The AACA forums are 24 years old!

The first iteration of this forum was started in June 1997. There are now 100++ forums, 30+ participating clubs, and 95,000 registered users from all over the world. In our most recent full month, we saw over 15,000 new topic/posts, 500,000 visits, and over 3,000,000 page views. The AACA forums is now arguably the largest forum of its kind, focused exclusively on antique automobiles of all makes and models.

• I want to thank the AACA Board of Directors and specifically Steve Moskowitz.  A few other standouts who have managed and mentored me (ie drove me crazy sometime) including Howard Scottland, Terry Bond, Earl D. Beauchamp, Jr., Janet Ricketts, and in particular - Ron Barnett. They followed (and funded) my vision since day 1 to keep this a free open forum for antique automobile enthusiasts. A few participate in this forum even today. Others have passed, and as I write this, I'm reminded of how much they are missed.
  • I want to thank the Moderators.  Without them this forum would have gone the way of many other car forums due to off topic posts and personality clashes. Their time and efforts go unrecognized and unappreciated but make this forum what it is.
  • I especially want to thank the forum users.  99.99% of you follow the forum rules and freely contribute your time, knowledge, and talents to enlighten and educate people about automobile history, and to help keep our antique automobiles on the road and properly restored.  

I never visioned 24 years ago I'd still be managing this forum. Few in my personal life know (or care) about this forum, but for me it's become my unique mission to help keep our antique automobiles and this hobby alive.

Thank you for participating.

Peter Gariepy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 13

Thank you Peter......from one of the 00.01 % users who try and stay within the rules but still manages to stray off topic,  and still drives you crazy......it’s been a fun ride so far.........and I hope to be using it here in another twenty five. 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you Peter and AACA exec’s I’ve enjoyed this forum more than any other I’ve visited. It’s well run, inclusive, organized, and 99.99% on the members are friendly knowledgeable sharing people. The moderators are good trying people too. What more could a car guy ask for???

If I’m able to stick around another 24 years like Ed said I would be 100, not going to happen but I will try to stick to the rules and enjoy the hell (oops! I think I just broke one) out of it for as long as possible. 
dave s 

• Like 3

A year from now, we can expect a healthy debate over whether this is a "true antique forum" or "just a used forum,"  with someone lamenting that they passed up a chance to buy a forum like this for $200 a few years ago and can't believe it's considered a collector forum already.

;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

3 minutes ago, 1935Packard said:

A year from now, we can expect a healthy debate over whether this is a "true antique forum" or "just a used forum,"  with someone lamenting that they passed up a chance to buy a forum like this for $200 a few years ago and can't believe it's considered a collector forum already.

;)

Took me a minute, but finally figured out your comment! (its Monday and only 1 cup in so far)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 1935Packard said:

I don't think it will be accepted as a "true antique forum" because is has been modified a lot over the years to improve it.  Maybe the moderators here should be called restomods. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hard to believe I have been a member and on this board since Dec 2008. (Yes, a relative newbie to this part of the automotive world) I wouldn't know what I would have done or accomplished with my cars in the AACA without this invaluable forum and the advice, info and friends met through this wonderful group of people. Thank you Peter for all you do to keep this going and make it the well behaved and orderly forum that it is. I know this as an important tool and daily place to go for many many members including me. Thanks again. A toast to many many more years to follow. 

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, philip roitman said:

Hard to believe I have been a member and on this board since Dec 2008. (Yes, a relative newbie to this part of the automotive world) I would'nt know what I would have done or accomplished with my cars in the AACA without this invaluable forum and the advice, info and friends met through this wonderful group of people. Thank you Peter for all you do to keep this going and make it the well behaved and orderly forum that it is. I know this as an important tool and daily place to go for many many members including me. Thanks again. A toast to many many more years to follow. 

Thanks for the positive comments!

• Like 1

I was 13 years old when this forum was launched. Already a car nut back then, but focused on hot rods and race cars. (Still focused on the latter). I only came to this forum in 2019 but I check it daily or close to it, even if I don't always comment. 

