My 1955 Buick special was stolen last night

dww

My 1955 Buick special was stolen last night out of my garage in the middle of the 

night while I was sleeping, the police have been notified, if anybody see it let me know.

I live in the Wichita Ks (316)-687-0218

Don😢

098.jpg.37d4329c552fc741a1be0464e6f66321.jpg

Don, I'm sorry to hear that.

You should know that divine justice is always working

on the side of good.  You can get your car back.

You should also post this in the "Buick--General"

category so that many Buick followers will know.

Just scroll down the list of categories, and you'll

see it among many Buick-related categories.

Or use this link:

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/10-buick-general/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

It was probably someone who knew you and/or the car - think on it and you might figure out who was behind the theft.

Jim

^^^^^^^^  This  ^^^^^^^^^^ It is extremely unusual for a car to be stolen out of a garage by someone who does not know the car is there. Even more so for a classic car.

• Like 7

You might want to ask the police to send the particulars on your car to collector car dealers putting them on notice to be on the lookout for your car.  Collector cars aren't an easy sale, the thief will be looking to peddle your car for a quick profit, may turn to selling it to a dealer.   Good luck, hope it's returned safe and sound, that the miscreant brought to justice.

• Like 1

Great news. Time to get a new lock for the garage. One thing you can do if you have a garage door opener is to put that plug on a switch in the house. When your in for the night turn the switch off and they can’t open your door with the portable signal interceptors a thief uses. 
dave s 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Great to hear that you got your car back.

And just to build on the garage door advice, it's not a good idea to leave your garage door cracked open just a little if you are not home or you are asleep.

Using the gap at the top of the door, thieves can use a wire hook to disconnect the opener from the door and just slide the door open.

Will be interesting to see how this guy knew of your car and where to find it.

2 hours ago, dww said:

Good news, the police got the guy driving the car last night they call me at 12:30 am to come and pick it up, it looks OK and is back in my garage now.

Don

He couldn’t be the brightest bulb in the box.  When you steal a car that is unlike anything else commonly on the road and drive it around for anyone to see, knowing that by now a police report has been issued, is just plain dumb.  But on the plus side, that stupidity worked out in your favor. Glad to hear you have the car back in your possession.

• Like 2

Glad to hear the car has been recovered.   

My aunt had a '55 Century that was stolen and recovered 3 times.  Maybe these Buicks have a 'charmed' existence!

I think the 'Lock-Off-On' ignition switch is a very bad idea.   Makes it too easy for thieves to get the car.

40 minutes ago, TerryB said:

He couldn’t be the brightest bulb in the box.  When you steal a car that is unlike anything else commonly on the road and drive it around for anyone to see, knowing that by now a police report has been issued, is just plain dumb.  But on the plus side, that stupidity worked out in your favor. Glad to hear you have the car back in your possession.

I agree. It would be interesting to know how many classic cars are stolen every year, and how it compares with cars stolen in general. I'm guessing it's low (for the reasons you state) but it could be that really old cars are a bigger thrill for joy riders, too. That's why having things like manual transmission, three speed column shift and carbs with manual chokes on old cars is an advantage...young thieves won't know how to drive them. And manual spark advance is even better!😄  Seriously, though, a well placed battery disconnect switch might deter some of the dumber thieves.

• Like 1

Lots of those kind of people around. To bad they can't do something useful with their life like get a JOB??

Anyway, here is a cheap and easy way to prevent the door from being opened. Either by hand or using a remote to find the code.

I put just a simple heavy duty padlock on the vertical rail for the door. Doesn't need to be locked, just the fact that it is there will prevent

the door from being opened. You of course will need to go inside and remove it before attempting to open the door, but the few minutes

it takes to do that will save a LOT of headaches if something did happen. And it will deter most thieves from trying very hard.

Glad to hear you got the car back again.

P1000941.JPG

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, 9F94M567042 said:

Lots of those kind of people around. To bad they can't do something useful with their life like get a JOB??

Anyway, here is a cheap and easy way to prevent the door from being opened. Either by hand or using a remote to find the code.

I put just a simple heavy duty padlock on the vertical rail for the door. Doesn't need to be locked, just the fact that it is there will prevent

the door from being opened. You of course will need to go inside and remove it before attempting to open the door, but the few minutes

it takes to do that will save a LOT of headaches if something did happen. And it will deter most thieves from trying very hard.

Glad to hear you got the car back again.

P1000941.JPG

Yes !

I do something very similar, but simpler-

I jam an angled Jack handle,

or even a big screwdriver-

The door cannot be raised more than one (1") inch the way ours is situated

A good friend went away for the week end. Upon his return he discovered his new Corvette was stolen from his garage. Seems the perpetrator also made him self a sandwich, had two beers, and took a shower. He found the Vette keys on the key rack, grabbed a couple of bottles of booze, a handful of my friend's wife's underwear and he and the Vette were................... Gone.

