Ebay Sellers on This Site

George Smolinski

The "Cars For Sale" forum here seems to be attracting more Ebay sellers than previously. Post 1 photo, include the link & don't supply any other information. It would be great if you couldn't post without price & location. I've seen other sites where that info is required; no info, you can't proceed. I've also seen sites that delete ads with improper or missing information. Can we petition the admin to change the posting rules so price & location are required to proceed with your ad?

I just posted a special guitar on E-bay.  In it I provided a link to Youtube which showed a video of someone playing the guitar.  I did it to help the person that might have an interest hear what it can do.  E-bay removed my listing saying i was not allowed to provide outside sources or links.

I then listed two automotive items, of which E-bay provided the category.  E-bay removed the listing, saying I had chosen the wrong category and it was "confusing" to the potential bidders.

And finally, don't ever put your telephone number into a message which would allow a buyer to communicate directly with you, as you  will be banned.  While I somewhat understand that practice, please tell me why large sellers that have a "store" can provide their number?

We have a topic in the Reatta Buy/Sell forum dedicated to just Craigslist ads. All Craigslist cars for sale go into that thread.  That keeps Craigslist ads separate from ads posted by forum members - and if you don't like to see Craigslist ads you just have to skip over one topic.

If Craigslist ads expire or are removed I mark them with  "THIS AD HAS EXPIRED"  so you know the link to Craigslist is no longer valid.  It has worked well for us. Maybe doing something similar for eBay and/or Craigslist ads would be useful in other Buy/Sell forums?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, AJFord54 said:

I just posted a special guitar on E-bay.  In it I provided a link to Youtube which showed a video of someone playing the guitar.  I did it to help the person that might have an interest hear what it can do.  E-bay removed my listing saying i was not allowed to provide outside sources or links.

I then listed two automotive items, of which E-bay provided the category.  E-bay removed the listing, saying I had chosen the wrong category and it was "confusing" to the potential bidders.

And finally, don't ever put your telephone number into a message which would allow a buyer to communicate directly with you, as you  will be banned.  While I somewhat understand that practice, please tell me why large sellers that have a "store" can provide their number?

Ebay doesn't want you cutting a deal outside of their venue. That's all it is. It's why they banned YouTube links, because they don't want anything posted that will send someone to another site (as if people using the internet don't know that they can visit other sites and would otherwise be trapped on eBay forever). They don't want printed links for the same reason. We get auctions kicked sometimes because one of our photos might show our website address. They also don't want phone numbers posted for the same reason--making a deal off-site and cutting them out of their commission. I am able to post a phone number simply because I buy in bulk and have flat-rate listings, so even if someone calls me and buys it, eBay isn't losing a commission--they've already been paid as much as they're going to get. 

It's micro-management of the process to maximize their own revenue. I find it as annoying as the rest of you, but until an alternative comes along with the same reach, there's not much you can do. I will say that I've started using eBay far, far less as a seller with these changes because it does make it much more difficult to reach a buyer and communicate effectively. 

• Like 6

It is a simple issue. Simply follow the forum rules and suggestions regarding Buy/Sell Ads. 

If you don't want to see an ebay auction listing that has been posted on this site, don't click on it. 

• Like 2

I have no problem with the ebay or craigslist links.  Often they aren't even cars any of us own but ones we think someone on here might be interested in because they are unique in price or offering. 

I will say it would be nice on regular listings to have a price and location as that's always the first question that comes to one's mind when they see an interesting car.  No price,  usually means too expensive and move on.  The location thing is a bit annoying as well because with cars,  especially lower priced offerings, the 2500 ride coast to coast can kill the deal as ,much as not being able to look at the car for some people. 

I realize  some posts are from members that don't own the car, but put it on here in case someone here is interested. Sometimes you can't tell one way or the other due to so little information. If you're posting because you don't own it & spotted it elsewhere, there are 2 little words that will clear that up - NOT MINE. I've used them numerous times.

I like the suggestion Ronnie made about CL ads. I suppose Ebay ads could be handled the same way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MCHinson said:

If you don't want to see an ebay auction listing that has been posted on this site, don't click on it. 

Sometimes you don't know it's an Ebay ad UNTIL you click on it. Here's an example I just found:   1913 Reo Roadster (barn fresh)

There isn't even a link to Ebay, just the item number.

Edited by George Smolinski (see edit history)

The only time I really have a problem is when people put an ad for an item on this site and want the interested parties to BID on it. THIS IS NOT A BID SITE. Post a base price or just use Ebay.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Sometimes you don't know it's an Ebay ad UNTIL you click on it. Here's an example I just found:   1913 Reo Roadster (barn fresh)

There isn't even a link to Ebay, just the item number.

If you are interested enough to look at an ad, I don't see why it is a problem that the car you were possibly interested in purchasing is on ebay. If the seller does a poor job of advertising here or elsewhere, then you may want to simply forget about that one. When I see an ad for something that I might be interested in, if the ad is poorly written, that might deter me from doing business with that particular advertiser. 

• Like 2

Some users on this form, actually most on this forum do a good job of explaining what is for sale.  If an eBay link is involved with their post they tell you that.  I agree with the idea that “Not Mine”  should be used when a link is posted for simply telling us of something you saw for sale and thought the rest of us might be interested in knowing about it.

