Laguna Seca Sued by Rich Neighbors for Being a Race Track

7th Son

This follows on the heels of drag strips and other racing venues being shut down by advancing "civilization". Maybe we all should buy video games and be satisfied we're not wrecking the environment or disturbing any Karens out there.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/motorsports/laguna-seca-sued-by-rich-neighbors-for-being-a-race-track/ar-BB1gWPFD?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=ae7f2c60229d4e408b47a4e481c130fd&ei=15

image.png.8b28b388e72d87f6f7ae6cc82ac7eadc.png

Fullscreen button

Laguna Seca Sued by Rich Neighbors for Being a Race Track

Laguna Seca Sued by Rich Neighbors for Being a Race Track© Larry Placido/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Laguna Seca is the foremost example of a racetrack choked by suburban sprawl. Though the circuit dates back to 1957, the once-secluded track has been hemmed in by noise limits and calendar limitations enacted at the request of local property owners. Now, the complainers are going for the throat by suing to end racing entirely, which might put the track's future in jeopardy.

• Like 3

Oakland Airport was constructed in 1927.  After WW2 and subsequently, some marshland at its north end was filled in to form Bay Farm Island and homes were constructed.  Noise complaints ensued.  Over the past 30 years, the airport has spent millions to enhance soundproofing in these homes.  As if the owners had not expected noise when they bought adjacent to an airport....

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Laguna Seca should be grandfathered, and noise levels should be in the Title Deed for the affected properties.   

In my case here, the south air corridor to our International Airport is clearly stated on the title deed for my property.

Craig

• Like 3

The so called RICH neighbors had enough clout to shut down the iconic Bridgehampton Race Course on Long Island. At one tome it was miles from housing, but more and more houses kept getting closer and closer. Grandfathering didn't work for "The Bridge", as it's all about the money. If they could shut down Bridgehampton, they will shut down Laguna Seca!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Grimy said:

Oakland Airport was constructed in 1927.  After WW2 and subsequently, some marshland at its north end was filled in to form Bay Farm Island and homes were constructed.  Noise complaints ensued.  Over the past 30 years, the airport has spent millions to enhance soundproofing in these homes.  As if the owners had not expected noise when they bought adjacent to an airport....

About the same thing happened in Minnesota with the people in Bloomington. Jets were flying in and out of the MPLS airport since the 50s and the complaints started in the late 70s with the housing boom.

• Like 2

A private airport in San Jose, CA, predating the barn storming days has been put on notice for dropping a few planes on nearby subdivision houses where there used to be open fields. Picky, picky, picky!

The runways will soon sprout million dollar plus condos.

This is nothing new or special, just another example of our exceptional freedoms & judicial system at work.

Anybody has a freedom & a right to sue anybody, not to mention our society having more laws, regulations & rules than any other in the history of the world, just to “protect” those freedoms and rights .

Oh the irony !

• Like 2

I went to Laguna Seca many times as a kid when it was still on an active Army Base (Ft. Ord). I  later qualified with the M14 there as a 20 year old. 

My reading of what's going on is the neighbors are complaining that the track is now used 340 days a year, and that's far different than it was 20 years ago. They want some restrictions, and perhaps they will get some of them but it's owned by Monterey County, and is a major major revenue generator (almost a quarter billion a year) . The County has said  "The County does not recognize any merit to the allegations and expects a favorable legal conclusion.”

It's not going anywhere. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I live 30 miles from Laguna Seca and it is on Highway 68, which is not really a highway, but a 2 lane road that connect Highway 101 to Monterey. People complain about the traffic which could be solved with an expansion to 4 lanes, but oh my gosh they would have to take out a dozen trees.  Even without a Laguna Seca event, morning and afternoon commute is bumper to bumper.  Will we see a improvement, yes we are told that several roundabouts are in the works and we all know how well those work.

Back to the races, I am surprised that someone hasn’t suggested that since California will be one of the first to outlaw internal combustion engines that maybe Laguna should embrace electrics, those here that know me realize that I am not advocating this, actually just the opposite .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 7th Son said:

A private airport in San Jose, CA, predating the barn storming days has been put on notice for dropping a few planes on nearby subdivision houses where there used to be open fields. Picky, picky, picky!

The runways will soon sprout million dollar plus condos.

Suburban ingress has been trying to shut down Reid Hillview Airport in San Jose for way over fifty years now. Began in 1935, it was built in an area surrounded by farms and undesirable foothills where nobody could really care about the dangers of falling airplanes. About twenty years later, suburban housing began to replace farmlands, and the battles over noise and "safety" began. No large commercial airliners there, mostly smaller private planes.

Ironically, in the late 1960s (I was going to high school in the area at the time), developers built a huge (at the time, one of the largest in the US!) shopping mall right under the landing approach. It was under construction for a couple years, but about a month after the shopping mall opened, an airplane crashed into the roof of Macy's! True to the developer's words, the roof took the hit and held up.

One of my cousins keeps his plane there.

