Hershey 2024 space costs

trimacar

5 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Terry it is just the result of everyone being in the holiday spirit!! 🤣 I am sure you wished that the 15 years you were on the board was nothing but peaches and cream!

Yes, we have stories...but the club moves ahead. 

Terry

I got the answer to this price dilemma as well as guaranteeing the future of The Fall Meet. All the vendors coming now sell us all your stuff dirt cheap so we buy more and you take home more cash and cover your booth space. Then ten years from now when we buyers all realized we bought way too much stuff because it was cheap will then take it all back to Hershey to sell.   

You all can thank me later. 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Only problem with that is that ten years from now all those prospective future buyers that would have had any interest in those parts will be long gone and you might have to sell all those dirt cheap parts you bought even dirt cheaper. And by that time the vendor spaces will probably cost around $200 each!    Nice thought though and an A+ for some fresh innovative thinking, we could ceertainly use more of that!     BTW if you ever find any vendors at the Fall Meet selling anything dirt cheap please let me know their location, I haven't seen any there for the last 20-30 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, erichill said:

I got the answer to this price dilemma as well as guaranteeing the future of The Fall Meet. All the vendors coming now sell us all your stuff dirt cheap so we buy more and you take home more cash and cover your booth space. Then ten years from now when we buyers all realized we bought way too much stuff because it was cheap will then take it all back to Hershey to sell.   

You all can thank me later. 😊

I've been trying this approach to selling for years and I still get beat down on price! 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

I cringe when I hear some of my co-workers refer to their Wives as "the 'ol Lady". 

What does any of this have to do with the cost of Hershey spaces?

Nothing, but the occasional thread wandering. Perhaps an indicator this topic is running out of steam?

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)

On 12/22/2023 at 2:28 PM, CarNucopia said:

Respectfully, I've seen this said before and think it's a bit of a diversion. The process of getting elected to the Board requires the blessing of the Board (unless you can get a petition signed by 2,600+ members). Per the bylaws:

I can't speak to how this became the process, or what the intent was. I doubt it was anything nefarious.  But, it creates a high probability that nominees will be chosen who have similar outlooks to the current board.  I have no doubt the process brings forth people who are passionate, dedicated to the AACA and hard working. All are volunteers giving up their personal time to advance the interests of the Club. What it doesn't give you are contrarian voices who challenge the status quo.

PS: I'm in agreement the Magazine should be mailed to everyone.

May I ask what you have done to bring change to the club? Have you discussed your ideas for change with Directors or put them down on paper and when? How have you supported the hobby in recent years? What specifics can you cite which indicate a lack of debate amongst "the lemmings" on the board? You have nebulous somewhat condescending opinions. What are your suggestions? As a contemporary, a life member of AACA, and a life-long hobbyist, I'd be interested in any constructive ideas you may have.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomCox said:

May I ask what you have done to bring change to the club? Have you discussed your ideas for change with Directors or put them down on paper and when? How have you supported the hobby in recent years? What specifics can you cite which indicate a lack of debate amongst "the lemmings" on the board? You have nebulous somewhat condescending opinions. What are your suggestions? As a contemporary, a life member of AACA, and a life-long hobbyist, I'd be interested in any constructive ideas you may have.

Thanks for the the question.  For the entirety of my career, I traveled and worked weekends. Because of this, I wasn't able to participate in club activities. About a 18 months ago, this changed. I reached out to 6 different people within the AACA via email explaining that I am a life-long car enthusiast with a career that included automotive special event promotion, consumer marketing and strategic planning. I asked a simple question: "How can I help?" I received one response that didn't address the thrust of my question. Six months later, I was copied on an email to a local region person making an introduction.

If the  tone of my opinions comes off "condescending" its a measure of my frustration combined with the lesson that it takes a pointed comment to get a response.

