A day in my new life

Bhigdog

14 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

And today's news, mixed drinks will be available for delivery with a food order!

While out and about the other day I saw a sign on a restaurant that they were selling margaritas and other bar drinks to go.

I was very surprised to see that as I don't know how they would get around open container laws with that one.

You can only take home your food and drink in the trunk?

1 minute ago, zepher said:

While out and about the other day I saw a sign on a restaurant that they were selling margaritas and other bar drinks to go.

I was very surprised to see that as I don't know how they would get around open container laws with that one.

You can only take home your food and drink in the trunk?

I've found law enforcement to be pretty lax recently. I've been doing quite a few driving videos recently, which I enjoy. While filming these videos over the course of several hours, I've broken the speed limit and rolled past the local constabulary without issues. I pushed a Marmon Sixteen up to about 65 MPH on a stretch of road that is variously marked as 35 MPH and 45 MPH simply because it's a nice, flat, straight, well-paved stretch of road that seemed like a safe, reasonable place to do it without going out on the interstate. Not even a glance at me, and I'm sure his radar was lighting up that a vehicle the size of a Kenworth was hammering along at 65 in a 35 zone. Meh.

I figure if I get pulled over, I'll start coughing and sniffling and wiping my nose with my fingers before pulling out my license and trying to hand it to him.

Enjoy it while it lasts...

• Haha 1

So few are driving and accidents are way down at a time when there is a glut of oil like never before (under $1.50/gal for 87, that is $1 less than 6 months ago.. I suspect a lot will be permanent as fears will not go away quickly.

(Just a note but in 1979 I remember it suddenly going from 49c/gal to 80c/gal and $1.10 in 1985, not sure what it would be in "adjusted for inflation" - remember inflation ? Was starting again the first of the year but no more.)

Back at the very beginning of March, I got a haircut just before we went on a trip to California.  By the time we got back a week later, everything had started to change and businesses were closing up, including the hair cutting place I go to.  So, I'm into week five on the hair growth, and looking at 4 to 8 weeks before it's likely that the hair cutting place will re-open.  Pretty soon, I'll be looking like I did in the 1970s, at least around the edges.  I guess I'd better find some "how to cut hair" videos on YouTube for my wife to watch.  And I'll be sure to be extra nice to her for many days before I ask her to pick up the scissors.  The "bowl cut" may be back.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, padgett said:

So few are driving and accidents are way down at a time when there is a glut of oil like never before (under $1.50/gal for 87, that is $1 less than 6 months ago.. I suspect a lot will be permanent as fears will not go away quickly.

(Just a note but in 1979 I remember it suddenly going from 49c/gal to 80c/gal and $1.10 in 1985, not sure what it would be in "adjusted for inflation" - remember inflation ? Was starting again the first of the year but no more.)

Here's a story from up here north of the border about insurance companies actually cutting rates:

https://business.financialpost.com/news/fp-street/insurers-cutting-auto-premiums-amid-pandemic-as-less-driving-leads-to-fewer-claims?utm_source=distroscale&utm_medium=native_ads&utm_campaign=on_network_boosting&utm_content=trending_fp&utm_source=distroscale

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gary_Ash said:

Back at the very beginning of March, I got a haircut just before we went on a trip to California.  By the time we got back a week later, everything had started to change and businesses were closing up, including the hair cutting place I go to.  So, I'm into week five on the hair growth, and looking at 4 to 8 weeks before it's likely that the hair cutting place will re-open.  Pretty soon, I'll be looking like I did in the 1970s, at least around the edges.  I guess I'd better find some "how to cut hair" videos on YouTube for my wife to watch.  And I'll be sure to be extra nice to her for many days before I ask her to pick up the scissors.  The "bowl cut" may be back.

If you put a bit of a french accent on you can always go to Hair by Gilles -  Gillette!  

On 4/9/2020 at 6:03 PM, Bhigdog said:

We're running low on our favorite wine in a box. A cheap burgundy  swill. Since PA's liquor stores have been closed we will defy orders tomorrow and travel to NJ and stock up. Kind of exciting. I have planned our route out and return so as not to draw attention. We're thinking back roads are safer. I figure that with the wife and two dogs in the car no "Trooper" will suspect we are ban flaunting, tax evading, moonshiners.

