Hand signalII

Buick35

I assume it is still taught, because in most (if not all) US jurisdictions, bicycles are compelled to use the same streets as cars and follow the same rules of the road, and for them hand signaling is the only option. At least in urban areas, other drivers need to know what hand signals mean, and many do. Whether they are good drivers or not is a separate issue.

I have not found this to be a big problem. Yes, some of them think you are waving and wave back. At least they are looking at you.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I find most current drivers, young or older, have absolutely no idea what that stalk on the left side of their steering wheel does. So it's doubtful they know hand turned down means "I'm stopping", hand straight out means "I'm turning left" and hand turned up means "I'm turning right".

• Like 5

I find most people don’t know what hand signals Just the other day I was in a 40 mph zone that turns into a 55 mph strait away with a passing zone that starts at the 55 I put my hand out to make a left and the jerk behind me passes me in the no passing zone I almost hit him good thing I pay attention 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

I find most current drivers, young or older, have absolutely no idea what that stalk on the left side of their steering wheel does. So it's doubtful they know hand turned down means "I'm stopping", hand straight out means "I'm turning left" and hand turned up means "I'm turning right".

Glenn, from the current printing of the VA driver's manual:

image.png.863662e2e73848150037eb7e69761b55.png

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Now a days the young drivers may think you're throwing gang signs. 😀

The "Old Guys in Slow Cars" gang. Who wants to make the patch design for the back of the leather jacket?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I wondered myself if handsignals were still on the driver’s license test in Ohio.

I perused the latest study guide about a year ago at the DMV.  No mention of hand signals.  I then installed turn signal lights on my T.

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

Glenn, from the current printing of the VA driver's manual:

image.png.863662e2e73848150037eb7e69761b55.png

🙂🤭😁😂

One can lead horses to water...

If people here in Podunk VA don't/won't signal intentions, I can only imagine (and fear) driving in NoVA.

Not sure about other jurisdictions but driver's ed is no longer taught in high school here. It's all private instruction, supposedly by trained and licensed instructors. Whether these instructors teach hand signals, I don't know. I do know that any signaling is more or less ignored by vast majority of drivers under 50 that I encounter. I guess these people are convinced other drivers can read their minds and know exactly what they intend to do.

I also see a lot of drivers who either disregard or completely ignore steady red lights and stop signs. Two of the largest stop signs in this county are at the entrance to Virginia International Raceway and track patrons blow thru them  like they aren't there. After having to more than once take hard evasive action, I have learned to slow down to 20mph or less traveling thru that intersection.

• Like 1

I haven't found it to be a problem. When I am driving a pre-WW2 car or driving my Morgan (which looks like a pre-war car) I find that the cars are sufficiently unusual that people are especially attentive. So most other drivers are very courteous and attentive. Unfortunately, there are still those who are caught up on cell phones or otherwise engaged. I try to watch out for them. In any case, I try to make all my actions cautious, deliberate and predictable - except of course, when I am on a small country lane and I am driving a three ton pre-war car and an oncoming BMW sports car thinks he owns the road. :)

Phil

• Like 1

Do yourself and your car a favor and install turn signals which can be easily attached when needed and detached when an original appearance is appropriate.  The sheet metal and life you save may be yours!  No one, young or old, knows hand signal anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Do signal, however, don't assume that your signals (whether hand or electrical) are seen and understood.  Additionally, most drivers do not know or follow the prescribed 'rules of the road' with regard to which car has the right-of-way.  Always drive defensively.  ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I would be scared to death driving a car without signals! I use both lighted signals and hand signals when riding my motorcycle if I am in a crowded situation, just in case one is not seen. I dont trust anyone else on the road, period. Got sideswiped the other day on a back country road, opposing driver crossed the line, mirrors hit, blasting mine apart. Of course the guy kept going!! Same thing happened 4 years ago within 500 feet on the same road. My take is all other drivers are idiots until proven otherwise.

• Like 6

I have a good friend with a beautiful resto modded Trans Am. He was making a left hand turn, car passed him and T boned him on the driver side. Guy that hit him said he was in a hurry and was not paying attention. AND this was WITH a turn signal!!

• Like 1

30 years ago I was making a right turn in my Model A into my driveway to the garage and put my arm up in a right turn signal. There was one car behind me and the drive is about as long as the Ford so I had to make a outward swing to line up. Apparently, the driver thought I was waving her around me and she proceeded to pass and I almost drove right into her. Even back then, most people had no idea what hand signals were. Heck, today no one even obeys the speed limits, why should we expect them to watch for hand signals!

• Like 2

I garondamntee when he got charged, fined, and hit with a hefty insurance surcharge or lawsuit he started paying attention. 

