Old tools

zeke01

8 hours ago, Isaiah said:

The magnet charger will  work on  a lot of tractor and the old hit and miss engines. magneto

That one is a nice one..

Yup. I've charged my share of them. 

6 hours ago, mike6024 said:

The Vice Grips with the "Easy Release" are a newer model, not an "antique."

Real Vice Grips don't have that.

Real Vice grips. LOL. I have a patent on a clamping device that they had some interest in. I was given a privet tour of the factory in Dewitt, Nebraska. this was around 1990. There is was a wall case in the hall across from the company President's office. He was  a grandson of the original owner and inventor. The first pair was in that wall cabinet and it had a bolt in the handle to tighten it. Yes, some pairs from the 1920's and 1930's did not have the release lever. It was added later. Real Vise Grips were made by the Petersen family. Last I knew, Erwin Tools owns the company now. The pair I have is from the 50's or 60's. Dandy Dave. 

10 hours ago, mike6024 said:

P4100012.JPG

P4100014.JPG

P4100013.JPG

Yes. That is like a second or third generation pair. There was around 25 or 30 pairs in that case and all were a little different with changes though the years. Dandy Dave!  

Just Dave, Is this what you are looking for?  I had one some years ago but just went out to garage and cannot find it. It has been loaned to many of the local car members over the years and somehow It has not returned. I found it at a local swap meet not long after seeing this pic in the '34 Truck repair manual. I saw that weird thing and asked the seller what the heck is that thing? He said 'don't know. I asked how much? I believe he said $15.00 and I said sold. This is one of those tools one acquires over time and use once or twice then loose it . Good Luck finding one.

'30s Steering Wheel Puller II.JPG

'30s stering wheel puller.jpg

3 hours ago, RAH said:

Just Dave, Is this what you are looking for?  I had one some years ago but just went out to garage and cannot find it. It has been loaned to many of the local car members over the years and somehow It has not returned. I found it at a local swap meet not long after seeing this pic in the '34 Truck repair manual. I saw that weird thing and asked the seller what the heck is that thing? He said 'don't know. I asked how much? I believe he said $15.00 and I said sold. This is one of those tools one acquires over time and use once or twice then loose it . Good Luck finding one.

'30s Steering Wheel Puller II.JPG

'30s stering wheel puller.jpg

That a Miller 232 steering wheel puller that also came with a thick protective leather backup collar.

I use mine occasionally.

I have a friend of has one too. Took four  years to find one for him though.

It is a rare tool for sure.

I have a lot of 30s' 40's Miller MoPar service tools...use them doing mechanic work.

Steering wheel Puller Miller 232 (2).JPG

Steering Wheel Miller 232 Puller.JPG

Wall of Miller tools.jpg

Edited by c49er (see edit history)
  • Like 4

On 4/7/2020 at 11:31 PM, Terry Bond said:

Here are a couple of tool assortments out in my "museum."  First one is a cabinet full of early tools, many for Model T Fords.  I bought this cabinet complete as you see it.  Good story, catch me at Hershey for the details.  Next, is an old tool chest full of stuff.  It was owned by a mechanic who worked at a Norfolk Studebaker dealership beginning in 1916.  I have several souvenirs form that old dealership, but this tool chest is filled with neat stuff that I've found very handy over the years.  Last item is one of several little old socket sets I've got but this one has a great label inside the lid.

I have a good friend in NJ who has collected odd wrenches for years and It's simply amazing what hangs on the walls in his basement.

Terry

Tool cabinet.jpg

Tool chest.jpg

Tools wrench set Ford.jpg

This could have come from the 1919 Western Auto Ford catalog. Neat. $4.40 seems pretty pricey for 1919. Must be a good quality set.

Screenshot_20200413-120626_Gallery.jpg

2 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

Here is a socket  set I picked up well over 35 years ago and it was old then. The logo inside has a small bit of gift wrap stuck to it

002 (2).JPG

006.JPG

I have that set in a 1/4 drive that I use every day.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 4:12 PM, Bill Boudway said:

Hi,

Yes, I know it's a bit brace.

Extra credit  if you can  tell what trade might find it useful

IMG_1718[1].JPG

A Corner Brace.

I also own one of these.  Electricians! Hard to operate a brace and bit inside a stud bay!

Plumbers just use an ax.... Ha! 😄    Never seen a bit for a brace thatr would cut 4" holes.... 

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

This socket set was owned by an old mechanic who once worked for a Ford garage in Alaska. Made by the Bethlehem Spark Plug Company. I've posted this before,but can't remember which forum.

