For the members who complain about shipping parts.

George Smolinski

In our area, USPS is "We left your package in somebody's driveway. You may want to drive around for awhile and look for it."

A few months back, I actually did have to drive around, and found my three boxes in someone else's driveway, on the wrong street! We have had to complain so many times about lost and misdirected deliveries, that I am sure they have a file on us saying we are nothing but disgruntled customers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My daughter -in-law got a call from a police officer a few days ago claiming to have found a package for her lying along side the roadway about 6 miles from her home. By chance he knew her and made the delivery! It's anyone's guess how it ended up on the road! We also had one package shipped from Arkansas to PA. that made 2 trips to California before it ever got to PA! Fast service no matter how long it takes!

It’s getting so bad now we only used FedEx…….which is ten times too much money, and their service in in the crapper. There are NO guarantee delivery days or times because of the COVID excuse………..it’s asinine.

UPs, USPS, are just a waste of time.

• Like 2

SO before all the Covid crisis. shipping wasn't really terrible - not cheap, but at least it got there. I shipped a pair of headlamps for a 1931 Chrysler Imperial CG to a friend in England, by Fedex, went to Belgium or France  first I think as I guess that is where the crates of parcels were going at the time . He got the lamps though .

Now magazines are being delayed from being printed because the paper that is going to the printer is sitting some place and is awaiting delivery for use!  I am amazed our AACA magazine and the Buick Club magazine arrive in a timely manner. The Buick Club is a monthly glossy magnificent publication!

With the lack of most car activities ( club meetings, shows, cruise nights, flea markets etc) the magazines/publications is what keeps all of us squirrels from going crazy ( nuts??!!) plus all should be so thankful for these forums, I know I am.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I suppose its all about where you live. I use a mail depot to ship, almost always Fed Ex has the lowest prices and I always use them. I bought a service from someone in MI and he refused to use Fed Ex would only use UPS. Said that Fed Ex was unreliable. Ive never had problems with them in my area. The Fed Ex truck and UPS are as regular as the USPS on my street. Every day, just about the same time.

USPS media mail has really become a problem.  I pretty much stopped using it,  except for my extremely frugal customers and tell them 3 states away may take two months to arrive.  That's not a joke.  Hell even NY to NY address took 6 weeks.  Could have strapped it to a snail and literally got there faster. 

I now upgrade at my expense almost everything to 1st or Priority.  Sucks as it's only a dollar or two but that really adds up when it's 5 - 10 shipments a day. 

Internationally I have started using UPS.  If you use Pirate Ship to buy your postage from,  they have insanely good rates and the estimated times are in days not weeks.   I use Pirate Ship for all my shipping needs nopw and they just buy the postage from USPS and UPS.  They seem to be an excellent company with really good customer service,  unlike ebay. 

I will say one thing i find funny is if I search anything from bicycles , to power tools to my wife searching women's clothing (I don't search that for myself, LOL) or even a special toilet we were looking for, you get for a week or more ads on the side of every page on google  or as mentioned facebook or whatever major site you go to,  for those items.  Yet when you look up anything gun related,  even if it's on Amazon,  from Bullets, to targets to even cleaning supplies you will not see a single ad for any of those products ever.  The only exception is Youtube which usually only comes up when you are watching a video about setting a gun up a review or by someone that might be very pro gun that hasn't yet been banned.  Doesn't matter where one may stand on gun ownership,  I find that very odd.  Almost like they are trying to control content or something,  but it couldn't be that. ;) 

4 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

In our area, USPS is "We left your package in somebody's driveway. You may want to drive around for awhile and look for it."

A few months back, I actually did have to drive around, and found my three boxes in someone else's driveway, on the wrong street! We have had to complain so many times about lost and misdirected deliveries, that I am sure they have a file on us saying we are nothing but disgruntled customers.

As another resident of Commifornia, we have the exact same problem with the USPS.  Clearly marked packages, with a neighborhood of clearly marked streets, and houses with addresses visible, yet the postal delivery personnel can’t deliver packages to the correct address.   On the plus side we are getting to know our neighbors and the issue is bringing our neighborhood together.   

• Like 2

That was some good humor George! Made my day. I will put in my 2 cents just for fun.

Our postal carrier in Colorado was GREAT!. She always brought our mail to our door when we had packages with it.

Our postal service here in Oregon is Not so Great. I had a couple of times when the mail carrier pulled in our driveway which is about 100' off the road and then just leave the package at the end of the sidewalk on the ground. Couldn't even walk another 50' to the front door. Another time I saw the postal carrier pull in past the house and then leave.

I was curious, so I went outside and found a package at the rear of the house on the ground by the rear gate. If I hadn't had seen them, I would have never know the package was even there! We have even complained about receiving mail and packages for the previous owners to the local office and have marked the packages with Return to Sender and they still get delivered again a few days later. 

I must say, the world as we know it is going downhill rapidly and it is sad to see.

• Like 2

Sent a insurance payment from College Station to San Antonio (180 miles) 15 days ago and hadn't arrived yesterday.   Sent an overnight to Florida and tracking showed it sat in Houston for 12 days.  Typical of USPS in our area.  

Fifty years in business, thousands of mailings, The USPS has never lost a piece or broke anything. Challenging times for the USPS these days.

Fedex recently left a valuable envelope with an address on it nothing like ours down the road somewhere at another address because the one on the envelope doesn't exist. Deliver it somewhere is the motto I suppose. The person at the house where it was delivered knew where we live and delivered it himself.  Ups delivered a bumper that was coming here to a building side down the road with no address listed yet. Leave it somewhere, I cannot understand how delivery people can just leave something at a strange location just to get rid of it.  Jim43

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

This just happened this week to us

UPS is the only service that bothers to deliver to our home.  FedEx will dump packages at one of the neighbor's homes, their mailboxes (despite our mailbox being clearly marked with large numbers AND it being a Federal Offense to deliver there) or just leave them somewhere on the road.  I beg and plead with companies to not send by FedEx but when they insist or that's their only option, I get boxes sent to a local company who will receive packages for a nominal cost ($5) and hold them for me.  

Postal Service?  Don't get me started on how asinine they are.  When we moved in a couple decades ago, we had a contractor delivering our mail.  He did such a lousy job, they hired him as a permanent employee.  At one point after several complaints about not receiving our mail (but did get the neighbors' mail) he showed up on our front porch 800' off the road.  He 'went postal' on my other half who closed the door and went back inside the house.  We learned later that it should have been reported as Trespassing and Assault.  Anyhow, we pay hundreds of $$$ every year for a PO Box.  There have been issues with that but less than having mail attempted to be delivered to our house.  

4 minutes ago, F&J said:

Do you really want to mail out your rare parts for repairs or re-chrome?

Not anymore in today's world. I am sticking with the local guys for buying and selling from now one. Closed out all my online accounts as I see it getting worse in the future. In person only for me.

Looking at the amount of open parcels strewn along the tracks, it appears this has been going one for weeks or months.  One must explain why the open doors with the seals broken were not reported and dealt with upon arrival at the shipping terminal on a regular basis.   No one should have signed any receiving papers, with a simple "subject to inspection" note on it.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Bhigdog said:

What a F***ing cesspool. I truly don't know how/why the folks that live there can stand it.............Bob

Last I heard, East LA IS a cesspool!

Keep in mind, valuable parcels via railway container do travel through some of the worst run down neighborhoods in the bigger cities.

Craig