A fellow member and antique car enthusiast hurt in an accident

chistech

Thought I’d ask for people to keep a really good guy and antique car owner in your thoughts and prayers. He was injured a few days ago when he was making a left hand turn coming back from a parade leading a line of traffic. An impatient motorcyclist decided to pass the whole line of cars and never saw Bob’s directional on, striking the model A around the drivers side fender spare and spinning the whole car almost 360d around. The fuel tank on the motorcycle ruptured and Bob was sprayed with fuel on his face, arms and left leg. The fuel caught fire, Bob was badly burned, and he was sent to a burn facility. The cyclist is in critical condition. Bob is a good friend and just like anyone of us, out enjoying his car when tragedy struck.  He will need surgery for his burns and is currently hospitalized recovering.

• Thanks 7

Let's pray that Bob's recovery goes well and with as little pain as possible. The motorcyclist should not be allowed to drive any form of transportation again and be required to put lots  of time in working with people who have suffered /encountered severe burns .

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I know that following a slow car can be frustrating. That is why I always try to make it easy for other people to pass me in a safe manor when I drive my antiques. However, a slow car ahead does not excuse reckless passing! I see and pass numerous 'slow' cars almost every day.  And they are almost always slow drivers in modern cars! Whether the 'slow' car is an antique or a modern car should make no difference!

I hope the reckless rider understands that it was his poor judgement and arrogant impatience that caused this and takes his needed recovery in an appropriate way.

Sympathy, thoughts and prayers out to your good friend. May he mend quickly and soon enjoy driving his antiques again.

• Thanks 1

Sad to hear this but this type crash is becoming more and more common, or is around here.

Seems bikers of all people should know they have to be more aware of surrounding traffic, for their own safety. Passing a line of traffic on what I gather was a two lane road was pure stupidity.

Was is a big touring bike or a crotchrocket? Crotchrockets make me nervous and always have because of their acceleration capabilities. They also attract adrenaline junkies who often have a whole lot more bike than they can handle.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the well wishes guys. I’m trying to find out more. I understand there’s a way a “e-card” can be sent to him at the hospital. I’ll get that information and post it here. I’m sure he’d really appreciate hearing from everyone. His name is Bob Whitmoyer from Bloomsbury PA. He has a few antique car including a 30’ chevy 4dr sedan I restored for him. He got his 31’ A 5 window coupe a year or two ago and was really happy he picked it up. I don’t know the condition of it but understand the fire also burned the paint on the rumble lid too. It seem the bike went over the car spilling fuel at the point of impact and as it went over the car. The bike ended up near the rear of the car and it all was on fire. Please understand that I was told this by a family member and some things I might have a little wrong as I wasn’t there but it’s what I understood from our conversation.

• Like 2

My thoughts and prayers for Bob and his family also.

Motorcyclist need to follow the same laws and rules as the rest of us.

That driver should be responsible for or their insurance company should pay for everything.

They should also have their driving privilege's revoked forever.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 9F94M567042 said:

My thoughts and prayers for Bob and his family also.

Motorcyclist need to follow the same laws and rules as the rest of us.

That driver should be responsible for or their insurance company should pay for everything.

They should also have their driving privilege's revoked forever.

Good and responsible riders do. Some motorcycle riders make mistakes, likewise automobile drivers.  I’m paralyzed for life from an automobile driver who turned into the path of my motorcycle.  Pray for the recovery of all involved.  

• Like 2

I hope Bob's recovery goes well and with as little discomfort as possible.

Prayers for Bob and his family during this very difficult time.

Prayers for Bob's full recovery and to minimize his pain. Burns are especially painful.

Prayers, also, for the skill of Bob's surgeons !

(card sent)

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Every time I pass that amazing, sprawling facility at exit 55 off the 78, including down and back to the just completed Chryslers @ Carlisle from Long Island,

So most recently at 9:00 tonight (less than 3 hours ago!!!),

I always tap my heart three times, and send get well kisses, accordingly,

to all the patients, therein !!!

Hopefully, Bob will get God's Love -- now -- and I (unknowingly) helped !!

Yours , Craig....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DennyC said:

I am also friends with Bob.  Here is a link to the e-card.  https://www.lvhn.org/send-card

Last name Whitmoyer

Room number 3K35

Location LVH-Cedar Crest

The last I heard he was in an induced coma so he may not see any well wishes for a while.  The incident occurred on July 4th.

Thanks for posting this Denny. I spoke with Kevin and he told me about the e card but I had no room number or  other info to go about sending it.

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

Sometimes in the traffic we have now, the safer, if less convenient gambit is to "go right before going left".  What that means is going beyond one's would-be cross traffic left-hand turn, turning right at a traffic light control corner or into a parking lot where a side street with a traffic light controlled corner can be accessed.  Then back to the traffic light, turn left to head back to your original intended left-hand turn.  Think of it in plan view as a cotter pin shaped maneuver.  Whether this tactic saves an accident we'll never know for sure but its worth practicing when the situation warrants it. 

Terrible news. I hope Bob comes back to the road soon. I wish him prompt recovery. 

The lack of patience in general traffic is very dangerous to normal drivers and pedestrians, but even worse to an antique car driver, where braking and turning responses are much slower, and safety systems are very limited. Unfortunatelly, we need to double the attention in the road, and keep lights on during daylight also, so better have our 6v systems in good order.