NEW Forum Look???

33 minutes ago, hddennis said:

different, SLOW, and pretty much useless to me.

Yep, Many software changes are all show and no go.  Too much sloooow graphics

A lot to be said for keeping things simple, like old cars (without computers)

Edit

Old links seem gone. They used to work

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

As usual, these take some time to work out and I am certain the powers that be are working on it. I AM having withdrawals as I usually do with change, but if we all wait, I bet it will be running great soon.

Please be patient. To solve the Korean Spam problem the forum software had to be upgraded to the newest version. I am sure that the webmaster is still hard at work completing the switchover. Just like last time the software was changed, it took a little while for everything to start working correctly and as fast as it should. Lots of people hated the then new (and now old version) when it was first installed. In time, I am sure this new one will be just as loved as the last one eventually. When it gets replaced, I am sure that lots of folks will miss it... I just hope that is a long time from now.;)

• Like 4

I liked the original photo uploader from a couple years ago.  It was nice having my photos in an album as I would use a few over at different times.  Now my new computer not working like I would like it to,  won't let me store my photos everyday like the other so I delete them all to avoid having to go through them every night to get to the new photos.  Maybe the new program will have a photo album :)

I agree with all the above, the double spaced sentences aren't good, photos that were posted and now can not viewed are not  there etc. BUT I can understand it will take a reasonable amount of time to get it all sorted, so thank all who are working hard to make this happen.

• Like 1

Reatta forum seems to be down also, get a database error. They changed the URLs.

And my sigpic is gone. Well my whole sig is gone. Just tried to find but profile does not seem to allow one.

And what's this "reputation" ?

anima9.gif

ps looks like not only a new look but a whole different BBS program. Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Padgett,

I assume it to have been a temporary issue, probably related to the upgrade work that the webmaster is currently working on. I seem to have no problem accessing the Reatta Forum at this time and I see your signature photos and text but there may be an issue with a clickable link that you might have had in it previously.  The "Reputation" level was in the prior software version but the appearance is slightly different form what it was.

I see yours since it is not a traditional signature. I just did some research and I see that lots of portions of the forum database (including signatures and images) are currently being rebuilt in the background. I have no idea how many hours that rebuilding process will take, but it is working. I think that most of your issues or concerns will probably solve themselves overnight. 

13 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

Maybe they will remove my 0 warning points in the header that was always there for some reason. I guess it they were giving me a hint that big brother was watching!!   OH I see they did remove it now.

I see our reputations are rated now. How are the "+" scores compiled? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

It would be helpful if they could change the "avatars"

(the photos below a person's User Name) from round to square.

Cars tend to be rectangular, and the round shape cuts off

much of the photographs.  We know you're working on it--

John:  I help some other forums which utilize this latest version of IP Boards, and one of the many changes in the latest version is how avatars are handled.  At a board level avatars can be set to square or round, but rectangular avatars are no longer supported (as these rectangular avatars often conflict with custom themes used by many IP Board forums).

I find a 250X250 jpg/png file with your desired image centered within the 250X250 space works well with the cropping which occurs when you upload the image to your profile. - Bob

43 minutes ago, drwatson said:

I see our reputations are rated now. How are the "+" scores compiled? 

They are based on the number of "likes" you receive drwatson For instance I just clicked the "Like this" button on your post and your reputation improved by one, i.e. from 8 to 9. You're welcome:D

as a reminder, there was a subforum set up last upgrade for question and it is still in place...

http://forums.aaca.org/forum/134-forum-software-questionsinstructions/

• Like 1

16 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I couldn't look up any of my previous postings, to follow the threads. 

You can find all of the topics and post you have created by accessing your profile.  Select your profile by clicking the drop down arrow next to your avatar/user name at the top of the forum page.  Once on your profile page select the "See my activity" button and you will then be able see all your related posts and topics. - Bob

User_Activity.thumb.jpg.ee531cfe7969e78c

• Like 1

So, are our old pictures gone forever, or will they return someday?  I went back to copy an old post of mine to help out someone on a thread and discovered the pictures replaced by the URL and no way to view them.  Most disturbing.

15 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

So, are our old pictures gone forever, or will they return someday?  I went back to copy an old post of mine to help out someone on a thread and discovered the pictures replaced by the URL and no way to view them.  Most disturbing.