So with N95 masks, nitrile gloves, and PB&J sandwiches and Pepsi Cola  packed we will set off on our adventure tomorrow late AM.

I'm so stoked.

Forbidden fruit is always the sweetest.

Most fun I've had in awhile............Bob

Booze run update..
We aborted the run because we found that box wine was available at an in state super market. That and reports of ABC men monitoring PA buys in NJ and border crossings busts.
So donning N95 mask and gloves I hit the market for booze and staples.
Quite a curious scene.
There were 4 boxes of wine left on the shelves. I took 3.
There were 9 check out lanes but only 3 were open so as to spread people out. There was a single file line the length of the store and up the far aisle waiting to check out with a store "monitor" enforcing order.
So the new policy is to make people stand in line for an hour breathing other peoples germs rather than getting them the Hell out of there ASAP.
When I checked out I was informed my wine would need to be checked out at the wine section. So I pushed my cart back the length of the germ expelling check out line to the beer/wine register where I was informed there was a limit of one box per check out and I would have to leave the store and return for the second and third box. I said so ring  them up three times separately. "No can do" the young girl said. Then she said she could hold them at the register for me to go out and return two times. WTF? So I trudged to my car, unloaded my cart and walked back past the long line of toxin spewing folks waiting to check out........TWICE.
So instead of spending 20 minutes tops rubbing elbows with the contaminated masses I got to endure an enforced 90 minutes in the name of "best government policy". 

PA has closed all of the State liquor stores. BUT.....not to worry.
They have set up a "buy by mail" State web site. Not a problem. Stay home. Be safe. We'll deliver it to your door.
The government site over the last 7 days has gotten OVER 2,000,000 hits per day. They have filled an average of 1800 orders per day.
The Gov. says they are "thinking" of increasing their "fulfillment capacity".
Our "leaders" are clueless........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 3

This may have been touched on, but this is a frustrating time.  Gas is as cheap as it's ever been, but nowhere to go so don't need any.  Our travel trailer is "trapped", as it was taken to an RV dealer in March and then they were ordered to close.  Again, though, even if we had it, nowhere to go with it.

I'm glad I have a garage with projects, at least that gets me sorta out of the house.  We're fortunate so far that there are very few cases in out town (population 27K or so and 15 cases of CV).

Our Pierce meet in June is cancelled.  I'll bet that Hershey gets cancelled, and even if it doesn't, it still seems to me there'll be a risk going out in a crowd, with the behavior I've seen it won't be gone by then.  Wearing masks around one's neck.  Wearing gloves and then rubbing one's eye with the gloved hand.  Totally ignoring the 6 foot suggest to reach in front of someone to grab a can of beans.  The list goes on....

Bob, I sympathise with you.  We are a little better off. The supermarkets here in Tasmania have a 7 am to 8 am slot for the 'Elderly and Infirm' only, with guards on the door. I was unaware of this, until I fronted at 7 am. I was a bit put out when they actually let me in without challenge. Few folk inside, all very aware of our 1.5 metre spacing rule, and the shelves had been freshly stocked over-night. A very relaxed experience, followed by a hand-wash at the car with methylated spirits. I'm hitting town each fortnight, when I run out of bolts, steel, bearings, paint, etc. The politicians here are doing a surprisingly good job of both virus control and looking out for those out of work.

• Like 2

I got an email from The Hartford this morning saying that they will be issuing a 15% refund for two months of my auto policy.

Being fed up with these guys over a homeowners policy that I was negotiating I and ultimately went another way because after all was agreed they added another fee because the house it not actually in my name but rather in my trust (same name).

I also had asked them a couple of years ago if I would have liability coverage if I drove a new acquisition home and they told me no. I pretty much decided to go shopping again.

When I first hooked up with these guys the prices were good, but over the few years have creeped up and I am not comfortable with them any more.

BUT, I will gladly accept that 15% for the two months that they offered.

Insurance is the biggest scam that we are forced to endure.

• Thanks 1

Liberty Mutual had notified us of a two (2) month 15% DISCOUNT.

Considering the outrageous rates being charged here in Louisiana, with +/- 25% Increases in each of the past two YEARS, 

it is something, but not much.

