How long have you been restoring your car?

alsancle

Guest BillP

Mark Huston, that Stude is beautiful. There are many other great looking cars here. The running restoration is a good approach. As for me, I drove my 70 El Camino back from Texas 8 or 10 years ago and have fairly successfully avoided filling the bed with old tires, dog crates, boxes of parts and other debris as it slumbers in the barn. On reflection, I think this period would be called pre-restoration and thus not be counted in the tally of hours (or years) required. 

Comes down to...

• Time
  • Money
  • Resources
  • Commitment/ Dedication

working full time 45+ hours a week, 3 kids, not much FREE TIME to work on the car. sleep in the free time

on my 1929 Chevrolet, going about 3 years now, was partially restored when i got it, most of that undone, to be redone correctly !!

Edited by BearsFan315 (see edit history)

I really like this thread... I'm glad I thought of it :)

I have been going on this for about 10 years sort of.  My dad had it for 40 before that and did nothing with it.  I spent the first 5 collecting parts and have been slowly moving on the restoration the last 5.

IMG_1081_Web.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Guys ,

I read this post with interest and amazement , and I really commend the dedication , love and huge amount of time you restorers commit to giving these beautiful cars another life.

i agree  it's hardly possible to do it for the money , I did a simple calculation 2500 hours even at a minimum of 10 bucks  and hour is $25k , but the skills required should be worth at least $40/50 so unless your restoring a rare motoring icon and can sell for a fortune it will never pay. I look at the prices for my favourite a 53 skylark and now relise there not so crazy.

i have a frame off restored 53 special convertible  and now think it was cheap beacause if you say minimum $25k plus replaced parts it should have cost 40/ 50k at least but it wasn't , so I thank the previous owner for the all the work done especially if he did it himself.

keep posting pics of progress and completed projects, love em.

cheers

pilgrim

My first post on the "Our Cars and Restoration Projects" forum for my 1913 Metz was Dec. 26, 2010. I'm still working on the car, but the restoration blog kind of forces me to complete the job. My personal opinion is that 90% of the old cars sold are not restored.

Phil

The ones that I think are worst at completing are cars that are cut up to be made into a hot rod and the person that is going to redo the car runs out of money, talent, ambition, knowledge, and gets in over their head and good cars then end up as a pile of parts or scrap.

I saw this on a good clean Model A that the perpetrators used a new plasma cutter to take the car apart to put on disc brakes, small block Chevy, etc, etc....  This was a rust free car that was drivable.   I would have just cleaned up the car, got it running, new tires and start driving it!

1 hour ago, Larry Schramm said:

The ones that I think are worst at completing are cars that are cut up to be made into a hot rod and the person that is going to redo the car runs out of money, talent, ambition, knowledge, and gets in over their head and good cars then end up as a pile of parts or scrap.

I agree Larry; that is the worst because it is destructive by nature.  The guy leaving a car sitting outside for 20 years because “I am going to restore it someday” is bad enough but at least it is still (hopefully) all in one piece.  When someone tears into a car with insufficient money, knowledge, etc. etc. and it becomes a cut up pile of parts it is unlikely to end up as anything above possibly a rat rod. 

I contend that stock or modified a car project above all requires patience and educating oneself to turn out a quality job, and that patience is the downfall of most all failed projects, along with associated arrogance and hubris.  I have 35 years of old car experience and would not think of entering into any project of any size without service manuals, yet amateurs (and possibly some pros) do it all the time because they think can wing it (patience, arrogance, hubris).  I would advise anyone that they can do a quality job IF they take the time to learn about the car, learn about the work to be performed, learn what a quality job entails and plan accordingly.   But 90% of people seem to drop the ball there.  You do not have to have a full professional shop, you can often do it in a garage, but you can’t disassemble and paint a car outside.  You do not have to have every tool in the Snap On catalog but you do have to have resources to get necessary equipment to perform the job at hand safely and effectively.  Above all you can’t tear one apart and restore it without research and education and you can’t do a proper restoration in 6 weeks, no matter who you are, Todd C         

