NEW Forum Look???

Just now, hddennis said:

So I've lost all the photos from the past  posts which renders them useless as reference to new members AND my avatar I've had for years! Once again "New & Improved" isn't always as good as it's made out to be. Oh well, I'm getting too old to learn new tricks anyway so I guess I'll just fade away.

Howard Dennis

NO

I'M WORKING ON THE DETAILS OF THE UPGRADE.

WHAT PART OF "PATIENCE" DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND!?

• Like 1

Wow ... I must say, I really like this new look!  Great work.

I do understand all of the frustration with getting used to a new system; that familiarity isn't going to happen overnight.  But, it will come.  1 thing I need to get used to is the "new content".  I loved having a list of what all I hadn't read with so many per page, so I had an idea of how much I needed to sift through. Now, it looks like it is all in 1 "stream", which is rather confusing & unsettling since I don't know how "long" that "stream" is ... but I will get used to it ... eventually!  again, love the new look!

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 79 CC to 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis?!
"Why can't this be real?" __ Restless Heart __ 'Fast Movin' Train'

Peter G.,

Just wanted to say Thank You for all your hard work with this forum upgrade and all your work over the years.

As an IT guy myself for over 35+ years I know what you are going through and I, for one, appreciate all your hard work.

9 minutes ago, charlier said:

Peter G.,

Just wanted to say Thank You for all your hard work with this forum upgrade and all your work over the years.

As an IT guy myself for over 35+ years I know what you are going through and I, for one, appreciate all your hard work.

????

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, smithbrother said:

It's been just a few days, give me a break, let the man/crew work thru this.

Some act as though the world is ending, how may times do you need to be told, 'patience'?

Dale in Indy 

When all my past posts with pictures are lost, my avatar lost, picture gallery gone and I've done damage to my personal files trying to work with a mess not of my making, "patience" does me no good whatsoever!

Howard Dennis

Peter Gariepy,

Thank you for what you do.  Been there, done that, hated it and don't want to do it again.  All good clubs, national, local, or world wide, cannot be any good without people that will step up and do the work nobody else really wants to do.  No matter what you do, a lot of people will gripe and complain, "Not that way!"  Whine whine whine.

I spent 25 years working with cutting edge technology. Fought with other engineers, fought with administration, fought with marketing.  Our goal was always to make it work as best we could for the most people we could. The impossible task.

Thank you.

W2

There's sure lots of bitching going on.......I guess some would prefer the Korean spam rather than a clean, secure, site........ :wacko:

If you're over 60 it isn't exactly as if you never saw CHANGES over the years.

Isn't a positive change worth waiting for?

For God's sake give Peter and the crew some time to get things back to normal already!....... :angry:

• Like 2

The thing that I noticed right away was that accessing this site was no longer possible through my 'Favorites' list.  I'll try reloading this site in my list of favorites and see if that works.

What was the Korean spam problem?  I don't think that I ever encountered that.

Cheers,

Grog

6 minutes ago, capngrog said:

The thing that I noticed right away was that accessing this site was no longer possible through my 'Favorites' list.  I'll try reloading this site in my list of favorites and see if that works.

Yep, that worked.  I can now access this site through my list of favorites.

Before I re-loaded this site on my 'favorites'  list, I'd receive this message: "Forums.aaca.org Driver Error"  "There appears to be an error with the database"

I just included this information in case it's of interest to the webmeisters.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

I will add now that I am on a PC with a large screen, the forums are fine.  When I use my phone, that's when the format and syntax drive me crazy.  I use my phone a lot due to my work.  I have down time sitting in the car quite frequently, so I park and check out the site.  I do not envy those who have to maintain this place.  Thanks to all that do!

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

Peter,

Seems like you have upset many with the work you are doing.  But it is mostly the same people that when a new person ask a question or post something that they don't like they shoot him down and make him unwelcome...  Some people need to learn kindness and be patient.  I, for one, will wait and see how this new update shakes out and then adjust to the changes.  Things change people!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You Peter, and anyone else working on the changes.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, vwlfan said:

Howard:  Do you have an image/pictures of the avatar you would like to use?  If so I would recommend re-sizing it to be 250X250 pixels.  Once the image is re-sized you can then upload this as your new avatar.  To upload a new avatar do : Click User Name-->Profile-->Profile Photo (see image below). - Bob

profile_picture.thumb.jpg.065d38999be008

Bob, in my frustration in trying to get back to where I was before this "Improvement" I failed to thank you for trying to help me out. That is inexcusable and I humbly apologize, I appreciate that you were the only one who offered help.

It didn't work for me as it refused to accept any size avatar I uploaded and just wanted to chop each version into a portion of what I uploaded. Cover photos I tried are GIGANTIC and only a small portion is visible on screen.

Thanks for trying,

Howard Dennis

Give it some time, Howard. As both Peters have said, it's a time thing to migrate all the content, including photos, between servers and get all the links connected. Think of it as an engine swap and they haven't completed reconnecting all the wires yet. Your missing content will likely reappear in time, and if not, you will eventually have functioning tools that will allow you to re-create it or re-upload your photos. I know it's frustrating because I, too, am the kind of guy who likes things to work perfectly, immediately, and have little patience for technology. But with this forum and others that are staffed almost entirely by volunteers and are provided free of charge, I've learned that just letting them do their jobs at whatever pace they need is the best choice. Peter G and his staff are well aware of ALL the problems and I'm sure Peter hasn't had much sleep in the past 5 or 6 days, so it behooves us all to trust that he knows what he's doing, he's doing the best he can, and that it will simply take some time.

Be cool. It'll all turn out fine.

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, hddennis said:

Bob, in my frustration in trying to get back to where I was before this "Improvement" I failed to thank you for trying to help me out. That is inexcusable and I humbly apologize, I appreciate that you were the only one who offered help.

It didn't work for me as it refused to accept any size avatar I uploaded and just wanted to chop each version into a portion of what I uploaded. Cover photos I tried are GIGANTIC and only a small portion is visible on screen.

Thanks for trying,

Howard Dennis

Howard:  What internet browser are you using?  I ask because if you are using the new "EDGE" browser which is part of Windows 10 this could create some issues.

The forum software is STILL indexing the site. 

Once it is done many of your complaints will fix themselves. If, after Tues of this week, you continue to see problems please open a new post.

All comments and problems are now required to be put in the Forum Software Questions/Instructions Forum.  One post per issue.

Peter

Edited by Peter Gariepy
typo (see edit history)