Amelia Island Concours 2023

edinmass

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

B2517BC3-67FB-44DE-A6CB-9F701498EFED.jpeg

2 Colors??  IMHO takes away & breaks up the streamline look. Monotone best.  Still fun to see even with a non-original Piercing Orange??? Rare fender skirts. Nice it doesn't have side mounts in the pontoon fenders that was an option. Pontoon fenders 2 years before Cord.

Edited by 34LaSalleClubSedan (see edit history)
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, SC38dls said:

Ed, that car is absolutely gorgeous! Hope it gets BOS.  AJ did a great job cleaning it didn’t he. 
dave s 

Congrats Ed. The owners looked pleased. Best in Class. Well deserved. She cleaned up nicely. 😎

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Guess who.

7836E8BF-EFF0-4F52-B4B6-B64C56DBE571.jpeg

I bet that’s your cleaning supplies to do Ed’s car, right AJ? 
dave s 

it really is a stunning presentation of a beautiful car, congratulations Ed. 

• Like 2

I’m sorry I didn’t get more pictures for you guys. There was lots and lots more stuff. Problem is that I’m too cheap to buy the early ticket. And I could’ve rode out on the field with Ed but I was more interested in taking a shower and having breakfast. there’s 1 million people out there milling around the cars. It is very hard to get any decent pictures. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/2/2023 at 10:41 AM, EmTee said:

What the...?

233CDACE-741D-4019-A9D7-9AED5E5B4DA7.jpe

I love this picture and don' think is distracts form the value if the car.   If anything it should add to the value

because the early big cars are not real safe in the Braking Dept, with rear wheel brakes only.   i suspect the 

owner has enjoyed driving this car a lot.  Thumbs Up!   I've also seen disc brakes on the drive shaft of real 

early cars.   Not correct, but the cars where in the roads where they belong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2023 at 10:41 AM, EmTee said:

What the...?

233CDACE-741D-4019-A9D7-9AED5E5B4DA7.jpe

I love this picture and don' think is distracts form the value if the car.   If anything it should add to the value

because the early big cars are not real safe in the Braking Dept, with rear wheel brakes only.   i suspect the 

owner has enjoyed driving this car a lot.  Thumbs Up!   I've also seen disc brakes on the drive shaft of real 

early cars.   Not correct, but the cars where in the roads where they belong.

• Like 1

Good to see the crowds and know that some people have the spare $ to support the events like this.

Saw the name Doug Seybold mentioned - he is one of the absolute finest people in the old car hobby today and has been for years . A genuine gentleman and total enthusiast.

His expertise is phenomenal as is the level of work that he does on his cars and others.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

E8BBECBA-D114-4B72-ACED-24F6DD0A9A7C.jpeg

My Edition1 GTs next to the Gullwing from your photo last year at Caffeine and Carburetors in New Canaan Ct. Great car and owner. Mechanically done with original paint, interior, etc

IMG_5362.jpeg.6715b60e13e33e802838d9ab6d9acf75.jpeg

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, George Cole said:

The pedal car followed me onto the field and parked kitty-corner next to me.  Ours were the first 2 cars people saw when entering the show field.  Made for a very busy day.  That's the tail end of my 1947 Jag in front of the pedal car.  AJ was practically standing by the Jag when we parked.  Fantastic getting to meet him in person.  Didn't get to see Ed.  Sorry, no pictures...in the rush I left my camera in the Escalade about an mile or so away.  

Light rain at the hotel before heading to the show.  Jag was filthy by the time we got there.  Heavy clouds when we arrived at around 8:15.  Just enough time to give the Jag a 'Navy shower' ( spray bottle of Meguirs cleaner/polisher, and wipe down,) before the rain began.  Rained off and on for an hour or so, then spot sprinkles for the remainder of the show.  I wiped the car off several times but it seemed to be a losing battle.  Didn't deter the crowds.  Must have been 30k people with umbrellas, ponchos, hoodies, or just plain getting soaked.  Cleared off by about 11:00.   Even though the show field was packed with people, at 1:00 sharp they started directing cars to leave.  As we were on the end, front, we were the first car out.  

Blew left front Michelin on the Jag at about 70 mph on I-95, on the way home.  No damage other than the wheel and tire, and a several hour delay.  But that's a story for another day.  

George

George, is that a MK IV? I’m heading down the straightaway on a ‘49 MK V. Wonderful cars!

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

Guess who.

7836E8BF-EFF0-4F52-B4B6-B64C56DBE571.jpeg

I went to a show in central Florida a few years ago with Ed. It’s amazing how much stuff he takes! But that said, he can cope with anything that showing an old car might throw at you….which is why he’s curating a nice collection!

