted. I saw 48 US license plates missing only Hawaii and Mississippi. Saw Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba and Ontario for Canada and even one Mexican and one European of unknown origin on the trip. 

Minnesota has a lot of old pickups around...

In total, I visited 11 states, 7 of which was the first time I ever visited them, went to 5 museums, three national parks, set my person record for furthest west and furthest north I've ever been and set my record for most photos in a single day and a single week. 

I will have a thread about the trip once I get all the photos processed and uploaded to my website, but it will be a bit.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Had a friend that drove his 1928 Model A most everyday during the summer months. His one wish was to have the front tires touch the Atlantic Ocean and the rear tires in the Pacific Ocean with his old car.  Unfortunately he took sick and died but we did help fulfill the want. Asked friends that live on both coasts prepare a bottle with ocean water and sand. Brought his old A to the hospice and fulfilled his wish perhaps in a small way while he watched. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2