I can still see that all of the photos which I uploaded as posts are still attached to my forum account.  You should be able to see all of the photos which you uploaded as attachments by: clicking the drop-down arrow next to your avatar/name at the top of the forum page and then selection the option for "My Attachments"

attachments.thumb.jpg.3d4e5a6656668c8ff0

Edited by vwlfan (see edit history)
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, vwlfan said:

I can still see that all of the photos which I uploaded as posts are still attached to my forum account.  You should be able to see all of the photos which you uploaded as attachments by: clicking the drop-down arrow next to your avatar/name at the top of the forum page and then selection the option for "My Attachments"

attachments.thumb.jpg.3d4e5a6656668c8ff0

A question on long threads like a restoration thread with perhaps hundreds of pictures?   On another car forum that changed formats, the new format automatically saved all the pics that were thumbnails, and those build threads never changed.  But any person that only used fullsize pics, their pictures were gone.  Those people had to find their old pics and try to remember which pic went on each post, so 99.9% of those people gave up and scrapped their build threads.

so, my question is, does the new format here, allow the webmaster to click some magic button and make all of our old threads show the pics or thumbs, or do we have to manually install each pic in each post on our long threads?  Or is it too early to ask that question?

53 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

On my restoration thread, I only used thumbnails.  There are no URLs or any indication that there were ever any pics on any post there. 

and, if there was a "quote" in any post there, like my last post..there is no longer any difference in the quote or what I replied to that persons quote.  In other words, the quote looks like I wrote it.  It is just showing as another paragraph or sentence...not a quote.

The new format was a pretty radical change and it didn't fly very well with many members.   There were the inevitable hiccups with a change over and I'm sympathetic to the necessity of moving forward but I hated it.  Ryan doesn't publish site visits but would guess there was a downward hit for some time.  At this point (2 years later) I would think that it has corrected itself.

9 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The new format was a pretty radical change and it didn't fly very well with many members.   There were the inevitable hiccups with a change over and I'm sympathetic to the necessity of moving forward but I hated it.  Ryan doesn't publish site visits but would guess there was a downward hit for some time.  At this point (2 years later) I would think that it has corrected itself.

Car guys, especially old car guys, seem to hate change.

Some of the comments i get are pretty funny.

Change is required to keep up with spam filters, system hacks, not to mention new technology like mobile devices and updated browsers.

The dust will settle in a week and everyone will return to using the forum and secretly they'll appreciate the new features - even if they don't know it.

• Like 1

Time will tell the fate of any website. 

The HAMB had many build threads destroyed by the full size pics being vaporized.  The threads with only thumbnails did not lose the pictures.

Many of the guys that lost all their pics on their previous build threads, either left the site, or no longer do a build thread.

My nash thread on AACA is destroyed as it sits right now.  If there is some change in software possible that can restore my thumbnails I would continue my thread....but if that is not possible, I cannot spend hundreds of hours trying to figure out what pics I used on each post, .........and figure out how I can tell which sentences are quotes, or if it is my own words. 

I choose to end my thread if there is no way to fix what is there now.  Please don't think that is done in spite, it is only because the entire thread would be a waste of time if someone new tried to follow it.  I understand some things must change, so I have no hard feelings....but I'm not too happy with Chinese Spammers right now

2 minutes ago, F&J said:

Time will tell the fate of any website. 

The HAMB had many build threads destroyed by the full size pics being vaporized.  The threads with only thumbnails did not lose the pictures.

Many of the guys that lost all their pics on their previous build threads, either left the site, or no longer do a build thread.

My nash thread on AACA is destroyed as it sits right now.  If there is some change in software possible that can restore my thumbnails I would continue my thread....but if that is not possible, I cannot spend hundreds of hours trying to figure out what pics I used on each post, .........and figure out how I can tell which sentences are quotes, or if it is my own words. 

I choose to end my thread if there is no way to fix what is there now.  Please don't think that is done in spite, it is only because the entire thread would be a waste of time if someone new tried to follow it.  I understand some things must change, so I have no hard feelings....but I'm not too happy with Chinese Spammers right now

patience. things are being batched even now.

5 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

patience. things are being batched even now.

Yes, I figured some things could possibly be fixed.  That is why I said:  "If there is some change in software possible that can restore my thumbnails I would continue my thread...."