Old age Rot

dodge28

I have a problem . I am 86 years old and fairly mobile . I waited 6 to 8 months for a set of white wall tyres,tubes and flaps. During the wait time I could not do any work because I needed to drive the car out of the garage into the driveway to do sanding, (using water and  sand paper so as not to flood the garage floor). Now that the tyres are on I lost all interest  for work. Lethargic.

Is it a disease of the mind ? I think I need some help. Any one out there ? Thank you 

At 86, you need no excuses.  What you might need is encouraging inputs.  So my input, pick a task to complete.  It doesn’t have to be the complete restoration but find the task and give yourself a self imposed date to complete it.  I find I need something like this to stay focused on a task especially when it’s too easy to say “I’ll do that tomorrow “.

Good luck and post a pic or two of your project.

• Like 4

The same thing happens to most of us at one time or another. Enthusiasm winds down and it can be difficult to get back to work on our project. First of all, take care of yourself physically, I don't have to tell you this, but sometimes we can get in over our head. You've got twenty years on me, so I take that as a good sign, hopefully I'll be turning wrenches for another couple of decades! Why don't you share some pictures of your project here? I'm sure that you'll find a lot of interest and encouragement. One thing that is on your side is that there isn't anyone forcing a deadline on you, you can work at your own pace. I told my Wife that since I've retired you'd never get another eight hour shift out of me again! Working on these projects can get kind of lonely, especially if you don't have some buddies to share the experience with.  This forum can help you feel that you are a part of this community. Best wishes and keep on keeping on!

Edited by Rivguy
I must learn to proof read. (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I'll take some flak over this, but:

Find a 15 year-old neighborhood youngster who is seemingly reliable, and allow him to help you.

Show him how. Once the car is drivable, take him for rides.

Once he is old enough to obtain a license; teach him how to drive the car, and allow him to do so, with you as a passenger.

Jon.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

There are at least four things that can stall out a project. Lack of money, time, energy or interest. Lack of interest is the hardest to overcome in my opinion. As has been mentioned already having buddies to share the project with is a great motivator. If you don't have someone to work with in person, this forum is a great place to share progress, ideas and to ask questions. It's almost as good as having pals there in person.

At 86 I think it's great that you're active. I also think Jon has a great idea in mentoring a youngster if that's a possibility.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For me the problem has always been my family. They are a thoroughly screwed up bunch, needy, demanding, expensive and very complicated. Until recent years, what got me through it were the half dozen or more restorations I basically completed by spending ONE HOUR, nearly EVERY DAY working on them. Those single hours didn't cheat anyone out of anything! And they kept me involved, and feeling that I did accomplish something. I also usually had a car I could drive and enjoy or tour with from time to time.

A similar idea could work for you? Set yourself a rough time to begin, and spend that one hour. The chosen task can vary based upon how you feel. I often have what I refer to as "basket weaving" projects. Things I really would like to use on one of my cars, but are in terrible condition, and not really necessary to getting it running. Currently, I am working on the much more rare early 1915 fenders for my early 1915 model T runabout. I have the more common later 1915 fenders, I had restored them several  years ago before I found the rare early ones. If I were to finish a few things needed before running the car? I could use the later 1915 fenders, in fact two of them are already installed and ready for driving! But I want the earlier ones. Things have been extremely stressful lately. So I need the distraction, and working on something I want but do not really need seems to work for me. I have a couple nice accessory steering wheels for model Ts hanging in the garage that I restored a few years ago when I needed a distraction.

I find a special satisfaction in bringing desirable parts back from the brink of returning to the soil. But that is me.

You need to find what works for you in the short term. Whether it is bodywork or mechanics? Even fixing up the interior? I find occasionally changing priorities helps. But that ONE HOUR per DAY is the key. Not enough to really hurt, and the accomplishments though maybe small add up. Before long, the car looks better, and you will likely feel better about it.

Regardless, ENJOY what you do! You have earned that right.