• Like 1

i bought a 1931 devaux sport coupe in 1969 my dad told me dont start on it until you find the missing parts and the wrong parts that had been changed,last year i finally found the right dash knobs,its been in storage all this time,ive done other restos in the years but this one has always haunted me because i promised the owner i bought it from that i would restore it and not make a hot rod,also have a 32 devaux coupe i bought about 15 years ago setting beside it waiting,ill have all my other projects done this year and will start on the 31,     dave

• Like 1

In the late 1970s I bought a 1920 Overland 4 out of a barn.. The previous owner had disassembled it for restoration (or whatever it was called then) in 1937. Only thing he got done was carving a beautiful wood pattern to have a higher compression head cast from aluminum. In the late 1980s I bought a 1923 Harley with a sidecar. The seller's brother had disassembled it for restoration, also in 1937 coincidentally. Still had the 1937 PA license plate attached.

I started with some tattered remains of a 32 ford that I've had for 10 years.  Many times, it sat for a year or two without touching it.

Today, I finished hooking up the rear brakes and e-brake, got it running to test brakes and the just installed heater and defroster...I was going to drive up to the house near the garden hose for a wash... I ended up going up to the end of the driveway....waited for a lot of traffic to clear, and drove it on a state road for the first time in probably many decades.  I only went from our main driveway to our older abandoned driveway LOL....but it did finally "see the pavement"  It's almost done, and I should be able to register it in 2 months. (I hope).

I do now know why basket case junk does not sell these days, at any price.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest buggybruiser

I have at 1971 Lincoln Mark III (most favorite car in the world I might add) that I bought in Dec. of '99, and I'm just now rebuilding the engine and tranny (started in June of 2016). Once that is done I have some rusty  body panels that need to be repaired, and after that some minor issues that I can handle pretty much by myself. Drove it on a regular basis the first 3 or 4 years I had it, but then real life set in, started building our house in 2001, started a business that failed in 2005, wife took ill and could'nt work for a few years; top that with three boys at home who EAT anything that's not moving, there just was'nt much left for the old girl so I let here sit in the garage for 8 long years. But things are better now so I'm hoping I can get her on the road her in the near futre.

• 3 months later...

I bought a 69 year old Cadillac in 1973 with the intent of restoring it someday. Well, now I have a 112 year old car that still needs restoring. It is original and may stay that way. Never did like to rush into anything without giving it some thought. Happy Holidays !!!

• Like 3

In 1988 I got a 48 Chrysler Town and Country from my Father who had bought it new from Martin Motors in Harrisburg Pa. The car was in the 72 flood up to the dash. My brother in-law started "restoring " it in 1976 and then life got in his way and he quit. When I got it the interior was out and the engine was partially apart. I stripped the car to the frame and painted each component as it went back together. By 1991 I had the steel floor pan and driveline together and running. Until 1995 I had some of the wood repaired/replaced and all of it mounted back on the car temporarily for fitting. Then my father died and my desire to get it running to drive it with him was gone. Life got in my way with building a new home and Garage and raising children. I have not touched the car since 1995 other than to drive it into the new storage part of my garage and buy parts at swap meets for it. Along the way I have purchased another chicken coup 47 Town and Country from a sale in Bloomsburg and a 26 model T from an uncle and a 27 Commander. I will never "restore" another car, for driving them has become my pleasure, looking at a restored car does not do anything for me personally if worrying that something might put a mark on it takes all the pleasure away from the driving part that I love most. 2018 will be 30 years since I continued the "restoration"and maybe I will get to finish it, for retirement is around the corner. If by chance I do not get to finish someone else will have an opportunity to get a Garage find with years of parts collection to build and enjoy the way they wish like I have enjoyed my style of the old car hobby over the years. Best wishes for the holiday to all you old car nuts like me out there.

