Old tools

zeke01

Ford flathead through about the late 40s or so.  Another of Henry's great ideas?

3 hours ago, zeke01 said:

Any ideas on what this is used for?  It is labeled Sunnen Products, St. Louis MO. If you push on the lever in the middle, the corresponding jaw opens. It looks automotive, but I don’t know. 

F50B0D0A-D8EA-4DC3-B1E7-633E769C63EA.jpeg

4C62B693-5F90-4E97-AF62-FE4C50707822.jpeg

This tool holds 2- 1/2 shell valve keepers to be installed after a valve grind. It holds the 2- 1/2 shell keepers while you gently slide them around the valve stem (see the notch on each side if the holder) then you pull the trigger and at the same time release the valve spring to hold the 1/2 shells around the valve stem. I've used one many times and yes they work and it save the tips of your fingers.

brasscarguy

I had wondered about those 19/32 and 29/32 wrenches that are in some older sets I've picked up. Truthfully I figured they were some Chrysler weirdness because I never found that size fastener on GM or even tractors...😜  Good to know what they're for as it helps me date those wrenches within a few years.

I picked up an ancient S-K toolbox with a decal on the lid at an auction last year. Until that time never knew S-K stood for Sherman-Klove.

I've taken to picking up push drills at swap meets, flea markets, antique shops etc and have gotten lucky enough to find some still with all the bits. Got one brass one from Bell Telephone. Yes, cordless drills made them obsolete but I enjoy using them on quick-n-dirty jobs. 

Been wasting time today taking apart old ratchets and doing a clean and lube on them. Amazing how good these old Craftsman, NAPA and Blackhawk pieces work now!

3 hours ago, rocketraider said:

push drills

AKA Yankee Drill. Or Yankee Screwdriver. Of course, only those made by North  Brothers Manufacturing Company and those that bought them out (Stanley) are actual Yankee drills....

Still have them, use now and then. 

You familiar with McFeely's catalog? They carry the adapters for 1/4" bits.

https://www.mcfeelys.com/search/?q=yankee

Although they work the same and look similar, there is a difference between a push drill and a yankee screwdriver. They do make bits for yankee screwdrivers though. I learned this when buying tools for my hand tool wood shop.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ryan95 said:

Although they work the same and look similar, there is a difference between a push drill and a yankee screwdriver.

Can you elucidate on this difference?

I don't have a Yankee screwdriver, but here is my Miller's Falls push drill. Usually they have bit storage in the handle, are smaller than a push drill, and they don't have the spiral part of the mechanism exposed like the Yankee screwdrivers do.

KIMG0497.thumb.JPG.88f66f402578fddbb9f03fb1ec3f5004.JPG

On 4/24/2020 at 7:58 PM, rocketraider said:

I had wondered about those 19/32 and 29/32 wrenches that are in some older sets I've picked up. Truthfully I figured they were some Chrysler weirdness because I never found that size fastener on GM or even tractors...😜  Good to know what they're for as it helps me date those wrenches within a few years.

Actually the old wrenches that are xx/32 are probably for and used on cars built prior to the Society of Automotive Engineers standardizing bolt sizes and thread counts in about 1912 from what I have been told.  I am sure there were some carry over vehicles.   My 1908 has a number of those different size bolts.  I carry a crescent wrench with me on tours.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

So, you say a Yankee drill does not exist? 

Because this picture looks just like mine:

Yankee Drill.jpg

3 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Just like mine although my Grandmother always referred to it as the "pushy, pulley go like helley drill"

9 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Yankee made push drills too. Probably the most important difference, which I forgot to mention, is that the shanks of the bits are different. The shank of a push drill bit is about half the size. There are adapters though. Look at the picture I found on Google. Early push drills used another type of bit altogether. I think they used a three or four jaw chuck.

s-l300.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Yankee Drill.jpg

My brother sent me a package earlier this year with some tools that were once my dad's.  One of the items was this exact same Yankee #41 push drill.  When I first saw it I didn't know what it was.  Now that I saw this thread I'm going to have to find a place in the tool box for it. My dad also had the other longer version one as well. 

Hello rah and everyone,sorry I haven’t been back to this post recently,yes that is one of the steering wheel pullers,they made several different kind,but it’s hard t find the ones that grab the wheel from underneath,I hate tapping on the end of the shaft because I know what I will do,I’m not as heavy handed since I got older but I still can break things if I’m not careful,   Dave

Our Yankee drill was pressed into service many times to drill a small hole in plaster to hang pictures. 😉  Other times it was for woodworking. Never saw it used on metal. For that we used the breast drill.😁

Yes, I have seen the different "chuck" sizes on the tools I have, now it makes sense. The exposed spiral is a screwdriver with the larger chuck and the drill is the smooth shank with the smaller chuck is the drill.👍

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

On 4/24/2020 at 7:58 PM, rocketraider said:

Been wasting time today taking apart old ratchets and doing a clean and lube on them. Amazing how good these old Craftsman, NAPA and Blackhawk pieces work now!

What a coincidence, I took apart my sticky ratchet

and lubed it yesterday.

I was going to throw it out but it turned out to only had some sand in it.😊

I dig that WIZARD ratchet! Been accumulating various WIZARD hand tools the last few years as it seems they weren't as common here as others, though 3 towns within 20 miles all had Western Auto stores.

My uncle had beaucoups of Montgomery Ward Powr-Kraft hand tools from when they lived in Baltimore. I don't know what happened to them but I'd love to have them for the connection to him as well as to a brand no longer existing.

Friend has found a list of Craftsman tools that you can find out what company made the tools for Sears and when.

I didn't have any sand in my ratchets, just a lot of dried or non-existent grease. WD40, Q-Tips and a film of SynCo Super Lube synthetic grease I got at Harbor Freight made them work smoothly again. I swear some of those ratchets weren't this smooth new...

I have found that Super Lube works well on adjustable wrenches AKA knucklebusters too. I used some PB Blaster on one of the push drills to free it up but I actually think some powdered graphite might be better for one with exposed spiral like the Yankee. Last year Spring Carlisle found a guy who had a case of Lock-Ease graphited fluid for a buck a bottle. Since I was there and it was there...

On 4/20/2020 at 9:22 PM, Tinindian said:

Must have been somewhere on a Ford, they were the only company that i ever found with ?/32 nuts.

Franklin engines used that 19/32 size in what are called "heavy hex" style nuts..

Paul

This is another interesting Smiths Perfect Handle tool - a folding screwdriver. 

Terry

Smiths perfect handle screwdriver 3.jpg

• Like 1

This GE Tungar battery charger shows a patent date of 1921,the same year as the car in the background. It's wired for 25 cycle,which was changed over to 60 cycle in Ontario in the late '40's and early '50's.

IMG_1657.JPG