Race tracks are a bit different. They attract lots more traffic, and might be noisier. However, they also provide entertainment for thousands of people, large tax revenues for the local municipalities, jobs and incomes for many people (which in turn also adds income for more people and in turn again and again for the local cities or townships!).

Are there some annoyances accompanying things like racing tracks? Certainly. But whether most people want to admit it or not? Almost EVERYBODY in the area benefits from them! How can they not? A vibrant healthy local economy with satisfied neighbors enjoying the "show" improves everyone's life. Some "reasonable" civic planning (especially traffic control!), and it should be a win - win - win! (Even for those who couldn't care less about racing!)

• Like 1

My favorite racetrack, the Bridgehampton NY race track was closed down in 1993 for the exact same reasons. The rich Hamptonites couldn't wait to see its demise. It is now a golf course that produces more toxins/pollution into the bay and surrounding area than any race track noise would. The Bridge was one of the best tracks in America. Even Stirling Moss said so. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Grimy said:

Same thing happened with March Air Force Base in So Cal.

The base was built around WW I when there was absolutely nothing around.

Almost a hundred years later, when houses began to encroach on the airfield, there have been constant complaints about the noise.

And those complaints continue even though the base has been largely decommissioned and is now a reserve base.

• Like 2

All I'll say is Blue Ridge Rock Festival 2023 at Virginia International Raceway.

Those VIR knuckleheads need to stick to racing and stay away from trying to host rock festivals. They've really antagonized long-time local residents and businesses with that thing but they're so arrogant the 2024 edition is in the works.

I'm two miles from VIR but normal track activities aren't that bothersome. Depending on weather conditions I can hear the cars on the main and go-kart tracks, the gun range, sometimes even the military training that goes on there. Even the big Hyperfest drifting event that draws 20k attendees isn't horrible except for the nightly after-parties that are sometimes loud enough they sound like they're in my back yard.

But that rock fest...  google it.

• Haha 1

Farms, airports, gun clubs, race tracks.  All subject to the same when a certain element moves in and decides it's a bit inconvenient.  

"Oh, what a quaint farm.  I love the views but...what's that smell dear?"  Happening regularly here and so unfortunate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

There was a lot of empty land adjacent to our counties very large landfill. Developers bought it up for next to nothing and built a ton of houses. Guess what the first thing the new occupants complained about? Yes the stench!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

In northern Virginia it is different, as the land prices are so high the racetrack moved because it was money in the bank to sell the northern Virginia location and build another new track south of Fredericksburg!😉

In another vein, a large farm that also had a distillery on it in northern Virginia saw dollar signs and sold the farm, it became the town of Reston, at the new Dulles Airport! OK, that was years ago. The distillery is now here in Fredericksburg in an industrial park. Free samples with a tour. Several car clubs I am in have taken the tour.

In Henrico county million dollar homes were built ON the dump that I contributed to for years. 😃  

So, dollars win. Keep dollars flowing into  Laguna Seca!

Remember, racetracks were built on cheap land at the time. Then the population expands, so more housing is needed, houses are built where there are jobs (jobs=money). Buyers have no clue what is around the house they are buying! Then they complain. Even if it was put in the deed, who reads those? Buyer beware is lost on real estate transactions from what I have seen. 🤣

• Like 5

Buyers do know these days of what area they are buying into. For example, you buy into an area that has an airport designated General Aviation. The city, after decades gone by want to expand and the airport, is rezoned commercial aviation with lots of money pouring in. Just try to fight that.

The Auto Club Speedway east of Los Angeles is closing and a big portion will turn into housing. It's a huge facility that has been on the NASCAR schedule since the 90's. I went to a vintage race there about 2008, very funny to see Austin Healy Sprites wide open on a super oval! The rise in real estate prices has been killing rqce tracks for a long time. Here's an early victim: It was very successful yet only operated for four years. The problem was it's location along Wilshire Blvd in an undeveloped area known as Beverly Hills!

IMG_4895.jpg.4221b3653e9bc2a2093d97a5dd523ae8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 1/19/2024 at 7:59 PM, rocketraider said:

All I'll say is Blue Ridge Rock Festival 2023 at Virginia International Raceway.

Those VIR knuckleheads need to stick to racing and stay away from trying to host rock festivals. They've really antagonized long-time local residents and businesses with that thing but they're so arrogant the 2024 edition is in the works.

I'm two miles from VIR but normal track activities aren't that bothersome. Depending on weather conditions I can hear the cars on the main and go-kart tracks, the gun range, sometimes even the military training that goes on there. Even the big Hyperfest drifting event that draws 20k attendees isn't horrible except for the nightly after-parties that are sometimes loud enough they sound like they're in my back yard.

But that rock fest... 

One of my favorite tracks, also for NASCAR Road racers practice.  Felt like we were way out in the country.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
spilling (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Farms, airports, gun clubs, race tracks.  All subject to the same when a certain element moves in and decides it's a bit inconvenient.  

"Oh, what a quaint farm.  I love the views but...what's that smell dear?"  Happening regularly here and so unfortunate.

