Bill Stoneberg

old-tank

With great sadness, I provide limited information on the death of my (our) great friend Bill Stoneberg.  He died this morning at 5:00 AM.  Per Bill’s instructions, he will be cremated and his ashes are to be scattered at the headwaters of the Guadalupe River.  In typical “Bill Fashion” there will be no funeral, service, or celebration of life.

• Thanks 3

When I first was attempting to join BCA online, there was some sort of error in the system and my application did not get through. I contacted Bill via the forum and he was able to help me get the issue resolved. I never had a chance to meet him in person, and if I recall correctly he and I certainly had some differences of opinion on some BCA matters over the years, but I am sorry to hear of his passing. May he rest in peace.  

• Thanks 1

I am very saddened to hear of Bills demise.  Bill did a lot for the BCA and helped at many of the National Meets. I am sorry he could not get that 60 finished and take it for a drive.  Rest in peace Bill.  And my condolences to his family. 

• Like 1

I was saddened to learn of Bill's passing today.  He was a great guy and BCA member.  I really enjoyed reading his "Working on the 1960 Electra" thread in the Post-War Forum.  I appreciate his contributions to the BCA over the years, too.  He will be missed.

Rest in peace, Bill.

Condolences to Dee and his family.

Willis Bell

• Like 1

Bill's significance to the BCA is probably under realized by the average membership. The club owes him a great debt as he, in his role as Treasurer and subsequently CFO, ensured the club is financially solvent for years to come when it was less certain prior to his taking on those efforts. He did this mostly quietly and behind the scenes, but his impact on the club is probably larger than that of most BCA Presidents.  Like most folks in a role such as that he caught grief from portions of the membership over financial management and though there were certainly times he and I agreed to disagree about a certain item here or there I always had tremendous trust for Bill as I knew he ultimately had the best interests of the club at heart first and foremost.

I was glad I got to see him at Auburn last year and he was definitely in good spirits at the time having driven his Cadillac for the trip and enjoying seeing everyone. I wish he would have finished the upgrades he was making to the '60. Condolences to Dee and his BCA family as I know several on this forum, like Willie, and beyond were very close with him, thus no doubt very distraught from the loss. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Brian just pointed out that Bill's contribution to the BCA may not be known or remembered by some Buick people.

2006 Bill was elected to the BCA Board,  he served on the board until John Ball left the board and Bill assumed the treasurer position

He continued there and with the approval of the Board,  became CFO to maintain financial continuity over the years. 

In 2010 Bill and Rick Young shouldered the National meet in Ames.... it seemed we might not have a meet that year until they stepped in and

assumed the responsibility.

I was shocked when I saw the announcement,  while we live in the same state and both belong to the Alamo Chapter,  Bill lives about about 120 miles

and about 2 hrs plus from me.  The Alamo chapter like many other has missed having many meetings because of Covid,  so it may have been 3 years since seeing him. 

Still can't believe I will not be seeing him again.......... sure hate loosing friends. 

Best to Dee and the family...... a big loss to all of us.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I will always have fond memories of Bill and Dee from our annual Buick gatherings at the Stagecoach Inn in Salado, Tx.  The event was held for over 20 years at the same place in April when the Texas Bluebonnets were blooming.  All 3 Texas BCA Chapters attended regularly.  Bill would bring his most recent craft beers that he made himself for all of us to try. He was a kind man and much respected by everyone.  He always had a smile. I will miss him for sure.

Here is a picture taken from the event in 2010.  Left to Right (All BCA Forum members): Roy Faries, Barney Eaton, Mike Middleton, Willie Pittman, Bill Stoneberg, the late David Corbin, Pete Phillips.

IMG_0462.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, TxBuicks said:

I will always have fond memories of Bill and Dee from our annual Buick gatherings at the Stagecoach Inn in Salado, Tx.  The event was held for over 20 years at the same place in April when the Texas Bluebonnets were blooming.  All 3 Texas BCA Chapters attended regularly.  Bill would bring his most recent craft beers that he made himself for all of us to try. He was a kind man and much respected by everyone.  He always had a smile. I will miss him for sure.

Here is a picture taken from the event in 2010.  Left to Right (All BCA Forum members): Roy Faries, Barney Eaton, Mike Middleton, Willie Pittman, Bill Stoneberg, the late David Corbin, Pete Phillips.

IMG_0462.JPG

Great photo!! That's an amazing crew of TX BCA Members.

6 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Brian just pointed out that Bill's contribution to the BCA may not be known or remembered by some Buick people.

2006 Bill was elected to the BCA Board,  he served on the board until John Ball left the board and Bill assumed the treasurer position

He continued there and with the approval of the Board,  became CFO to maintain financial continuity over the years. 

In 2010 Bill and Rick Young shouldered the National meet in Ames.... it seemed we might not have a meet that year until they stepped in and

assumed the responsibility.

In addition he was a chapter director, set up some regional meets, was on the National Meet committee and was a judge at meets many times.

Once he asked:  "Hey Willie do you want to help us set up the show field?...it will be fun"  "As long as you buy the beer" (and he did after both of us probably walked over 5 miles)

As busy as he was he would call me at about 5pm and say "we'll pick you up at 6pm...I found a restaurant that has some tasty beers".  Bill always found the best places to eat with well poured beer and booze. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just getting here and am shocked and saddened to hear this news. Firstly, my condolences to you Willie, I know y’all were very close friends. Bill was such a personable guy, so easy to talk with, always ready to share a smile and a beer. I will miss my friend. My condolences also to Dee and his family. Gods speed Bill, we all will miss you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2022 at 3:56 PM, old-tank said:

In typical “Bill Fashion” there will be no funeral, service, or celebration of life.

How about a write up in the next Bugle?  

Bill and I exchanged a lot of PMs over the past 12+ years.  I still remember his 1950 Super Estate Wagon at the Ames National.  Of course he sold it but to me when someone brings back a Buick and puts it back into the “gene pool” of restored cars that is something special.  30 + years from now that 1950 Super Estate Wagon will still owe its existence to Bill and sourcing (or making I can’t remember) those “unobtainium” rear hatch parts.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So sad to hear.

Bill was a true Buick Enthusiast, a great friend to all.

He gave so much to us in the BCA that can never truly be measured.

He had the courage to standup and sound off about the BCA's finances and then worked to correct them with countless hours of dedication.

I had a chance to work with him closely when, by his suggestion, the Ames, Iowa  Event took place.

Best to you Bill,

Deepest regrets to Dee.

Rick Young

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

There was a memorial service for Bill in Kerrville TX  this past Saturday.    

Although I have know him for about 25 years I did learn a few thing. 

Bill was actually  William Arthur Stoneberg III    He was the oldest of 3 brothers. 

His younger brother Peter attended from Napa  CA   middle brother is under the weather and could not 

attend.    Bill and Dee were married for 27 years, having met and married in Houston.  

There were about 35 people in attendance comprised of family,  people from the church,  just friends and

8 Buick club members/friends.    I rode to Kerrville with Jerry Courson good thing the service was at 1pm

as it takes a little over 2 hours to get there from where we live.   There was a gathering after the service at

a local brew pub and that also consumed part of the day.   I got home at 7 pm.

PS  It appears the 1960 Buick he was working on will be finished by the friend that has been helping Bill with 

the project.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5