Musk's Cyber Truck speed bump

30DodgePanel

43 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

How did the world survive without "armored glass" electric butt ugly trucks? What did it cost to produce another item we don't need? Bob 

Why do you need armored glass?  Is he expecting to sell a bunch of them to the Taliban?  I could see a chip/ crack proof Windshield,  that would be nice,  but beyond that not sure the reasoning unless they are afraid all us oil burners will go Mad Max on them? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Why do you need armored glass?  Is he expecting to sell a bunch of them to the Taliban?  I could see a chip/ crack proof Windshield,  that would be nice,  but beyond that not sure the reasoning unless they are afraid all us oil burners will go Mad Max on them? 

I think Elon is a man of extremes. And when the thought of chip proof glass comes up, I imagine him saying, “Why not go all out and make it armored, we can tell the consumer they are getting the absolute best available today”.

Obviously that’s not true. 

On on a side note, it looks like Back to the Future Part II will only be about 5 or 6 years off on the future prediction. The truck fits right with that motif. 

3 minutes ago, DB26 said:

On on a side note, it looks like Back to the Future Part II will only be about 5 or 6 years off on the future prediction. The truck fits right with that motif. 

Maybe that's the whole hype.  You would make more off the movie sales than the truck.  Might be the only way to sell the truck. 

32 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Did you notice the headlights on that thing? Maybe after they burn the paint off your trunk lid or tail gate there would be need for "armor glass" . Bob 

• Haha 1

Gota love the Ford ad's. Built Ford tough with Military grade aluminum.  Next time I need to build something I am going to waltz down to my local metal supplier and get some of that military stuff.  Aluminum Association designation ? or just good old fashioned marketing hype. Seems to me

the military probably uses nearly every grade of aluminum produced in one product or another. Military grade aluminum canteens ?  Or military grade ground to air missile parts ? It's the military so most likely the same thing...not.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1

Staver, technically Ford isn't lying about their claim of Military Grade Aluminum. Everything the government purchases for the military must meet what's known as Mil-Spec (Military Specifications) or Mil-Std, (Military Standard). That being said, the aluminum that the government  buys, is the exact same stuff we can buy at our metal supply and meets their specifications. It's simply a play on words to impress the gullible, general public and sell cars. For that matter, Chevy can claim that the steel they use is "Military Grade" steel. 

• Thanks 1

Got news for them, it would be hard to define that thing as a "truck."  They'd do better trying to brand it as something totally different.  Shades of the Pontiac Aztec-and we all know what became of Pontiac shortly after that ugly thing hit the marketplace!

Terry

54 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Got news for them, it would be hard to define that thing as a "truck."  They'd do better trying to brand it as something totally different.  Shades of the Pontiac Aztec-and we all know what became of Pontiac shortly after that ugly thing hit the marketplace!

Terry

True but at least the Aztec had a successful comeback in the Breaking Bad series... 

• Haha 1

I'm sure Karl Benz, Gottlieb Daimler, Ransom Eli Olds, Henry Ford and most other early automotive pioneers were laughed at and bore the brunt of jokes from many sceptics (and horse owners/dealers) who would not/could not foresee the future role of automotive transportation in changing the world around them. As this site/forum in many ways pays homage to these now revered pioneers, I find it peculiar that some AACA members (especially in this thread and some similarly focused ones), gleefully celebrate hiccups by modern day "pioneers", or so openly dump on their attempts to advance transportation technology. I'm not at all opposed to fair comment, even hostile resistance to change, but ask all readers to consider one fact: If entrepreneurs/"pioneers" in North America do not succeed in this endeavor, some one else will. Will that make you happier? I think not.

BTW, they say any publicity is good publicity. Had it not been for the broken glass hiccup, most Americans would likely not have even heard of the Tesla Cyber Truck. So perhaps a hiccup can be good news. I often find a spoonful of sugar helps. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mercer09 said:

Everything that guy comes out with is a joke. I'm surprised so few people notice.

couldnt agree more........... yet he is a billionaire and you and I arent. 

at least Im not.........