We have had that here in Adelaide's northern suburbs. A developer sold off a whole new area right between a sewerage treatment works and the Air Force base. Of course, the new owners wanted the base closed and the treatment works moved. 

I bought a place in a country town with a speedway and a rail line not that far away from me - before signing the contract I sat there with a few beers and a pizza on speedway night and decided that the noise it and the passing trains made was tolerable. It only took a few weeks after moving in where I ceased to notice them.

The world is full of cry babies who want it all their own way despite no "due diligence" on their part.

Steve

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

One of my favorite tracks, also for NASCAR Road racers practice.  Felt like we were way out in the country.

That's because you ARE way out in the country! Twenty miles to any town in any direction! Unless you count the Village of Milton...😄

• Like 2

perhaps I should file against the BNSF railroad for having railroad tracks in my neighborhood. too noisy. it's only the main line for BNSF between LA  and Chicago.

(a main line track going through here since the 1880s.)

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Fordy said:

The world is full of cry babies…

… and …

On 1/19/2024 at 10:11 AM, 7th Son said:

… Karens.

Exactly.

Like I said, nothing new or race track specific and there are plenty of both everywhere, including this forum.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mrspeedyt said:

perhaps I should file against the BNSF railroad for having railroad tracks in my neighborhood. too noisy. it's only the main line for BNSF between LA  and Chicago.

(a main line track going through here since the 1880s.)

Good luck.

Just make sure to have enough $$s (& political clout) in reserve to see it through. 😉

• Like 2

On 1/19/2024 at 2:23 PM, JACK M said:

New guys to the neighborhood that want to change it to their selfish desires.

I can understand a curfew, but that's about it.

We used to shoot into an abandoned quarry carved out of the bluffs along the Missouri River. It was a well known makeshift range for decades (generations, actually.) It was open to the public (for all practical purposes) until greedy realtors started selling properties adjacent to the quarry to genius wealthy folks who wanted stylish homes in the hills. The shooters didn't own the quarry, so they had little reason to argue, but it was obvious that the new homeowners hadn't been informed about the history of their new area.

• Like 2

Are any of these tracks old enough to receive "Landmark" status? Some states have programs to protect, preserve, and even expand on sites that are of local significance.

• Like 2

The process to declare something an historical landmark is full of political bias so no matter how significant the place is, politics will always win in the end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/19/2024 at 1:41 PM, Grimy said:

You can’t fix stupid!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, zepher said:

The process to declare something an historical landmark is full of political bias so no matter how significant the place is, politics will always win in the end.

And let's not forget the mighty "$" which is and has always been as able, if not more so, to influence outcomes, including any regarding freedoms, justice and/or "politics".

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, TTR said:

And let's not forget the mighty "$" which is and has always been as able, if not more so, to influence outcomes, including any regarding freedoms, justice and/or "politics".

Politics runs on $ so that is pretty much a given.

• Like 2

As the discussion has gone , referring to how do you fix stupid, not sure ,  for instance Water here in California is political, as we say here, water flows uphill towards money.

seriously I wish we could find a way to protect some of our history and as most of you are doing that, collecting, restoring, showing and driving our collectables, 

I think those of us in the hobby over the age of fifty will still have our hobby for the rest of our lives, i worry a lot about our small group of younger people, will they be content walking out to their garage and just looking at their cars, makes me sad thinking about it,

• Like 3

On 1/19/2024 at 5:59 PM, rocketraider said:

But that rock fest...  google it.

I do know certain rockfests can ruing things with their loudness, excess rowdiness and huge clean-up efforts, but they one of the few things that are popular with the younger crowds en masse.  These raceways are a business, and not a charity, and depend on cash flow to generate revenue to pay taxes and utilities and remain open for they were intended for: auto racing.   Racetracks do tick all the boxes for a rockfest in the way of ample room, large open space, and a place to park and pitch a tent, all on private property.  

I'd like to think residents are able to tolerate ONE evening a year for a little noise and nonsense!!

Craig

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

I'd like to think residents are able to tolerate ONE evening a year for a little noise and nonsense!!

Craig

Agree in principal but given the state of popular "rock" today, I might side with the residents on this one.😉

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Agree in principal but given the state of popular "rock" today, I might side with the residents on this one.😉

Agreed.

If you look at the disturbing bands that play those types of shows their motto is "horns up" meaning they are true blue devil worshipping brainless twits with dark hearts. 

IF it was actual music that brought people together then I'm sure most wouldn't have an issue with it. I don't know too many normal folk that like to listen to hate screams for 3 hours plus... and I'd damn sure do anything I could to sway my kids or grand kids away if they went down that road. Absolute garbage

image.png.7aff3b0608771af5b6f432769f1e019e.png

I say leave it for family oriented only venues and to hell with the death revenue.

RIP Manzanita Raceway...

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Pffft. Remember all the pearl-clutching that went on when Elvis was on the Ed Sullivan show and--gasp--danced by moving his hips?

Your kids' music is DESIGNED to piss you off. Always has been.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5