Jump to content

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

 

For those of you out of TP go to Amazon and buy Genuine Joe 23600 center pull towels.  They are under Commercial Paper products.  Function adequately as TP and Paper hand drying towels

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Robert G. Smits said:

For those of you out of TP go to Amazon and buy Genuine Joe 23600 center pull towels.  They are under Commercial Paper products.  Function adequately as TP and Paper hand drying towels

But can you flush them?  Or does one need a sealed trash can in bathroom?

 

Marty, I’m not sure I’ve ever had a meal you cooked, although I know you’ve had a few from me!

 

I agree the responsibility is now, and has been for a while, on individuals and their behavior.  It’s human to want to “blame” someone, but the couple of times I’ve, of necessity, had to be out, I see a lot of “it won’t happen to me and you can’t tell me what to do” attitude.  This is one time our sense of freedom is working against us....

 

Kudos to moderators for letting us keep in touch and discuss this new world we live in....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of little things have changed. Water is my current obstacle. My well has lots of poor quality water, only runs dry about September for a few weeks so normally no problem with toilets ,showers, wash etc.

But for the last 25 years I have been using bottled water for drinking and cooking, about a jug and a half each week. Up until my father sold his house about 3 years ago I stopped in once a week , had a cup of coffee ,

talked over what was going on in the family and the world  , filled my two water jugs,and generally kept in touch with him and his wife. Anything that he needed help with would also be taken care of.

 Then I started using the self serve refill at the local supermarket . $3.00 a jug about $5.00 a week. Still just pocket change compared to the $30,000 or so for a new well that still would most likely need a expensive filtration system.

Lots of Ag runoff in our local aquifier.

Now the self serve fill is shut down for health reasons. So either pay $12.00 a jug for pre fill and stock pile the empty's { no returns accepted at this time for health reasons } or buy flats of the small 1/2 litre bottles. either way 

lots more money and at some point a good sized truckload of empty's to eventually have to return. And a small fortune in bottle deposit fees. If this goes on for several months I will have a room full of empty's.

 

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rarely go out anyway and have worn a mask, gloves.and safty glasses for a month when I make my weekly run for groceries. Living alone I have not much choice about fresh produce.. Death toll in the US (about 1.4%) is much lower than worldwide (near 5%) if you believe the CDC, WHO, and Johns Hopkins (tell me three times) so something is working.

 

Tomorrow SCi_Fi channel is showing all six Sharknado movies & have DVR primed. It is amazing how many movies use a chrono symplastic infundibulum or similar to fix the unfixable.Marvel uses them all the time, sometimes even in the same movie (End Game). In engineering this is known as "here a miracle occurs". Several times when I was a design engineer I speced things that did not exist. Then. But would.

 

Puttering around building an Ubuntu server to run Big Blue Button. Thought an open source alternative to the eminently hackable ZOOM that is not cloud based might be useful. Passes time.

Particularly when the el cheapo case I ordered to pile stuff in turns out to have no provision for any outside drive access (like a CD/DVD) but does have multicolored LEDs so must be good.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Our new outside look....

IMG_7448 (2).JPG

 

 

Hey, you're the people who robbed the liquor store the other day!  😄

 

I like the minion mask best. Stay healthy!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robert G. Smits said:

For those of you out of TP go to Amazon and buy Genuine Joe 23600 center pull towels.  They are under Commercial Paper products.  Function adequately as TP and Paper hand drying towels

 

I've been going through my supply of 1500 grit wet or dry sand paper. Does a pretty good job and no chance of a finger "poke through". My wife hates it.....😀.........Bob

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, trimacar said:

 Marty, I’m not sure I’ve ever had a meal you cooked, although I know you’ve had a few from me!

 

I agree the responsibility is now, and has been for a while, on individuals and their behavior.  It’s human to want to “blame” someone, but the couple of times I’ve, of necessity, had to be out, I see a lot of “it won’t happen to me and you can’t tell me what to do” attitude.  This is one time our sense of freedom is working against us....

 

Kudos to moderators for letting us keep in touch and discuss this new world we live in....

 

David,

 

You've had some meals which Dale prepared, and I believe one or two I may have grilled out back when you still lived in Louisiana. Your cooking is especially appreciated - 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marty Roth said:

 

David,

 

You've had some meals which Dale prepared, and I believe one or two I may have grilled out back when you still lived in Louisiana. Your cooking is especially appreciated - 

 

That’s true, gee, that was only 40 or so years ago!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, trimacar said:

That’s true, gee, that was only 40 or so years ago!

