The new owner will spend

far more than that to comply

with requirements to immediately 

clean it up and remove the 

junked cars.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

It looks like that place was in business for quite a while. The weathered salt belt cars are probably just rusty hulks with all the good parts removed. Most likely anything on the premises that had any value at all was sold over the years and is long gone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Have to agree with Jim on this one. New owner is in for a world of hurt I would imagine. The guy there now is more than likely grandfathered in. I can see the new owner having to meet some sort of current standards. If that place was in my county they couldnt give it away in that condition. 

When I was selling real estate I had a client that had just sold off his 'junkyard' of 50+ years. His was well organized, had a very nice shop for dismantling and his home was right in the middle of it all! His view out of every window in the house was 'junk yard'. Not that big of a problem though as he got several million for the whole deal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trulyvintage said:

That is Junkyard and possibly 

a Toxic Waste Site if gas 

and oil and other automotive

fluids have leached into the ground.

No problem, there is a creek nearby, just get a few gallons of Dawn detergent and give the yard a quick flush!   :hide:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Have to agree with Jim on this one. New owner is in for a world of hurt I would imagine. The guy there now is more than likely grandfathered in. I can see the new owner having to meet some sort of current standards. If that place was in my county they couldnt give it away in that condition. 

When I was selling real estate I had a client that had just sold off his 'junkyard' of 50+ years. His was well organized, had a very nice shop for dismantling and his home was right in the middle of it all! His view out of every window in the house was 'junk yard'. Not that big of a problem though as he got several million for the whole deal.

In our state, use and land are grandfathered not owner.  Therefore new owner could continue as junkyard.

• Like 1

There were two very active old time junkyards from the 1940s-1950s near me in PA that shut down in the 80s or 90s. Everything was removed from the properties including the scrap metal, tire piles, buildings and even most of the trees. Only flat empty fields remained. One was for sale for a long time but they were never sold and now they're completely overgrown again with trees and weeds. Certainly there are environmental concerns there because of the ground contamination from all the  oil, antifreeze and fluids that leeched into the ground from the 50 years or so they were in business. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, The 55er said:

It looks like that place was in business for quite a while. The weathered salt belt cars are probably just rusty hulks with all the good parts removed. Most likely anything on the premises that had any value at all was sold over the years and is long gone. 

I see several bare spots that look like all the good cars have recently been removed. 

In the one photo of the jacuzzi I think I see the profile of a nomad or a safari in the distance.

Also, the owner really would be better off just scrapping out then selling the land if he were that serious or just bringing in an auction company, then deal with real estate. While I would hate to see the cars and parts go, but from a business perspective that will be the best option for the seller 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

How hard is it to sell a project today and I would think 95% are four door cars and they have been picked long ago of the good parts. There is a reason the yard is being sold with inventory. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Classic” maybe a stretch.  I might suggest “Rusty” instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks to me like 300 auctions on Ebay with a starting price right around the scrap price - knock down the weeds, take a bunch of pictures and let someone else do all the heavy lifting.  That being said, I'm sure that I could sell my wife on the views from the property,  the plywood floors might be a tougher sell than the cars outside.  

• Haha 2

On 1/31/2024 at 8:05 AM, The 55er said:

There were two very active old time junkyards from the 1940s-1950s near me in PA that shut down in the 80s or 90s. Everything was removed from the properties including the scrap metal, tire piles, buildings and even most of the trees. Only flat empty fields remained. One was for sale for a long time but they were never sold and now they're completely overgrown again with trees and weeds. Certainly there are environmental concerns there because of the ground contamination from all the  oil, antifreeze and fluids that leeched into the ground from the 50 years or so they were in business. 

This is the most important statement so far.  If it turns out that there is considerable soil contamination from oil or other fluids and any governmental agency sinks their teeth into the issue the buyer will wish they hadn’t bought it at any price!

Edited by kar3516 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There was a former junkyard and garage for sale locally a couple years ago.  Pretty much all of the cars had been removed, and the building had fire damage.  It was the kind of place that was pretty sloppy when pulling parts.  Cutting hoses and letting coolant run out, oil leaking, etc.  

