1957 Chevrolet - HOT or HO-HUM

I originally wrote this as a comment to a "cars for sale - not mine" post for a more or less original 1957 Chevy Bel Air Sedan (remembering that cars manufactured in 1957 are already 65 years old). But, the more I thought about it, the more I wondered how many other forum members feel the same way I do. Am I unique in my thinking? Just an old codger muddling along? Or do some like minded folks exist out there and share my viewpoint? Read along if you have a moment and let me know if I'm off base here or have a support group around the country.

"With all due respect and admiration for all those who own and love tri-five Chevys, I find that I have no real interest in these cars anymore. I grew up owning/driving/racing a myriad of tri-fives from 150 business coupes, sedan deliveries, Nomads, Sport Coupes, etc, etc.

As we know, every part of '57 convertibles, and maybe other models, are now available new, off the shelf. so that if one were so inclined, a totally new '57 Chevy could be constructed. And for those with the time/talent/money, that's OK.

My point here is that they have become so ubiquitous like Model A's and early Mustangs that that they cease to stir up my interest in the slightest. I find myself paying no attention to them at shows, cruises or museums, which is a sad fact, knowing the time, effort and expense the owners expend to maintain and display these cars.

Am I unique in my thinking? Do others share this point of view? Is it a factor of age?

Well, I'm 80 and still playing with cars...still driving...still in very good health...still very active and interested in people, politics, and the things of this world. I maintain my 10 acre farm, my home and my little collection of '50's and '60's (American) cars and trucks. But I'm very apathetic to the "same 'ol - same 'ol" thing. Lead me to a Studebaker, an Olds convertible, a Mercury, a Buick Wildcat, or an AMC and watch my ears perk up. They don't have to be in blue ribbon condition - just presentable drivers and something you don't see at every event.

Do I have any brothers out there? Please comment. I'd like to know your viewpoint, pro or con. Thanks for reading this."

1957-chevrolet-assembly_600.jpg?v=1634290296.087

Edited by Crusty Trucker
punctuation edit (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

HI CRUSTY TRUCKER

you basically mirror my thoughts 

maybe an age thing but i love my little collection of cars

even though it a nightmare at times to get parts especially here in the uk

some cars are so popular you can buy reproduced parts for virtually everything

where's the fun in that and what left of the originality of the car

JOHN

Where to draw the line between experienced and jaded? Even though I have essentially the same opinion as Crusty Trucker, I see little plus side to voicing it. Those new to the hobby may have an appreciation limited to '57 Chevies and early Mustangs. Okay, I figure, they need time for their automotive sensibilities to evolve. At a much younger age, I was enthralled with the '55 - '57 T'birds, but over time they became a little too ubiquitous for me to really appreciate anymore. I don't want to come off as condescending to newbies. I'd rather engage and see if they can come around to my point of view and develop a wider appreciation, even while they are drooling over Mustangs and ignoring my Shoebox. Remember there are always people out there who think your taste is too common for their taste.

4 hours ago, Crusty Trucker said:

...tri-five Chevys, I find that I have no real interest in these cars anymore.

I think your thoughts are shared by many.  While cars

of all ages are interesting parts of history, at the activities

of our large AACA region, 1960's cars are now seen most.

And Hagerty, whose insurance business sees many, many

cars and gathers statistics, wrote in 2017:

"Generally speaking, 1950's cars haven't been performing

all that well in the market, and that includes what might be the

most recognizable '50's cars of them all--the 1955-57 Bel Airs.

Younger buyers aren't expressing much interest in these cars,

so as owners exit the market, demand continues weakening.

Right now, Bel Airs lag behind the rest of the market in most

measures, although prices have remained strong on the

private market."

If prices do weaken, maybe it's time to buy a 1950's car.  The 

hobby is enjoyable regardless of what happens to be popular

at the time.