 

We're not getting older,

We're getting better

 

Jambalaya,

Chicken & duck andouille gumbo, 

Red beans & rice-

 

Sure is nice-

 

I've been cooking here for most of the past 17 months-

gotta' be gettin' better at it?

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mike6024 said:

I haven't had TP for almost 3 weeks now. Been relying on a stock of Kleenex. I have not seen TP in any of the stores I've been to for nearly a month now. Safeway has a sign on the shelf saying take no more than two; but the shelf is completely empty, and no Kleenex or paper hand towels either. Also been to Lucky and FoodMax which are SaveMart stores and their shelf also empty. I used to always buy TP at the Dollar Tree Store but they are always out now.

 

Literally just ordered 1500 sheets of Kleenex from Amazon two days ago and it arrived today.  Try and see if it works.  Wife found somewhere that has TP and ordered a case. They promised delivery in a couple of weeks.  Prices not terribly out of line either

Link to post
Share on other sites

So Quebec has a high number of cases of COVID for the simple reason their March break was at the beginning of the month and everyone travelled. Here in Ontario the travel alerts went out a few days before school was out and it saved a lot of people from getting infected.   As we left the house today for an errand, an alert came over the cell phone asking us to consider whether we really needed to be out and to stay home if possible!  Marty, our cancer hospital is grading patients and if treatment can be deferred or medications switched so that they can be administered at home, that is what is happening.  Scary when what is being prescribed at present is working very well.  But we will make it through . The real problem is that I am whipping through my wife’s project list and she is racking her brains to come up with more.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

 

I've been going through my supply of 1500 grit wet or dry sand paper. Does a pretty good job and no chance of a finger "poke through". My wife hates it.....😀.........Bob

 

Bob.

 

When your supply of 1500 grit wet or dry runs out,

hope you don't need to use the 20 grit

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Literally just ordered 1500 sheets of Kleenex from Amazon two days ago and it arrived today.  Try and see if it works.  Wife found somewhere that has TP and ordered a case. They promised delivery in a couple of weeks.  Prices not terribly out of line either

Where is the Sears Catalog when you really need it?  This digital age and on line shopping sure has its drawbacks!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, JamesR said:

 

 

Hey, you're the people who robbed the liquor store the other day!  😄

 

I like the minion mask best. Stay healthy!

I was just thinking I liked the other one... but i'm not sure what those little critters are on it.... Cooties?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

 

Bob.

 

When your supply of 1500 grit wet or dry runs out,

hope you don't need to use the 20 grit

 

Tried it. Can't recommend it. ............Bob

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

For those of you out of TP go to Amazon and buy Genuine Joe 23600 center pull towels.  They are under Commercial Paper products.  Function adequately as TP and Paper hand drying towels

Anyone heard of John Wayne toilet paper? It's hard as nails and don't take crap off of anybody!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Louisiana, this looks worth making, https://kevinbelton.wyes.org/recipes/oyster-chowder/

 

oyster chowder.jpg

 

OYSTER CHOWDER

Serves 4 to 6

1 cup chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon Creole seasoning 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken stock
1 pound golden potatoes, cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons butter
3 slices bacon, finely chopped
2 cups chopped onions
2 to 3 dozen oysters, reserved in their liquid
1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half 1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon salt Parsley, for garnish

Bring stock and potatoes to boil in large, heavy saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, reserving liquid.

Melt butter in large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until bacon begins to brown, about 8 minutes. Add onions, celery, garlic, bay leaf, and Creole seasoning. Sauté until vegetables soften, about 6 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in liquid from potatoes. Add potatoes, oysters with their liquid, half-and-half, and hot sauce. Simmer chowder 5 minutes to blend flavors, stirring frequently. Season with salt. Garnish with parsley and serve.

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lahti35 said:

I was just thinking I liked the other one... but i'm not sure what those little critters are on it.... Cooties?

Those are big germs on the outside to keep the little germs outside.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Our PA governer just decreed that face masks must be worn by all when out and about. He didn't say where/how to buy them but did provide plans on how to sew them. Says you can use a sewing machine or needle and thread. Oy Vey!

