Cars on Poles

f.f.jones

When I was a kid in the ‘40’s and ‘50’s, it wasn’t unusual to see cars mounted on poles along the road as advertising for nearby businesses. The commercial concerns were usually auto-related, but I can also remember roadside cafes and other businesses attracting the attention of passing motorists.  In the intervening decades, regulations and legislation have pretty well eliminated them, at least in my neck of [what used to be] the woods.

Do you remember these or do they still exist in your region? If you have a photo or a story about  an interesting “car on a pole” and would like to share it, please add it to this post. 

car on pole 7.jpeg

car on pole 6.jpeg

Not sure if I have a car on a pole.. Pic

About 7 years ago I took this picture.. This one is from the net. It was the last one open near Peters MN.

As a young kid I liked this place...

Pioneer Village, Minden, Nebraska  has a car and a wagon. on the pole and building..

55ae76d89e0df.image.jpg

1269165_155455594662075_1117466260_o.jpg

gaylord.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I like the counter top!  Theres one around me and for the life of me I cannot remember where!!!! I know I have passed it recently but I suppose it has become part of the landscape and nothing special. I will try to keep an eye out for it. 

There is a cool art deco service station nearby. Built on a half circle with the garage bay going across the back of the building. They had a large (prob. 30ft) cowboy on the roof forever. During the first gulf war the cowboy was taken down and painted desert storm tan, had a rifle placed in his hands and became a parade float. Havent seen it since.

• Like 1

Bingham's Auto Parts near Denton NC had a 1st gen Mustang on a pole for years. Hated when Jim Bingham closed it down. Classic case of the land was more valuable than the business.

There was a junkyard on US 70 near Burlington NC that had a Toronado on a pole. It had a nice set of Toronado chrome wheels but I wasn't gonna pay for the crane to take it down and put it back.

• Like 1

In northern Maine, near Alexander on Route 9, is a big Studebaker M-16 (1941-48) high on a pole.  It was a well drilling truck, serves as an ad for the well drilling company.

trkpol2.jpg.d0076d4e115e1a5159805ead02fd7419.jpg

• Like 1

Here are a few, I know I have a couple of more if I could find them.

The one I always liked and never took a picture of you could see from the New York Thruway, it was a fun size tractor trailer rig way up in the air. I think I heard they had to take it down.

Car_on_pole.jpg

Crosley Roundside-On-A-Pole.jpeg

LawhornAuto-Pole_4-79-sm.jpg

Mac's Pole Crosley - Louisiana.jpg

On 1/3/2022 at 6:32 PM, Jim Bollman said:

Here are a few, I know I have a couple of more if I could find them.

The one I always liked and never took a picture of you could see from the New York Thruway, it was a fun size tractor trailer rig way up in the air. I think I heard they had to take it down.

Car_on_pole.jpg

Crosley Roundside-On-A-Pole.jpeg

LawhornAuto-Pole_4-79-sm.jpg

Mac's Pole Crosley - Louisiana.jpg

Mac's Wrecking Yard was on Airline Highway in St. Rose, Louisiana, and is listed as Permanently Closed.

It was just up US-61 from the prior location of the New Orleans' International Airport passenger terminal.

I still pass it at times.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Billy Kingsley said:

Here's one on Route 66 (now Il-53) in Joliet Illinois that I photographed in October 2019. Based on the Blues Brothers movies I think. I'm not a big movie person so I haven't actually watched them. 

201931497-vi.jpg

Billy,

Is that you in the passenger seat? just joking...

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey Jim, Lawhorn's Auto Parts was the name on the Crosley back when I was just out of college. My friend and I shopped many Willys parts there. There also had Crosleys in there. Later it was repainted for the new name International Auto Recycling and they still had some Willys and Crosleys in there!  US 301 Atlee, VA.

The Crosley has been there so long that the county gave it a pass on the new sign regulations. It is now Atlee Auto Service, I think, unless it has changed again. No longer any auto recycling done there:

https://www.google.com/search?q=crosley+on+pole&rlz=1C1VDKB_enUS969US969&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=LgQf5OZd020F0M%2CXCj2KtDPDkl1hM%2C_%3BM_MRu18upNHYtM%2CXCj2KtDPDkl1hM%2C_%3B6dPkKk0jpi_n9M%2CpsAuTgFkBayNRM%2C_%3BouFz_ceIUNtHTM%2CDYkxvgo6YGJXbM%2C_%3B8IUg-GSyirU_eM%2CtueozQeGCUYR6M%2C_%3B_2TQ38kfie9uSM%2Cu2SFdBzv9ivV1M%2C_%3BMsvRKrrzrNn0yM%2Cqo8Aa8qDR5Um8M%2C_%3BpJvh_8cOw1RAPM%2CI_5hwVoOqQywPM%2C_%3BlFnw5elYjxAD9M%2CuOcbeWxyNdf7OM%2C_%3BXgFVam1sRuUh4M%2CDYkxvgo6YGJXbM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQIpBw8O3hjmyoou_bRQtyUeWMRgw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjau92Qm5z1AhUqq3IEHblbD_AQ9QF6BAgPEAE#imgrc=8IUg-GSyirU_eM

And a Hemmings story of it being saved:

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2009/01/06/mechanicville-virginias-crosleyonnastick-to-be-saved

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks Frank. Not sure if it was the Atlee, VA pole Crosley but one of pole Crosleys was recently taken down reconditioned and put back up or will be put backup.

Almost forgot about this one less than 10 miles from me just South of Jonesborough, TN. The LeCar has went down hill fast the last 6 years I have been in the area, not sure how much longer it will last.

LeCar.jpeg.4e28120dc8acaf3b3031a2ffeca271f3.jpeg

These pics are from the 1950s in Knoxville.  Eddie's Auto Parts on the north side of town was known to have a few body shells sitting on the roof of his business from time to time.  None are mounted on poles, but they seem to sort of fit the theme of the thread. 

49 Ford Coupe on top of Eddie's Auto Parts Old Broadway Knoxville.jpg

Eddie's Auto Parts, 4625 Walker Blvd., KJ 1954-05-06.jpg

Eddie's Auto Parts, Knoxville 1966.jpg

This one's at the campground north of Knoxville (IA) Raceway. Over the years, after a few liquid refreshments it was the source of many discussions about climbing to get in. Personally, I never got up far enough to get two pieces of paper under my feet.

Knoxville.jpg

On 1/6/2022 at 6:05 PM, Jim Bollman said:

Thanks Frank. Not sure if it was the Atlee, VA pole Crosley but one of pole Crosleys was recently taken down reconditioned and put back up or will be put backup.

Almost forgot about this one less than 10 miles from me just South of Jonesborough, TN. The LeCar has went down hill fast the last 6 years I have been in the area, not sure how much longer it will last.

LeCar.jpeg.4e28120dc8acaf3b3031a2ffeca271f3.jpeg

It's probably already outlasted most of the LeCars imported to North America...

• Like 1