I agree with the idea of posting the location – this is often critical in car sales and I much prefer to see a price. But, here is my dilemma. Suppose you simply have no idea what to ask? This has happened to me in another venue where I was asked to help a relative sell something. It was an item I could easily describe - it falls into an area of antiques that I know well... and in that context, my work is taken seriously. But, it was also something I have no particular interest in owning and have no idea what a reasonable asking price should be. My interest is academic rather than pecuniary. If I were asked to help sell ANY car from the 40s, 50, or 60s I would be in exactly the same situation. Expertise in one area does not translate into expertise in every area. Do you really want to discourage people in that situation from posting what they have for sale here? I realize that nine times out of ten the expectations of the general public are way out of line but that is true whether they post the price or not.

6 hours ago, nick8086 said:

Not to sure why any one if fixed on location and price.. If you want it.. buy it.. 

Price is the biggest factor with location right behind it. The reasons for fixation on the two are some sellers think their car is worth way more than what it really is so why waste time dealing with them and I sure as heck don't want to get all excited about buying a car only to find out it's 2000 miles away from me or somewhere in S. America.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

I agree with the idea of posting the location – this is often critical in car sales and I much prefer to see a price. But, here is my dilemma. Suppose you simply have no idea what to ask? This has happened to me in another venue where I was asked to help a relative sell something. It was an item I could easily describe - it falls into an area of antiques that I know well... and in that context, my work is taken seriously. But, it was also something I have no particular interest in owning and have no idea what a reasonable asking price should be. My interest is academic rather than pecuniary. If I were asked to help sell ANY car from the 40s, 50, or 60s I would be in exactly the same situation. Expertise in one area does not translate into expertise in every area. Do you really want to discourage people in that situation from posting what they have for sale here? I realize that nine times out of ten the expectations of the general public are way out of line but that is true whether they post the price or not.

Actually the best thing to do s like many others have done and post in the general section as to what is this worth as I'm planning on selling it.  We then get info on it,  bat it around between ourselves, show comparable examples and the seller can see how a price was determined that his car should sell for.  Then with that they can take the suggestions and craft an add for that particular car that should get it sold at a price we've determined should be market.  

Of course no one has to take that advice,  but most that don't and price it much higher hoping,  rarely sell the car,  then come back wondering why it didn't sell.

We often even suggest sites besides this one which might help sell the car. 

• Like 2

IMO I think it's fine if you share your own ebay listing here, but I don't think you should be sharing other peoples listings unless it's part of a specific discussion that otherwise benefits the forum. The amount of antique cars available on ebay is staggering. If you're just sharing because you're interested int hat car and everyone did the same, we'd get washed out. But if you're selling your car and want forum members to know and direct them to the auction, that's reasonable marketing within the club. If you want to see what is interesting on ebay otherwise, just go to ebay as part of your daily web crawl.

Most of the cars I look at on Ebay are from links on this site. That's not a lot. But they are ones I might have an interest in.

I rarely go directly to Ebay and do a search for cars.... or anything I don't, specifically, need. Ebay's search has just turned into crap- maybe today's definition of crap shoot. I know there are great wizards whom have mastered those searches and can give all the details. But I just don't care. I won't bother.

Same goes for Craigslist. Believe it or not, I never look at cars listed for 1$.

So a few electrons in the Forum making up a link is fine with me.

Actually the best thing to do is like many others have done and post in the general section as to what is this worth as I'm planning on selling it.  We then get info on it,  bat it around between ourselves, show comparable examples and the seller can see how a price was determined that his kar should sell for.  Then with that they can take the suggestions and craft an add for that particular kar that should get it sold at a price we've determined should be market.  

Well there is a certain station wagon that comes up for sale periodically. When the regulars got to bantering it about, the moderators got together and  deleted most of the posts. 

8 minutes ago, Curti said:

Actually the best thing to do is like many others have done and post in the general section as to what is this worth as I'm planning on selling it.  We then get info on it,  bat it around between ourselves, show comparable examples and the seller can see how a price was determined that his car should sell for.  Then with that they can take the suggestions and craft an add for that particular car that should get it sold at a price we've determined should be market.  

Well there is a certain  MoPar station wagon that comes up for sale periodically. When the regulars got to bantering it about, the Mods got together and  deleted most of the posts. 

Is that nonsense in Curti's post new? The links under the word "car" where if you hover over it it says "Link added by Viglink"? Because that's 100% pure BS. I'm not posting here to allow my words to become advertising for someone else. If this got approved by someone in pursuit of an extra few bucks, rethink it. I'm not investing time and effort to help people here only to have it hijacked by Advance Auto Parts. Don't do this, mods. Please.

I've seen that on other forums. It is some software that inserts advertisements into the text of some random person's post. For example if i posted something about a question on disc brakes, one of the words becomes a link that takes you to an online autoparts retailer selling brake pads.

I suppose that I should try to remember the "Not Mine" thing. I'm forever posting links to C/L and Kijiji ads, but I always say that this or that is something I came across on C/L. I've only once had someone ask me personally about a car offered in such a posting -- thinking that I was selling it. It was a '41 DeSoto three window coupe, in fact. One things for certain,  If I owned one, I wouldn't sell it. I wonder if any cars that I have pointed out have sold to the many HAMB folks who frequent this site?