Couple of days later his stolen Vette was spotted in Georgia and his neighbor's son was arrested without incident.

Point is, all the deterrents in the world won't stop the determined, stupid, or depraved.

We all try but all we can do is make it difficult for the miscreant.

As an aside, a few years later the young man hung himself in prison after killing his girl friend and hiding her body in the wall of a house.           

My friend always thought he was a nice quiet kid........Ya'll be careful now. Heah.........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

A good friend went away for the week end. Upon his return he discovered his new Corvette was stolen from his garage. Seems the perpetrator also made him self a sandwich, had two beers, and took a shower. He found the Vette keys on the key rack, grabbed a couple of bottles of booze, a handful of my friend's wife's underwear and he and the Vette were................... Gone.

Couple of days later his stolen Vette was spotted in Georgia and his neighbor's son was arrested without incident.

Point is, all the deterrents in the world won't stop the determined, stupid, or depraved.

We all try but all we can do is make it difficult for the miscreant.

As an aside, a few years later the young man hung himself in prison after killing his girl friend and hiding her body in the wall of a house.           

My friend always thought he was a nice quiet kid........Ya'll be careful now. Heah.........Bob

Somewhat familiar story.  I wonder he left the housekeys with the trusted adult neighbor.

One of my plumbing customers left his house key with the next door neighbor while going away for the weekend.  The neighbor's son took the keys to his plumbing van and joyrided to a city 180 miles north of here, until he ran it out of gas 15 miles from the destination city, and abandoned it at the side of the highway. Ironically, the cops stopped him two times along the way, first, at a town 90 miles along the way, because the cop thought he was "too young" to be driving a van like it.  He was 16 at the time, showed a valid driver's licence, and told the cop he was on his way to 'help his dad', and the cop bought the story.  When he ran it out of fuel, while walking along the side of the highway, another kind police officer pulled over and gave him a ride into the city.  In the meantime, the van got towed to the impound lot as an 'abandoned vehicle'. (Probably was a good thing, so the contents didn't get stolen while on the side of the highway.)  After was all said and done, my customer was the one who had to do all legwork to retrieve his van from the impound lot, and pay all the towing & storage fees.  It left my customer with the dilemma of wanting to press charges with the neighbor's kid with theft, which would have proven useless, being a minor under 18 and keeping the peace with his neighbor.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Graham Man said:

Most people don't realize it but the hole in the end is for a lock, the holes have been there for as long as I can remember.

image.png.6f3da8c6d32120a73dedcfef3059384d.png

i always latch my door and then put a lock through it, dont have to LOCK the lock jsut put it in there, keep the honest honest :)

49 minutes ago, BearsFan315 said:

i always latch my door and then put a lock through it, dont have to LOCK the lock jsut put it in there, keep the honest honest :)

Where I am an unlocked paddle lock would be a minor inconvenience. In my neighborhood the late night sneak thief's usually go in through the service door and don't open the big door until they are ready to leave.  Locked or not, a door with a key lock knob is open in 3 seconds and if your service door doesn't have a locked deadbolt, you will never hear the sound of breaking glass.

Very glad to hear that the Buick is back where it belongs and that it came back in good shape.

• Like 1

Good or bad, a new battery powered cut off wheels will go through almost anything.  They slice off catalytic converters in seconds...

I am surprise about the fact the person was able to start and drive the car, not real bright pretty easy car to spot.

Extremely glad you were able to recover the car in tact, nice when the system works.

Just like the lock on the track, anything stuck in there will prevent the door from going up. And yes, if a thief wants in they will get in. One of the reasons to have insurance.  I am lucky as I have never had a theft from home. I have more than my share from job sites though. We used to use sea containers for job site storage. Padlocks get cut off. Then bought a high dollar job that could not be cut. SO they just cut the soft metal latch the lock was attached to. Then a bar across the doors. Angle grinder cut through the side wall. I dont miss those days at all.

• Like 1

Some possible security measures I’ve heard work:

1. Cameras that alert your phone

2. alarm the garage 

3. opener that connects to the internet and alerts you to opening

4. kill switch

5. unplug the battery

6. park other less desirable cars in front of your garage

7. padlock on interior of garage door

8. lighting at night

9. motion sensors. 

most of this is cheap now, it’s not the eighties anymore. 

15 hours ago, MarkV said:

Some possible security measures I’ve heard work:

1. Cameras that alert your phone

2. alarm the garage 

3. opener that connects to the internet and alerts you to opening

4. kill switch

5. unplug the battery

6. park other less desirable cars in front of your garage

7. padlock on interior of garage door

8. lighting at night

9. motion sensors. 

most of this is cheap now, it’s not the eighties anymore. 

10.  Keep the radio on 24/7 loud enough to hear from outside.  It also deters mice.

Craig

• Like 1