I also need to take exception to your characterization of me describing the board. As a reminder, here is what I said about them specifically:  "I have no doubt the process brings forth people who are passionate, dedicated to the AACA and hard working. All are volunteers giving up their personal time to advance the interests of the Club.". My criticism was about the process used to select them. When you select from a group of people who mostly have a similar experiences as it relates to the AACA, there are not enough new perspectives. Yes, institutional knowledge is important to maintain continuity of purpose. But, too much of it creates group think and blind spots. I have seen this on other boards I've been on.  My measure of the Club's governance isn't how the board debates or gets along, it's how well the Club evolves to meet current and new member needs. In this area, I give it a failing grade  And, when it fails for an extended period, it's likely systemic. One potential cause is the board selection process since the board is where long term planning starts.

Why do I even care? I very much want the AACA to be a healthy, relevant and long-lived organization. I hear other members talk about their 50 years with the club and feel envious. Why? Because I'm pretty sure the organization will not be there, and relevant, for me when I'm their age. I can say this with relative certainty as it's barely relevant now. As an enthusiast in his mid-50s, I find the club archaic and mostly incapable of interacting with younger enthusiasts on their own terms. None of my similar-age car friends have interest in the club and the younger folks I know are even further removed from the AACA. 

As far as specific recommendations, I've made many here and in personal communications with leadership. One I made on the forum that was not well received was the need for online registration for events. This is symptomatic of what is the first hurdle to recruiting new, young members. The organization conducts business the same way it did 25 years ago. Young people are not going to mail things or write checks. This is table-stakes stuff for engagement. I've asked leadership if there was a marketing plan with goals and metrics to help the guide the AACA in fulfilling it's mission. There isn't. Again, table-stakes stuff. I've also reached out to the Legislative Chair about an issue of concern I wanted to get involved with. I never received a response. As far as what I do for the club now, I moved on to other things after the prolonged radio silence. I'll stay a member, enjoy the club and hope things will improve.

One important point I need to make is my issue is not with staff. I've had nothing but positive experiences with them. They do great work.

Finally, at times I'll make what you call a "nebulous" comment just to see if anyone else shares my concern. Maybe I'm wrong? Or maybe this just isn't the place for me. I'm open to either prospect.  But candidly, it boggles my mind that members don't look at who is attending events and wonder who will be there 10 or twenty years from now. You've all invested so much heart into this organization, don't you worry about it's future? Can you honesty say it's on a course that will endure?

Edited by CarNucopia (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2023 at 1:14 PM, 63RedBrier said:

I have an idea to fix the empty spaces problem.  Assign vendors to rows!  When vendors arrive, they get the next (however many spaces they reserved) spaces in that row!  Working from the center out will concentrate all the occupied spaces toward the center and leave the empty spaces on the far end.  Why wouldn't this work?  Steve?

That would make printing of the Program rather difficult, would't it?  I bet that program is printed months nefore October.

Could the club explore going paperless for the program?  Save the printing costs--or at least reduce them, and make it easier to update vendor listings.

39 minutes ago, Littlestown Mike said:

That would make printing of the Program rather difficult, would't it?  I bet that program is printed months nefore October.

Could the club explore going paperless for the program?  Save the printing costs--or at least reduce them, and make it easier to update vendor listings.

I agree!  I was just trying to flesh out some alternatives!  Why not just indicate what row the vendor is in?  I usually ask people I am trying to find at Hershey what pole number they are near, that always seemed easier to me than trying to focus in on number plates tacked to the pavement...

On 12/21/2023 at 11:49 PM, Dave Mellor NJ said:

I'll be there again but I think it sucks. The price of membership keeps going up, too.

I took care of this as a Christmas Present to myself last year. I got a Life Time membership. I have to live another 14 years to break even at the price today. And if I don't it won't really matter considering all the fun I have had here through all the years. Also. It seems the $100 bill is the new $10. Looking at it that way it does not seem bad at all. 😁

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 12/22/2023 at 8:50 PM, StanleyRegister said:

This is my biggest problem.  Walking past 2 miles of asphalt to see 1/2 mile of vendors.  I tend to go for several days, and there are still vendors who don't get me in front of their stand.  I'd have enough energy to see all of them if they were next to each other.