Talked to a friend today who is living on a boat in the Fl. Keys. Says no one is wearing masks but the highway to the Keys is closed from Marathon south.

On a local note one of my wife's hens was killed yesterday by a Red Tail hawk. One less daily egg. He/she ate the neck and most of one drum stick. Life can be cruel but one's loss is another's gain. I put the remains up in the woods where  other critters will profit. By tomorrow it will be in another's belly. A racoon, opossum, coyote, or bear will be full for another day. Waste not want not.....Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mentioned it before but have a bidet in my toilet and use very little TP. One I have is NLA but are several alternatives. Best is a wand that moves to the center of the bowl and has a valve.

 

Am curious what someone who lives alone and gets the bug is supposed to do. Fridge and money jar on front porch ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mike6024 said:

Speaking of Louisiana, this looks worth making, https://kevinbelton.wyes.org/recipes/oyster-chowder/

 

oyster chowder.jpg

 

I used to get down to NOLA with some regularity. Usually to Lakefront airport. There were a few Mom & Pop eateries in the vicinity. I haven't had a decent bowl of gumbo since, My wife tried but it's just not there. I used to love being down wind of the Luzianne coffee company. The smell of the coffee/chicory being roasted was sublime. ............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

I used to get down to NOLA with some regularity. Usually to Lakefront airport. There were a few Mom & Pop eateries in the vicinity. I haven't had a decent bowl of gumbo since, My wife tried but it's just not there. I used to love being down wind of the Luzianne coffee company. The smell of the coffee/chicory being roasted was sublime. ............Bob

 

I had some grilled oysters when I was in NOLA, and they were fantastic - would have thought that grilling them would have ruined them but nope. There's a place here that imports American groceries, and the Zataran's mixes make a good quick meal after work (obviously if you made it from scratch it would be nicer... but can't really be bothered after work)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been stripping out the floors, carpet and full interior on my boat.  Working on my own with gloves removing rotted wood, etc. Didn't really want to do this job, but keeps me busy and constantly cursing myself for buying another boat with wooden floors!

donz1 002.jpg

donz1 005.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got it ripped down to the stringers, and fuel tank removed, all seats, engine covers, rear sunpad and  rear seats gone. I'd rather be working on my Corvette!

donz11 003.jpg

81vet 003.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a 42 foot 1948 Wood Chris Craft That had a step along side the cabin. I noticed the front board looked bad and when I checked it was soft. I pulled it out and foolishly checked inside and saw more problems. 178 board feet and five months of working nights and weekends later I had it put back together. The previous summer I had rebuilt the two Chevy 327’s it had in it. Got it in the water and sold it right away. Floor boards would not seem to bad to me. 
Have fun 

dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

Our PA governer just decreed that face masks must be worn by all when out and about. He didn't say where/how to buy them but did provide plans on how to sew them. Says you can use a sewing machine or needle and thread. Oy Vey!

Talked to a friend today who is living on a boat in the Fl. Keys. Says no one is wearing masks but the highway to the Keys is closed from Marathon south.

On a local note one of my wife's hens was killed yesterday by a Red Tail hawk. One less daily egg. He/she ate the neck and most of one drum stick. Life can be cruel but one's loss is another's gain. I put the remains up in the woods where  other critters will profit. By tomorrow it will be in another's belly. A racoon, opossum, coyote, or bear will be full for another day. Waste not want not.....Bob

 

Seek and ye shall find......

 

Commonwealth of PA Universal Masking and other information

 

BTW, in the above link the Governor "recommended" the use of a mask.

 

US Surgeon General Jerome Adams demonstrates how to make a cloth face covering

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by charlier (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bhigdog wrote:I used to love being down wind of the Luzianne coffee company. The smell of the coffee/chicory being roasted was sublime.

 

As a New Englander I had never heard of chicory as a component of coffee until I took the Chief Engineers job on a self-propelled semi-submersible derrick

barge used in oilfield construction. (The crane onboard was rated at 3500 tons static lift, but thats another story). Two of us joined in Capetown and rode to the Gulf of Mexico with a Dutch and Indonesian crew.

On arrival we went to anchor and the Dutch and Indonesians flew home and a new crew  came on board by helicopter. The biggest proportion of the new crew were from south Louisiana and we nearly had a mutiny on our hands until  a good supply of Community brand (heavily chicory) coffee was flown in.

