Our friends in Oregon

Laughing Coyote

I know this isn't car related, but does anyone have a way to contact Keiser and others that live in Oregon? The fires are burning right through his area. I sent him a PM to see if he is okay, but no response. I hope he is Okay. If the post needs to be removed that's fine, just concerned.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I also sent John Keiser a PM last night offering any assistance I might be capable of but haven't heard back.  I visited him a couple of years ago--great guy!  From watching Portland TV coverage last night, it appeared that certainly he had to evacuate yesterday.  This morning the city of Medford (6 miles north, about 83,000 souls) is preparing to evacuate if not already evacuated.  For about 15 years until the early 1990s I was a regular attendee at the Shakespeare festival in Ashland, just south of Phoenix where John lives, and absolutely love the area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I found my self waiting to get up as it wasn't light out yet.

I finally looked at the clock and it is now 9:30.

It is still almost dark, There are fires within 20 miles of me and the smoke is very thick, all the night lights are still on and everything is an eerie dark red outside.

I hear sirens in the distance regularly.

I just tried Keisers phone number (I think he only has a land line) and it went directly to voicemail.

I am 280 miles north of Johns place.

Scary stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Got a text from VL last night, she was asking about John. She lives about 15 mile south of me.

If these fires get to me I would be surprised but am ready to leave if I have to.

There is a lot of vegetation around here  but I try to keep at least a hundred feet clear around the house.

The shop has abandoned fruit trees right behind it and they have become unruly, I have to admit that I have been meaning to get those at least thinned but coming to an agreement with the neighbor has been difficult.

It is still quite dark here, but a bit brighter as the sun gets higher in the sky. The night lights are off now but it still is twilight like.

Here is a pic out of my back door.

IM004695.JPG

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Jack if I looked out my back Door and saw that I would be on the move but then I have no experience with forest fires, just hurricanes. We are praying for all of you in harms way. 

Edited by Robert G. Smits
Spelling (see edit history)

53 minutes ago, JACK M said:

...It is still quite dark here, but a bit brighter as the sun gets higher in the sky. The night lights are off now but it still is twilight like.

Here is a pic out of my back door.

IM004695.JPG

Jack, is all of that morning orange color from the fires?

I'd like to think it's enhanced by a great sunrise,

but we don't have sunrises that vivid in Pennsylvania.

Its the smoke.

When I took that photo this morning I was facing south west so the sun was behind me.

The only other time I experienced this phenomenon was when I was in Mikonos Greece right after Sedam set all those oil wells on fire in Kuwait.

Those fires were said to be about a thousand miles away but the eerie red/orange was similar.

These fires are much closer of coarse and maybe even more vivid.

As I look out now the smoke has lifted a bit. Still there but not as thick. Maybe not as close to the ground would be a better description.

Looks like a sort of pinkish overcast.

Phoenix is inside the evacuation area map  https://jcgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3caa39804db54631a61007180d5ef415

According to local news : https://mailtribune.com/news/top-stories/evacuation-alerts-in-place-for-south-jackson-county

"People who have evacuated from the Phoenix and Talent area should not return due to continued fire activity, the emergency center said."

I grew up in the area and try to keep an eye on local events.

• Thanks 1

Guest Mark McAlpine

Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone at risk in Oregon, Washington, California and elsewhere.  Please be safe--don't risk your lives by staying too long.  The imagery is horrendous.  As heartbreaking as it may be to lose cars, homes, and other possessions to fire, they're replaceable--you're not.  Please keep the Forum up to date with the whereabout of our friends and fellow members.

On the evening news with David Muir the fire report segment highlighted Phoenix, OR.  The neighborhood of which the photos were taken were similar to John's from past forum photos.  The area shown was completely destroyed so hopefully John and other residents are in a safe evacuation area.  Prayers...

Peter J.

