Your old car will look GREAT with a digital plate!

Crusty Trucker

"Reviver's digital license plates cost as little as $19.95 per month, or about $960 for four years, according to the company. Installation fees are $99. "

No thanks, for that price I'll keep my $2.91 per month, or $140 for four years metal plate.:)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Erska said:

Yet another techie solution to a non-existent problem.  

Exactly!

Someone is always trying to improve something

that doesn't need improvement.  That thought is

perhaps what created powered head-rests and

motors that pull down the final inch of trunk lids.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'm sorry, I know hating everything new and electronic is the expected default but I think it's awesome. Especially if they light up at. 

The only drawback I see is collecting them...that may prove a bit of a problem.

• Haha 2

Your missing the really big question………did they make a 6 volt positive ground unit available? If not, I would sue for age discrimination.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

I’m willing to bet that shortly after introduction the state will find a way to put some kind of advertising on them that will show, likely, when the car is stopped or parked. So we get to pay for the plate and registration fees but we also will get to generate additional income for the state.

Edited by Max4Me (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If they are digital, they should be able to match the patina. Many states already have a bit of advertising on their plates, even if just for that state. 

• Like 2

I think the idea of them is pretty neat in a forward thinking kind of way. BUT, dont we have enough electronic stuff (I put that mildly) already? Personally there is a reason I like antique cars and no electronics is one of them. I was just looking at a guys new f150 lightning (all electric). It was an incredible vehicle, had all the bells and whistles. My first thought was what is going to happen in 10-15 years when things start going wonky, and I know they will.  I have a 2003 Mercedes that has a strong running motor, car is still very sound but the electronic stuff crapped out. The repair is cost prohibitive compared to the value of the vehicle. Its in my barn collecting more dust every month (I hope that will add to the future value, LOL). My 'new' vehicle is a 2013 f150. It has decided to tell me the rear door is open with a big red light on the dash. Unbeknownst to the Ford the door is closed tightly!

• Like 2

I like the old cars for their simplicity, give me a screwdriver, piece of sandpaper, and a gallon of gas and can get most pre-war cars running.

Electronics can kill the pleasure of owning a newer car, a lot of features are added just because they can be done, not because theyreally help the driver…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if you get in a crash with an all electric car and one of the main battery cables broke touching metal could you get shocked if you touch the metal? Are there enough amps/volts in the batteries to do that? 
dave s 

These plates are not for me either, and vanity plates were never my thing either, but why begrudge those who would want them? They obviously are going used on a new car. it has little or no impact on me at all. 

On 10/15/2022 at 2:20 AM, Billy Kingsley said:

I'm sorry, I know hating everything new and electronic is the expected default but I think it's awesome. Especially if they light up at. 

The only drawback I see is collecting them...that may prove a bit of a problem.

Billy summed it up best as one of the younger members on the site, just because it is "new" or "electronic" or we "don't understand" we tend to automatically hate it. Then 10 threads from now we will ask why we can't attract younger people into the hobby.  It is sad when that has become his observation of us!   

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, SC38dls said:

I wonder if you get in a crash with an all electric car and one of the main battery cables broke touching metal could you get shocked if you touch the metal? Are there enough amps/volts in the batteries to do that? 

1. There is already a source of enough amps to kill you in your car. Lucky, the voltage is low so it would have to be connected under your skin. It only takes .010 amps (10 milliamps) or so through the heart to cause serious issues.

2. A path needs to be to allow current to flow. A continuous circuit. If you sit on a 500 Kilovolt transmission line, you will be fine, as there is no path for current to flow, your entire body is at one voltage. Just touching the metal of the car will not be an issue.

3. Therefore for the 300 volt or so battery to kill you, you need to be touching both the + and - of the battery at the same time. And then, yes, you  will have a bad shock, burn or fatality.

People who work on these electric vehicles are aware of the danger and typically take precautions. Just like an electrician working on 480 VAC circuits takes precautions. The real difference is a battery is always live. Same with a solar panel in the sun. People who drive electric cars, operate industrial motors and have solar panels on their roof do not normally have worries about electrocution.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

It isn't the voltage that kills. It is the current. A six volt 90 amp car battery is more likely to kill than is a twelve volt 50 amp car battery.