I have seen interviews where he explained the jokes. A while back he offered souvenir flame throwers. This was a gag he got from the movie Spaceballs. In the movie there was a gift shop, the best selling item was a flame thrower "the kids love it!". Musk thought this was funny so he made a Tesla flame thrower - actually a torch used for sealing rubber membrane roofs, relabeled "Not A Flame Thrower". Then there is the Boring Company. The joke here is obvious. He claims he has a giant boring machine digging a tunnel miles long under Los Angeles (or was it Las Vegas?}. Do you have any idea what it would take to get permission from every property owner to tunnel under their property, and the liability for damaged foundations, wells, water pipes, sewer pipes, electrical cables etc etc etc? I'm not sure which is more absurd, the idea of a subway to nowhere in Las Vegas which doesn't need it, or one in a notorious earthquake zone like Los Angeles.

You could go on and on. The only business he has that is not a complete joke is Tesla cars, and he didn't start that, and it is only in business thanks to billions in government subsidies.

I like to think of the new truck with broken windows as another of his jokes. If he is really serious about it then he has  lost his mind.

The unplanned glass breakage setup the best series of events for name recognition and product display.  If everything went as planned no one outside of those following EV products would have seen it.  When you figure how much free TV and print exposure were generated it’s one of the best wrong things that could have happened for Tesla.

• Thanks 1

Bad publicity is usually not good for products unless they tell you you can't or shouldn't buy it,  then it usually helps.  To tell someone you have the best and it comes up short in a test right before your eyes then, definitely not helpful. 

Think of a commercial with a new Dodge Muscle car showing you how bad it is, then getting dusted by a young kid in a live broadcast driving some 20 year old tuner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

not sure I agree Terry.

everytime one catches on fire, is that a good thing? free publicity and all?

lol

Bunch of old guys who never say they would own one are taking about it now on a forum about old cars.   News like that is short lived anyway and does indeed make your name visible in the public eye.  If you never heard of Tesla before this, you have now.  If you follow the news you will also learn the same truck was used to take journalists for a ride that night after the glass was quickly replaced.  Many  thought it rode well and and was roomy inside despite the obvious unique cab design.  Not a totally bad PR event overall.

And by the way, how many non electric cars catch fire every day for no apparent reason?  No one has given up driving cars over fear of it happening.  More new Samsung smart phones burned up in the premier of the Galaxy note whatever it was and yet the replacement sells well.  We’ll have to see how the rest of the plan plays out.  If nothing else every futuristic science fiction movie will have one or more in it just like when Toyota brought out that futuristic minivan many years ago.  

History has shown a backlash when choices are limited and we are told what to think do or buy and not given options we want.  As much as he thinks this is what people want based on info from polls probably (and we know how accurate those can be) People will really show you where their interest lies with their pocket book.  That's why Ford is making so many trucks,  because that's what people are buying.  Same reason the Station wagon faded away for the most part. 

• Like 2

Station wagon was killed by the minivan, minivan was severely injured by the resurgence of the SUV, which in itself has been up and down.  Pickups and big SUVs were hard to give away when gas prices went crazy.  Everybody wanted a Honda or VW Rabbit or Toyota back then.  Now cars are out, pickups and smaller SUVs are in and the next hot thing  is....?  Pickups are cash cows for the industry so the manufacturers will concentrate on them until the next fad comes along.

I think there is going to be a pretty good demand for trucks for a while.  Yes the yuppies stop buying them when gas goes up but people that need to work,  still need a truck. The rest buy them for recreation so the cost of gas isn't a huge factor as they aren't commuting with them.  People driving themselves 30 to 60 miles one way to work,  yes it affect them ,  unless they need the payload capacity when they get there. 

trucks are here to stay.America has some of the cheapest gasoline prices in the world.

