Our friends in Oregon

Laughing Coyote

Great to hear you and your wife are okay. I was concerned when my wife received an email from her mother that lives just outside of Bend and was telling us how bad the fire was in your area.  Be safe John. We will be here waiting for you when you can get back. Thanks again for getting in touch with us all.

36 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I stood in our living room and looked around and told myself, "what's the use?

I don't think anyone can understand that feeling without experiencing it.  While living in the Fl panhandle on the gulf we evacuated five times.  Each time we would pause in the driveway and get out of the Excursion for one last look at our beach house.  I don't miss it.  You were blessed John.  Maybe our prayers helped.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robert G. Smits said:

I don't think anyone can understand that feeling without experiencing it.  While living in the Fl panhandle on the gulf we evacuated five times.  Each time we would pause in the driveway and get out of the Excursion for one last look at our beach house.  I don't miss it.  You were blessed John.  Maybe our prayers helped.

I am certain all of your prayers helped. I have the largest lump in my throat and have had for days. We will be sure to get back to you and probably with photos.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Hi everyone, I am fine. The town where John lives is substantially destroyed. It’s probable that his house is gone, though I pray I’m wrong. More importantly I hope he and his wife are okay and were able to evacuate. 

Where I lived down there is evacuated as is most of Medford and towns south to the CA border. 

There is a huge fire east of Portland that has destroyed many towns and threatens Lake Oswego, Oregon City and many other cities.

The Santiam Fire near Detroit Lake has Destroyed several towns.  Video looks like a war zone on the major highway through there and is impassible. Downed trees, abandoned cars, entire towns burnt. 

All of these fires cover many miles up and down the entire State. This is very likely the worst natural disaster of our state’s history. 

This unprecedented. we normally have, at most, 2 “mega” fires a year. Currently there are 4 simultaneously. When the rains come we will have landslides and that will be horrible also. 

Washington and California are also having terrible fires. It’s almost too much to comprehend. 

There are many stories of people helping people evacuate animals, volunteering at shelters, rescuing people, etc. That is what keeps us going. 💗

So glad you are OK, too.

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2020 at 7:28 AM, Laughing Coyote said:

I know this isn't car related, but does anyone have a way to contact Keiser and others that live in Oregon? The fires are burning right through his area. I sent him a PM to see if he is okay, but no response. I hope he is Okay. If the post needs to be removed that's fine, just concerned.

Thank you, sir! You da man!

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 12:32 PM, Oregon Desert model 45 said:

Phoenix is inside the evacuation area map  https://jcgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3caa39804db54631a61007180d5ef415

According to local news : https://mailtribune.com/news/top-stories/evacuation-alerts-in-place-for-south-jackson-county

"People who have evacuated from the Phoenix and Talent area should not return due to continued fire activity, the emergency center said."

I grew up in the area and try to keep an eye on local events.

Thanks for posting that map.

John

2 hours ago, dc-8dave said:

Hello Jack,

Here is the web page: https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/10/us/satellite-images-oregon-wildfire-trnd/index.html

and here is the best I could do on posting a image. If you go to the web-page you can make it larger.

Screenshot_2020-09-10 Satellite images show Phoenix and Talent, Oregon, have been nearly wiped out by wildfire.png

Thanks for posting that map, Dave.

20 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I am certain all of your prayers helped. I have the largest lump in my throat and have had for days.

6 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

So glad to hear you and Cherrie are okay and your home is still standing!... God bless!

"A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand

at thy right hand, but it shall not come nigh thee!"

In tumultuous times, how satisfying to realize the

source of our life and good!

7 minutes ago, padgett said:

Glad to hear you were spared. It is a strange time.

Just a thought but have a fireproof SentrySafe with a handle I can grab that has all of my titles, original software,  and such.