It was listed for a very low price.  I thought about it, and asked a friend of mine in his 80s who grew up here if he knew any history.  He told me that years ago, it was a repair shop, junk yard, and gas station.  He guessed the gas pumps were taken out decades ago.  

My bet is that place was a mess from an environmental standpoint.  I declined to buy it at any price.  

Same bet on this one.  Run, don't walk.  

It's hard to image that anyone is actually combing through real estate listings shopping for a junkyard/salvage yard to buy, let alone in that area and for $400k. 

Personally I think it's a mistake to list it this way and the seller should have brought in an auction company to sell everything off or a scrapper to haul away or crush the cars. Then you're left with the (project) house and the acreage to sell rather than a property littered with 300 something cars the buyer has to deal with. I don't really see a lot of value in the "business" that is being offered or the inventory. Seems to be more of a liability than anything. 

As has been pointed out already, any serious buyer should do their due diligence on the potential environmental issues and liability as well. You certainly don't want to find out that your new purchase has turned out to be a mini superfund site that you are on the hook to clean up.  For that matter, there could also be code related issues with the buildings and getting them finished out - that's not for me to figure out either, but a serious buyer should look into that as well. 

I wish the seller all the luck in the world, but I think this is going to be tough sell. 

Edited by Scooter Guy (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2024 at 9:46 PM, Akstraw said:

“Classic” maybe a stretch.

Define the word CLASSIC, this has been overused or misinterpreted for decades.  Classic Mustang or 55 to 57 Chevy? or a pre WWII era Hispano Suiza, Packard V12, Marmon V16??  Decades ago the word "nostalgia and nostalgic" was overused by everyone, today it is "Iconic" - there is iconic everything ( or classic everything) from oatmeal and sliced pickles to trash cans ( that also have patina) and high top sneakers. As an author and historian I find it all just so repetitive and really uninteresting all being presented by people who want to be one of the "in" crowd and fashionable in their use ( over or misuse?) of a current popular word.

Thank you akstraw for your comment.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Walt G said:

today it is "Iconic" - there is iconic everything

Made me smile. My daughter lives in Boston and she got onto the iconic trip. I asked "Isn't that like the top trim on a Greek column?"

She also had this "Yeah, yeah, yeah" thing. Always trice. She was visiting once and I gave her my grave, concerned look. I asked "Lisa, is there someone you hold in high regard who says "Yeah, yeah, yeah" all the time?" She gave me the look only a red haired, brown eyed woman can do. She laughed and has never said it again.

On that open air museum the topic is about, they are a bunch of junkers. I can guaranty you the next car I buy for a keeper or project is not sitting outside at this moment. The next car I buy to reseller could, and probably is outside. But that is sport selling, a term I coined during my final years in High School patterned after another term the guys were using.

Remember, the historian who rejects foibles misses a lot of history. And fun.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Made me smile. My daughter lives in Boston and she got onto the iconic trip. I asked "Isn't that like the top trim on a Greek column?"

She also had this "Yeah, yeah, yeah" thing. Always trice. She was visiting once and I gave her my grave, concerned look. I asked "Lisa, is there someone you hold in high regard who says "Yeah, yeah, yeah" all the time?" She gave me the look only a red haired, brown eyed woman can do. She laughed and has never said it again.

On that open air museum the topic is about, they are a bunch of junkers. I can guaranty you the next car I buy for a keeper or project is not sitting outside at this moment. The next car I buy to reseller could, and probably is outside. But that is sport selling, a term I coined during my final years in High School patterned after another term the guys were using.

Remember, the historian who rejects foibles misses a lot of history. And fun.

I like the term “sport selling”.  I’ll have to remember that one 👍

• Like 4

It looks like the sort of place I could really call "home ". Not so sure about my wife however.  On 18 acres you could always build another " nice " house out of sight from the ' collection " part of the property to keep the spouse happy. Very cheap by Canadian standards, that would not even buy the tiniest apartment around here.  But the wrong side of the border and the continent  for me.