• Like 1

"Happy Birthday"? "Congratulations"? "My condolences"? They all fit the occasion!

Certainly, it is a valuable resource for thousands of people everyday. It is also a wonderful social gathering place where people of similar interests can share information and moral support regardless of the physical distances between them!

And for some of of us in these trying times? It is a comfortable 'Happy Place'!

Thank you. And thanks to all the moderators, club, and staff that help make it what it is!

• Like 1

Quite an occasion!  Hard to realize how much time has passed since those earliest days.  Peter-you were given a heavy load and have carried it well.  On behalf of those whose vision keeps us moving-thank you to all who have inspired and in some cases led us to think deep, thanks for what you've done for the hobby and AACA.  May there be many more years ahead, and as the late Ted Fiala once said, "Long live AACA-may it never run out of gas!

Terry
"

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

So who has been here from the beginning? I didn't realize it was only 3 years old when I joined. Anyone there on Day One?

You: October 9, 2001

Me: March 19, 2002

I was annoyed when I checked and you had me beat.   I think I lurked too long.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

So who has been here from the beginning? I didn't realize it was only 3 years old when I joined. Anyone there on Day One?

Matt you mean besides Peter.  I think from his comment he has been involved for longer than the forum has been operational. You might say it's his baby. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Joined dates dont go back as far as the forums due to a change in software.

.....and there is just one more example of the work no one has seen that has been done by you over the years.  Every time we have had to do a software change or upgrade you have been there to handle the job which was always SUPPOSED to be simple but never was.  While there have been times I wish these forums did not exist I do realize there are those that are willing to be good citizen's of this free service, play by the rules and those that respect the club's right and responsibility to have rules.  Thanks to your efforts Peter tens of thousands of people have made lifelong friends, learned more about the hobby and had problems solved along with being entertained.  Thanks for all the hard work!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

You: October 9, 2001

Me: March 19, 2002

I was annoyed when I checked and you had me beat.   I think I lurked too long.

My profile shows I joined on January 3, 2000 so I have both of you beat on longevity. I lose out on number of posts and how interesting they are though so I defer to both of you.

29 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Joined dates dont go back as far as the forums due to a change in software.

I don’t recall finding the forum until after we got DSL. And I am now trying to remember when we transitioned from dial up to DSL. It would not surprise me if it was in 1999 so my guess is my join date of January 3, 2000 is accurate.

• Like 2

I guess I'm an old-timer.  Some who really laid the groundwork have now passed away, but I remember talking at length with Ron Barnett about it when I was still fairly new to the AACA Board in 97.  But-we certainly can't take credit for what Peter and others have accomplished since then.  still, I'm proud to have been involved with what little I really did.  It was Peter, the moderators and Steve who have made it click and continue to do so today.  

Terry

'

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

I guess I'm an old-timer.  Some who really laid the groundwork have now passed away, but I remember talking at length with Ron Barnett about it when I was still fairly new to the AACA Board in 97.  But-we certainly can't take credit for what Peter and others have accomplished since then.  still, I'm proud to have been involved with what little I really did.  It was Peter, the moderators and Steve who have made it click and continue to do so today.  

Terry

'

Ron Barnett was my AACA mentor. 

• Drove 2,000 miles to help me as meet chairman for my first AACA National
  • Encouraged me to write the first meet management software
  • Sat on the floor in the AACA national office with me as I fixed a computer, then to be summarily run out of the building (before SteveM)! (a story best told over beers) :)
  • Let me drive his 1910(?) Excelsior(?) Motorcycle in the first 10 min after meeting, in a Holiday Inn parking lot no less.
  • How he wondered why some guy in Tucson built a website (and forum) for the AACA without asking.  (Sometimes you gotta ask for forgiveness instead of permission)
  • Talked me into the AACA BOD as an appointee, at which point I continued for 8 more years. (Never did get elected) LOL
  • Oh, and the restraint it took NOT to touch his handlebar mustache for me was legendary. :) 

• Like 4

Ron was a great guy, while we weren’t Buddy Buddy, I had the pleasure of going on some tours with him long ago, in the south, and I’m talking four decades or so.  I have a good story about him but have told it before so won’t repeat now. Enthusiastic, friendly, loved the cars and people.  One of the reasons I love our hobby, such great friendships...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Ron was a great guy, while we weren’t Buddy Buddy, I had the pleasure of going on some tours with him long ago, in the south, and I’m talking four decades or so.  I have a good story about him but have told it before so won’t repeat now. Enthusiastic, friendly, loved the cars and people.  One of the reasons I love our hobby, such great friendships...

