A day in my new life

Bhigdog

16 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

Just take that long ear hair and grow it long enough to tie on top to MAN BUN .  LOL ... STYLE .

UUGG, every time I see a man bun I think the guy would look better bald.

I never did like them on women either.

I did finally decide my hair was way too long and enlisted my wife and her hairdresser to do something about it.  With my Amazon-supplied hair cutting shears, my wife connected to her hairdresser's home via FaceTime on the iPad.  Jane used the scissors while Diane directed.  Jane had never cut anyone's hair before, so it was a little slow going, but the job got done, I retained both ears, and I'm satisfied with the outcome.  Heck, it's not like I'm going out anywhere for people to stare at my haircut. 

1281013095_haircut1.jpg.91c351fc0145426838531f158b411bca.jpg

967143093_haircut2.jpg.317f84b4ca0642964ec75ce74df86a5e.jpg

1992454400_haircut3.jpg.691850728843c74af3d69e2f9f5bbc44.jpg

If you want to see the Irish sheep shearer cutting his own hair, see this: 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Just gonna let it grow!

Ben

I've been doing that for over 30 years now.

Haven't been to a barber in that long.

Just trim a little off the ends now and then to get rid of the split ends.

Long hair is a pain in the rear at times but plenty of women compliment me on my hair, even total strangers when I'm out and about.  :D

Plus it fits in with the whole American Indian theme.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, zepher said:

I've been doing that for over 30 years now.

Haven't been to a barber in that long.

Just trim a little off the ends now and then to get rid of the split ends.

Long hair is a pain in the rear at times but plenty of women compliment me on my hair, even total strangers when I'm out and about.  :D

Plus it fits in with the whole American Indian theme.

That's exactly what I would do. I hate hair cuts. Problem is my hair is wavy and when it gets longish I look like Bozo the clown. On the plus side I have a near full head of hair. Last time I visited a Doc ( a bald one ) he said "I admire your hair". I said "I'll trade you". He said "you mean my age for your hair". I said "yup". He said "no thanks".... Smart man....................Bob

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Problem is my hair is wavy and when it gets longish I look like Bozo the clown.

Haha, wavy hair can get real unruly when it gets long. And forget dragging a brush through hair like that without pulling it out in clumps.

Luckily for me mine is straight, real straight.

But over the years my hairline is higher than it used to be, not too bad, just higher.

I'm not in Gallagher territory.

But when it did start to recede just a little I used to tell people my hair isn't getting any longer, it's just sliding off the back. 😁

Chrome Pro® Classic Hair Clipper Kit

I bought one of these at Target for only $18. I use the #2 comb for the sides. Go all the way up the side, plus start some of the top with the #2. Then finish off the top wwith the #8 comb.

Then of course you clean up around the edges, no comb, just be careful not to draw blood.

#2 = 1/4 inch, #8 = 1 inch

I bought this after the barber retired, he was charging $10 and I used to get a "flat top" or like a crew cut, but only longer on top. The new fellow that took over the shop was $25 minimum plus tip for any haircut. Barbershops getting scarce around here.

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

I have been on a season schedule for haircuts for years. When I was working I got haircuts at lunch time and it was easy to skip until it was really to long so I started going every 3 months close to the season change to keep track. I was planning to go in a week or two early this Spring and got busy then it was to late. So at 4 months now I'm thinking buy clippers or let it grow and try a ponytail.

I've been cutting my hair for almost 20 years. Wish I could say it was just being cheap to have more money for hobbies. But, it was moving to a new area and the two barbers I tried were bigots that insulted my religion. No need to give them any of my money. Good news, more time and  money for hobbies!👍 

I always found it inconvenient to try to get to the barber that was really a lady hairstylist.  They were always busy.  Out of curiosity one night I looked up clippers and found they were around 25.00 for a set.  I ordered them,  the wife cut my really short #2 haircut and haven't been to a styling place for 4 years now.  Saved alot of money since then and she buzzes it off in a few minutes.  I can put that money in my cars instead. 

14 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

I never understood why the barber takes a mirror and tries to show you the back of your head after cutting your hair. I never look at the back of my head any other time! 
dave s 

I never understood this either. I asked him if I don't like it what are you going to do glue the hair back on. He doesn't bother with the mirror anymore.

• Haha 1

I’m stuck in Uk ,my cars in Cyprus , so was very jealous today .

whist explointing a loophole in lockdown rules , that your allowed to drive to excersise as long as excerise  duration is twice drive time

i drove to Beutiful area called the New Forest , ancient hunting ground of kings and gentry

20 mins from my house , we walked about 5 miles along fantastic redwood lined avenues and were passed by frequent classic cars having lazy forest drive , lucky  what nots ! 

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Anyone else having trouble getting things done?  I had paid to have some trees planted this spring and the owner of the nursery laughed at me on the phone yesterday. His workers are earning better than twice what they normally would to stay home and he asked what he would like me to do about it!?? Our neighbors are envious that we were somehow able to retain the services of the Bio fertilizer guy -he has been dropping accounts left and right because he just has no help. This a guy who charges four figures to spray things on the lawn 8 times a year and he is forced to turn people away!! Our sprinkler guy and landscape guy have also both politely delayed us because they cant get any help. The good people that we rely on every year to get simple things done are vanishing. It would be nice get out there and do some of these things myself but I'm at work doing the job of 3 people just to keep things together. Things at the office aren't much different, we went half staff and the clerical office people complain constantly that the folks at home are making more than they do ( and I feel bad because they are probably right!)