Edited by yachtflame (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Amelia had its ups and downs for me.  So enjoyed seeing old friends and I owe and big thank you to Ed and his boss for a special surprise for me.  Seeing both of them smile most of the week was great. Happy for their award! I got to be lead judge for a class that I thought would be easy and it was not!  Almost every car turned out to be a former AACA Grand National or even a National Award winner.  We had a tough time!  Do not ask me about the new judging system we were asked to use....GRRRRR.

I took a bunch of pictures from RM's auction...wow, did they knock it out of the park in their new location.  Plus, Rob raised over $1,000,000 for Spina Bifida in honor of Bill & Jane Warner.  Those pictures are now on my FaceBook page for those that wish to see them along with a bunch of race car pics.  I did not get to take my usual load of pics.

The unusual Buick with the standard trans on the floor is owned but a guy stranger than the car! :) Apparently the car got a lot of attention.

With the announcement of a new auction and concours the same week in another part of Florida next year it may change some things up.  It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Amelia had its ups and downs for me.  So enjoyed seeing old friends and I owe and big thank you to Ed and his boss for a special surprise for me.  Seeing both of them smile most of the week was great. Happy for their award! I got to be lead judge for a class that I thought would be easy and it was not!  Almost every car turned out to be a former AACA Grand National or even a National Award winner.  We had a tough time!  Do not ask me about the new judging system we were asked to use....GRRRRR.

I took a bunch of pictures from RM's auction...wow, did they knock it out of the park in their new location.  Plus, Rob raised over $1,000,000 for Spina Bifida in honor of Bill & Jane Warner.  Those pictures are now on my FaceBook page for those that wish to see them along with a bunch of race car pics.  I did not get to take my usual load of pics.

The unusual Buick with the standard trans on the floor is owned but a guy stranger than the car! :) Apparently the car got a lot of attention.

With the announcement of a new auction and concours the same week in another part of Florida next year it may change some things up.  It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

A little bit bittersweet.  Amelia has been one of the best events of the year for a long time. But things are changing. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out next year.

I attended the Broad Arrow auction and they are trying hard to get their act together as a new company. they had some interesting inventory and some very seasoned guys working for them. I wish them well.

However, the RM Auctions has been a mainstay for me to attend Amelia. And it is going to be very hard with them moving out of town.  They typically have the pre-war big Classics that  I’m most interested in.

• Like 1

Guys,

The American Underslung is my car.  This was the public debut of the car after working on it for 15 years.  I am a lifetime old car guy who got my interest in cars from my father.  This car was under the radar and I didn’t find it.  It found me.   At the time the gentleman who owned the car was 75 years old and he decided he would never finish the restoration so he decided to pass it on.  I agreed to purchase it and paid him what he wanted for it.  It was a once in a lifetime deal for me.

We started the restoration shortly after getting the car home.  With the exception of paint and finishes and some specialty machine work my father, brothers, and I did all of the restoration work including building a new radiator, sheet metal work, and top and upholstery along with what seems like a million fabrication jobs.   Along the way we also restored a 1911 Model T that my brother purchased. 

After setting the goal of getting the car to Amelia this year it has been a real push to get it “finished”.  In reality the car is not 100% finished so I was more than a little surprised to win a red ribbon and class award at the concours. We had many positive comments about the car and it was very gratifying to be able to show it off to the old car community. 

Sunday was bittersweet because my father who was very instrumental in the car being on the show field was not there.  He passed away in 2019 at 92 years old.  He was a depression era WW2 vet who lived a full life.  He was still down in the shop working on the car just a few months before he passed.   I am very appreciative to him and my brothers Dan and Jim for making this possible.  I also need to mention that all of my family has been very supportive as the restoration progressed.

Every since experiencing a 48hp Pierce Arrow as a teenager I have always wanted to own a big six-cylinder brass era American car.  With enough foresight and work dreams can come true. 

Alan

DSC07983.JPG.4debc67da006be201d2c55e81657c4eb.JPG

20190727_134122.jpg.d0f3774196efa70ce2c5e130c6ed13f1.jpg

20200725_105901.jpg.f2cb041ad60b5cea69cf3127cb83193e.jpg

20230304_150919.jpg.0620901ae79ed07783b9a9b559781041.jpg

• Like 29

7 minutes ago, A Woolf said:

Guys,

The American Underslung is my car.  This was the public debut of the car after working on it for 15 years.  I am a lifetime old car guy who got my interest in cars from my father.  This car was under the radar and I didn’t find it.  It found me.   At the time the gentleman who owned the car was 75 years old and he decided he would never finish the restoration so he decided to pass it on.  I agreed to purchase it and paid him what he wanted for it.  It was a once in a lifetime deal for me.