• Like 1

I just finally packed it in on my 1979 Avanti II. Close to 4 years of on/off work and loss of work space made the decision for me. Compared to most of you I'm a early quitter!:D

I want a 1956 Meteor Crown Victoria next, but have to sell 4 cars to do so. I'm looking at a turnkey driver needing a light refurb. That will take me almost full circle back to when I had one at 15 years old. I'm 61 now

• 1 year later...
On 7/5/2016 at 1:02 PM, Bob Zetnick said:

Bought my '29 Dodge w/ paper route money in '71...from '73-'77 I did a restoration the best I could w/ my low funds and drove her everywhere, including to college.....she sat for about 20 years during career and several moves and I started doing a 2nd restoration on her in '08. Here's a photo of her just last week getting back from paint & bodywork. I still have chrome, upholstery and other small things to do and hope to have her finished for more driving by the end of the year.

DSCN4967.JPG

I have one just like it I don't know how stock mine is ,Me and my grandpa restored it in 1979-80 and I would not change a thing about how it is, but I am willing to take all the pictures of it just tell me its just in my shop out side -kyle 

4 hours ago, sligermachine said:

I have one just like it I don't know how stock mine is ,Me and my grandpa restored it in 1979-80 and I would not change a thing about how it is, but I am willing to take all the pictures of it just tell me its just in my shop out side -kyle 

Hi Kyle, , been restoring this car for about 10 years now......the car was in bad shape, work and family matters took over at times. It's going to the upholstery shop this week. If you have any interior photos of your car I would really appreciate it; details especially. I'd like to think this will be done by summer! Fingers crossed!

Edited by Bob Zetnick (see edit history)

'59 Invicta coupe, bought in '89, started in '95- that's 22 years. Got about 55% done (body off frame, powertrain modifications), then took about a 14 year break, so about 8 years hands-on. Probably will be another 5-9 years, life is allowing me to start up again on it this spring.

When I bought my 1937 Ford in 2012, I intended on restoring it to new.  The car had been in storage since the early 1960s. 

Since the car was not running or drivable, my wife was suspicious and unimpressed. 

I began cleaning up the car and was amazed at how original the car was. 

I decided to get the car safe and streetable for immediate use and abandoned the restoration (besides that, members of my club threatened to find me if I restored the car). 

It took a few months to get the car going and safe for street use.  My wife was impressed that I got it running and looking good. 

I will only repair or restore what I need to to keep the car drivable and stock.  I will find another resto project and enjoy the 1937 Ford as is. 

DSCF0317.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pomeroy41144 said:

I decided to get the car safe and streetable for immediate use and abandoned the restoration 

I will only repair or restore what I need to to keep the car drivable and stock.  I will find another resto project and enjoy the 1937 Ford as is. 

Good for you, I have found that is the best way to enjoy your old car if you are so fortunate 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2016 at 6:23 PM, BearsFan315 said:

Comes down to...

• Time
  • Money
  • Resources
  • Commitment/ Dedication

working full time 45+ hours a week, 3 kids, not much FREE TIME to work on the car. sleep in the free time

on my 1929 Chevrolet, going about 3 years now, was partially restored when i got it, most of that undone, to be redone correctly !!

This June will be 5 years. I am HOPING that it will be running and on the Road by Then. A LOT has been done so far still more to go, gotten a LOT of help & guidance from friends here and on the VCCA. Honestly with OUT the internet I would NOT have ventured on this journey. have learned so much and still lots to learn. Will be excited once it is back on the road running, then i can tour and cruise !!

I keep a log of time spent, what was done, along with every invoice and dollar spent on it. That just the engineer in me.

I am getting really close !!  Don't Tell Terry Bond He is been waiting for me as well ( lol )

2 hours ago, zipdang said:

Photos show this 1959 Fiat 1200 Granluce as purchased almost 9 years ago, then the engine done, and the body done. Life has kept this going in slow motion, but I hope to unite the car with its drivetrain this coming summer.

P1010004.jpg

P1010022.jpg

P1010002.JPG

P1020486.JPG

What a neat little car. I love that front sub-frame assembly.

I hate to admit it, but I had ours done at a restoration shop. I was working 63 hours a week, remodeling a house, and had three kids, no time left for a car! After we got the car back, I spent several weeks doing over what the expensive restoration shop did wrong. Have a great show car now and we drive and enjoy it. We do concours shows too ( painter lives 10 miles away!) Took two years at the shop and about a year at the upholstery shop, I found all the needed parts and sent the chrome out.