Colors 🙄 - most least popular car colors

rocketraider

Are we talking new or antiques? 

Wife has a 2019 black interior and my 2018 truck is granite, and we both love them.

Some in our family say we are the life of our parties, now I'm starting to wonder.

I wasn't self-conscience about these things before today, thanks lol

• Haha 1

My F150 is old man red with silver. I would’ve never thought I’d own such a thing, but it was low miles and a deal. I’d been looking for six months before I stumbled onto this one.

My 82-year-old mom‘s new caddy is the same color. The difference is she ordered hers that way, I just accepted mine as part of the deal.

The truck before that with black on black, and the one before that was gray on gray.

5FE73A99-5399-4021-9429-14DC6610B4F3.jpeg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Are we talking new or antiques? 

Wife has a 2019 black interior and my 2018 truck is granite, and we both love them.

Some in our family say we are the life of our parties, now I'm starting to wonder.

I wasn't self-conscience about these things before today, thanks lol

Cars before the Nineties could often get away with white, silver or gray because they could have colorful interiors and enough brightwork to break up the expanses of non-colors. 

When I was a young man, I decided that -when rich, and buying my Rolls- Royce - I would have it painted to match the dirt in my driveway. I'm old now, relatively speaking, and I never got the Rolls. However, I still like the concept. A dirt colored Rolls? OK. A dirt colored Yugo? it is just not going to hack it.

PMH

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Cars before the Nineties could often get away with white, silver or gray because they could have colorful interiors and enough brightwork to break up the expanses of non-colors. 

Really? Which ones, I don't recall any that I'd own during that time period.

There are some current blacks and grays, charcoals I'd never own depending on accent colors and type of material used. 

I understand what you're saying though, way too many white, silver and light charcoal monotones out there. I agree.

Why anyone would own a new gunmetal gray is beyond me. They should be plugged with elephant guns imho.

I'm color blind so there's that and I'm sure I'm biased since I drove all 1963 to 1972 work trucks during the time frame from mid 1970s up until recently, so I had no desire to purchase anything different during that period (other than antiques or classics). Everything the wife drove in that time frame (from 1980 to 2014) was complete garbage with horrendous blue and gray interiors, might as well have been mauve it was so sickening lol. That new soft black interior she has in her current car is holding up very nicely (SofTex) and the best car she's ever owned.

Our family daily driver is dark metallic red and my brother's car is light metallic blue. The last red car we had was a Chrysler Cordoba...blue has been the predominant family car color. I can remember 5 blue, 2 red, 1 white and 1 metallic orange. Have pictures of 1 green but don't have any memories of it. Most of our cars didn't last that long... considering I've only been alive since 1984. 

20185580-vi.jpg

20203912-vi.jpg

Edited by Billy Kingsley (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, pmhowe said:

When I was a young man, I decided that -when rich, and buying my Rolls- Royce - I would have it painted to match the dirt in my driveway. I'm old now, relatively speaking, and I never got the Rolls. However, I still like the concept. A dirt colored Rolls? OK. A dirt colored Yugo? it is just not going to hack it.

PMH

A car that holds the record for hiding dirt that gets my vote is a Chevette that was called 'Sandpiper'.  It was available in a soiled, dirty yellow color with an interior that matched the exterior in the same 'dirty yellow' color.   (Perfect car for a single mom with kids that wet their diapers a lot.)   White, black, gray, and silver cars look spotless next to a Chevette with that trim.  https://barnfinds.com/sandpiper-special-1977-chevrolet-chevette/

Craig

• Haha 2

When there were still cars and trucks on dealer lots over the past few years, my wife would always comment when riding by how ugly they were. White, silver, gray and black or some shade of those. No real "color" on the entire lot. I suppose that's what buyers want these days.

A majority of the new cars are leased the national average is 60% that was given in another thread. Easy colors to touch up, hide chips and scratches very well,  put back it out right on the used car lot. I never leased but my sons do. They said when the lease is up the options become very limited

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

I totally agree about the lack of colors but - my SUV daily is white for practical reasons. (Texas summer) We did get red leather seats for a little bit of color. There is always a sea of white SUV's in any parking lot and my wife has a hard time picking ours out. She looks for the wheels which are a fairly unique grey-blue metallic.

DSCF2839.JPG

DSCF2842.JPG

DSCF2843.JPG

DSCF2845.JPG

• Like 2

I've ranted to many of my  friends about the real lack of color available for the last decade. Seems that it matters little to most people. But my friends in the used car business pay a good premium for brighter shades of orange, red, burgundy, green and yellow. They stand out and sell better I'm told, and bring more money that the sea of black, white and gray tones on most lots. The only new car purchase I've made in the last 25 years was a GoManGo metallic orange Dodge Charger Daytona in  Oct. 2005. Now I seem to have nothing but blah gray and black. I sold it 6 years ago. This is a Dodge brochure picture until I can go thru my files, but exact color scheme.