We started the restoration shortly after getting the car home.  With the exception of paint and finishes and some specialty machine work my father, brothers, and I did all of the restoration work including building a new radiator, sheet metal work, and top and upholstery along with what seems like a million fabrication jobs.   Along the way we also restored a 1911 Model T that my brother purchased. 

After setting the goal of getting the car to Amelia this year it has been a real push to get it “finished”.  In reality the car is not 100% finished so I was more than a little surprised to win a red ribbon and class award at the concours. We had many positive comments about the car and it was very gratifying to be able to show it off to the old car community. 

Sunday was bittersweet because my father who was very instrumental in the car being on the show field was not there.  He passed away in 2019 at 92 years old.  He was a depression era WW2 vet who lived a full life.  He was still down in the shop working on the car just a few months before he passed.   I am very appreciative to him and my brothers Dan and Jim for making this possible.  I also need to mention that all of my family has been very supportive as the restoration progressed.

Every since experiencing a 48hp Pierce Arrow as a teenager I have always wanted to own a big six-cylinder brass era American car.  With enough foresight and work dreams can come true. 

Alan

Wow! Beautiful car and thanks for the story behind it.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, avantey said:

So what and where are the new auction and concourse for next year?  Steve M said it was announced but I can't find information on line.

Thanks Bill 

The Concours was briefly announced to the auction audience and has been in the planning stages for sometime.  A formal press released has not been sent out yet but it will be in the "Miami" area and will be first-class all the way.  All I can say is stay tuned.

1 hour ago, A Woolf said:

Guys,

Alan

Berautifulf car, Alan. Congratulations. I hope to see it on an AACA showfield soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A Woolf said:

Guys,

Alan

Fantastic! Well deserved and thank you for sharing.

4 hours ago, A Woolf said:

Guys,

Alan

Alan, she is a beauty. Thanks for sharing the story. I wish I could’ve met your dad. He sounds like the kind of guy that I would’ve liked to hang around with. Glad to hear he lived a long rich life and you guys are carrying on his legacy. Don’t be bashful about sharing more of that beautiful car with us!

Bob, those stupid ID plates were used at the Greenwich Concours last year and they created more confusion and un-needed questions than you could possibly imagine. Before the meet I submitted, at their request, a sheet of description and the history of my car which apparently was not what was given when an individual clicked on the QR symbol, when you could see them. They were fastened to the ground in front of the car and people walked all over them. They would have been better placed on a vertical stand in front of or to the side of the vehicle.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2023 at 1:36 PM, alsancle said:

Well, I’m being facetious. But it’s a four-door grandpa car four on the floor.

Actually, it's a 3 speed manual, not a 4 speed.

Could be an original configuration...the 3 speed manual was the base level transmission on the Century. 

Edited by 95Cardinal
Removed model year reference (see edit history)

3 hours ago, 95Cardinal said:

Actually, it's a 3 speed manual, not a 4 speed.

Could be an original configuration...the 3 speed manual was the base level transmission on the Century. 

General Motors for couple decades did not like to sell base level features. My dad who was "smarter than everyone else" in 1968 bought the only new car he ever owned. And he ordered it how he wanted it! A midsize Chevrolet station wagon with inline six and three speed column shift and overdrive (among other things). The dealer and the factory fought him all the way! When he couldn't be talked into the V8 and automatic? They offered to give him the upgrades at no cost! When that didn't work, they tried to knock the final price down a sizeable chunk if he would accept the V8 and automatic for better than free! But he wanted the economical six and manual transmission!

He was told he would have to wait an extra amount of time for the car (more than a month more than the usual special order cars!). They told him that except for special fleet orders the factory didn't even stock the parts for how he wanted it! So why don't you just take the V8 and automatic for free????? No, he wanted it his way, even if he had to wait for it.

In the end, it really didn't work out all that well. The inline six was a piece of junk! The transmission and clutch were even worse. The shift linkage kept falling apart. The overdrive didn't work the first day out, and failed a few more times after being fixed. The clutch had issues, and he barely got just over one hundred thousand miles out of the engine before he had to give up on it! At 101K miles the engine was a wheezy gutless wonder, he hadn't had reverse at all for a couple thousand miles, and the shift linkage had fallen apart for the umpteenth time (not the reason for no reverse!).

They clearly did not want to build base level cars, and if someone insisted on wanting one? They were not going to get a well built car.

I am always surprised when I see base level cars of the '60s, '70s, and '80s. And I wonder how well built THEY are?

16 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Really? That's it? At a prestigious concours event like Amelia? One vague sentence about the car?

No wonder they're sinking.

Looked to me like a Hagerty advertisement. I thought most concours level events had a cutoff date of around 1972.