I understand that businesses like to be found in the same place, but some kind of single global consolidation would only make a 1-year upheaval in that.  I understand that people like to be next to friends, but is that enough of a reason to give up the 20% or more of buyers that don't see you because of the unoccupied sprawl?

Just visualize all the vendors being adjacent, and the crowds of buyers that would be concentrated in front of them all.

This is a tremendous area of concern for me that I feel MUST be addressed to insure the future of the swap meet.  In recent years we've seen the swap meet go from filled spaces on each and every row to some areas that look like a ghost town. This is going to have a snowball effect if not corrected. Buyers are going to quit coming because they are not going to walk down row after row of empty spaces to get to the few vendors that are set up. The lack of traffic to vendor spaces means lack of sales, so then those vendors quit coming. If food vendors don't make good sales because of decreased traffic, they too will quit coming. 

I don't have all the answers but I think a committee should be formed to look into ways to address it. I set up at another swap meet where when you register, you must list the type of parts that you are selling. One swap meet asks for photos of the types of things you intend to sell. Some strong wording, that empty spaces could result in lost privileges to purchase spaces in the future, may at least help deter this from happening.

I frankly cannot understand why good money is being spent on spaces that sit empty all week. I have heard people suggest things like the weather, covid, or other life events must've prevented these vendors from coming. Ok, I could accept that if 10% of spaces were not filled, but I'd venture to say between a third to half of spaces were left empty last year. If 9000 spaces are sold, that means 3000-4500 went unoccupied.

Maybe space cost should be raised to $200 per space, with a $100 per space refund given to vendors that are actually set up and selling all week!!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, CarNucopia said:

As far as specific recommendations, I've made many here and in personal communications with leadership. One I made on the forum that was not well received was the need for online registration for events.

Members have been wanting this for several years, and I can assure you that it hasn't fallen on deaf ears, but there were/are key things that prevent(ed) it from happening as quickly as we want(ed). I could be wrong (or out of line), but we are getting close to implementing that. We have implemented easy-to-join and or renew membership online.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Members have been wanting this for several years, and I can assure you that it hasn't fallen on deaf ears, but there were/are key things that prevent(ed) it from happening as quickly as we want(ed). I could be wrong (or out of line), but we are getting close to implementing that. We have implemented easy-to-join and or renew membership online.

Thanks West. This brings up another suggestion I have given. Does the AACA have a process to collect best practices from Regions and Chapters and roll them out to everyone? Let's get the folks with more advanced systems to help move the club forward. 

Registration is a solved problem. Other clubs have been doing this for a decade or more. We discussed this earlier in the year in another thread and the Harwoods talked about how they switched to online registration five years ago for their Stan Hywet event. Having showed a car there, I can speak to the large scale and complexity of the event. It's a huge undertaking. Both said it improved the process considerable. Melanie also mentioned she volunteered to help implement something similar for the AACA, but her offer was not accepted.

When someone with her ability offers to help and is not allowed to, I have to think there are deaf ears.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Littlestown Mike said:

6 hours ago, 63RedBrier said:

I agree!  I was just trying to flesh out some alternatives!  Why not just indicate what row the vendor is in?  I usually ask people I am trying to find at Hershey what pole number they are near, that always seemed easier to me than trying to focus in on number plates tacked to the pavement...

Why is it even necessary to identify vendors location in a (once a year) SWAP MEET ? 

Why not just implement earlier suggestions of assigning/compressing/filling spaces on first-come-first-served basis and perhaps splitting commercial/professional vendors from hobbyists, as these improvements(?) would obviously make it easier and simpler for attendees/buyers/spectators look/walk through the entire area and vendors with potential will-call pick ups can easily inform their buyers via todays digital technology ?

OTOH, I think since the advent of various online market places, most of the potential "improvements" for any physical swap meets might be moot anymore.

Full disclosure: As I've mentioned, I haven't been to Hershey (& Carlisle) for over 30 years or many other, closer-to-me swap meets for over 20, mainly due to having access to easier/simpler ways to find/source needed parts, etc by just picking up a phone (or more recently, occasionally opening/searching the internet).