The daughter got furloughed and gets $500 a week unemployment and the company is still providing the medical .

She's liking that.

And it near impossible to find any day labor these days, even out front of the home Depot.

Lots of articles in the WSJ about yet more unintended consequences of yet another government program. Oy Vey.

Things are a lot looser around here. One can go pretty much wherever they want and do whatever they want. Restaurants are closed but most all offer take out. Since I do pretty much everything my self I haven't noticed the lack of hired help.

I did manage to replenish my supply of cheap wine, expensive Scotch,  and cigars. But I did give up on making decent bagels. It's not near as easy as recipes lead you to believe. The chickens like them, though. They pay for them with fresh eggs. A fair trade I think.

I do feel sorry for the masses living cheek by jowl with everyone else under draconian and largely ill thought out mandates of command and control.

If you listen closely one can hear the beginning rumbles of civil unrest.............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since my cars are sleeping and I have a pretty complete machine shop I've been amusing myself with make work projects. This is a bronze barrel black powder cannon. I just shoot card board wads but still barks pretty good.............Bob20200424_151038.thumb.jpg.7b4c44aa3c29d31f11fcde9e2b0624d7.jpg

• Like 1

Florida has always been unkind to the unemployed, $275/wk max for 12 weeks and limited to those who can manage to get it.

"calculated by dividing your total earnings for the highest paid quarter of the base period by 26, up to a current maximum of $275 per week."

• Like 2

9 hours ago, md murray said:

Where I am it's more like $1000 a week from what I'm being told

This sounds off, so I Googled it. AH Ha. Maybe not off at all. Most states have added a $600 a week amount to benefits. So most places that is $800 to $900 a week to the unemployed person, since typical unemployment is 45% of the worker's wage.  High pay states like Massachusetts pay more. It will not last for 20 to 26 weeks like unemployment compensation. More like 12 weeks.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/23/states-paying-the-extra-600-in-unemployment-benefits.html 

However, to get unemployment, they had to have been employed and they had to have been let go. So, why did the employers let the people go? Quitting does not usually get you unemployment. Seems the issue is the employer let their workers off to collect, not the employees quit to sit around and collect.

11 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

However, to get unemployment, they had to have been employed and they had to have been let go. So, why did the employers let the people go? Quitting does not usually get you unemployment. Seems the issue is the employer let their workers off to collect, not the employees quit to sit around and collect.

Well in NY anyway most business' depending on how "essential" they were deemed were mandated to close up tight as drum for a week or two. We thankfully were able to re-open a week later but it was only with a fraction of the staff. This has created some never before seen levels of resentment and toxicity between people that have otherwise happily worked alongside each other for years.

I think the issue with the tree nursery and landscape people in the example I was complaining about stems from them being seasonal workers. I believe they collect unemployment all winter and typically resume work in the spring but in this case their weekly checks suddenly more than doubled. The nursery owner related that there was no way he could ask them to come back to work for less money in good conscience. 

15 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

We all know if you are unemployed if you get too much for too long you will just get lazy and never go back to work.

Respectfully, I must disagree with your generalization.

First, we don't "All Know" anything of the sort. I would hope that rational people would reject that dismissive comment

Second, even with a temporary supplement, Unemployment Benefits generally do not come up to the level needed to maintain a family and ongoing expenses. Benefits, if you can call it that with a straight face - having paid into the system for years, and especially here in Louisiana, are among the lowest nationally - even less than Florida. I know of families struggling to now make ends meet. These are folks who traditionally work two full-time jobs with good compensation just to keep going, as well as to continue to pay on student loans. 

Third, most have paid into the system for their entire career, only to now be forced to the curb through no fault of their own. Unemployment compensation is not charity or welfare, despite the somewhat universal feeling of those receiving it that they dramatically are ashamed of having to accept that form of support when they've been self-supporting, donated to charity, etc.

1 hour ago, md murray said:

I think the issue with the tree nursery and landscape people in the example I was complaining about stems from them being seasonal workers. I believe they collect unemployment all winter and typically resume work in the spring but in this case their weekly checks suddenly more than doubled. The nursery owner related that there was no way he could ask them to come back to work for less money in good conscience. 

While there may be some fact here, it seems to be a case of one example of possible abuse out of thousands of otherwise reasonable situations. That makes for news bite sensationalism while the typical goes unnoticed. We would likely not be happy about, oh, let's say physicians, where some might assume that there may be a lack of need for supplement. Generalizations, pointing the finger, without really knowing or admitting full detail, and maybe to shift blame, is counterproductive, but easily gains traction - think Europe in the 1930s.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The biggest change IMNSHO is that a lot of people are going to find that working from home is a Good Thing. I was a telecommuter for years before was forced to retire (age) and figured I saved  an hour and a half per day (commute time) and $250/month (gas and tolls). Also no one to complain if I exchange coffee,tea,and cola for new testament approved stimulants.

• Haha 1

Things remain almost normal here in East Central, PA. moving about is no problem. Other than restaurants most places are open although most require a mask. I have a few N-95 masks but most folks I see are using home made ones or just using a bandana. The latest scare is a coming meat shortage. Maybe so but it's not happening here, at least not yet. I was shopping today in our smallish regional super market today. I picked up a few packages of meats for the freezer. Shelves were full at normal prices. The TP shortage seems to be over. Plenty on the shelves even some full cases were set out for purchase.

Our local heating oil dealer has big sign in front of his office...... HEATNG OIL........99 cents a gal delivered..... Adjusted for inflation that's only a few cents above what I paid in 1970.

Strange times.  Strange times,  indeed.....................Bob