At a car show, you never know who might be admiring your car.

1935Packard

I was at a car show today with my Packard and started talking to an elderly gentleman who was admiring the car.  He had an English accent, and said that he had always admired American cars ever since his first car, which he bought when he was still living in England.  

I ask what car it was, and he said it was a 1926 Studebaker roadster.  Wished he still had it, he adds.  When did you buy that, I ask?  1939, he says.  Turns out he is 101 years old.  I asked how he spent WWII, and he explained that he never left the UK; he was a guard at a POW camp for German soldiers.  

You never know who might be looking at your car, or what life experiences they might have.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

I really miss talking with and listening to people of that and an earlier generation or two. One could get such a feel for what they went through so long ago. I had great uncles that fought in the first World War, other uncles that were in Europe for World War Two. I met and had a couple antique automobile mentors that drove racing cars in the 1920s and 1930s (no well known names). All long gone now.

I started asking questions of people when I was very young. A lot of them couldn't believe a kid my age could really be interested. But I was.

I still like talking with strangers, and listening to stories they want to tell.

• Like 16

One of the features that the gentleman mentioned was that the '26 Studebaker was right-hand drive, built for the UK market.  I googled that, and up comes a post on such a car, with photo, right here at the AACA forum. 

• Like 5

I was at a local car show back in the 80’s driving a PI Rolls that belonged to a friend. A elderly gentleman kept walking around the car for about 20 minutes. When he was about done, I asked him if he knew the car. He confirmed he did as he was the one who picked it up at the factory in Springfield. It turned out he was Andrew Mellon‘s chauffeur. We took him for a ride and while driving down the road, he asked me to stop at his house, which is only a few miles away. When we  arrived there he handed me the original trouble light and owners manual for the car. He refused to take it for a spin. 

Over the years, I’ve had several interesting meetings with past owners or family members of cars that I was driving or showing. Some really interesting experiences at Pebble Beach with a Duesenberg and past owners from the 50’s. Meeting someone who is familiar with the car back when it was new is always a treat. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

While not a car show, but another hobby of my, RC scale aircraft. I was at a show and a fellow member of my RC club showed up with his elderly dad, Bud, he himself an avid RC plane builder and a WWII veteran. Among the line of aircraft was a Storch which was the WWII German version of the US piper cub or L19 Cessna bird dog. While Bud was looking intensely at the very well done Storch, another elderly gentleman walked over and asked Bud if he knew what aircraft it was. When Bud said he did, the gentleman then asked if he had ever seen one. When Buds reply was yes, the next question was where. When Bud told the gentleman where he saw it, the gentleman then said that’s where he had seen one. The next question was when. It turned out both Bud and this gentleman were in the same place at the very same time, while their regiments were different, they ended moving through Europe on the very same campaigns till the end of the war! Both, miraculously managed to make it home safely. To listen to the two men reminiscing about such a horrific time, watching them hug each other and start to cry, was just an incredible thing for me to experience. There’s no real way to explain the emotions I felt and I’m normally not a very emotional person. It was just incredible.

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

I was at a local car show this summer when an older gentleman was giving my 1965 Marlin a good look. Made some small talk with him and found out he was the, at one time, the owner of the local AMC/Jeep dealership. After he said his name I remembered the dealership.

Back in the mid-60s he was just a salesman at the same dealership (different name, he bought it out) and reminisced about how hard of a sell these Marlins were to his normal Rambler customers due to the how "flashy" they were and the cost. Was nice to hear from someone who had first hand experience with these cars back in the day.

• Like 6

A bunch of years ago, I was pulling out of a parking space with my 1913 Ford when I heard: "Pardon me, what year is your Model T?"  The question came from a man whose father had been on the trip Edsel took from Dearborn to California in 1915.  Edsel had given each participant a scrapbook of the trip.  My interlocutor had his father's scrapbook, and none of his kids was interested in it.  He and I had museum-quality disks made.  One filled 11 pages in the Horseless Carriage Gazette.  Another, together with the original scrapbook, were donated to the AACA Library.  You never know!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2023 at 8:24 PM, wayne sheldon said:

I really miss talking with and listening to people of that and an earlier generation or two.