As for other, club related membership experience improvements/upgrades mentioned by @CarNucopia and others, while I'm not a very active as a member of any I belong to, I've heard/seen similar concerns being expressed by membership in all of them and many of these clubs seem to suffer from continually diminishing membership, perhaps due to not adapting/evolving (fast) enough in the modern world.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 12:30 PM, Steve Moskowitz said:

BTW, Hershey, PA is not a city.  It does not exist. We are an unincorporated community in Derry Township officially! :) 

Thanks for the chuckle, Steve.

"GET IN THE CAR KIDS! We're going to an unicorporated community in Derry Township!" 

Hmmm, just doesn't have the same ring to it...  ;) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/22/2023 at 1:14 PM, 63RedBrier said:

I have an idea to fix the empty spaces problem.  Assign vendors to rows!  When vendors arrive, they get the next (however many spaces they reserved) spaces in that row!  Working from the center out will concentrate all the occupied spaces toward the center and leave the empty spaces on the far end.  Why wouldn't this work?  Steve?

Hershey is a 1500-mile round trip for me and my flea market is generally parts that I have acquired in my hobby but have no need for.  I try hard not to be a hoarder.  Given all of the costs involved just to get Hershey the extra cost of a flea market space is in the noise for me. In addition to my own spaces, I also host the Stanley Museum so they can have a presence at Hershey.  For years a member of the Museum has brought his Stanley and demonstrated the process of firing up the car. In recent years it is not a money-making proposition but the experience is more about the relationships I have developed over the years. 

A consistent location (or at least a known location in advance) in the flea market is a big deal.  I have been going to Hershey for close to 40 years and suffered through moves from the airport to the Green Field to the disaster of the Yellow Field by the creek.  After finally landing in the Red Field, I am not anxious to move without a good plan in place. The idea of filling rows sounds good until you consider that it would be a mad rush once the fields were open to try and get the best location.  It would be a recipe for chaos and likely a disincentive for vendors. 

Hershey Region does a good organizing the flea market.  One of the things that is not much discussed is the ability of a space holder to sublet a flea market space.  This is forbidden by current rules.  How many empty spaces are sold but not occupied because the owner doesn’t want to lose his space and just pays for it? If the owner could sublet his space on a year-to-year basis without losing future rights to the space that might solve some of the open space issues.  Hershey Region could also charge a small fee for this service and help generate some more revenue. 

As I understand it Hershey Region has no option to limit the amount of area that is rented from Herco.  I don’t know if that encourages the flea market to be spread out more but I could see that as a challenge that has no easy solution. 

Alan 

• Like 3

I usually do my best to keep my posts on Topic, but West who I consider a leader in our club did open the door

If online registration is now available to AACA members, that is a good thing, but I am not sure it has become a widespread practice in the club. 4 months ago our local chapter in NC requested all members send a $70 check to the chapter secretary to submit a bundled payment and registration for chapter, region and national dues. My check was cashed a month later, yet last week I received a reminder from national headquarters to renew my membership. Obviously that bundled payment and registration has not been submitted. Talk about an inefficient process!

I am also a member of US Masters Swimming, an organization very similar to AACA: 70K members, a global organization with local clubs, regions and a national headquarters led by an executive director and a small staff. It is a volunteer run organization with a volunteer board and volunteer leadership at all levels of the organization. USMS has local, regional and national championship swim meets, open water swims, fitness events, meetings and an annual convention. Sound like AACA?  For over a decade, online registration has been available for all members for all of its events and membership renewal (and initial membership) without having to do it by paper, use the USPS or  go through several levels of bureaucracy. With USMS I can renew membership and pay annual dues with local club and national organization all at once in less than 5 minutes. It does not take 4+ months!  Another major difference between AACA and USMS is the diversity of its membership and leadership by age, gender and ethic background. Take a look at any photo of the AACA board or a AACA event and I think you will get my point. I think age is the major factor in USMS embracing 21st century technology. The age range is 18-100+. Steve and other AACA leaders, please consider reaching out to USMS. They may have some best practices we could use. 