• Thanks 1

I also saw the report from Phoenix OR. As you said, the area shown was a built-up area of homes and/or businesses and the scene was complete devastation. My thoughts were immediately of John. I've never met him in person but consider him a friend, having sparred with him many times on this forum trying with few successes to beat him to the punch identifying unknown cars.  I certainly hope all of our forum friends are OK.

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keiser's home, according to information by his

user-name, is Phoenix, Oregon.  Here is a quote from

the Washington Post, and it says there is some damage--

though not total devastation--in that town:

"Phoenix Mayor Chris Luz told the Oregonian that the small town and neighboring community of Talent had been 'decimated' by the fires.  [Talent is 2-3 miles down the road from Phoenix, Oregon.]

'Many businesses have been burned down,' Luz said early Wednesday. 'Certain neighborhoods, including my own, have been burned down. There are many, many, many homes that are gone.'

Karl Koenig, the president of the Oregon State Fire Fighters Council, said in the past, the fires were fought in the forests.

'The challenge now is we’re no longer in the forest. We’re in cities, in small and large communities,' he told The Post.

Zerkel said several of her friends in Phoenix have lost their homes already, while mobile-home parks in nearby Bear Creek were 'gone.' ”

Here is a link to the article: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/09/09/western-fires-live-updates/

News reports say this is a fast-changing situation

in the state.  Thank you, Laughing Coyote, for your

alertness and your good thoughts for everyone affected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi everyone, I am fine. The town where John lives is substantially destroyed. It’s probable that his house is gone, though I pray I’m wrong. More importantly I hope he and his wife are okay and were able to evacuate. 

Where I lived down there is evacuated as is most of Medford and towns south to the CA border. 

There is a huge fire east of Portland that has destroyed many towns and threatens Lake Oswego, Oregon City and many other cities.

The Santiam Fire near Detroit Lake has Destroyed several towns.  Video looks like a war zone on the major highway through there and is impassible. Downed trees, abandoned cars, entire towns burnt. 

All of these fires cover many miles up and down the entire State. This is very likely the worst natural disaster of our state’s history. 

This unprecedented. we normally have, at most, 2 “mega” fires a year. Currently there are 4 simultaneously. When the rains come we will have landslides and that will be horrible also. 

Washington and California are also having terrible fires. It’s almost too much to comprehend. 

There are many stories of people helping people evacuate animals, volunteering at shelters, rescuing people, etc. That is what keeps us going. 💗

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

This unprecedented. we normally have, at most, 2 “mega” fires a year. Currently there are 4 simultaneously. When the rains come we will have landslides and that will be horrible also. 

VL2,

That's exactly what happened here "Down-under" with our simultaneous mega fires earlier this year. They were closely followed by large storms resulting in landslides and other destruction.

I too hope John and his "Missus" are OK.

Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is truly terrifying. I had no idea this was going on, since I don't watch the news. I hope everyone is safe. I have some cousins that just moved to Oregon last year, they went on vacation and loved it so much they moved there. 

• Thanks 1

Vl2, thanks for checking in. We're very concerned about all our forum friends so please keep us updated on anyone you might be in contact with. Hope you will all be ok - please be safe. 

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope we hear from John soon, I know we are all thinking of him. Sadly there are new fires are in Southern Oregon. Hopefully they get them out before they get too large and destructive. There are verifiable reports that some fires are being set intentionally. The one in John’s area that started in Ashland is being investigated. 

My heart hurts, my brain is numb. 

As I watch videos of my friends from around the state dealing with loss of life, animals, properties from the fires... I cry. 

ENOUGH!!!

The only glimmers of hope are the reports of people helping each other. 

We need prayer, we need to help each other. We need compassion and to wake up and not let people divide us. Neighbors are helping each other, we will get through this. 💗

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

I hope we hear from John soon,

x2.. He has so many car friends locally, hopefully one of them can find out. Maybe he would have fled to a car friends home, as where else would he go if he has no family in that State?