Secondary (high) voltage to your spark plugs is somewhere around four to ten thousand volts, however, the amperage is minimal and the duration (for each pulse!) is in the milliseconds.

And Frank DV is right. One could sit on a major high voltage and high current power line, and not be harmed. As long as there is no pathway through your body to ground. If you can figure out a safe way to get there. Do NOT get  between that same power line and the steel tower it is hung from. A "capacitive" discharge by inserting your body in the field between the power line and the tower also can kill!

Electricity is funny stuff.

• Thanks 2

So, the supposedly most eco friendly state in the union has figured out yet another way to add to the enormous amount of e-waste that is generated every year.

Not only are they e-waste that contains harmful chemicals but some also contain small batteries that add to the e-waste problem.

And let's not forget that ultimately this is just another money grab for the state with the highest taxes in the nation.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Plate must go blank when car is off. Or battery would go dead over time. Lots of problems  when trying to ID a parked car.

Plate stays legible when vehicle is off.

Uses the same type of screen that some e-readers do where it only takes power to draw the screen but no power to retain the image.

But there must be some type of small current draw at all times if the plate can automatically change the date for the registration and change messages at the bottom of the plate.
One of my sisters has one of these plates and the message under the plate number changes from time to time.

2 hours ago, zepher said:

Plate stays legible when vehicle is off.

Uses the same type of screen that some e-readers do where it only takes power to draw the screen but no power to retain the image.

But there must be some type of small current draw at all times if the plate can automatically change the date for the registration and change messages at the bottom of the plate.
One of my sisters has one of these plates and the message under the plate number changes from time to time.

Who controls the message change? Will duct tape stick to it?

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

I will save you the effort of clicking on the link at the beginning of this topic and reading the first paragraph: “and give users the option to change the plate's background color by toggling between a light or dark mode. Motorists can also personalize a banner message on the plate.”

I strongly suspect that there is or will shortly be some controls about the words used in a personalized banner.

I am not sure why you’d consider duct tape. . . If you spend the huge amount of optional dollars for the ability to have a personalized banner then why would you then duct tape over it? If you don’t want personalized banners then just go with the much cheaper standard plate.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

According to the article, there is an app available for your phone that can change the messages and manage your 'subscription'.

How about with the engine off, and the key in the accessory position. The license plate acts like a reader board. Not only giving you problems with engine codes. But also explains the engine code. So you know what is wrong with your car. The code “URPL8NOWRK” means the plate needs to be replaced.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Next they will be able to tell if you crashed and the plate got broken or a camera will be in it to make sure you don’t kick it in. Then of course they will be able to monitor your speed and disable the car so they can issue the speeding ticket along with a ticket for stopping on the highway illegally. I’m sure we will be seeing bar codes so no one will be able to read the plates and then the personalized bar codes will cost a lot more and you will need a special device on your windshield to read them.  If the bar code comes in they will be able to tax you more based on the miles you drive. They will be able to tell if you don’t drive it enough also so they can charge you a minimum road tax. George Orwell had no idea all of this was going to be possible when he wrote his futuristic book in 1949 or he would have had a much thicker book and a lot more interesting one. 
dave s 

ps- have I gone off the deep end? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SC38dls said:

ps- have I gone off the deep end? 

Not yet but your getting close Dave, your forgetting that those who have this plates are paying for this service, look at it as personalized plates for this generation, no more no less.

2 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

Wait until some young punk's realize that by punching or kicking the plate will render it useless.

Why would anyone even think of that? Just to even think of that is messed up  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Just the idea of an attached number plate digital or otherwise is primitive.

Take a look at the monitoring capabilities of OBD3.

https://straighttalkautomotive.com/articles/have-you-heard-of- obd-iii.html

That is some serious govt overreach, Big Brother kind of stuff.
They want to be able to read codes on your vehicle remotely and pull you over and issue you a citation for having the MIL on in your car.

John, the reason I brought that up was because a few years back, the big thing for kids in my area was to bend up license plates that weren't secured in all 4 corners. Just stupid kid pranks I guess.

• Like 1