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, CChinn said:

If online registration is now available to AACA members, that is a good thing, but I am not sure it has become a widespread practice in the club. 4 months ago our local chapter in NC requested all members send a $70 check to the chapter secretary to submit a bundled payment and registration for chapter, region and national dues. My check was cashed a month later, yet last week I received a reminder from national headquarters to renew my membership. Obviously that bundled payment and registration has not been submitted. Talk about an inefficient process!

AACA – Antique Automobile Club of America – AACA – Antique Automobile Club of America

Online registration is available from the Home page here (AACA.org).  The prior issue of Antique Automobile is available online to everyone and the current issue is available to paid members through the Member Login tab on the home page.  This has been available for quite a few years now.  There is a lot available from the AACA.org home page including Nationals results back to 2014.  Programing is being done now for online Nationals registration payment followed by National Tour registration and payment.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A Woolf said:

The idea of filling rows sounds good until you consider that it would be a mad rush once the fields were open to try and get the best location.  It would be a recipe for chaos and likely a disincentive for vendors. 

I'm not sure that ^^ is an accurate assessment, especially if the filling of the rows/spaces were conducted and directed by volunteers in orderly "first-come-first-served" manner, instead of some "mad rush" fighting over "best location" and any jackbottom attempting to pass the organized lineup would be penalized by either directing/forcing them to back of the line or possibly even revoking their attendance all together. 

I would think filling the rows/spaces one-by-one would also help prevent any chaos & disruptions some late arrival vendors can cause when trying to maneuver their trucks & trailers, etc through already otherwise filled rows to get to their "reserved" spaces.

I've heard and seen these approaches working well in most other vintage car events/shows, even if attendees/vendors are pre-registered.

Or is the privilege of having "reserved" space(s) more important than consideration & respect toward all other attendees or organizers ?

I would think in most clubs and/or their organized events all members are and at least should be considered/treated equal.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

Good grief. It would take all week to load in! Tremendous amount of work for volunteers to check in vendors. Don't assume all vendors arrive at the same time and day. This would totally eliminate the ability to advertise your spaces to friends and customers. Where do we tell the Porta potty companies to unload our rented toilets? How would the tent companies know where to erect tents? While I've always believed there's no such thing as a bad idea, this one is a non-starter.

Sorry to be so off topic but the floodgates are already open. Other thoughts on hold while waiting to see if this thread gets moved to the HERSHEY forum, or elsewhere. 

Oh, my registration us on its way for the coming year. I look forward to seeing everyone again.

Terry

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, TTR said:

I would think filling the rows/spaces one-by-one would also help prevent any chaos & disruptions some late arrival vendors can cause when trying to maneuver their trucks & trailers, etc through already otherwise filled rows to get to their "reserved" spaces.

I think this approach would work fine for a smaller event, but at a swap meet the size of Hershey, I could see dozens and dozens of trucks and trailers backed up trying to get onto the grounds Monday morning while vendors are shown "one-by-one" where they are to go. Right now you simply drive onto the grounds, go to your spaces since you already know where they are at, park, and start setting up. I think parking vendors on a first come first served basis could potentially have vendor traffic backed up for a really lengthy time. I drive four hours to Hershey and I don't want to sit in my truck in a long line waiting behind dozens of other vendors waiting for someone to show us where our spaces will be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Increased spot rental may have a silver lining. Maybe the “Parker’s” will move back outside and park in the Herco lots. Of course, this is predicated on Herco rates staying where they are. The downside is Hershey region will sell less spots.

IMG_0562.jpeg

I'm all for consolidating the vendors that actually show up for the week with cars and parts to sell and weeding out the no-shows and folks that only buy spaces to park, but there simply is no easy answer to make that happen. If there was a way to consolidate all of the no shows or parking space buyers to a particular area like say, the red field, (please no hate mail from Red Field vendors, that was only given as an example) the AACA still gets paid for ALL the spaces and all of us real vendors are much more consolidated.

Dreaming about such a plan is the easy part. Figuring out a way to make it happen is the hard part.