I know living things come first before possessions; but if John had enough warning, time-wise, I would think he would drive out with his registered 31 Dodge (and his radiator mascot collection), even if he had to leave a modern car behind.  His high school 31 Dodge was apart in pieces, so let's hope his home was spared. 

The odd thing is that very recently he unburied the high school car and got all the junk moved away from it.  A roll back wrecker could have gotten it out easily, but could he find a wrecker owner to do that under these conditions?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are evacuation centers in the area. My niece was at one. The highways have been shut down on and off so it can be difficult to leave the area. They also have friends in the area. I am sure he will check in when he can, but given the situation and lack of cell phone, it may not be right away. He lists a Skype address. I will see if I can reach him that way. If he has internet access, that might work if he still uses it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a few hundred miles to the North of you but we are getting a lot of smoke from the Washington and Oregon fires. Truly horrible situation you are all facing.  My hopes are that you all come through this ordeal safely. 

Please do look out for each other. Very much hoping to hear John is safe.

Greg

• Thanks 1

With all the protests and unrest in Oregon it's easy for us in the East to numb ourselves to it. Then the fires start, we realise we have old car forum friends there and in danger, and the numbness and indifference goes away.

I don't often cry, but the coverage on today's noon news nearly brought me to tears. I cannot imagine living in such apocalyptic conditions.

We all know the wildfires are a natural cycle and nature's way of cleaning up for new growth. But if any of those fires were intentionally set, that's a mark of a true psychopath.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, dc-8dave said:

Having been to John's place once or twice, I have his physical address and just now I found a satellite image of Phoenix, Oregon taken this morning or yesterday and it looks to me that John's house and garage have survived!! Just north of John's place and to the east looks like scorched earth (it looks like hundreds of mobile homes and small houses), very sad. I am sure John is hunkered down somewhere, it may take him a while to get back with the world if the phone lines were burned on some of the streets.   

I also and trying to get a resident to check his house. They are allowing residents to walk into Phoenix from the Home Depot across the highway. 

• Like 2

Thank you so much, Dave ! We have all been worrying ourselves sick. But of course the tragedy of fires has impacted too many already with more to come. How are the conditions in your corner of WA ? If you draw 2 diagonal lines corner to corner on the WA map, they cross at my mini ranch. Very bad smoke Labor Day. An unprecedented N.E. strong wind put us directly down range from the Bridgeport / Mansfield fire. Very thick smoke with particulate ash in our eyes and lungs. I am very frail, and am worried. Yesterday and today smoke is not too bad. Winds mostly calm here, with an occasional S.E. / S.S.E. light breeze. Here you see what is normally crystal clear, however, way down below in E'burg, old cars are enjoying exercise, and good prices on E-free 87 octane, and the more modern and high performance machinery drink the 92 octane E-free. Oh how I hope this horror ends soon.     -    Carl 

P.S. I have the latest software update on my iPad mini, and have compressed all these pics into about 190 K.B!!!!! Hmm.............. let's see if any significant detail is lost  

P.P.S. Yes, I think too much detail has been lost on the '40 Chev. Let me see if I can post a couple full resolution pictures for comparison. 2.1 M.B. front quarter shot, 2.3 for the interior. You do have to click into higher res on your device/computer to see all the difference, of course. Maybe there is a happy medium.   -   CC 

753384F6-7C22-4FE0-9788-B22C0CD0606A.jpeg

4A1F0F87-FE5B-4EA9-9FBC-9D5BB9E3E1A9.jpeg

412A9E52-DAA2-4EE4-999E-194EB34CACF7.jpeg

A3D51534-07B6-4ECB-85F7-E9483CDFF726.jpeg

E6D660C1-25A0-4B15-92A2-5B769ECDF041.jpeg

9931147B-8D0E-4DB5-8F41-2C22EC379DA4.jpeg

A5D83BFE-95BF-4128-BC61-A76B753658F1.jpeg

CE0CA43E-5685-4EC4-B144-32F66650421B.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Compression comparison (see edit history)
  • Like 1