Which convertibles look better with the top down?

Terry Bond

Do we really need three separate threads on whitewall tires? 

Trying something different here - convertibles were made for top-down use of course.  But, the tops do go up to offer some protection from the weather, and some shade during summer months. But-some cars just don't look that great when tops are UP.  In fact, some don't look that great either when tops are down.  Thoughts and photos welcome. 

Here's my idea of a good looking TOP DOWN car-

1948 MGTC.

Susan-Bond and TC.JPG

• Like 5

I like the airplane (I like the MG, also). But, back to your question: I have seen cars that look ugly with the top up and beautiful with the top down, and vice versa. Maybe  it is hard to design one where it looks beautiful up and down.  You could learn to compromise. Here is a compromise.:)image.jpeg.06c0a8c71d463a4d8f642afbb3153f25.jpeg

• Like 2

Great new topic. There are so many cars that look better with the tops down, not to mention the four door cars with the huge blind area. That is why I kept my top down.

IMG_3037.jpg

• Like 4

I like the look of my 1937 Buick Roadmaster Convertible Phaeton Model 80C both with the top up and with the top down, but I prefer the look (and the experience) of it with the top down more.  I usually put the top up sometime in December and put it back down in February or March. 

DSC_0490 cropped.jpg

DSC_0491.JPG

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

I like the look of my 1937 Buick Roadmaster Convertible Phaeton Model 80C both with the top up and with the top down, but I prefer the look (and the experience) of it with the top down more.  I usually put the top up sometime in December and put it back down in February or March. 

DSC_0490 cropped.jpg

DSC_0491.JPG

Thanks Matt,

I was about to present the almost same two pictures

of my 1937 Roadmaster,

other than it is black with a white top

1937 Buick at St Bernard - right front.JPG

1937 BUICK OPEN - 2012 GLIDDEN - TEXAS.jpg

1937 Buick Left Front SARAH WEDDING.jpg

1937 Buick Left Rear SARAH WEDDING.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 3

What pleases my eye in a convertible is one that doesn't show all its gear. So, the choices would be some of the following;

now you see it-image.jpeg.dca40e4290b5de09752da11893b3cde2.jpeg now you don't1983 Mercedes-Benz 380 SL Hardtop Convertible | Victory Motors of Colorado

now you see it-image.jpeg.9673a62921db7196c1a89bfc21cd82a8.jpeg now you don't-Ford Thunderbird Convertible – RD Classics the look is so clean!

Some of the worst car tops for convertibles would be-image.jpeg.6301cfbf2956f4397dad828d3b7189ab.jpeglooks like a futon!

much better up1971 Volkswagen Beetle – Faces Motorsport  or 1971 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Base | Hagerty Valuation Tools1971 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Convertible #2607150 | Hemmings

image.jpeg.17bf39ccccf9b22ba7729354d12a00eb.jpegbetter>image.jpeg.71d471fccd7eeb4ca94f08b8daf1aaf3.jpeg

• Like 1

Putting a top up or down on a pre war car is a total PITA ( you need to have at least 3 good friends who live local to get the tops up and down without loosing a finger in the top irons )  . Look good - maybe - to windy - YES. I own two cars with open body styles, a decade apart, one with roll up windows one with side curtains .  I like the look with the top up. Yes big blind spots. Here is a version of a Buick shown earlier with the top up. Also some period photos of some cars. I love the convertible victoria body style and in the mid to late 1930s the body style and top would flow design wise to compliment each other. Most convertibles with the top down can look a bit awkward if the top isn't folded properly to keep the profile down ( ie not resemble a bunched up folded mattress) . IMO.

All the cars I show here are in existence.

1940Buickconvsedan001.jpg

BodyType(7)  CONVERTIBLE VICTORIA  - 1933 Lincoln model KB body by Brunn.jpg

Lincoln1935Brunnconv sedan.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

1F06807E-604B-4419-9529-FDE768E918B2.jpe

Please tell is about the garage door, original to the building or recreation? The Doubleday carriage house had three of them back in the 1930's here in town, always thought it was a great design, went well with the v-16 Cadillac Town Car. Bob 

Dont know about these doors but I do work for an estate with a carriage house that has these type of doors. They are bi/tri folding outward with the overhead track. I took them completely apart a few years ago, had the tracks blasted and powder coated, rebuilt the doors and now they work like new. I wish I had the same hardware on my carriage doors at home.