2006 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T | Dodge | SuperCars.net

• Like 4

13 hours ago, alsancle said:

I assume the lighter color gray is flat

No! Gray without metallic looks like a Navy Ship, even in the lighter shades. Designed to blend in with fog/mist on the ocean. Very few grays have been non-metallic since the early 60s. Recent Audis are an exception. 

BTW, flat means no gloss, not non-metallic. You can have a flat metallic paint. Quite the rage in the hot rod crowd nowadays from those TV shows of building c&^%, I mean "fancy" vehicles.😆  Or building Navy Ships....😉

Square D gray, Navy Gray, close match.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

How about referring it by its proper "name", Federal Standard 595, #16187 http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=16187  (Besides you being a number, not an individual by name with the Feds, its the same with paint colors.) 

A Studebaker truck originally painted FS16187 

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/89938-studebaker-navy-trucks/page2?87811-Studebaker-NAVY-Trucks=

Craig

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

No! Gray without metallic looks like a Navy Ship, even in the lighter shades. Designed to blend in with fog/mist on the ocean. Very few grays have been non-metallic since the early 60s. Recent Audis are an exception. 

BTW, flat means no gloss, not non-metallic. You can have a flat metallic paint. Quite the rage in the hot rod crowd nowadays from those TV shows of building c&^%, I mean "fancy" vehicles.😆  Or building Navy Ships....😉

Dodge has this type of color, they call it Battleship Gray. I absolutely hate it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 8E45E said:

How about referring it by its proper "name", Federal Standard 595, #16187 http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=16187  (Besides you being a number, not an individual by name with the Feds, its the same with paint colors.) 

A Studebaker truck originally painted FS16187 

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/89938-studebaker-navy-trucks/page2?87811-Studebaker-NAVY-Trucks=

Craig

If you ever have to write down all the Federal Standard numbers and need a pencil the correct Army title is 12 each Portable Handheld Transcribing Device.

• Haha 1

My wife’s Honda CR-V is a dark metallic green that looks black at night under parking lot lights- just like my ‘69 Firebird which is dark green poly ( fathom green to a Camaro). Trouble is, lots of other folks like that color too. My wife has actually hopped into the wrong car, which had an occupant. Fortunately it was a nice lady who understood the situation. Talk about embarrassment!

There's certainly nothing wrong with those

as paint colors--white, black, light gray, light medium gray,

medium gray, dark gray, dark dark gray...

But there needs to be much more choice, so people

can express their own tastes and preferences.

Interiors, too, currently need a lot of help.

Imagine your wife decorating the living room and

going to the furniture store.  "Mrs. Smith, that sofa

you like comes only in solid tan or solid gray.  That's

all we have to offer!"

The car manufacturers are dictating what you are able to buy, guess they have computer analysis of what they feel people will most likely enjoy/prefer and thus can paint many the same color and just ship them to dealers when an order is placed. "your" choice is chosen for you. But people do have a tendency to go with what they feel is popular , thus the repetition, even with restorations - in the 1970s many many cars were painted tan and brown or silver and maroon. I saw this happen even to a fellow in a local club region who was an art teacher, his huge 1930s sedan got painted silver and maroon because that was what was popular at the time, what was in vogue. People want to be different from the herd but those that do , mostly flock with the crowd - it is the need to be accepted , be part of it. Be it a color for a car, what event to attend to pose at etc. We all have our own way of being happy, I have been out of step with what makes the rest of the crowd happy most all of my life .

• Like 2

The OEM styling departments watch what colors are trending in other industries which change faster (such as fashion and interior decorating), as well as the input from paint companies on this.  They care about the segment of the population who buy or lease new vehicles.  If that's not you, don't expect your opinion to influence their business decision.

And at least in interiors, there is beginning to be a bit more color and contrast in some cars.

• Like 1

When we bought our 2005 Suburban new I was pretty open to exterior colors, other than black, but I was dead set on finding one with a tan interior, no black or dark charcoal!  It was hard to find but I still like the white exterior and tan interior 140k+ miles later!  My only wish is that the carpets would have been a darker color for spills, etc.  As soon as I retire in the fall, I will replace the bottom of the driver's seat with fresh leather and replace the carpeting with a medium to darker brown.  Our 2015 Holden SS only had one choice for interior color, dark charcoal/black, so that is what we got!  The exterior is Some Like it Red Hot, medium metallic red in the shade, but burnt orange in the bright sun!  Everyone in the family loves the color!  My sister feels black interiors are great because they don't show the dirt! 

9 hours ago, 63RedBrier said:

... My only wish is that the carpets would have been a darker color for spills, etc.  As soon as I retire in the fall, I will replace the bottom of the driver's seat with fresh leather and replace the carpeting with a medium to darker brown.  

You can get great results with aerosol carpet dye sold at auto part stores. I have used them and they work very well and the color lasts.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)
  • Like 1