I DID grab our important papers, although I was worried I would have titles to cars that no longer existed. I am relieved, but there is still a chance that the fires could flare up again. There is a pioneer cemetery across the street from our home that is FULL of tall trees. I am surprised it all didn't go up in flames. The guys and gals must have worked EXTRA hard to save the block and I am SO grateful.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Oldsmobile 83 said:

John, It is wonderful news to hear that you and your wife are safe.  It is also great to hear that your home and cars have survived.  Stay safe!!!

Tim

Thanks so much!

Great to hear that Kaiser, Victoria Lynn and others are safe and that your homes and cars are safe so far. I watch the news of your fires, on our tv stations here in Africa and the footage we get showing all the homes, cars, towns and businesses going up in flames is so sad.

Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you folks at this trying time and I send best wishes and prayers tomorrow, as we remember all the people who died in the horror crashes of 9/11, the evil deed done on that day shall never be forgotten.

God bless you all.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, keiser31 said:

looked around and told myself, "what's the use?" 

thanks to you, this is my reaction every time something gets posted to the “what is it” section. 

Glad you and yours are safe. 

• Haha 2

Sure have thought about you and your wife. It was such a relief to come here just now and see your both OK and your home was spared. Been telling the wife that you and that you were the one who sent me the wheel bolts and we were waiting to hear from you. Our prayers have been answered. 

Please take care.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Fossil said:

Sure have thought about you and your wife. It was such a relief to come here just now and see your both OK and your home was spared. Been telling the wife that you and that you were the one who sent me the wheel bolts and we were waiting to hear from you. Our prayers have been answered. 

Please take care.

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

• Like 1

keiser31,

Went through this last year with our fires here in Australia so completely understand your situation, Great to hear that you and your wife are safe and that your home was not affected, our prayers and thoughts are with you in this trying time. Hopefully you will be able to recover from this without too many scars and enjoy your home once again soon.

Take care and stay safe! Best wishes for Down Under.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 8:15 AM, victorialynn2 said:

There are verifiable reports that some fires are being set intentionally. 

This is true.

I have a friend who is a FD dept. head up there. Confirms what Victorialynn says.

This post is from a woman living in Oregon.

Resized_20200911_155645.thumb.jpeg.3d7c3fedb5e137d391e2adcb16f7906c.jpeg

2 hours ago, rocketraider said:

No apology needed. Psychopaths like that do not deserve to live. Cut the head off, throw the body in the fires since he likes it so much.

Why bother to cut the head first ? Bind to the stake and give a VERY slow roasting. That way the monster can get full measure of its delights. Hmmmmmmm.......... long pig, anyone ?   😡😝☠️.     -    CC 

P.S. Did I ever tell you about the time ..................................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So glad to hear that all is OK with your home and cars @keiser31.

A few years ago we were one block away from being evacuated due to fires in our area.

The helicopters were so low over our house you could read the pilot's helmets, they rattled everything as they came over.

I had made plans to stash my Pierce at a friend's house 15 miles down the road so it would be safe.

But it really is tough to go through a mental list of what you really want to try and shove in the car and take off should the need arise.

Stay safe out there and I hope the scumbag looters don't hit your neighborhood before you get back home.

I hear that's been a huge problem in your neck of the woods.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, zepher said:

Stay safe out there and I hope the scumbag looters don't hit your neighborhood before you get back home.

Here is how Johnstown, Pa. handled looters during

one of their floods, this one in 1977, according to a

1987 article in their local paper:

" 'There was some looting in the beginning,' said Mayor Herbert Pfuhl Jr.,

who also held the position during the 1977 flood. 'But then I gave out

the order to our police to shoot anyone seen looting. After that,

we had no problems.' "  And the order was shoot to kill.

Let's hope everyone will respect the tragedy and

not magnify the problem.  The area needs peace.

• Like 7

What an insane way to find out of you homeless or not. It’s a great service that people are posting information for the evacuees. Not knowing would be worse. Glad that our forum friends seem to have all made it through ok.......and best wishes for the thousands of people who did not..........

• Like 2