I actually developed a taste for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a high Oriental population where I live (Vancouver, British Columbia). Long before Covid19 showed up it was commonplace to see a lot of them wearing masks.  It is just something they do as a matter of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Waiting for the frogs and locusts.....

 

I shared this, reading it to my wife. She groaned, and told me that parts of Africa are suffering from a locust invasion, one of the worst in half a century!  

I quit following much news about ten years ago. I was getting too upset by what I saw and read. But she keeps me informed enough about things that are important or interesting.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

 

I used to get down to NOLA with some regularity. Usually to Lakefront airport. There were a few Mom & Pop eateries in the vicinity. I haven't had a decent bowl of gumbo since, My wife tried but it's just not there. I used to love being down wind of the Luzianne coffee company. The smell of the coffee/chicory being roasted was sublime. ............Bob

 

2 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

 

I had some grilled oysters when I was in NOLA, and they were fantastic - would have thought that grilling them would have ruined them but nope. There's a place here that imports American groceries, and the Zataran's mixes make a good quick meal after work (obviously if you made it from scratch it would be nicer... but can't really be bothered after work)

 

40 minutes ago, JimKB1MCV said:

Bhigdog wrote:I used to love being down wind of the Luzianne coffee company. The smell of the coffee/chicory being roasted was sublime.

 

As a New Englander I had never heard of chicory as a component of coffee until I took the Chief Engineers job on a self-propelled semi-submersible derrick

barge used in oilfield construction. (The crane onboard was rated at 3500 tons static lift, but thats another story). Two of us joined in Capetown and rode to the Gulf of Mexico with a Dutch and Indonesian crew.

On arrival we went to anchor and the Dutch and Indonesians flew home and a new crew  came on board by helicopter. The biggest proportion of the new crew were from south Louisiana and we nearly had a mutiny on our hands until  a good supply of Community brand (heavily chicory) coffee was flown in.

I actually developed a taste for it.

 

Luzianne and now Folgers coffee is roasted  near the I-10 bridge crossing the Industrial Canal, southeast of the New Orleans Lakefront Airport. The airport was built in the 1930s, and now serves primarily General Aviation. The Art Deco building was renovated in the 1950s/1960s as a bomb shelter for city administration, with the murals covered over with thick concrete. 

 

Several years ago, renovation was completed, restoring this beautiful place back to her original grandeur. Prior to the "Stay Home" here in the New Orleans area, our AACA Lagniappe Chapter from Houma, LA invited other local car clubs to join us for lunch there at the Walnut Room, and later for a short drive to the newly built, and newly reestablished DIXIE BEER BREWERY and PUB for a tour and Taste of the facility, also right on the canal, but across the I-10 - all-in-all a lovely day to take out the '54 Caddy.
 

in addition to restoring the brewery to New Orleans, Gayle Benson also owns the New Orleans Saints, and the Hornets basketball team.

 

Neighbor kid and Dad came by to look at Caddy.

82E1C377-D852-4900-8BDA-E92CACDBD5A0.jpeg

 

DE9A8DCF-A6A9-4413-AD09-E196B6C3E608.jpeg

 

E86E6183-980C-4952-B9C5-0C1AE9276254.jpeg

 

1E5C94B7-6EF0-406F-BF1B-19D80587858B.jpeg

 

FA9E10A6-4D84-4B94-855C-4EFF3516E54E.jpeg

 

50333B06-9C53-4DF6-BF9E-7258CAC7EDB6.jpeg

 

836ECF4A-297F-4DE8-90BE-F43817C932DB.jpeg

 

 

 

50CFD300-B7EF-498D-95A4-D43300C1B560.jpeg

 

6048514E-43E1-4711-902F-60AD0657DA6E.jpeg

 

78DAC4A4-6E2C-42B2-8361-E8FAEDD9ACD4.jpeg

 

C6BE90A0-55CA-48AF-A299-B144BA65B624.jpeg

 

DE85C839-A926-49E8-99D4-01FD75D0EEF2.jpeg

 

34E03ADE-28C8-4E20-BCDE-6EE724D8B114.jpeg

 

3810AB7A-6710-4748-A7DC-301E10D52A9C.jpeg

 

7E720BA6-8109-4644-8B38-7BC77C9CE0E1.jpeg

 