Wouldn't even fill the gas tank on any of our tow vehicles -

As If we were able to go somewhere...

22 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Booze run update..
We aborted the run because we found that box wine was available at an in state super market. That and reports of ABC men monitoring PA buys in NJ and border crossings busts.
So donning N95 mask and gloves I hit the market for booze and staples.
Quite a curious scene.
There were 4 boxes of wine left on the shelves. I took 3.

Bob, send me your GPS coordinates!  I got the truck ready with an emergency load that can be at your house in a couple of hours.  I knew this old truck would come in handy someday.

74488EDD-1546-4D14-8BE2-BF8509296C26.jpeg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Bob, send me your GPS coordinates!  I got the truck ready with an emergency load that can be at your house in a couple of hours.  I knew this old truck would come in handy someday.

74488EDD-1546-4D14-8BE2-BF8509296C26.jpeg

Hee, Hee, Hee. I'll trade you even up for TP..................Bob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm reading about a nationally spreading scene where folks are going out side at 2000 (8 PM) every night and howling as a feral way of communicating with their sequestered neighbors (pack) much as coyotes or wolves do. At first I was amused, but the reports are that it has a very positive effect on the howlers. Purportedly having your howl returned satisfies a primal urge to connect and belong to a group.

That, and the kids absolutely love it.

It makes sense.

Has anyone experienced this?................Bob

Around here its at 7pm and is a salute to responders. (nurses and doctors as well as the ambulance drivers and fire fighters etc.I think)

They are beating pots and pans together.

I don't see it out here but its on the Portland news regularly.

I might have to step outside and try that howling thing, I may get a neighbor or possibly a real coyote reply. Or could just stir up a bunch of dogs.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

Around here its at 7pm and is a salute to responders. (nurses and doctors as well as the ambulance drivers and fire fighters etc.I think)

They are beating pots and pans together.

I don't see it out here but its on the Portland news regularly.

I might have to step outside and try that howling thing, I may get a neighbor or possibly a real coyote reply. Or could just stir up a bunch of dogs.

This from Google........

(DENVER) — It starts with a few people letting loose with some tentative yelps. Then neighbors emerge from their homes and join, forming a roiling chorus of howls and screams that pierces the twilight to end another day’s monotonous forced isolation.

From California to Colorado to Georgia and upstate New York, Americans are taking a moment each night at 8 p.m. to howl in a quickly spreading ritual that has become a wrenching response of a society cut off from one another by the coronavirus pandemic.

They howl to thank the nation’s health care workers and first responders for their selfless sacrifices, much like the balcony applause and singing in Italy and Spain. Others do it to reduce their pain, isolation and frustration. Some have other reasons, such as to show support for the homeless.

Here in Michigan or governor has decided basically that if it does not go into your body, ie..food, drugs including pot which is OK to be sold.  If you can can not eat it, it is not to be sold.

So you can not go to HD or Lowe's, etc and buy paint, yard stuff, carpet, and all of the items that would keep you busy around the house.

Plus you can canoe or kayak on a lake, but no boats with motors.  And that is in the Great Lake State. 

You are not allowed to go to your cottage.  Way overboard IMO.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 6:18 PM, trimacar said:

....it still seems to me there'll be a risk going out in a crowd, with the behavior I've seen it won't be gone by then.  Wearing masks around one's neck.  Wearing gloves and then rubbing one's eye with the gloved hand.  Totally ignoring the 6 foot suggest to reach in front of someone to grab a can of beans.  The list goes on....

What are you talking about?  I haven't seen any of the things you describe.  Well, maybe there's a reason for that....

How-To-Wear-Face-Masks.jpg

• Haha 1

Ha!  I had to go to the post office the other day, being very careful and wearing a mask.  Saw a neighbor of mine who lives right down the street.  He had a mask, but it was around his neck.  I asked him, why do you have a mask if you're not going to wear it around your mouth and nose?  He said well, I hate the mask, and when I get home my wife will ask "Did you wear your mask on your errands" and I can honestly answer "yes"......

Around here if you go to the grocery before 10am the stock is good, even had TP,  eggs, and OJ today. However the "Spirits" store does not open until 11. There is a bench in front.