Vintage socket set 001.JPG

• Like 2

This is probably not terribly old but I find it a little different. It's a socket set with allen wrench handles instead of a ratchet. Maybe someone can shed some light on it. It was given to me by a club member who can no longer work on cars. 

20200413_143219.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 9:57 PM, James Wright said:

Don't ask me to identify this, other than it's an old jack, or ask where it came from. My favorite daughter found it somewhere and knew I'd like it. If anyone can shed any light on it, go for it. 

20200406_215235.jpg

IMO, this is an old wagon jack.  Pre horseless carriage.

On 4/6/2020 at 8:04 PM, zeke01 said:

And this

AA4A5820-1A4C-4311-AE8F-7EDD6909C8D7.jpeg

I have an assortment of rethreaders that look like this.  They are very handy.  This is a picture of fixing a stud on my '08 Buick F.  Most of them I bought at flea markets for less than $10 as most persons did not know what they were. 

image000000 (3).jpg

The carpet is in my garage.  I have wall to wall carpet.  It is great in the winter.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Another tool I found in the archives yesterday. It was in my Morris taper key attachments for Morris tapered drills and such. When I cleaned it up it was not a tapered key to release a Diamond drill. It is a tire Iron. Diamond Rubber Company. Akron, Ohio. 

IMG_2557.JPG

IMG_2559.JPG

• Like 1

Speaking of favorite tools, that Diamond tire iron just reminded me of my personal favorites-the H.D. Smith Perfect Handle tire irons.  I've got two different sizes, and together they make it easy to mount the clincher tires on my 1914 T.  The wooden handle is perfect!  I've managed to find a second set to keep in the Model T on tours, but that's like carrying an umbrella - if you have them,  you'll never likely need them. 

Terry

H.D.Smith Perfect Handle tire iron.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 3

3macboys,

That is an early tach-dwell meter, maybe from very early 1960's, on the early models you had to zero the gauge (pointer adjustment) to calibrate it before each use, but it was state of the art meter in its day. Very cool to see in 2020

• Thanks 1

I have some similar tools by that manufacturer. The dwellmeter and tachometer are two separate instruments, but look almost exactly the same. Mine are much older than the 1960s judging by the components used, and I suspect this one is too, maybe just slightly newer because the two instruments are combined.

fo3tT8p.jpg

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I had to use this screwdriver the other day and was reminded of this post. It is a "General no 808" 90 degree screwdriver. It is very useful since all four tips are on a different angle, which is handy in areas where you only have room to turn a screw an eighth of a turn at a time. Normal 90 degree screwdrivers need room for a full half turn before the tip will engage the screw again. I should buy a backup in case it ever walks off.

KIMG0473.JPG

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, 36 D2 Coupe said:

I agree. I have a set of Perfect Handle screwdrivers and they not only look great but feel well balanced too.

Does anybody know why they went out of fashion? Did people from one hundred years ago think plastic handles were so cool that they quit buying the perfect handle ones? I wish they would make a comeback

15 hours ago, Bloo said:

I have some similar tools by that manufacturer. The dwellmeter and tachometer are two separate instruments, but look almost exactly the same. Mine are much older than the 1960s judging by the components used, and I suspect this one is too, maybe just slightly newer because the two instruments are combined.

fo3tT8p.jpg

Instructions from Snap-on for their cam angle meter. 

A3201003-AFE5-453B-8F80-93A8AF5C354F.jpeg

A80D6C19-8E72-4FD0-B178-D8BD79FE6AA0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some of these belonged to my grandfather, the 3 crescents on the left have the Ford logo on them. The dagger was taken off a SS officer by an uncle that saw a lot of action in WWII. As I’m the only vet in the family my aunt gave it to me when he pasted. All of my sockets and wrenches are from 63 when Sears put them on sale. Complete sets of sockets, crescents  screw drivers and usually a hammer of some variety for $99

davs s

phito rotated counter clockwise for some reason? 

E6D0B1DB-4ABF-4EE0-A214-321D30722CD5.jpeg

54 minutes ago, zeke01 said:
55 minutes ago, zeke01 said:

Any ideas on what this is used for?  It is labeled Sunnen Products, St. Louis MO. If you push on the lever in the middle, the corresponding jaw opens. It looks automotive, but I don’t know. 

F50B0D0A-D8EA-4DC3-B1E7-633E769C63EA.jpeg

4C62B693-5F90-4E97-AF62-FE4C50707822.jpeg

According to Google, it is a valve stem retainer insertion tool.

35 minutes ago, Bimus said:

What did the 19/32 socket ever fit or was used for ?

Must have been somewhere on a Ford, they were the only company that i ever found with ?/32 nuts.