Americans as a whole, have far more discretionary income.

if tesla were to make taxis, they would need to resolve the quick charge turnaround issue- or else, everyone would need to own twice as many battery packs to keep going- with their short range.

2 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Does it need to go through the NHTSA crash testing program now to get certified for sale?

http://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/TESLA/MODEL%2520X%2520P100D/SUV/AWD

I have to question if this thing will pass the crash testing as well, sure door skins dent but that's all part of the crush zones on modern vehicles, they take the impact instead of you!  You have to wonder if the structure is that stiff what will happen to the passengers inside in a crash.

Take a good look at the introduction videos, the guy swinging the sledge looks like he's never swung one before.  Not to mention the glass broken by the ball drop did not look like normal tempered automotive glass in the way that it broke and then when they dropped the ball from height, the armored glass wasn't clamped and had no tension on it.  You can actually see the glass bounce.

Musk in claiming nearly 150 000 presale orders at $100 each, have to wonder how many will translate into full orders.  https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/23/cars/cybertruck-tesla-preorders/index.html

It would be interesting to know real world range under load and in the winter neither of which treat electrics very well.

18 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

trucks are here to stay.America has some of the cheapest gasoline prices in the world.

Americans as a whole, have far more discretionary income.

if tesla were to make taxis, they would need to resolve the quick charge turnaround issue- or else, everyone would need to own twice as many battery packs to keep going- with their short range.

Ok,  here you go.  Ask and you shall learn.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-model-3-taxi-cab-new-york-city/

52 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I think there is going to be a pretty good demand for trucks for a while.  Yes the yuppies stop buying them when gas goes up but people that need to work,  still need a truck. The rest buy them for recreation so the cost of gas isn't a huge factor as they aren't commuting with them.  People driving themselves 30 to 60 miles one way to work,  yes it affect them ,  unless they need the payload capacity when they get there. 

My former truck for work and hauling Boy Scout gear to campouts.  Nothing fancy compared to today’s designer pickups.

E2DD1CCC-10B8-47C4-B84F-66F27509844A.jpeg

Terry,

your truck is the kind of truck I used to buy also.

interesting in that, my parents owned a small 3 bdrm one bath ranch that four of us shared.

todays kids want so much more on a beer budget.........................!  four bedrooms, great room living room 3 baths 2 fireplaces and the three car garage.....................

we dreamt of owning A garage.

• Like 1

Musk talks a good game, he's brash, but he often actually delivers. Ever seen his SpaceX rocket land using retro-rockets? I wouldn't bet he never lands a ship on Mars. I see Tesla cars around here every day. Remember Fiskar? The giant battery factory is actually being built. The Hyperloop underground train might be crazy, but I admire his tenacity. 

Phil

12 hours ago, TerryB said:

Ok,  here you go.  Ask and you shall learn.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-model-3-taxi-cab-new-york-city/

12 hours ago, TerryB said:

Or this, if you don’t follow what’s happening.  

https://ww.electrek.co/2019/08/02/tesla-fleet-taxi-columbus/

Should be VERY interesting to see how Cold Weather will reduce the range on these cabs. If they lose 40-50% of their range as some owners and testing have reported, one has to wonder how well suited EV cabs will be in cold climates like NYC and Columbus. For cab companies the real question is how long will a Tesla cab last on the streets in cold weather until is needs to be charged and then how long will is be off the street (NOT earning any $$$$$) while it is charged? Most large city cabs run 24x7x365 so the amount of time an EV cab is NOT earning $$$$ will impact the vehicle's overall profitability.

Tesla and other electric car batteries lose 40% of their range in extremely cold weather: AAA

If you fast forward to near the end of the following video you will see that this teals owner lost 42% of his range.. This is just one of MANY videos that illustrate the range loss of Tesla vehicles in COLD weather.

Then what happens when a Tesla cab has an accident and needs repairs? How long will the cab be off the road while awaiting parts and repairs and NOT earning $$$$?

The thing about owning a Tesla no one talks about — nightmarish repair delays

• Thanks 1