I have a good mask (age, respiratory issues) but even with good lungs it is hard to breathe through and fogs my glasses (wraparounds protect eyes). Also change clothes when I get home. Suddenly it is not bad to be paranoid.

• Like 1

“Travel demand is essentially zero and shows no sign of improving in the near-term,” they said. “We expect to fly fewer people during the entire month of May than we did on a single day in May 2019.”

Local news paper had 3 to 8 people fly all day last week..

Went to the grocery store this afternoon. Shelves are looking picked over but no threat of starving yet. Plenty of tuna fish and peanut butter. I thought I'd try my hand at making another batch of bagels, my first try came out like brown hockey pucks, but there's no yeast to be had. Oh well. There was one 12 pack of TP on the shelves. The good stuff, Cottonelle. I gave it a squeeze, looked it over, then left it for someone who might really need it.

Does that qualify as a random act of kindness?........................Bob

On 4/12/2020 at 2:54 PM, Bhigdog said:

and upstate New York

That's not new. He howls and swears every time he is outside. We even hear him the the walls of both our houses.

I quit paying any attention to him the day he mowed the lawn around a baby lying on a blanket.

As for my day, I dug up the old foundation of a garden shed, soaked up a little sun in my melanoma chair, and decided to make a model of Stonehenge from the cinder blocks.

Oh, oh, oh.... name a city in upstate New York. Nothing south of the 42nd parallel counts.

7 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

That's not new. He howls and swears every time he is outside. We even hear him the the walls of both our houses.

I quit paying any attention to him the day he mowed the lawn around a baby lying on a blanket.

As for my day, I dug up the old foundation of a garden shed, soaked up a little sun in my melanoma chair, and decided to make a model of Stonehenge from the cinder blocks.

Oh, oh, oh.... name a city in upstate New York. Nothing south of the 42nd parallel counts.

city in upstate New York?

We love visiting Alexandria Bay-

had a room on the rear of the 3rd floor, overlooking the marina, 

and looking straight out at Heart Island and Boldt Castle 

https://www.google.com/search?q=boldt+castle+history&rlz=1C1YBKB_enUS506US544&oq=boldt+castle&aqs=chrome.4.69i57j0l7.10092j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 1:33 PM, Gary_Ash said:

Maybe you can do some "Then and Now" photos to this thread:  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/1823041-old-pictures-of-you-and-your-car-where-did-all-that-hair-go

Craig

Last week regular gas in PA was about $1.39. Yesterday when I went to town it was $1.85. Crude continues to fall in price with some futures prices in negative numbers. So what's going on? Is it the same every where............Bob

Craig:  The real problem with hair growing is that for old farts like me, a lot of it now comes out my ears, my nose, and from my eyebrows, but no longer from the top of my head.  I have postulated that we have a "hair constant", so that what doesn't come from the top of your head anymore, must emerge someplace else.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Craig:  The real problem with hair growing is that for old farts like me, a lot of it now comes out my ears, my nose, and from my eyebrows, but no longer from the top of my head.  I have postulated that we have a "hair constant", so that what doesn't come from the top of your head anymore, must emerge someplace else.  

Oh, I know that!!  A few years ago, at the barber shop, the lady cutting my hair asked me afterwards if I wanted my EARS and EYEBROWS trimmed!!

Craig

Staying home except for the usual runs to the stores. Building model cars down the basement, and trying to be as happy as can be under house arrest. This is not the new normal. That took place when Eve ate the apple and then gave it to Adam. That's when things really changed. John

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, John S. said:

Staying home except for the usual runs to the stores. Building model cars down the basement, and trying to be as happy as can be under house arrest. This is not the new normal. That took place when Eve ate the apple and then gave it to Adam. That's when things really changed. John

Moral of the story is to never take orders from to a woman!

Craig

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

Oh, I know that!!  A few years ago, at the barber shop, the lady cutting my hair asked me afterwards if I wanted my EARS and EYEBROWS trimmed!!

Craig

You guys are lucky, After my barber does all of those things she always ask if I want the hair on my back that sticks out of my T shirt trimmed off.

Just think - if all of that hair where I don't want it could be signaled by my body to be re directed back to my scalp. Whoever figures that out will make a fortune.

Not always nice having a nickname of wolfie especially if your name is not Wolfgang. My nephew's nickname is Bear. 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)