What you hear from these people when you listen is first person/generation  history - they were there when the event, incident, etc was happening and can relate exactly what went on. This is so important. ( which is why I cherish period reports in magazines, journals, etc and period photographs) the retelling by someone who heard it from someplace else can loose some of the impact or meaning depending upon the interpretation of who is telling about it. The first person is reliving what they saw or experienced.

I have been fortunate to be in the right place at the right time often to have experienced this with generations of people that were old enough to be my father or grandfather. Former employees, staff, officers of defunct car companies, coach builders, race car drivers - all pre WWII era.

The Dreyfus bothers of France , coach builder Rudy Creteur, former Franklin Company test drivers , chief Draftsman an chief Engineer, even a mechanic who worked for Cadillac at their service area at Columbus Circle in NY City in the 1928-31 era who saw Charles Lindbergh drive up in his 1930 Franklin to the Franklin dealer there to drop his car off for service. He talked to me when he saw my Franklin that was sitting outside a grocery store where I went to get some food about 2 miles from my house in the early 1970s.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 15

MEETING INTERESTING FOLKS AT CAR SHOWS....cont:

Yes, that happened to me.   Was chatting away with fellow car nuts, when an old guy came up  (I should explain...clearly older and in less shape than me...I am 83...)  and asked me in his booming voice (I should further explain this was a BIG guy....probably still capable of putting up a fairly good bar fight....!)....'DO YOU KNOW WHO OWNED THAT THING IN THE MID 1950'S"?     I thought that to be an odd question.....decided NOT to tell him the history of my car....let him do the talking.....!   "I AM A RETIRED LOS ANGELES POLICE OFFICER.  I WAS ASSIGNED TO HOLLYWOOD JUVENILE...WAS UP ON MULHOLLAND DRIVE, SAW PARKED AT AN OVER-LOOK,  THIS,  KID IN  A CAR JUST LIKE THIS...WITH AN EQUALLY UNDER-AGE FEMALE...CLEARLY UP TO 'NO GOOD'    THE LITTLE RAT TOOK OFF....TRIED TO CATCH HIM WITH MY (UNMARKED) FORD POLICE CAR.  LITTLE RAT RAMMED ME, I WENT OFF THE ROAD, 'TOTALED' THE POLICE CAR...LOST A MONTH'S PAY.  I'D SURE LIKE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT LITTLE RAT"........

So I agree....isn't it fun to go to auto shows as an exhibitor with an old car.....you just never know what interesting people you can meet...

PACKARD DANA POINT.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Not at a car show but,  We had a nice elderly man as our door monitor at the stadium where the Seahawks play. Very nice and unassuming gentlemen. We always exchanged polite conversation on game days.

He mentioned that he was a Marine and a lifer as well. I asked what he did in the Marines, and he told me he was a pilot. It turns out he was President Eisenhower's pilot and he landed the very 1st presidential helicopter on the White House lawn. You never know who you are talking with.

brasscarguy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, brasscarguy said:

You never know who you are talking with.

This is so true, it can be a eye opening, once in a life time experience that you can only truly appreciate afterwards. Savor the moment and experience.

Walt

• Like 5

On 9/24/2023 at 8:23 AM, Bills Auto Works said:

I did not know we had a POW camp in California. I

A part of US history, we had to keep POWs somewhere. 

https://www.gentracer.org/powcampsCA.html

And not just California, we had some here too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_prisoner-of-war_camps_in_the_United_States

Also we should know about the internment camps where we imprisoned US Citizens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Sitting on a running board I have met countless celebrities. From all different areas of industry and entertainment. Most were fairly covered up to help them to be able to walk among the public. I was talking to Dan Aykroyd for fifteen minutes before I realized it was him. I didn't know I spent 10 minutes talking to Whoopie Goldberg until someone asked me how I knew her as she usually isn't out much in public. It was cold, and she was bundled up. My favorite was some guy who is an internet sensation the last 10 years. He stopped by and chatted for half an hour and lots of people were taking photos of us and the car. I actually asked him who he was and why people were taking his photo...........he was shocked I didn't know him. Such is life. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Thats funny Ed, I was riding on main street during Daytona bike week one year. Every one was jumping off the sidewalk taking my picture as I was going by. It was quite a circus. I could not figure for the life of me why so many people wanted a picture of me riding my run of the mill Harley. Then I realized that kid rock was riding right beside me, I had no idea it was him until after the fact.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, pkhammer said:

Ed, they were probably taking photos of you. You just haven't realized what a celebrity you've become! 😎

No celebrity here, just a used car mechanic. 

• Like 6

Yes, I used to enjoy talking to and listening to the old Coggers at Hershey and Carlisle. And then they seemed to kinda disappear. And I realized that I was  one of the old Coggers now! My first Hershey was 1964 and haven't missed one since, except the one they didn't have due to covid.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Yep, you never know who's going to show up. In the mid-90s when I was on the development team for the C5 Corvette, we were at Mid-Ohio doing some testing on a supercharged car. The fuel system was not cooperating and I was DRENCHED in gasoline trying to get it working. This guy strolls into our pit smoking a cigar and wearing a straw hat. So not wanting to catch fire, I point at him and say, "Get that f*cking idiot out of my pit."

Yeah, it was Jack Roush...

image.jpeg.658cc8e067ee46f162c14d3408a56dc3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Yep, you never know who's going to show up. In the mid-90s when I was on the development team for the C5 Corvette, we were at Mid-Ohio doing some testing on a supercharged car. The fuel system was not cooperating and I was DRENCHED in gasoline trying to get it working. This guy strolls into our pit smoking a cigar and wearing a straw hat. So not wanting to catch fire, I point at him and say, "Get that f*cking idiot out of my pit."

Yeah, it was Jack Roush...

image.jpeg.658cc8e067ee46f162c14d3408a56dc3.jpeg

As a driver of a C5- y'all did an awesome job! One of my favorite "modern" cars. I have every intention to buy another, preferably a Z06 in the next couple of years.

On 9/28/2023 at 8:41 AM, Matt Harwood said:

In the mid-90s when I was on the development team for the C5 Corvette....

Wow! That sounds like a historically significant story in and of itself, Matt. For those of us who are unfamiliar with your involvement in that project (or your pre-Harwood Motors career) could you elaborate?

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 9/27/2023 at 9:32 AM, edinmass said:

Sitting on a running board I have met countless celebrities. From all different areas of industry and entertainment. Most were fairly covered up to help them to be able to walk among the public. I was talking to Dan Aykroyd for fifteen minutes before I realized it was him. I didn't know I spent 10 minutes talking to Whoopie Goldberg until someone asked me how I knew her as she usually isn't out much in public. It was cold, and she was bundled up. My favorite was some guy who is an internet sensation the last 10 years. He stopped by and chatted for half an hour and lots of people were taking photos of us and the car. I actually asked him who he was and why people were taking his photo...........he was shocked I didn't know him. Such is life. 

I’ve told this story before, had my Pierce in a local parade for the Apple Blossom festival, Winchester, Virginia.  Dan Aykroid has a sister who lives nearby, so he was a Grand Marshall for a parade.  He and his entourage came walking by before parade, he came over and started looking over my Pierce, asked me to raise hood, introduced himself (ha!), and we kept talking.  One of his group said “Dan we need to go” and Dan shushed him, said hey, we’re talking cars!  Nice guy.  I lived in New Orleans in the 1970s, met numerous celebrities, and realized the more you treated themnormally, and not starstruck, the better the experience was to remember.  Met James Coburn, Mike Conners, Lillian Gish, Richard Thomas, Sharon Gless, and others…

• Like 4

When I worked at Harrah's Automobile collection, I met a number of celebs. Some names you might not remember, Trini Lopez, Don Rickels, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and a number of others, part of my job was to give tours to them,

Several Celebs had cars on display so they were allowed to go thru the collection without guides. The only rule was they had to wear white shop coats with the Harrah's

logo on the back and their name patch on front. 

