Ban on Internal Combustion Engines

40mopar

The ban on internal combustion engines is progressing around the world.  Some places are even banning fossil fueled chain saws and lawnmowers

What's going to happen to vintage car owners?  Will the value of our cars plummet? Will we be able to find fuel at an affordable price?

Will it even be legal to drive them?

Make it known to your elected officials that you still want to be able to use your old cars - thus fossil fuels etc are necessary.

Take the time to do so, by letter and in public meetings - don't complain later that "you were busy" so couldn't.  You vote and $ support of their political party keeps them in office.

Be annoying! they do not want bad PR.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone actually read past the inflammatory headlines? These are bans on the sale of new cars and lawn equipment, not the use of existing ones. Do you really think that the entire fleet will be replaced overnight, if at all? And the ban on ICE vehicles in inner cities is fine with me. Do you REALLY want to drive your collector car into downtown NYC or London? I take Metro into DC any time I have to go there.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Although I carry some concerns about these issues, I always feel like the original poster is “shorting the stock”

...........your Dietrich bodied dual cowl phaeton is going to be worthless, but since I’m a nice guy, I’ll give you 25 grand for it......

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

My gut is to delete this thread as political.  The original posts is just not accurate.  We need to support organizations like SEMA Action Network to be sure our interests are not overlooked.  Crying fire isn't helping.

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

These are bans on the sale of new cars and lawn equipment, not the use of existing ones. Do you really think that the entire fleet will be replaced overnight, if at all? And the ban on ICE vehicles in inner cities is fine with me. Do you REALLY want to drive your collector car into downtown NYC or London? I take Metro into DC any time I have to go there.

Well Said!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

28 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

Do you REALLY want to drive your collector car into downtown NYC or London? I take Metro into DC any time I have to go there.

I don't want to drive ANYTHING in a big city!😬

Also perfectly happy living 250 miles from DC and having no reason or excuse to go there. But I'm one who'll drive 100 miles out of the way to avoid going anywhere near the place. I even try to avoid Richmond and Raleigh if possible.

If my ICE lawn equipment gets outlawed I suppose I'll have to buy a herd of goats🐐. Then some idealist will find the smell and "emissions" offensive and the place will return to wild like it was before the 1746 land grant...

🙂

• Haha 2

I have three goats who emit greenhouse gasses, but on the plus side, they create natural fertilizer and consume vast amounts of __________ (<--- Insert anything here that may be edible and many things that are actually not edible but they try anyway.)

I would be willing to bet that goats have a negative carbon footprint, even with their greenhouse gas emissions.  I highly recommend them over whatever your ICE lawn equipment.

4 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

I don't want to drive ANYTHING in a big city!😬

Also perfectly happy living 250 miles from DC and having no reason or excuse to go there. But I'm one who'll drive 100 miles out of the way to avoid going anywhere near the place. I even try to avoid Richmond and Raleigh if possible.

If my ICE lawn equipment gets outlawed I suppose I'll have to buy a herd of goats🐐. Then some idealist will find the smell and "emissions" offensive and the place will return to wild like it was before the 1746 land grant...

🙂

37 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

🙂

I have to admit that last year I bought a Dewalt battery lawnmower. I use the tractor for majority of the mowed area, but there are always areas around the house that need a push mower. My wife wanted the electric. I tried really hard to hate it, but the reality is that it does the job with much less fuss and noise than my old mower. Battery life is much better than I expected. Plus, I don't have to rebuild the carb every spring because of the crappy gas stuck in it over the winter. Extra bonus, the batteries work with my power tools, and 9 A-hr goes a long way in a drill or even a sawzall.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

I have to admit that last year I bought a Dewalt battery lawnmower. I use the tractor for majority of the mowed area, but there are always areas around the house that need a push mower. My wife wanted the electric. I tried really hard to hate it, but the reality is that it does the job with much less fuss and noise than my old mower. Battery life is much better than I expected. Plus, I don't have to rebuild the carb every spring because of the crappy gas stuck in it over the winter. Extra bonus, the batteries work with my power tools, and 9 A-hr goes a long way in a drill or even a sawzall.

I have to agree Joe. I have not tried the lawn mower yet the gas lawnmower has kept on going. The battery powered snow blower is a dream! 

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

Do you REALLY want to drive your collector car into downtown NYC 

I actually do, but only once to accomplish something I've been wanting to do for decades.

OTOH, it is a loooong road trip from Riverside, CA (and back), so I hope to combine it with other interesting stops along the way.

Maybe when The Met produces another/next "Ring"-cycle ?