• Like 3

I am a tri five fan, mentioned here before that my biggest automotive blunder was swapping my restored 56 210 for a vette way back when..

Not sure on trends as I haven't seen prices wane on these, they may be common but remain popular.

I like unusual cars as well, but popular cars are usually popular for a reason.  My own opinion on the tri fives is they capture that era without being overdone, and they are the first sbc cars.  I bet no one knew then how wildly successful that engine would become.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I could take or leave them. I have a very good friend that built a resto modded (out of less than a parts car) 57 that is absolutely beautiful. I appreciate them for what they are, but have no desire to go on the hunt to buy one. As far as walking past at a show, I look at most cars if someone takes the time to take it to a show. The ones I bypass are any mustang made after about 1980, new challengers and new camaros. I was born in 1964 and the tri fives were popular growing up and a much coveted hot rod. I always wanted and preferred a '55 over the '57. There was a girl in hs that drove a '57 as well as our gym teacher had one as a daily driver.

• Like 1

As with many corners of the hobby, the people who love the Tri-Five Chevys are aging out and there aren't equally passionate enthusiasts stepping up to take their place. Looking back, I now see that as a normal cycle in the hobby and that as a general rule, enthusiasts are drawn the cars of their youth or cars to which they have some personal connection (for instance, their father owned one when they were young). All the people to whom a '57 Chevy was the hot car to own are now pretty elderly and people my age (50) don't really have much connection to the cars and therefore the desire to own one isn't there. I guess I appreciate a well done Tri-Five Chevy and my personal favorites are the '56s, but I don't particularly care to own one. They don't check any of the boxes that I want in a hobby car. Nice cars, but I have no connection to them. My 84-year-old father's first new car was a '63 Bel Air and throughout my youth he drove new 1970s Cadillacs. A 1957 Chevy was always just kind of in the distance and had no personal relevance.

As a result of all this, I'm seeing values going down pretty steadily. It's not a "crash" where the cars plummeted overnight, but 10-15 years ago, almost any restored '57 Bel Air convertible was a 6-figure car. Today nice ones can be bought for $60-80,000. That's a 30-40% drop in 10 years. The "crash" is happening, it's just happening in slow motion. Sure, there are outliers and auction anomalies bringing big money, but in general the Tri-Fives have taken a pretty big hit simply because there are fewer people seeking them out and the people for whom these cars strike a personal chord are holding or selling, not buying.

It happens consistently across all bands of the  hobby. No reason it shouldn't happen to popular cars as well as obscure ones.

• Like 7

I agree with keithb7. When I was much younger I owned a '57 210 2door sedan and later a very nice '55 Bel Air 2 dr ht.To me,those were the only cars to me.As I got older,they appealed to me less and less,but I still admired them.I like to look at any type of cars,up until the early '70s. I have no interest in mid '70s and newer. I am mainly interested in '50s and '60s cars because that's what I grew up with. I'm 70,by the way.

• Like 1

@Matt Harwood that's good information.  Maybe I haven't seen it as I look at the two door ht and sedans, occasionally sport sedans and wagons.  Given lower prices in general vs. Nomad, convertible a decline may be harder to notice.  I would go stock or close to stock, although the resto mods seem to ask a lot, no idea iif they ultimately command those prices.

BTW, you have one of the nicest "plain jane" Mustangs I have seen in a long time on your site now.  So not rare, ok but I bet it would stand out at most shows with Mustang fans at least.  A good example of quality justifying price.

I am thinking lately about very high quality vs. Rarity with next car, it definately won't be a project.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

In many respects, cars as they age are like baseball cards. Sooner or later the "commons" are so plentiful they plateau at a "supply/demand" spot low enough to allow many to enter the collector card market and enjoy the hobby inexpensively. However the "MVP's, Elite players, Stars, HOFer's, and rare real oldies", perhaps less than 1% of the players, maintain their exclusivity, and typically only increase in value. I see Tri-5's and Mustangs and such in the same category, as well as most pre-war sedans, etc. All "common" cars, are collectible but not highly sought after. The cars that will always be sought after are the stars that were recognized as such from the outset but sold in small numbers because of price, limited production or some provenance issue. As someone mentioned, each generation's idea of a great model "ages out", and the next generation has a different lust. As such the older generation's collections will tail off with only the real gems/stars/exclusive ones retaining their cachet. Twas always such.