We also did some restoration of celebs cars. Bill Cosby had a Frasier Nash, Robert Culp had a Phantom 3. If they had questions we got the answers. 

My all time favorite was Steve Mcqueen. He donated his ultra rare Jaguar XKSS. He had played rough with his baby. We did a cosmetic restoration. His only request was to call him with any changes or upgrades. I called over several issues. This was before cell phones and someone always answered the phone, not Steve. I was told to tell the one on the phone it was about the Jaguar. He always was quick to call back. I met him several times in Reno over the project.

A few years later I was working in Montana selling Automotive test equipment and still interested in old cars I saw an original 1911 Hudson motorcycle in an antique shop. It was 2500.00, all original and out of my league. 

On my next stop in Stevenson made my sales call and entered another antique shop. Just looking around and a voice from the back of the store, What the hell are you doing in Montana? I looked up and there was Steve sitting around wood stove . I knew he collected vintage motorcycles and I told him about the Hudson. He got all excited and wanted to check it out. So I drove him back where the bike was. As it was in the front window he could see it and wanted to buy it. He only wanted to pay 2grand.  Because of who he was he asked if I would go over and make the purchase. I agreed and we went to a bank he got the cash and I walked in bought the bike for 2 grand , once the deal was done he then walked in to check out his new purchase. He owned a ranch in Montana where he stored the motorcycles and of all things old cast iron wood stoves. After he died they sold the collection of nearly 200 vintage bikes at the big Las Vegas bike auction.   

brasscarguy

• Like 15

b-c-g, I know someone that has a Hudson motorcycle, about that vintage. They have had it for about twenty-five years. It is in very nice mostly very original unrestored condition. Not one that a person is likely to see many of. I wonder if it might be the same one?

A major private collection, I won't mention the name.

They're not all nice, but I agree most are worth our time. Showing a 34 Packard one time (go figure) and this old dude comes up and in cliche fashion, "Say buddy, just between you n me, what's that car worth?" "Well that's not something I like to talk about, maybe you can ask the owner when he gets back. But hey it's here, go ahead and look it over, we just finished it." "You did it?" "Yes, go ahead and enjoy..." I don't know how I knew what was next and he comes back. " How long does something like that take?" "There's in excess of 3,000hrs in it. We did the whole car, body off." In a rather gruff and judgemental way, "Well I dare say, wouldn't that have paid for a few college educations?" Without hesitation I replied "F'n, eh. Paid for mine." I got the desired response, he walked away. 

However, by and large I've enjoyed and learned volumes from sharing this car experience with others. I rather like when I don't know who I'm talking to. Seems we get the real at that point, in fact from each other. Car ppl are the best in the world. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Porsche 68 said:

Like the time I went to a show and some guy asked yea my Ferd was I said it’s a Dodge he said no it’s a Ford John

Apparently you didn’t get the memo that all cars built before WW2 were Fords and all cars built in the 1950s were Chevys. At least that seems to be what many outside the car hobby seem to believe. :) 

If I had a nickel for every time I was asked what year Model T (or A) Ford my 1933 Plymouth was, I’d have a lot of nickels. The surprising thing to me is the number of times that is asked at filling stations where the clearly visible hubcap on the spare tire says “Plymouth” and the also clearly visible YOM tags say 1933.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I am 99.9% sure Trace Adkins, country music star, stopped by the model car contest at the Goodguys show in Rhinebeck NY several years back, while I was behind the table. My model club ran the contest and we all got into the show for free...good times.

Looked like him, sounded like him, you could see the scar from a heart surgery above his T-shirt line and Trace Adkins was famously shot in the heart and survived, and there was a Trace Adkins concert that weekend at Bethel Woods, aka Woodstock, which is maybe a half hour away? Also appeared to have bodyguards, which is not something you see at car shows particularly often. Or ever, actually. 

I didn't ask because he was clearly just there to enjoy the car show but I think he knew that I recognized him (I did a double take). got a tip of the cowboy hat, also a rare sight to see at a car show and hour and a half north of NYC. 

• Like 9