• Like 4

If I were close by I would be helping you. I often find myself in the same doldrums. Sometimes it helps to have a partner in crime. The part above about finding a younger kid with interest is a great idea.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

TerryB I understand where coming from.  I'm 66 just had neck fusion and cancer  surgery this is how I came with my 1929 graham Paige.  Before and after pics.  I did have some help from my son while he was here for 4 months.  The reward I got was when I drove the street and saw the look on everybody's face.  It felt good to bring this car back to life after do many years.  My email is gary.rew@gmail.com, let me know what you think.

20210917_124451.jpg

20210917_124510.jpg

Edited by Gary56
Missed info (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I tend to drift from one project to another. I'll go through weeks where I really want to work on the car, but other weeks I want to play with my old lawn mower, or do some little carpentry project, or tinker on an old radio, or maybe just take some long walks. Sometimes, though, there is that one project that sits and sits because I can no longer find the spark for it. As others have already said, that's a tough place to be. I've found that talking to friends about the project, or reading about restorations that others have done, will help motivate me. 

There are folks out there, in your neighborhood, who would love to lend a hand. Maybe you just haven't met them yet? 

14 hours ago, dodge28 said:

I have a problem . I am 86 years old and fairly mobile . I waited 6 to 8 months for a set of white wall tyres,tubes and flaps. During the wait time I could not do any work because I needed to drive the car out of the garage into the driveway to do sanding, (using water and  sand paper so as not to flood the garage floor). Now that the tyres are on I lost all interest  for work. Lethargic.

Is it a disease of the mind ? I think I need some help. Any one out there ? Thank you 

Where are you located?  UK?

I am same age. Yeah, more difficult to get started these days. 

Ben

At 82, I find myself slow to get started on my projects.

What I do is, go out to the garage and decide to spend about 5 minutes on something. Before I know it, many hours have gone by and I have accomplished something.

grampsv2.gif

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I would start out with one task on your vehicle the first day, then come back into house and post your results on this forum, and repeat same cycle the next day and so on, that will get you fired up with responses from us plus completing the items on your vehicle.

Bob

• Like 2

he trouble with the aged of today is that they expect things instantly. They get distracted and don't finish things. Many sit in front of a computer just pushing buttons on the keyboard and reading old car forums.

• Like 3
  • Haha 13

I'm ten years your junior. Restoring a car is not for sissies. Many start what they can't finish, which I believe is worse than not starting at all. Regardless of what part of the life faze we find ourselves, the process is the same. For me the following has helped me. But I wish I could say that I have always followed my own advice...

1) Evaluate your car and decide what you want it to be.

2) Decide if your resources will match what you want to achieve (not just financial, but skill level and time).

3) Pick your battels. Realizing that few people are going to be able to do everything themselves, get help when you need it. Sometimes the help we need is at the beginning of the process. I believe that this is where you are today.

4) Don't be afraid to adjust your expectations. Only the best restorer is going to be able to overcome all the problems involved.

Good luck, remember most of us have been where you are, sometimes more then once! 

• Like 3

My grandpa and I worked through when he was 88 on the 21 Chevy I own. Of course he was from a much earlier generation (born in 1916). 86 is not what 86 was back then. Norman Lear is 100, Mel Brooks in his late 90s, Dick Van Dyke is in his late 90s, William Shatner is 91. These and so many others are highly active.

I’m a half century younger than you. My interest in cars ebbs and tides. I’ve had really bad spots in my life where I’m so drained I don’t have any time or energy to give the cars. But I always come back, it’s a passion! 

Don’t do anything on a whim your interest will come back. Its when you refuse to spend a dime more on it and this goes on then it’s time to sell it.

I would also go see a Doctor too. My grandmother at 82 became lethargic, tired, etc. it turned out she had congestive heart failure! Thankfully they gave her meds and she lived another decade thanks to catching it quick. 

• Like 1

At 72 I find that my spirit is fairly willing but my body's desire to deteriorate early slows me down a lot.  Takes a lot of effort to complete any major task. I am glad I got all of the difficult work on my 52 Plymouth done a long time ago because in realty doing it now would never happen.