Me too.

1 hour ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Just to be clear, I was not employed by AACA when Peter was "asked' to leave AACA National Hdqts. I was in Indiana minding my own business and having fun with my cars! :)  

I should have stated that.  

Steve welcomes me with open arms. 👍😎

• Like 1

14 hours ago, trimacar said:

.  One of the reasons I love our hobby, such great friendships...

Dave,

Your last line of your comment says it all.  I have always thought that the phrase 'you inherit your relatives and pick your friends' applied to me  so well. I was viewed for decades by cousins who were my age or older as one who was "odd", - they all thought -he is an artist and teaches art and spent his time and $ on old used cars . Well when the cars started to become more valuable $ wise their thought about me was now I was the relative that "was the rich eccentric". I feel I am still the same person, my opinion and likes are the same . As a single child my old car friends became my family , they were and are the ones I have the fondest memories of.  They shared the same passion for the same reasons.

Friendships continue to be made , I have many new ones made here via these forums that I hope to meet in person once this worldwide health crisis is done. I sincerely hope that is this October in Pennsylvania at the national AACA Eastern Fall meet.  I think of that as "the annual worldwide gathering of squirrels " Squirrels that collect old cars not nuts, so have to gather in the Fall of each year to reassure themselves that there are so many people just like them of all ages, genders, colors, speaking a variety of languages.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

...national AACA Eastern Fall meet.  I think of that as "the annual worldwide gathering of squirrels " Squirrels that collect old cars not nuts, so have to gather in the Fall of each year to reassure themselves that there are so many people just like them of all ages, genders, colors, speaking a variety of languages.

The hobby very much considers the AACA Hershey meet as Mecca for old car enthusiasts.

BUT...

As awesome as it is, it's only attended by a small percentage of those in the hobby due to distance, costs, etc.

SO...

This forum, in its own way, fills the gap. Allowing anyone worldwide to interact with other like-minded car guys and gals.

• Like 1

2009...... A family trip to Hershey Park, I was able to talk the wife into a visit to the AACA Museum. BEST DAY EVER ! We became members and I signed up to the forum in 2012.

Thanks to Peter and all the moderators... I made a lot of friends here and learned so much about our vintage automobiles!

Thanks Guys !

Steve

• Like 2

The museum the club started is no longer affiliated with our national club.  Just wanted to make that clear as they continue to share our name.  It is a museum certainly worthy of a visit.  When you are in Hershey next time visit your AACA Headquarters and Library.  it is free and there are many things to see and of course the word's largest public automotive library is right here in this building. 

• Like 3

Thanks, Steve , for all you and your staff do, for preserving and furthering one of the very best sites in this Universe....

Congratulations  on the first 24 years... May you go for another 24 more years, when we are all drooling on ourselves, if we are all still alive, and there is no longer an old car hobby... (Really hope that day never comes!!)

--- Craig...

For all that you do Peter someday we'll have to meet up and I'll treat you to Dinner and a Bottle of whatever you like. I'm sure the conversation will get rather deep in nuts, bolts, and the left over rust of this forum. Thank You and all the others that have contributed to keep this website alive. Dandy Dave!   

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Peter,

We would like to get Jordan Motor Cars listed in the Forums Section of your website.  Right now the posts are mixed in under Continental, Moon, Ruxton, and other miscellaneous topics.  How do we go about doing this?  Also, we would like to announce our new Club Website.  The address is www.TheJordanRegister.com.  Thanks in advance for your help.