I am more impressed with the copper roof!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Problem with bi-fold doors around here are the starlings. Come spring if they can find an opening they will fill the tracks with grass and straw in a matter of a day or two. The copper will look even better once it ages..............Bob

• Like 1

My aunt and uncle traded their '57 Bel Air coupe (yellow w/black & silver interior) for a white '64 Malibu convertible w/ red interior.  I remember going to the movie theater with my cousins to see Mary Poppins in that car.  If I had been old enough at the time I would have bought that one from them...  ;)

• Like 1

Generally, I think that all convertibles look better with the top down.  In thinking about it, though, several possible exceptions come to mind.  I like the way my '14 Maxwell looks with the top up.  So much, in fact, I can't even find a photo of it with the top down.  I also think that some of the large classic touring cars of the late twenties, especially those with raked windshields (I am thinking Packard speedster) look very good with the top raised.

P4090025.JPG

• Like 2

If they look better with the top up they may as well make it a fixed top!

A few exceptions, I think the big pheatons look good with the top up, I am thinking something like the car that Walt has (sorry, I have seen references but not sure what it is, I am thinking a Packard?).

Yes, my car is a 1930 Packard model 733. It is a 7 passenger! the 7 passenger tourings with the top up can vary as to how they look. The center of the top has to be higher to accommodate people sitting on the jump seats at the area behind the front seat. Some car stylists were able to work this out with the body engineers to not look like you have a big camel hump in that area. , some didn't do as well. Werner Gubitz was Packard's stylist and did a masterful job to keep a low profile on the top when it was up and viewed in profile. I have dimensions etc in line drawings of that shown in the salesman's data book. Also I have a bit of a critical eye art and design  wise because of my profession in the teaching of that as a subject. . I like the look on most 7 passenger tourings with the top up. IF the top is down it can resemble a national parks tour bus that says Pikes Peak on the side.

Here is a photo of my car from the auction catalog where I saw it and it encouraged me to drive a bit north to attend the auction.   Many people do not like 7 passenger touring cars - want the "sport" phaetons , I like big cars that can accommodate a lot of people - can then  bring my friends along. When I bought this car there was only one other guy who was bidding against me - he backed out after one bid. I love the car - am not crazy ( putting that mildly as possible) about the orange paint on the wheels and the stainless steel spokes, to much bling.

733touring001.jpg

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Yes, my car is a 1930 Packard model 733. It is a 7 passenger! the 7 passenger tourings with the top up can vary as to how they look. The center of the top has to be higher to accommodate people sitting on the jump seats at the area behind the front seat. Some car stylists were able to work this out with the body engineers to not look like you have a big camel hump in that area. , some didn't do as well. Werner Gubitz was Packard's stylist and did a masterful job to keep a low profile on the top when it was up and viewed in profile. I have dimensions etc in line drawings of that shown in the salesman's data book. Also I have a bit of a critical eye art and design  wise because of my profession in the teaching of that as a subject. . I like the look on most 7 passenger tourings with the top up. IF the top is down it can resemble a national parks tour bus that says Pikes Peak on the side.

Here is a photo of my car from the auction catalog where I saw it and it encouraged me to drive a bit north to attend the auction.   Many people do not like 7 passenger touring cars - want the "sport" phaetons , I like big cars that can accommodate a lot of people - can then  bring my friends along. When I bought this car there was only one other guy who was bidding against me - he backed out after one bid. I love the car - am not crazy ( putting that mildly as possible) about the orange paint on the wheels and the stainless steel spokes, to much bling.

733touring001.jpg

beautiful car with top up I bet it is just as nice with top down with what looks to be rear passenger screen

• Like 1

I agree completely Walt, those big cars look much better with the top up. Your car is stunning!! Dad had a couple of friends when I was a kid that were Packard collectors. One had 3 or 4, I know one was a very early touring car that dad drove and I rode in for our towns centennial parade. I am still looking for the pic. Same guy also had a beautiful late 20's early 30's roadster. I recall it being some kind of a yellow'ish' colour. The other fellow was a well known collector in the area that had a dozen or so Packards. His wife even toured across the country in a very early one.

• Like 1

I have never put the top down! Need several tall, strong  people to do that who know what they are doing so as not to loose part of a finger , that top and the fabric/cloth are heavy. Yes, it has a toneau windshield mounted to the rear of the front seat ( called an Auster screen in England when made there) . That second windshield helps tremendously with the wind factor when driving down the road so you don't blow your eyebrows off. With the large piece of glass at the center, the wings at the side and everything made of brass it is a very heavy addition to the car.

• Like 5