• Like 1

Tri-Fives are a mixed bag for me. I think they've been done to death for a long time, so it takes a truly exceptional one for me to give it more than a passing glance. I'll usually stop for a Sport Sedan or wagon in an unusual color. Red, black, or turquoise full-dresser BelAir 2dHT? Meh. Modified cars, double meh.

One thing that has always bothered me, esp on the 57, is owners' penchant for loading every accessory available onto the car during a restoration. A fully loaded Chevrolet was an anomaly back then. Dealers rarely if ever ordered fully loaded cars because they'd have been a hard sell to the typical Chevrolet customer. Yet every 57 you see has had the option book thrown at it. "That's how I'd have ordered it!" At a buck fifteen an hour? Nuh-uh. If you could have afforded a highly optioned car you'd have moved up a couple of Divisions just as Mr Sloan planned.

To their credit, Tri-Fives, Mustangs, Camaros etc did spawn an industry supporting their restoration, and that has rubbed off for those of us who prefer non-mainstream hobby cars.

That said, I often think how nice it would be to open a catalog or website and be able to order any part I could ever want or need. A 6-cylinder Mustang could be fun and easy to maintain...☺️

• Like 2

Over done restorations are my turn off. Tri-five Chevys and Model A Fords are cars that seem to get over restored with too many accessories as mentioned earlier.  Good honest representations of the cars are the ones I appreciate the most.  Not every Chevy was a two door, every car was not equipped with a V8 and power pack option and not every car was painted two tone.  I still like seeing them today and would own one if possible.  

I am a big Mustang fan, but I have not owned one for quite a long time. But I have worked on and driven a very large number of them. I worked for a good friend years ago who is a very serious Mustang / Shelby collector. These days he owns multiple Shelby's, Boss's { 302, 351, 429 } and K cars. I have driven them all except the Boss 9. That one is his private baby.

I personally find any of the " average " Mustangs quite underwelming. It takes at least a A code , GT , 4 speed to raise the slightest interest. Anything else is just your H.S. friends mothers car.

Champagne taste on a beer budget, thats why I no longer even look at Mustangs that are for sale.

I was very tempted several years ago to rejoin the ranks of Mustang owners. A 1966 GT , K code coupe. Decent body, no engine / trans, but the correct 9 inch was still there. and a reasonably realistic price. But I had my hands full with a  MK 1 Lotus Cortina at the time. Very similar car , but at the end of the day , a good measure rarer and more valuable than any non- Shelby , first gen Mustang. Only so many hours in the day and $ in the wallet.

Never seen a deal on a K that was even 1/2 as attractive over the decade or so since that one popped up. Today I would buy it in a blink.

I currently own a 57 Chevy , but it will be moving to a new owner in the future. A 2 door HT, circle track race car with a long Pacific North West history { race car since 1969 } . 

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Maybe I'm unusual but I'm drawn to the uncommon. Having owned a 55 Chev. back in the 70's I didn't really see anything special about it. Just happened to be what was available at the time. Would much rather look at a nice 55' to 57' Studebaker.