• Like 1

I'm 72 and have a 48 Desoto that needs finishing.  For years I looked for a teenager to help with it, but found no one.  Then I found the perfect guy.  He is a friend of mine from the old phonograph and record hobby.  He's in his 40s and is not a mechanic, but he learns fast.  I offered him $25 an hour to help me two to four days a week and that has made all the difference.  We even removed the body from the chassis!  He does all the sanding and bondo work.  I'm working on getting the engine started.  It will be started in the next week or two.  Then we will put the body back on.  And then we will install the wiring harness and paint the body.  Then install the glass, and drive it to an upholsterer for the finish work.  Easy, no.  Hard work, but gratifying.  

• Like 5

This thread is showing that we are all as different physically as we are with likes and dislikes. I was/am fortunate in that I was able to work until age 72.  Moving folks across country.  I THEN started and finished my first and only old car. In under two years.  Now pushing 86, I find myself , as OP, not as frisky, emotionally nor physically.  Probably as it should be.

Carry on the best you can!

Ben

• Like 5

This thread is cool to follow, showing I am no different than most on this forum, as sometimes I second guess myself as why I do what I am doing because of my age, but working on cars, lawnmowers, snow blowers is what I need to do to keep my mind and body active, it is like oxygen needed to breathe for me, I need the oxygen and the cars to keep me alive, but my wife says stop working and talking about cars you don't need it YES I do need them.

Bob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I will be 74 in September and I am the tech advisor for the Buick Club 1991-1996 Roadmasters. A couple of weeks ago I got a call from a member with a '94 that was having fuel delivery problems after storage. We did our best to diagnose over the phone and he had a mechanic he had met in a parts store that was helping.

I got a follow up call and they had dropped the tank, changed the pump, had some sort of internal engine explosion, and still not going well. He told me he had been so busy with the car that he had forgotten to take himself out for dinner on his 87th birthday! Hell of a nice guy and I told him I was proud of him. I hope to follow in his path.

I look at aging as a balance of attitude, genetics, and diet. And that combination in ancestry can affect a person today after a couple of hundred years.

I had a stroke and heat attack 10 years ago and was lucky enough to make a full recovery and a radical lifestyle change. A few months ago my Navy ship was added to eligibility for Agent Orange claims. I asked my "car guy" doctor if anything could be construed to cash in on that. He laughed and said I didn't have anything wrong enough.

Attitude- life is too important to take seriously. Serious people think in a formulaic manner. They start having expectations. You get 60 or 70 years of unmet expectations and that adds up to some pretty sour disappointment. Back in the middle ages some would say an old man died because he was full of "black bile". I understand that one.

Ancestry- both sides of my family go back to Ireland. One side were purged to Guernsey Island before the US. They were the short mean stereotypes. Drank a lot too. Did I mention mean. The other side was "lace doily" bred. Well fed, even a couple basket ball players for their height. Much better disposition ed. That's the group I followed.

Genetics- I get in trouble on this one and I am smiling now. There is still a lot of genetic damage out they left from the European famine caused by the Napoleonic wars. I have seen it on a pretty steady basis. There are other examples but dealing with cars that group dominates.

Diet- I have a sign hanging in my garage that I took from the wall of a stall at a car auction house. It has a picture of a goat and says "It's OK to eat in the bathroom but please don't put the plastic silverware or plates in the toilet".

If you read this far you might understand why my wife said people were not put on this earth purely for your entertainment. BUT I don't feel lethargic.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

This thread is showing that we are all as different physically as we are with likes and dislikes. I was/am fortunate in that I was able to work until age 72.  Moving folks across country.  I THEN started and finished my first and only old car. In under two years.  Now pushing 86, I find myself , as OP, not as frisky, emotionally nor physically.  Probably as it should be.

Carry on the best you can!

Ben

I sat here wondering how surreal it would have been, waiting until I retired to do my first old car workup. At the time that I was winding down, contemplating how I was going to participate in the hobby, and which cars were going to take center stage, Ben was just getting started. I finally decided that the concept was so alien to what I had been doing for the previous sixty years, that it was near impossible to put the concept into it's proper perspective. It just shows how diverse our enjoyment of our hobby can be. 

