Colors 🙄 - most least popular car colors

rocketraider

I get my daily Harbor Freight email today and what do I find PROMINENTLY displayed?

Their 5 drawer mechanics' cart (handy thing btw, I have one) is now available in battleship gray! There's no getting away from these drab depressing colors on anything!😩😱

I like my red 5 drawer cart, thank you. If I had it to do over I might have got an orange one! because I sure like the orange 56" roller chest I bought!

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 7:24 AM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I've always admired this Chrysler company "Gunmetal Gray". If you look at the formula you'll see that it has a small amount of green in it. It can be quite elegant on some bodies:

39784_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

The new Anval Gray is a new stop you in your tracks color. Bob

IMG_12321.jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Really bad flashbacks of gunmetal. 

Spent the summers of 88 and 89 listening to Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking by Roger Waters while electrostatic painting with Xylol based gunmetal non-stop (gunmetal magnets reference). 

Xylol is cancer causing garbage, so it makes my skin crawl whenever I see that so called color. Love the ships but that color has to stop... PLEASE!

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Really bad flashbacks of gunmetal. 

Spent the summers of 88 and 89 listening to Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking by Roger Waters while electrostatic painting with Xylol based gunmetal non-stop (gunmetal magnets reference). 

Xylol is cancer causing garbage, so it makes my skin crawl whenever I see that so called color. Love the ships but that color has to stop... PLEASE!

Xylol is another name for xylene or more formally dimethylbenzene, if you're reading labels.  Manageable to use with the right equipment, which I doubt you were provided with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/1/2022 at 9:17 PM, Billy Kingsley said:

Chrysler's new line of Low Impact Colors?

Those are out of sight colors. People who purposely drive fast on the HWY and FWY like those colors because at a distance they fade into the HWY.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

But look! All of those gray cars have tasteful red and bright accents to break up the monotony. Imagine them with no brightwork and a matching monotone gray interior...🥺🤢🤮

Yes, they would just be another navy vehicle;

image.jpeg.4301b9afdb8adebc223f443d74258b02.jpeg my my, the new shore patrol sure is different than when I was in the navy! 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

My 1970 Chevelle Malibu.   This is back to the original" Shadow Grey" paint as per the build sheet. I wanted to go with Fathom green as my 70 Chevelle convert. was back in '75.

I had decoded and received confirmation from GM Vintage Vehicle services and after removing 2 coats of burgundy and blue with razor blades, there it was.....dark grey, NERTZ!

nov5crs 008.jpg

Ah, but that is a metallic gray, aka medium silver.....😁

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 8:07 AM, bryankazmer said:

Xylol is another name for xylene or more formally dimethylbenzene, if you're reading labels.  Manageable to use with the right equipment, which I doubt you were provided with.

Only one thing came to mind when I read this. "I'm not arguing that with you" - Joe VS the Volcano reference. 

Thankfully we did have proper equipment to protect our respiratory system, skin, pores, eyes and any other orifices but that agent is unique.

Some of those guys I worked with at the time were too proud and old school and refused protection and even put their hands straight in it, and most of those died a miserable death due to the many chemicals they exposed themselves to. I hated wearing all that equipment, but it probably saved my life to be honest. I knew at my first introduction to it when I popped the cap just by the smell that it was nothing to play with. Anything with a benzene base to this day still gives me the heabie jeabies (SP) after seeing what it did to some of them guys nervous system and other physical effects. 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Many colors change with the addition of a tint of another color. Gray can be warmer if red , yellow etc is added not in huge amounts just enough to alter the black and white primary colors mixed. The gray can take on a cooler appearance with the addition of blue and green. Amazing what changes can take place that then change if the color is viewed in direct sun light or shade. This can be a whole seminar to have at a meeting with images to really explain and be clearer about what is being said.

Modern cars in gray can be just viewed as basic boring due to the shape of the car that they are on which is a oval - no chrome, no accents of black , no flat panes of glass to alter the reflection ( you are dealing with 90 degree angles at corners of glass not ovals the same shape as the car) It is a whole art lesson about why, and observation of what you are looking at. Cars that are older and had more chrome and less oval shapes give a totally different appearance and not just due to color.  Tire size has a lot to do with it as well and the wheels - which are bulls eyes, all contribute to the appearance. As mentioned this is an article, story or in person class on what you are really looking at not just what you think you are looking at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I write that I wouldn't want a sky gray car and forgot all about my own car that has been in storage away from home since November, maybe December. Not sure but it is paid through the end of March. It's one I plan to sell this Summer. Must have mentally crossed it off the list alread.

Will be advertised as silver.

017001.jpg.d367ce58eefbc7e819df2c9851a78516.jpg

Bernie, that's silver. It has metallic in it. No way would the Navy paint their ships that color.😁

My understating of car colors and the use of primary color names goes back to my early post-high school days. Outside of the '60 Buick I bought in 1966 most of my cars had no connection to the bank. I remember my cousin had something that was Cordoba Tan at the time I had a brown car. He was making payments.

I am pretty sure the official name is Silver Metallic, but gray is fine. What surprises me is that it is 36 years old and I have had it for 10 years. Although I have never really bought many "old" cars I seem to end up with them.

6 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

Just yesterday I saw this unusual colored new Corvette. First time I've seen one of them up close, too. It was a very light blue, a color I don't think I've ever seen on a car before. 

IMG_20220305_114355405_HDR.jpg

'72 Mustang, and a '69 Z/28 in that color:

72_Mustang_1.jpg

69_Z28_1.jpg

69_Z28_2.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 2/22/2022 at 1:38 PM, pkhammer said:

...my wife would always comment when riding by how ugly they were. White, silver, gray and black or some shade of those. No real "color" on the entire lot....

"Silver" is really just a marketing term.  It's a light gray.

Another shade of gray!

If you have ever noticed actual silver--such as on a 

polished coffee pot or an uncirculated silver dollar--

it's actually whitish with a tinge of yellow.