• Like 3

We are aging out and so is the hobby. If people collect cars that remind them of their youth I'm wondering what mono colored, look alike, appliance/cars will be collectable 25 years from now...........bob

• Like 1

The February 2022 of Collectible Automobile featured GM's cars of 1957. Looking at all the GM lines I have mixed feelings that can tear me away from reality for instance, I have been a Pontiac / Oldsmobile fan as far as I can remember (3) and that is attributed to my dad and my dad's side of our family. That means there was always a bit of prejudice on my part. The 57 Pontiac when ordered correctly like a Chieftain Catalina is not a bad looking car, especially next to a chrome laden 57 StarChief Catalina. The 57 Olds is also a good-looking car if ordered correctly. It seems GM gave you so much hardware that you could order to personalize your car that you could end up ruining it. Also, the drivetrain has a lot to do with making a car attractive to a buyer and that's why Pontiac Olds and Cadillac hold an advantage over Buick and Chevrolet. I know why Buick and Chevrolet decided against Hydra-Matic, both for two different reasons. Anyroad, flipping the pages of this magazine I have two favorites as far as styling goes for 1957. The first would be the 57 Coupe De Ville and the close second would be the 57 BelAir 2 dr HT. There is something about all of the GM 1957 line that I don't like, however the least amount of styling faults goes to Cadillac and Chevrolet IF ordered properly.

1958 Cadillac DeVille - Coupe DeVille | Classic Driver Market<1957----->1958image.jpeg.d079c14d292ed70a589c151181a26042.jpegchromed up and fins reversed

This 1957 Cadillac above shows where GM styling is going. The swept back "A" pillar swept forward "C" pillar and the rest of the roof will be on the 58 Chevrolet and Pontiac. Cadillac was so adamant about NOT having skirts on cars with sweep cut wheelhouse openings that they used stainless wheel lip molding so you couldn't add an aftermarket skirt.  Speaking of what not to order, the factory can screw things up too. Just look what Cadillac did with the basic 57 Cad when they made the 58.

I'll never get tired of the looks of the car below.

AutoHunter Spotlight: 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air | ClassicCars.com Journal

I think the reason why I walk past most Tri-Five Chevrolets is because of what people have done to them and not because of their basic good looks. The only overexposure is from cars pictured below!

As such;Restored 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Is A Cool Cruiser | by Sam Maven |  Motorious | Medium1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Gasser "Rat Fink Gasser" Red Met. Limited Edition to  1098 pieces Worldwide 1/18 Diecast Model Car by ACME - Walmart.comRealRides of WNY - 1957 Bel Air

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Coupe - Lowrider Magazine1957 Chevrolet Bel Air - Lowrider Magazine | Chevrolet bel air, Hydraulic  cars, Lowriders

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Agree with sentiment on overdone cars.  Opting to keep the A roadster in standard trim, and go easy on extras (love the stone gaurd though).

On tri fives, continental kits and fuzzy dice are the equivalent to chrome wheelwell trim on MB SLs.  Tickets should be issued to both offending parties...

• Haha 1

Just as when they were new, the right color combination and model make for the stand out car. I see that in even the least interesting or popular cars.

I started driving shortly after I turned 16 and for the remaining year and a half of High School I changed cars at a rate equal to the length of the temporary safety inspection duration.

I had two '57 Chevies, a V* standard shift four door and a 6 stick station wagon. The problem was that I had a '58 Chevy before the '57. The 57's were like a truck with their big steering wheel. high beltline, and high bench seat compared to the '58, just never liked them.

About two weeks before graduation, still 17 but two months away from 18, I bought this 1960 Buick Invicta:

1960Buick-1.jpg.9cab0f5ceb0987d886feb449728a98c0.jpg

More the type of car I have always driven. And still do today.

019a.jpg.b0a2e215288255c667793f90ebb6411c.jpg

Not really a Chevy guy except for trucks.

• Like 1

I'm a different demographic than most on here (having been born in 1984) and to me those Chevrolets are still a dream car. Their looks are just iconic, literally what dreams are made of. I've recounted the dream I had in the past about having a 57 Chevrolet. 