May we all have many more years to enjoy the hobby we love!

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am 73 and relate quite well to many comments on this thread. I have worked on cars nonstop since age 15 and currently have two hobby cars plus an Ebay business buying and selling Automobilia. I am in generally good health but I have noticed a decline in my ability to do the more physically heavy car work since my late 60s. I am just as interested in the research and the work as always but the reality of putting the car up on stands and working on my back takes a lot more preplanning and recovery time. If any of you followed my 66 Dodge Monaco "Our cars and Restorations" thread I recently finished a lengthy full brake job project which wound up including rear axle bearing and suspension work and had many detours due to today's reality of getting parts and services for an old car. I became quite depressed in the middle of that project due to all the unforseen problems but posting here and on other forums I found a lot of kindred spirits and useful suggestions that kept me going to the successful end. One big two part lesson I learned is that my mostly sedentary Covid era lifestyle made getting back to car work quite difficult and painful at the beginning. By the time I was done my muscles had relearned the stresses of the work and I felt much better, I now exercise regularly and walk much more with continued good results. The second part of the lesson had to do with my mental attitude which had also become sedentary. I reacted badly to the problems and surprises that popped up thinking that I had forgotten car related things I used to take for granted. About half way through the project I realized that the last full brake job I had done was a full 10 years ago. I stopped beating myself up, increased my research and was able to figure it all out with less drama. I plan to continue my car work as long as I can because it still is one of the most fulfilling things in my life 

20220402_151428.jpg

Edited by TexRiv_63 (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Take an inventory of your life's goals.  Old cars are just such a time consuming hobby.  If it's time to "shift gears" then just move fwd, to other things you want to accomplish, more, than fixing that old car, while you still have the energy.

After having to change 2 blown out tires on the side of Canada's busiest highway last week (my fault entirely by not having a long sitting car flatbedded home the 400 klms) made me realize how stupid and risky my judgement calls can be. One blew out, spare was flat, brother came and helped with compressor. Got underway and the next one blew a few minutes later. Try finding a 14 inch tire these days! Two hours later we got a tire and were back on the road.

I've never been more pis*ed at myself for neglecting  such obvious pre-trip inspections. Mostly because I have gotten away with such stuff for over 50 years. It's been a week and I'm still sore!

canday22 190.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

Nice looking Buick! 👍

Thanks! It's a 10 footer at best. But has a very strong 455 with some stuff done. Don't know the H.P. rating, but the 500+ lbs/ft torque rating is why those rear 14 inch tires blew up!

canday22 185.jpg

2 hours ago, pkhammer said:

So, the tires weren't old a dry-rotted as I first assumed. You just couldn't help yourself and had to enjoy some smoky burnouts on the way home! 😁

It was a combination of old dry tires and me doing a few long smokie's a few weeks prior to the trip.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

Don't know the H.P. rating, but the 500+ lbs/ft torque rating is why those rear 14 inch tires blew up!

Most cars I have owned had a device that allowed you to vary the amount of horsepower and torque applied to the rear tires.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Most cars I have owned had a device that allowed you to vary the amount of horsepower and torque applied to the rear tires.

I would have been negligent in my age group to NOT do a big burnout after bringing it off an island in the St. Lawrence /Thousand Islands and driving it for 45 minutes across the county side roads, then finally approaching the destination after crossing a multi track RR  stopping, then letttin it rip. My right foot device was barely at a crawl almost all the way back. It had a momentary lapse of reason.

19 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

I would have been negligent in my age group to NOT do a big burnout after bringing it off an island in the St. Lawrence /Thousand Islands and driving it for 45 minutes across the county side roads, then finally approaching the destination after crossing a multi track RR  stopping, then letttin it rip. My right foot device was barely at a crawl almost all the way back. It had a momentary lapse of reason.

Sounds like Howe Island or Wolfe Island...I went to school in Kingston and can't remember how many times the radio reported that the Howe Island ferry was cancelled in the winter