From what I gather, what consumers worldwide have spent on new cars over the last five years is in the quadrillions, and the vast majority have been gas/diesel powered. Those cars and trucks may have a life of 20 years years or more. Who knows how much railroads have invested in diesel powered locomotives. And since the airline industry or military won't be replacing their hyper-expensive aircraft with electric planes anytime soon, I'm guessing fossil fuels will be with us for a while.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, ... and Professor said:

If you can dream it up, or nightmare it up, it probably exists already.  🙂

Rule 30 of the Internet Rules says this - 30. No real limits of any kind apply here — not even the sky

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ... and Professor said:

I have three goats who emit greenhouse gasses, but on the plus side, they create natural fertilizer and consume vast amounts of __________ (<--- Insert anything here that may be edible and many things that are actually not edible but they try anyway.)

I would be willing to bet that goats have a negative carbon footprint, even with their greenhouse gas emissions.  I highly recommend them over whatever your ICE lawn equipment.

And when they finally wear out they still make a wonderful Curry for dinner.......  Yea, Baaad, that reminds me of another dish for Tuesday.....

• Haha 1

That's why they sell new ones.

That won't last any longer than the old ones!🙂

I've noticed a lot of battery-operated tools come in a nice set of several handy tools- without batteries, which are extra cost and sometimes as much as the set of tools is.

Wait'll you have to replace your Super-Lectric vehicle's batteries. Might make them $130 12v look like a bargain!

I have built up a pretty good collection of DeWalt 20V tools over the past couple of years. And I am considering an electric car of some sort in the next year or two.

Some say the inability to accept change in the world around you is an indication of impending death. If one doesn't fit in they die. I can understand that and fairly sure I have seen examples.

On the practical side, my nephew has about 10 years experience with Prius cars both new and well worn. Knowledge is the key. Selecting an EV with a modular battery lets you diagnose the condition and only replace the failed module at around $250 each. Hardly a news headline item but it does give a chance for "Knowledge-1, ignorance-0". "The choice is yours."

BTW. I have 5 DeWalt batteries and 4 chargers. They were fairly inexpensive or came with a good tool deal. All those good deals were found online. Can you imagine there are still some people whom refuse to buy things online! But there are getting to be less of them.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

I have found that replacing the batteries in my electric tools is getting annoying since the batteries do not last as long as I would like.

Yup, I have to spend some out after a few years of battery service. (50 bucks per battery to have new cells installed)

My battery powered stuff is all Snapon and I like them. 

I prefer to keep them maintained than to replace them. I hate it but I do it.

16 minutes ago, junkyardjeff said:

Batteries in tools that quit working are bad enough but would hate to be stranded in a electric car out of town when the battery quits or no charging stations near by.  Road side assistance for electric cars will be a gas powered truck pulling a gas or diesel generator.

Jeff,

The technology on the electric vehicles is a little more advanced then an battery operated tool. I don't think the operator needs to drive around looking for charging stations. When I see people walking down the road with a gas can makes me wonder. who even travels with a gas can? Do they plan on running out of gas?

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, John348 said:

who even travels with a gas can? Do they plan on running out of gas?

In some neighborhoods it is the sign of a wealthy man to own his own jumper cables.

"Hey Man! Do you have a set of jumper cables I can borrow?"

My first , high school MG had a gas gauge that didn't work. Money was very tight, Saturday work only . I always kept a small gas can with a gallon or so of gas in the trunk. Got me to a gas station on a few occasions. Summer work allowed me to buy a new sending unit.

48 minutes ago, junkyardjeff said:

Batteries in tools that quit working are bad enough but would hate to be stranded in a electric car out of town when the battery quits or no charging stations near by.  Road side assistance for electric cars will be a gas powered truck pulling a gas or diesel generator.

I gather that roadside assistance for EVs that run out of charge is mostly a flatbed to a charging station (although I gather it could be an EV flatbed!).  According to this story, at least, today's Teslas will run for about 10-20 miles after the battery goes to "zero," to give you a bit of a buffer to make sure you get to a charger.  https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/what-happens-when-your-tesla-dies.html

10 minutes ago, 1935Packard said:

I gather that roadside assistance for EVs that run out of charge is mostly a flatbed to a charging station (although I gather it could be an EV flatbed!).  According to this story, at least, today's Teslas will run for about 10-20 miles after the battery goes to "zero," to give you a bit of a buffer to make sure you get to a charger.  https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/what-happens-when-your-tesla-dies.html

Yes, and along the way it will do it’s best to conserve the battery charge that is left by scaling back some functions like rapid acceleration response and air conditioning setting.

On 1/5/2022 at 12:17 PM, TAKerry said:

Guess I will have to start chopping wood to heat my house!

I already do that. In fact I've heated mostly with wood for the last 23 years. It's a much better quality heat than any furnace can provide. I also have the extra enjoyment of going outside and it smells like a smokehouse.