There are no 50s cars I dislike. It's my favorite decade of automobile design. I can't imagine ever growing tired of looking at any of them, ever... however, I didn't grow up with them. To me, it was a special treat to see them at a car show. I grew up with 70s and 80s cars, and while I thought they were bland and boring when I saw them all the time, now I miss them, and seeing them brings back a wave of nostalgia for a time when I was younger, healthier and still had hopes of....well...lots of things, that I now know won't happen. 

My dad's favorite car of all time was the 55 Nomad. He never owned one but he did have a 55 Bel Air. He didn't care for the 57 as much, he thought their popularity overshadowed the 55 which he liked more. 

Me, I tend to overlook the Camaros and Corvettes at car shows...so much so that when my model club did a Camaro build off, I looked through my photo archive and didn't find enough reference material to use! After that I made an effort to actually photograph at least some of them. I try to photograph every car at every show but my health doesn't allow that for larger shows, I have to pick and choose. I never skip any 50s car though. 

Even though I know it's not likely, I can't give up the idea of being a classic car owner and a four door 57 Chevrolet is on my list. Since I'm more concerned with the design rather than the mechanical aspect I would be totally fine with it being entirely made of reproduction parts with "modern reliability" and stuff like air conditioning (a definite need as I have trouble breathing in the heat!), gps and a backup camera. Sadly, it's out of my price range...I know I could save for it but I can't bring myself to give up my hobbies yet to make it happen. 

Are these overexposed ? Now that I have a Lola my 57 will be for sale. A project , but this is what it looked like for 40 of the last 50 years. Most recent decade it's been apart. Could easily go back together. Mine is a 2 Door Hard Top , not a 2 door post.

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air | Classic Cars for Sale - Streetside Classics

'57 Chevys remind me of the girls I went to high school with. Some

plain Jane's, some sexy, some overdone, and now, as well as back then, mostly unobtainable.

I drove my shoebox Fords and, later, Galaxies and didn't look back.

• Like 1

I like vehicles, period.  Restored.  Unrestored.  Modern. Vintage.  Some I like more than others, naturally, but I like them all… even low riders and street rods.

When I look at a restored car, I think of the time and money that was invested.  When I look at an unrestored car, I think of the importance of originality and the potential it has, restored or not.

There are MANY ugly cars in my mind… the AMC pacer for example, or the coffin nose matador… or my friend’s Davis… heck… even my 64 Corvair had a homely side… but homely has a place in automotive history.  🙂

One thing is a MUST for me to put my energy into a restoration.  I must fall in love with the car… the kind of love where I look back at it as I walk away from it… every.  Single.  Time.

55, 56, and 57 Chevrolets do not do it for me, but they are works of Americana rolling art… and I appreciate them.  This said, I am in LOVE with my 1936 Chrysler Convertible.

Joe

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Professor said:

I like vehicles, period.  Restored.  Unrestored.  Modern. Vintage.  Some I like more than others, naturally, but I like them all… even low riders and street rods.

When I look at a restored car, I think of the time and money that was invested.  When I look at an unrestored car, I think of the importance of originality and the potential it has, restored or not.

There are MANY ugly cars in my mind… the AMC pacer for example, or the coffin nose matador… or my friend’s Davis… heck… even my 64 Corvair had a homely side… but homely has a place in automotive history.  🙂

One thing is a MUST for me to put my energy into a restoration.  I must fall in love with the car… the kind of love where I look back at it as I walk away from it… every.  Single.  Time.

55, 56, and 57 Chevrolets do not do it for me, but they are works of Americana rolling art… and I appreciate them.  This said, I am in LOVE with my 1936 Chrysler Convertible.

Joe

Well said. 

Personally, I love the style, when stock, but have no "connection", thus drive, to own a Tri-five. It's not something I would turn down if the right set of circumstances came along, but It's not something I would kill to have either.

But I'm an oddball too. At 45, I have zero interest in the cars of my youth- with few exceptions they look like boxes and do not in any way interest me.