Would people be honest enough to fill out a registration form if it had these questions?:

1) I am a vendor that sells cars/parts and plan to be set up for the week selling ____ If my spaces are found to be unoccupied, I risk losing my spaces or being moved in the future.

2) I would like to purchase ____ spaces on the show grounds for parking only.

3) I would like to purchase ____ spaces in order to retain spots although I do not plan to attend this year. I understand that by not attending my spaces may get moved.

Just thinking outside the box a little.........feel welcome to poo-poo the suggestion.

Edited by pkhammer
mispelling (see edit history)

I will side-step this discussion with the exception that at my 75 years of age, maybe they can trim the distance I have to walk between empty spaces from the no shows.  It would be pretty hard to do however, when spaces are prepaid.  But maybe like the airlines that give away your seat if you are not at the gate on time, the region could consolidate spacing after a certain point.  Then they could sell tickets to watch the fisticuffs from the poor vendors they just ticked off, lol.   Anyway just dreaming.. Wish everybody would just show up to vend unless there was a real emergency.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pkhammer said:

I think this approach would work fine for a smaller event, but at a swap meet the size of Hershey, I could see dozens and dozens of trucks and trailers backed up trying to get onto the grounds Monday morning while vendors are shown "one-by-one" where they are to go. Right now you simply drive onto the grounds, go to your spaces since you already know where they are at, park, and start setting up. I think parking vendors on a first come first served basis could potentially have vendor traffic backed up for a really lengthy time. I drive four hours to Hershey and I don't want to sit in my truck in a long line waiting behind dozens of other vendors waiting for someone to show us where our spaces will be.

Perhaps we're misconstruing each other, but I don't mean every vendor should need to be shown "one-by-one", as in personally taken to their row or spaces.

Instead, from the entry gate on, there would be a line of volunteer's(?), one in a bright orange vest every 100-200(?) ft. directing/pointing/instructing traffic flow of vendors to follow the vendor truck/trailer/van/vehicle ahead them until they reach the point where they're given as many spaces they've pre-paid for and so on ...

Other than perhaps not having enough volunteers to orchestrate this at each field simultaneously, but maybe if each field is filled one at a time ...

... these volunteers can be moved to next one and so on ...

As for porta-potties, perhaps businesses providing those services could have a bunch of them ready in some corner(s) of each field and personnel on hand to check with newly arrived/parked vendors if they've ordered/pre-paid for one and if yes, then just quickly bring (with golf carts + small trailers ?) and drop off as many as they've paid for.

I'd imagine businesses providing and getting paid for such service should be able to co-ordinate something like that fairly easily.

This way all the vendors would be consolidated to much more approachable formation without countless empty spaces (or rows ?) in between, hence making it much easier for those potential buyers walking (or hoping/trying to walk) through the entire swap meet. 

OTOH, I don't know why I'm wasting my braincells & time on this since I likely won't attend Hershey swap meet any time soon anyway. 🙄

8 hours ago, TTR said:

Perhaps we're misconstruing each other, but I don't mean every vendor should need to be shown "one-by-one", as in personally taken to their row or spaces.

Instead, from the entry gate on, there would be a line of volunteer's(?), one in a bright orange vest every 100-200(?) ft. directing/pointing/instructing traffic flow of vendors to follow the vendor truck/trailer/van/vehicle ahead them until they reach the point where they're given as many spaces they've pre-paid for and so on ...

Other than perhaps not having enough volunteers to orchestrate this at each field simultaneously, but maybe if each field is filled one at a time ...

... these volunteers can be moved to next one and so on ...

As for porta-potties, perhaps businesses providing those services could have a bunch of them ready in some corner(s) of each field and personnel on hand to check with newly arrived/parked vendors if they've ordered/pre-paid for one and if yes, then just quickly bring (with golf carts + small trailers ?) and drop off as many as they've paid for.

I'd imagine businesses providing and getting paid for such service should be able to co-ordinate something like that fairly easily.

This way all the vendors would be consolidated to much more approachable formation without countless empty spaces (or rows ?) in between, hence making it much easier for those potential buyers walking (or hoping/trying to walk) through the entire swap meet. 

