Antique Commercial trucks, how many are still in use?

Steve9

Here is my favorite morning coffee stop. 1945 Ford cab mated to a 1970 Chev chassis. I know purists won’t love the marriage of the two Marques, but the way I see it, it’s been saved from the crusher. Any other working antiques out there?

7CF8DBE4-8A0D-4040-BF5B-8145CE24D6F8.jpeg

BAEF5F7F-6B9B-446D-A523-C39A9CF3E1B3.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2v2HUdGNnx2zUmm.jpg

2v2HUdnjCx2zUmm.jpg

There's another green Citroen just like this one on the other side of the ice rink, but we didn't try to get over to it. You can barely see the roof. Oddly enough I've seen several of these Citroens in Midtown Manhattan. The Sunday before Christmas was packed. A mistake I won't make again.

2v2HUdWA5x2zUmm.jpg

2v2HUddRdx2zUmm.jpg

You can see the Rockefeller Plaza Christmas tree in this photo

2v2HUddsyx2zUmm.jpg

The registration for this Ford said it was a 1954.

Not sure if you count fire engines, but my hometown maintains a vintage truck. I don't think it fights fires anymore. It's always the end of our Christmas light parade.

2v2E9vuDhx2zUmm.jpg

Edited by Billy Kingsley (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Amsoil? Should be STP for historical accuracy.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The term 'antique' can be a relative term. In my statement about the truck not being an antique, as I would look at an antique, simply means that it doesn't feel like it's old enough to be 'antique' to me. While it falls into the 25 year or older category, I was a young man in 1975, purchased my first new vehicle, a 1976 Chevy p/u and started restoring my 1928 Ford p/u. So to me, a vehicle of this vintage, still feels like a 'newer' truck or just a truck. Maybe it's just the coming to grips about getting older; my kids call me 'antique'!  When I was a teenager, the'50's cars were still just 'used cars'! But by AACA rights, it is an antique vehicle, and we do get some comments on it from time to time. 

Restorer32... Nanty-Glo or the original spelling Nant-y-Glo is a small coal mining town just outside of Johnstown PA. It's name ,in Welsh, means Streams Of Coal.

• Like 3

New Haven Pizza Truck ,1946 International H.

Brick oven onboard to.

Great Bday party favorite and get togethers for any reason..

The biz  is called "New Haven Pizza Truck..."

There are a hand full of usually green painted late 40s early 50s ,large size GMCs and Chevys operating in well kept shape in Connecticut..

We still see the open cab-no doors  step sided , with the bank if jingle bells across the windshield header ice cream truck every summer.like a 61 or 62 Chevrolet. 

pizza-truck-street.jpg

• Like 3

Yesterday the Maine Forest & Logging Museum's 1928 Lombard dump truck actually earned its keep (somewhat) I am sure the amount of fuel we burned offset the value of the work! Its amazing how much ethanol free gasoline that big Hercules will suck down. One of these days I will have to calculate out the fuel burn rate.

Anyway, the University of Maine Construction Engineering Technology students were working on several projects including putting new roof's on the Sawyer House and the Blacksmith shop as well as repairs to a privy and improving handicap access to some of the buildings. One team was tasked with taking down a couple of trees. We used the old beast to put tension on the rigging to ensure the trees fell in a safe area. Since we had to go back up the hill anyway we decided to take a load of branches and brush. It wasn't as fast as the students using the pickup and trailer but it was a lot more interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojtuzD6WCr4&t=312s

Lew Crosby directing me back to the brush pile.

3.thumb.jpg.cec80f22002738a31dbaddccf563f90e.jpg

Better than unloading by hand! One of these days we will fabricate and install the upper boards and tailgate and get the locking mechanism fixed.

2.thumb.jpg.d5c9c82f039d76d18857103d688995a9.jpg

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
10 minutes ago, Steve9 said:

These old Dodge vans are rarely seen anymore. Maybe someone can tell me the year. Doing duty as a sandwich delivery vehicle should insure a nice long life. Seeing it always puts a smile on my face. Looks like period correct mags too.

274E1EE6-E889-4E6B-8E29-43AFA3A2B3D8.jpeg

E4AB15B3-AA30-4C1B-ADCB-6C87B18C74D3.jpeg

1964 to 1967. The 1968, 1969 and 1970 had side marker lights.

• Like 1

Certainly as late as the 80s (and maybe much later) there was a truck mounted steam pile driver in the Providence, RI area. We'd only see it when there was a big construction project underway but much of "downtown" Providence is built on the filled in 18th century waterfront so any large building has to be supported on huge piles driven into the ground.

Edited by JV Puleo
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Those Lombards and the Erie steam shovel are fantastic!😍👍🤙 but, being a retired steam plant operator, wonder how the Erie operator got by without a water tender onboard with him. Good way to burn out yer boiler and firebox...

I realise NYC is "different" from most of the US, but wonder how those Citroen vans made it to America? 

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Those Lombards and the Erie steam shovel are fantastic!😍👍🤙 but, being a retired steam plant operator, wonder how the Erie operator got by without a water tender onboard with him. Good way to burn out yer boiler and firebox...

I realise NYC is "different" from most of the US, but wonder how those Citroen vans made it to America? 

Places like this: 

https://karpatiatrucks.com/citroen-food-truck/

There was a company I believe in New York that was importing the Citroen vans and redoing them for resale but it looks like they might have gone out of business.

Several years ago I bought a double decker bus from Walt Disney World in Florida. It had been used at Epcot Center and Walt Disney World park for many years, hauling passengers around the park during the day, and hauling Disney characters in the nightly Main Street parades. Bought it sight-unseen (from photos only) on eBay. Had it hauled home to Ohio, and was delighted that it fired right up and ran fine (propane powered GMC 6cyl). Used it for many years at our CARS & PARTS SPRINGFIELD SWAP MEET & CAR SHOW event, hauling our attendees around the fairgrounds during our events. Also used it to promote the SEMA and ARMO program called, "Take a kid to a car show," in local parades here in Ohio. It still runs and drives, but it's been parked for a few years now. Title says it is a 1986 model, which I guess makes it technically an antique. 

DSCN5547.JPG

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, zepher said:

@lump is your great old bus titled as an '86 because that is the year of the engine?

Zepher, I don't know, frankly. Another man bought one and restored it completely. He and I corresponded, and he claimed that these Disney buses were actually built in the 1950's, and then rebuilt and re-titled later. That doesn't make sense to me. I ASSUME it is a built on a 1986 GMC chassis, like school buses and other special-bodied trucks. 

• Like 1

We had a local collector in the Providence RI area that owned a glass company. He'd come to car shows in his 20s Cadillac tourer but he also had a restored 36 Ford truck with a special frame to hold the sheets of glass used in store fronts. There was also Peter Palagi — ice cream vendor — that had at least two model A and one Model B ice cream truck. These were commonly seen in my neighborhood — as was the old Italian vegetable vendor with a Model A truck. I would see that one on my way to work most mornings parked on the street in front of his house.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 1