What gets my attention, ironically , are the cars of my g-grandfathers. The late 30s, early 40s cars are my attractions. That and Pick ups older than 1966...lol

• Like 1

I was born in 1963. I have been a car lover for as long as I can remember and 1957 Chevys and Fastback Mustangs are what I dreamed about at night as a kid. A '57 Chevy is just perfect as it rolled off the assembly line and screams "1950s" to me more so than any other automobile ever produced. They don't need continental kits, skirts, mag wheels or fuzzy dice. Let me see a stocker right down to the the wheel covers! Mustangs on the other hand fall into two categories for me; fastback and everything else. I love the fastback models but the coupes and even convertibles do nothing for me.

As I've aged I have developed a great appreciation for many of the less often seen models as well. A 1957 Pontiac Star Chief or a 1957 Studebaker Hawk is just as appealing.

Chevrolet 210 bel air cars for sale in Texas1967 Ford Mustang | Classic Cars for Sale Michigan: Muscle & Old Cars |  Vanguard Motor Sales

• Like 2

My High School Mustang was a 66 2+2, C code, auto { boo }. It was as cheap as a 10 year old Mustang ever is, and the girls I knew thought it was cool.

Later on I got turned on to GT Coupes, it helped that a girl I was interested in had one { A code , 4 speed } as a daily driver. Her sister even had a bright orange 67 Cougar GT , A code , 4 speed. Those girls liked their pony cars. 

Things never quite worked out long term with Mustang girl and I , but the appreciation of GT coupes stuck.

Perhaps someday if prices settle down.

My wife has a 99 Mustang Convert. Bright red, V6 Auto. Low miles. She loves it , it doesn't do much for me at all.

1966 Ford Mustang GT 289 V8 - Nicely Restored Pony Car - YouTube

It looks like the consensus here is that tri-five Chevies were an initial and essential entry step for a good number of us into appreciating, owning and maintaining collector cars. They were generally a "phase" that most of us passed through to where we are today. Back in the "day", they were available, affordable, easy to maintain and generally accepted and appreciated by our peers.

This is not unlike the popular cars of the generations that passed before us: Grandpa with his stripped and hopped-up model T; Dad with his war-era flathead V-8; our early Chevy V-8's and then pony and muscle cars... A natural progression, I believe.

I'd certainly like to live long enough to see how this evolves in the future. What is the popular wave coming? Is there a wave at all? Will the millennials or the tuners develop a sense of nostalgia or will it all end up in the land fill? Will your grandchildren and subsequent generations really care about their history, much less yours?

Tune in in 50 years and see where our hobby and legacies are.

When see the common colors, yes they have become ho-hum, but when when I see one in a different color combination or or different model then I do look twice, or do I even dare say one with a 235 six cylinder, it will catch my attention

• Like 1

Not that there’s anything wrong with any of them, but I’ve often wondered how many people realize Model A’s, Tri-Five Chevy’s, Mustang’s, et al* were the Camry’s, Civic’s, Sentra’s, etc of their time, nothing more, nothing less.

*including my PB 😉

• Like 1

57 Chevy's { 57 Fords as well if 2 door HT's or converts }   and Mustangs were regarded as quite desirable cars even by the late 1960's ,early 70's when I was a teen.  Not even in the same league as a Camry, Civic or Sentra.   Not even close! 

One of the managers at the GM dealership where my father and I worked { weekends and Summers for me } had a 57 Chevy Belair 2 door hard top . He did a repaint . re - chrome, interior tidy up on what was a pretty good to start with , 15 year old at the time car. EVERYONE at the dealership thought it was the coolest staff owned car by far. I sort of prefered the 66 Chevelle with a totally killer big block that one of the mechanics owned, but the 57 was hands down every one elses favorite.

Model A's are way too old for me to think of them as anything but a antique. 

My concern for those future collectibles is parts availability.  For the tri-five Chevys all you need is a title and everything else is available from aftermarket suppliers. Not sure how that will go in the future with newer cars.