OTOH, I don't know why I'm wasting my braincells & time on this since I likely won't attend Hershey swap meet any time soon anyway. 🙄

No matter how many volunteers, Hershey is to large for your idea.The fields are already laid out the best way one could,still not easily maneuvered if you are late.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Good grief. It would take all week to load in! Tremendous amount of work for volunteers to check in vendors. Don't assume all vendors arrive at the same time and day. This would totally eliminate the ability to advertise your spaces to friends and customers. Where do we tell the Porta potty companies to unload our rented toilets? How would the tent companies know where to erect tents? While I've always believed there's no such thing as a bad idea, this one is a non-starter.

Sorry to be so off topic but the floodgates are already open. Other thoughts on hold while waiting to see if this thread gets moved to the HERSHEY forum, or elsewhere. 

Oh, my registration us on its way for the coming year. I look forward to seeing everyone again.

Terry

COMPLETELY AGREE !!

TERRY SAID IT WELL  !!

I've had the same spaces (CG 32,33,34) since the Chocolate Field was first opened in 1984 - 

Just a bit north of Lamppost 58

Friends, potential, and pre-purchase clients know where to find me.

Move me around haphazardly on a field based on who is in front of me in traffic ?

@#%&$ N0 WAY ON G-D's GREEN EARTH  !!

For the gent who drives four hours to get there and doesn't want to sit in an unending line - YES !

(... and we drive nearly 24 hours each way, so yeah, right on ...)

Does anyone really think that an additional $10 per space, Once a Year, will hurt any of us that much as to affect vendor space rental?

Probably not, at least in my opinion.

We spend a small fortune in Diesel Fuel, Motels, Meals, Tow Vehicle and Trailer Maintenance-

AND THAT IS JUST TO GET TO HERSHEY AN BACK HOME -

--- Much less the extreme Lodging prices for the week we're there -

--- and yet we do it year after year, believing it is worthwhile for a great many reasons !

Do I love price increases? 

Of course not, but we pay a bit more every year for food, clothing, etc,

although Fuel prices are nicely lower now than last year.

Last week I paid $2.19/gallon for 87 Octane at Sam's Club

(Yes, $2.19, but it has since gone to $2.24, and may increase -

but much lower than five and six years ago when we were paying more than twice as much !!)

Am I happy about the increase ? Of course not, but will deal with it the same way I deal with the increased cost of spark plugs, motor oil, and a pair of jeans -

... shrug, roll my eyes, :rolleyes: , and carry on.

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, pkhammer said:

2) I would like to purchase ____ spaces on the show grounds for parking only.

I agree with this one from Mr. Hammer, take the orange or red field, or whatever area works best, and do this.  Same price as a regular spot, but it would resolve a lot of the non-vending spaces issues when walking the field.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, trimacar said:

I agree with this one from Mr. Hammer, take the orange or red field, or whatever area works best, and do this.  Same price as a regular spot, but it would resolve a lot of the non-vending spaces issues when walking the field.

It would of course need to be on a fist come, first serve basis AFTER all of the real parts vendors have registered and secured their spots. After a certain deadline the rest of the unsold spaces could go for parking, as you say, for the regular space price. Perhaps those persons who are disabled/handicapped could be first priority with scooter rental/registration nearby.

• Like 2

My take is people want Hershey to be successful.  You all care and that is why you have been so passionate in this thread.  Personally though, I think we are missing the most important point.  Rather than consolidate we need to sell spaces to people who actually vend.  We need more vendors and that is up to National and the region to hopefully come up with ideas to entice some new blood and keep our current vendors.  We also need to find out why some of these spaces stay empty year after year but are paid for.  I understand illness, work, family and other things can come up at the last minute but it seems some are willing top pay for the spaces an not use them for some reason.  The fact is we have to do better.  All of us, vendors, the region, HE&R, and AACA to ensure our event continues in the future. Please understand that leadership is not only aware of your comments but are actively working on solutions to fixing issues with the event.  However, they all are complex and unless you know all the facts you would not know how difficult it is for the region.  I'm hopeful the team this year takes some steps forward.