08D1D4CB-C2BD-4E88-8F05-FA926B51DC96.jpeg

 

49FA6511-4795-4475-BC91-2ECB718C5B20.jpeg

 

740E6C16-6DF5-45A6-8B2C-D5A95985C193.jpeg

 

86406FED-5D6F-42F4-8292-05FA183EAAAF.jpeg

 

AA5BEA4B-AFAA-427F-9503-91E3B5C64BBE.jpeg

 

5BCA4B74-57B0-4C60-BFF3-EC71EBC20D0A.jpeg

 

53E4D87E-8DEF-4CDA-A1F1-9B55EB702144.jpeg

 

9BD8F894-2CE5-48C3-BECC-D7B1AAA7760A.jpeg

 

1FB97790-5F21-429A-8145-A8BAFB74BF0D.jpeg

 

FD75AC27-54FC-4AF0-B3AE-9C676A463451.jpeg

 

B2D71A72-30B7-4AE0-A5CA-F03BB7481D13.jpeg

 

9F7F386F-5C9A-47CE-B808-CD907AE809FE.jpeg

 

6CF335E5-2FD0-447F-8650-08A2AC6521A5.jpeg

 

2C0E46E7-9664-40BD-AAF1-B79589E2CB2D.jpeg

 

909130FE-7155-476D-A561-2AA2FB3AB423.jpeg

 

F019E83E-14B0-4545-93D7-1CF2E0EFA712.jpeg

 

9386762A-F4F1-4BE7-9ABD-89ACF6839181.jpeg

 

82C4167F-0E74-408E-B0B8-C34517116E23.jpeg

 

F47B607E-8827-4F10-B61B-DE69EAF050C0.jpeg

 

34F559FD-CFEA-428D-A1B6-706B5A51AB9B.jpeg

 

E6AF47E9-FBD7-41F2-8CF3-31F7A885252E.jpeg

 

217DB024-2AA9-44F3-882D-C5DC76073ACC.jpeg

 

31C9E04A-6BCB-4EEB-B539-158BCF7FA3B3.jpeg

Edited by Marty Roth
Add photos of airport and Dixie Brewery (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, JimKB1MCV said:

Bhigdog wrote:I used to love being down wind of the Luzianne coffee company. The smell of the coffee/chicory being roasted was sublime.

 

As a New Englander I had never heard of chicory as a component of coffee until I took the Chief Engineers job on a self-propelled semi-submersible derrick

barge used in oilfield construction. (The crane onboard was rated at 3500 tons static lift, but thats another story). Two of us joined in Capetown and rode to the Gulf of Mexico with a Dutch and Indonesian crew.

On arrival we went to anchor and the Dutch and Indonesians flew home and a new crew  came on board by helicopter. The biggest proportion of the new crew were from south Louisiana and we nearly had a mutiny on our hands until  a good supply of Community brand (heavily chicory) coffee was flown in.

I actually developed a taste for it.

 

2 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

 

I used to get down to NOLA with some regularity. Usually to Lakefront airport. There were a few Mom & Pop eateries in the vicinity. I haven't had a decent bowl of gumbo since, My wife tried but it's just not there. I used to love being down wind of the Luzianne coffee company. The smell of the coffee/chicory being roasted was sublime. ............Bob

 

Back in April,1968 my then future in-laws were surprised to learn that a New Jersey guy knew, and enjoyed Chickory coffee, and that was the week Dale and I met.

 

As here in Louisiana, my paternal great-grandmother always used chickory in her coffee. She was raised in the Ukraine and she, with most of the Grad family moved her family to Brooklyn and Queens, NYC at the turn of the 20th century. Chickory was used as a "filler" since coffee was an expensive luxury, and stretching it was something many folks did when keeping to a budget - kind of like hamburger helper, or adding breadcrumbs to ground meat. It became more of a tradition, and then an aquired taste here in Louisiana - and has become a way of life. Chickory coffee brewing in Dale's mom's kitchen brought back the wonderful aromas of my great grandma's home, and when I saw Dale's grandmother brew hers, boiling the water, adding the coffee, and then tossing in the crushed egg shells, I remembered that grandma told me her mother did that to remove some of the bitterness of the chickory. That was back during the WWII years when most household items were a luxury. Another memory was that she would hold a sugar cube in her teeth and filter her coffee through it. Being that she was a very proper lady, at the time I thought it strange - even unusual, and later quaint, but learned to honor rather than to question her "Old-Country" ways, and she did modernize quite a bit into the 1960s. All four of her children were musically talented. Her 2nd oldest, my grandmother sang in the NY Theater, the next was a dancer, the youngest played piano, but her son, the eldest was one of the premier trumpet players in NYC during the teens and into the 1920s, Succeeding multiple generations have also been professional musicians, including 17 trumpet players and Tony Orlando's arranger/composer/conductor who now coordinates riverboat entertainment on the Mississippi and Columbia Rivers.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Like other states, our state and local authorities are mandating face masks when out in public.

