At a car show, you never know who might be admiring your car.

1935Packard

My brother and I attended an AMCA (antique motorcycle club) event in Rhinebeck a few years ago. My brother has a friend that sells vintage clothing. He was visiting with him when Billy Joel went to his booth and bought something. My brother is the least effected person in the world with celebrity status, I dont think he even owns a tv, lol. About an hour or so later he asked me if I knew who Billy Joel was. Of course I answered yes, he then replied, 'I was just talking with him at so n so's booth'.  I kept an eye for the rest of the day but never spotted him. 

I did spend quite a bit of time talking with Christine Simmons, (wife of Pat Simmons of the Doobies) at yet another M/C event. She is an active antique motorcyclist and really a decent person.

• Like 5

Wasn't a car show, but my nephew was working the counter at the local auto parts store when he was High School age. I stopped for parts one day and there was a very attractive young girl working the counter. I knew she drove a pink PT Cruiser and Don had mentioned her.

She asked for my phone number and when my account came up on the screen she cheerfully looked up and said "You're Uncle Bernie!" My mind immediately flashed to Chester, the cartoon character from the old Hustler magazine. Well, it just came to mind and always makes me smile.

• Haha 6

I didn't know where that term originated from.  When I was in college, I worked for a large municipal government park a couple of summers.  An older guy there was a painter by trade and his name was Chester.  He had women's panties hanging from the floor shift of his truck.  We all referred to him by that moniker. 

• Haha 1

On 12/28/2023 at 4:05 PM, ply33 said:

Apparently you didn’t get the memo that all cars built before WW2 were Fords and all cars built in the 1950s were Chevys. At least that seems to be what many outside the car hobby seem to believe. :) 

If I had a nickel for every time I was asked what year Model T (or A) Ford my 1933 Plymouth was, I’d have a lot of nickels. The surprising thing to me is the number of times that is asked at filling stations where the clearly visible hubcap on the spare tire says “Plymouth” and the also clearly visible YOM tags say 1933.

You totally right! No matter the 1920’s car I drive, the most frequent comment is “nice 1929 Ford!” But when I drive my 1951 Plymouth, it is always recognized as a Chevrolet! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I was driving a Springfield Rolls Ascott in Springfield back in 1984. Nice high point turn key car, and a 80 year old lady walked up and said “nice Model T”. I have my car recognized correctly more today than forty years ago. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, edinmass said:

a 80 year old lady walked up and said “nice Model T”.

She was probably pulling your leg. A lady who was 84 in 1984 grew up with Model Ts. 

Happy New Year! May your Duesenbergs run at least as well as the Model Ts. :)

And may my cars run almost  as well.

Edited by pmhowe
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1