Nah. He didn't. People like that never learn anything from their idiot mistakes. The world revolves around them. Just hope your TransAM brother wasn't hurt by someone else's stupidity.

Phil's comment on BMW (and Porsche/Audi/fill in the blank) drivers is spot on. Being near VIR that's a daily occurrence on this backroad that's barely wide enough for two normal vehicles to meet and pass. A road that coincidentally is a good sportscar road, but is also used by delivery vans, semi trucks and outsized car haulers in addition to roughly 75 local residents going about their daily travels and business. Farm vehicles use it too which adds a whole 'nother angle.

There's a designated route VIR traffic is supposed to use, but it adds about 5 miles to the trip. There is also signage prohibiting vehicles over certain weight and length from using the backroad shortcut. They ignore that too so no way they'd pay any attention to hand signals. With all that outsider traffic, I wouldn't even try using them on that road.

So I go to county board of supervisors meetings and raise a stink a few times a year, for what little good that does.🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Buick35, as you and I are Florida residents, here's what the current (rev 06/2022) Florida Driver's Handbook says on Page 29 regarding turns:

Making Turns ► You must use vehicle directional signals or hand signals to show other drivers that you are turning. ► Turn signals are also required by law when changing lanes or overtaking a vehicle. ► You must give a turn signal for at least 100 feet BEFORE you make your turn. 

endquote

There are large illustrations of hand signals for left turn, slow or stop, and right turn at the bottom of the page, but I was unable to copy and paste them here.

George

• Like 1

Every time I use hand signals, I have to assume the following are the thoughts of drivers around me:

Left Turn;    What's he pointing at?

Right Turn;   He's flipping a bird at someone.

Slow or Stop'    Must be something on the pavement there.

That's why I installed electric turn signals and a high 3rd Brake Light on our 1934 Ford.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hand signal testing still required in AZ. Below from AZ driver's manual.

This argument that hand signals are no longer used or understood comes up often on the old car forums. I recently quizzed an 18 yr. old. He knew what they were and could demonstrate them.

One will occasionally see motorcyclists, bicyclists and others using them here.  Just yesterday I saw a motorcyclist use hand signals.

Screen Shot 2023-08-27 at 10.48.47 AM.png

• Like 1

Here in busy California traffic I have installed turn signals on all my old cars and trucks.Yes they could be removed if authenticity is required but I drive these quite regularly so for visibility and for other drivers seemingly lack of patience when it comes to vintage vehicles,I have never removed them.when bicyclists are on the road it seems that car drivers at least pay attention to their hand signals but as mentioned on other posts ,when it comes to old autos the hand signals get somehow confused with some other rude gestures.Be safe and visible out there.

Turn signals kits are available Install them on the antique cars. But here is the kicker. The driver behind or beside side  you is trying hard to position himself /herself to get a better look at your car. He/she is so busy and not see your signal lights flashing.. A left  turn in British territories is to extend the arm and motion a circle.

2 hours ago, dodge28 said:

Turn signals kits are available Install them on the antique cars. But here is the kicker. The driver behind or beside side  you is trying hard to position himself /herself to get a better look at your car. He/she is so busy and not see your signal lights flashing.. A left  turn in British territories is to extend the arm and motion a circle.

But in British territories the hand is extended out the right side of the car...as with my right-hand-drive Jaguar.  You think people are confused with hand signals from the left side of a car, try them from the right side.  That's why I upgraded the semaphore 'trafficators' on the Jag.

IMG_9003.JPG

• Like 3

On 8/27/2023 at 5:15 PM, Rata Road said:

Some people where I live say they don't understand hand signals. Most of my cars don't have any blinkers so I use the hand.

But how come all cyclists still use the same hand signals as me and everybody understands them? 

As an avid bicycle rider and driver of pre-war cars (without turn signal indicators), I agree with some but not all of your conclusions.  I think most people can figure out if you stick you left arm straight out of the side of the car, you are indicating you are tuning left.  I agree the hand signals for right turn and stops are likely not understand by most other motorists (I do signal for right turns.  I do not signal for stops since I have a brake light on the back of my car but I look in my rear view mirror to make sure I am not rear-ended!).  

As a bicycle rider, it is much easier with regards to hand signals.  I stick my left arm straight out to indicate a left turn and I stick my right arm staring out to indicate a high turn.  I think (hope) everyone understands that.  Also, I believe it is easier to see the straight arm of a bicycle rider than the straight arm of the driver of pre-was car.

Robert

• Like 1

In NJ it is still in the Driver's Manual.  I frequently use them from my cars.  I find that most of the cars back off when I do it but ignore my built in turn signals or I use both.  Another thing is that I have put the LED bubs in some of my cars (all post WWII) which helps quite a bit.

• Like 2