Even threatening a $1,000 fine if caught without one.

Not sure how they can legally impose that fine, especially when it is illegal, as per state law, to wear a mask in public.

But I digress.

In light of the new order I am going to be wearing  a Halloween mask when I am out and about.

The order says you need to have a mask on, it doesn't specify the type or effectiveness of said mask.

Either that or I will wear my full faced motorcycle helmet when I'm away from home.

 

I should go out like this but with a machete.

If asked I will tell them the machete is to enforce social distancing rules.

 

image_from_ios.jpg

Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

 

 

Back in April,1968 my then future in-laws were surprised to learn that a New Jersey guy knew, and enjoyed Chickory coffee, and that was the week Dale and I met.

 

As here in Louisiana, my paternal great-grandmother always used chickory in her coffee. She was raised in the Ukraine and she, with most of the Grad family moved her family to Brooklyn and Queens, NYC at the turn of the 20th century. Chickory was used as a "filler" since coffee was an expensive luxury, and stretching it was something many folks did when keeping to a budget - kind of like hamburger helper, or adding breadcrumbs to ground meat. It became more of a tradition, and then an aquired taste here in Louisiana - and has become a way of life. Chickory coffee brewing in Dale's mom's kitchen brought back the wonderful aromas of my great grandma's home, and when I saw Dale's grandmother brew hers, boiling the water, adding the coffee, and then tossing in the crushed egg shells, I remembered that grandma told me her mother did that to remove some of the bitterness of the chickory. That was back during the WWII years when most household items were a luxury. Another memory was that she would hold a sugar cube in her teeth and filter her coffee through it. Being that she was a very proper lady, at the time I thought it strange - even unusual, and later quaint, but learned to honor rather than to question her "Old-Country" ways, and she did modernize quite a bit into the 1960s. All four of her children were musically talented. Her 2nd oldest, my grandmother sang in the NY Theater, the next was a dancer, the youngest played piano, but her son, the eldest was one of the premier trumpet players in NYC during the teens and into the 1920s, Succeeding multiple generations have also been professional musicians, including 17 trumpet players and Tony Orlando's arranger/composer/conductor who now coordinates riverboat entertainment on the Mississippi and Columbia Rivers.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to lunch with the guy who helped me restore my car and he was always messing with the waitress.She asked him how he would like his coffee and he said he would like it blowed and saucered.I never heard of that before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buick35 said:

I went to lunch with the guy who helped me restore my car and he was always messing with the waitress.She asked him how he would like his coffee and he said he would like it blowed and saucered.I never heard of that before.

My British father asked for coffee (he didn't like tea, strangely enough) "saucered and blown," which meant cooler than normal or even tepid.  I'll stay with "piping hot," thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I worked at the Space center in Fl.we went to the pharmacy as they called it to get out chemicals such as acetone,mek,paint,ect.I asked the guy for some tempid water.He looked and looked. I finally told him I was joking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A good friend who is a little computer challenged called me and said he got this message.   He asked if he could quarantine his computer by just unplugging it?

 

 

Virus warning notice 1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I spent the morning moving loose piles of recently cut and split fire wood from the wood lot closer to the house. Mice find the small loose piles an ideal place to raise a family. At the bottom of one stack was a ball of grass, hair and milkweed fluff. As looked I could see very slight movement. I carefully opened the top of the ball and there were two tiny pink obviously newborn field mice pups. No sign of the doe.

Now these are the same critters that can raise Hell with my old (and new cars) and I have no problem eliminating them in house or garage.  But killing them just didn't seem right. I closed the ball back up and built a small stack of split wood over it for shelter.

Maybe good karma or maybe I'll be repaid with a hole in my headliner.

And so it goes.

Stay healthy...........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...