I wonder what is inside all the semi trailers. Probably quite a bit of treasure.

Unfortunately the medical insurance for my wife and I would eat up quite a bit of the cheap property advantage assuming we both last another 20 - 30 years.

There are similar places around British Columbia for about double to triple the money. But in the British Columbia interior or somewhat Northern areas. Wife and I thought of moving further away from town, but the forest fire risk made us think twice and stay in the Vancouver area. Every summer you are throwing the dice with regards to getting burned out. Look at a 25 year ownership duration and the odds become quite concerning. My sister lives in the interior, twice in the last 5 years she has been on evacuation alert. Sooner or later luck has a way of running out. About 3% of British Columbia burned last year alone.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

As you ponder how much time you have left in life, and what you might do with that time, it seems really depressing to think you'd push all your chips into the center of the table on this..........I'd never openly criticize someone if they did but..........this one would be best to let pass.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I met the original owner about 40 years ago, he was buying up local old junk yards and hauling everything to this place, he had his work cut out for him. Fred Cushing was his name and I believe that he passed away a couple of years ago, he was very knowledgeable and specialized in all makes of cars and trucks 1924-72 (still have his business card)

From what I know, his son was out of state and trying to liquidate the estate, I'm sure that would be quite the task.

18 acres with buildings and cars for 400k is a good deal when the average selling price of a home in NH right now is 480k., less than 1,000 homes for sale statewide and 1000s of buyers. serious research on junkyard laws in NH would be the best way to proceed with caution.

• Like 3

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to House With Nearly 300 Classic Cars for $400K - Canaan, NH
21 hours ago, drhach said:

Are there a lot of rich junkyard owners out there? 

One of the high rollers in my area owns several scrapyards! I knew a fellow that sold a junk yard for millions. So where I live Yes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

One of the high rollers in my area owns several scrapyards! I knew a fellow that sold a junk yard for millions. So where I live Yes.

I may have to reconsider my career choices :)

Reel to Real Filming Locations: Sanford and Son (1972-1977)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Along those same lines, we had a local trash man when I was a kid. He had a couple of beat up garbage trucks that looked like they were on their last leg. His kids were made fun of in school because their dad was the trash man. He sold his business to one of the big boy companies and retired quite nicely!

• Like 3

On 2/1/2024 at 10:28 AM, Scooter Guy said:

It's hard to image that anyone is actually combing through real estate listings shopping for a junkyard/salvage yard to buy, let alone in that area and for $400k. 

Personally I think it's a mistake to list it this way and the seller should have brought in an auction company to sell everything off or a scrapper to haul away or crush the cars. Then you're left with the (project) house and the acreage to sell rather than a property littered with 300 something cars the buyer has to deal with. I don't really see a lot of value in the "business" that is being offered or the inventory. Seems to be more of a liability than anything. 

As has been pointed out already, any serious buyer should do their due diligence on the potential environmental issues and liability as well. You certainly don't want to find out that your new purchase has turned out to be a mini superfund site that you are on the hook to clean up.  For that matter, there could also be code related issues with the buildings and getting them finished out - that's not for me to figure out either, but a serious buyer should look into that as well. 

I wish the seller all the luck in the world, but I think this is going to be tough sell. 

You guys are thinking CA, this is in NH and a depressed part of NH to boot. The environmental issues aren’t as strict there. 

• Like 2

Some serious fortunes are built on garbage. Just hauling away all the offshore junk that is peddled to newcomers to the hobby would keep a few garbage removal outfits in business. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Some serious fortunes are built on garbage. Just hauling away all the offshore junk that is peddled to newcomers to the hobby would keep a few garbage removal outfits in business. 

Around the NYC Metro Area they have been always known to be 'family' business's, couldn't be any money it, could there? Come to think of it I never heard of one for sale around here.

l-intro-1639082383.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, John348 said:

Around the NYC Metro Area they have been always known to be 'family' business's, couldn't be any money it, could there? Come to think of it I never heard of one for sale around here.

l-intro-1639082383.jpg

Mr DeNaples in Scranton was good friends with those guys.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...