TTR, without attending Hershey you would not have any idea of the infrastructure of the flea market that would cause an absolute disaster without pre-registration. My guess is the township would shut it down as it would effect public roads.  Quite frankly, while your idea may seem simple it would not work with the 9,000 spaces that need to be filled. You have everything from semi-trailers to RV's that need to maneuver to their spots. The gamble for the region, if it were to rain is way to big as hard costs don't change.  Actually, come to think of it the set-up is relatively smooth when you think of the amount of traffic coming in to the show to set-up. In any event, send your registrations in!  Still the best week of the year.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

My response may be a bit hypocritical in theory, as I believe that people should get involved, however as a non vendor I feel I should not have an opinion. I try to go every year, but have no interest in procuring a spot to sell my wares. From the outside looking in, it seems like a pretty well oiled machine. I can only imagine the amount of behind the scenes work needed to keep it going each year. In other words, if it aint broke dont fix it. IF there are complaints about the organization/parking arrangements amongst the vendors perhaps at the very least an email could be sent to all paid participants for input, i.e. a suggestion box. I think this is irrelevant to someone that has not or has no plans on vending. I have no idea how many empty spots there are, who parks where or how many pay for a spot and show up. I do know that it seems that the same 'big guys' are in the same spot each year, honestly have never considered that the guy with one spot out of the back of his station wagon gets the same address year to year. I say keep up the good work, if you build it they will come.

• Like 3

Steve, My solution to the vacancy rate at the flea market is simple, at least in my eyes, and I have been vending, non stop, since about 1985. Simply monitor the spots and if they remain vacant after a second year in a row, assign the spots to another member. No exceptions, period. This will take an effort and probably more volunteers, but after the second year of vacancy, that vendor must re-apply and start over.

Frank

• Like 5

1 hour ago, oldford said:

Steve, My solution to the vacancy rate at the flea market is simple, at least in my eyes, and I have been vending, non stop, since about 1985. Simply monitor the spots and if they remain vacant after a second year in a row, assign the spots to another member. No exceptions, period. This will take an effort and probably more volunteers, but after the second year of vacancy, that vendor must re-apply and start over.

Frank

That's one that would work, without many more volunteers. 

3 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

My take is people want Hershey to be successful.

Steve, you are 100% correct. Any comments or suggestions that I make are ONLY made because I care about the AACA, the swap meet, and the hobby in general. Anything I say or suggest is not meant as criticism in any way. If I am able, I'd be happy to do my part to help in any way I can. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

We also need to find out why some of these spaces stay empty year after year but are paid for.  I understand illness, work, family and other things can come up at the last minute but it seems some are willing top pay for the spaces an not use them for some reason.  The fact is we have to do better. 

Why do some people have spaces but not use them?

I believe they value the show;  they value their spaces

and don't want to give them up.

It's sort of like the owner of an old car who lets it languish

or deteriorate for years under a tarp.  "I'm going to restore it

someday." He's not doing anything, but he keeps the possibility open.

I agree with one suggestion above:  Spaces must be used,

and used for auto-related items.  If unused after a certain

number of years, they are given to someone else.

• Like 1

As the internet and age takes it's toll on vendors there will be more empty spaces. More empty spaces will take it's toll on attendance. Less attendance will take it's toll on food vendors etc. Raising prices on spaces, ancillary services and food to make it up will take it's toll etc, etc, etc.

This has been building for quite awhile. I don't have the answer, and there may not be an easy one, but steadily sailing along on the current course will certainly hasten the end...........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oldford said:

Frank

Frank, I personally like the solution if it is used with some common sense and is not completely dogmatic.  In case of instances of family tragedy, weather issues, illness, etc. that is legitimate I would hate to see a long time vendor lose their space. In some instances this could take two years to resolve. The only issue I see is the manpower to walk the entire field and then keep the database.  Still maybe this is where the region could head in the future.  I will bring it up to them.

I do, however, hope the club can entice more vendors and our members can help with this task.  I know the majority of AACA members on this site love Hershey and want it to be successful.  

• Thanks 1