Did You Build That?

Aaron65

This year especially, I've noticed that the first thing people ask me when I'm driving one of my old cars is something along the lines of "Did you build that?" or "Do you do your own work?" or "Did you restore that?".  To me, that's almost like asking someone how much they make a year.  My cars are basically 3s and 4s, and I buy cars that need TLC and do those improvements over time.  I actually do most of my own work, including bodywork and mechanical rebuilds; but if I'm short on time, a specific tool, don't feel like doing something, or just flat run out of talent, I'm not ashamed of farming it out.  Therefore, it's a complicated answer, and I wouldn't call any of my cars "restored." 

With that being said, I wouldn't dream of approaching a stranger and attempting to shame them if they didn't do their own work.  Am I the only one who finds this question a little rude?  I'll simply say "Nice car," and if they feel like talking, I may ask them something more specific about it.  Just a random thought on a Sunday after filling a car up at the gas station and hearing that question for the 25th time this year.  

My take..anyone doing that kind of work is getting more rare these days.  Meeting someone who does might be the reason for asking, perhaps in the vein of maybe I can learn to do that too.  In my neighborhood it’s rare to see anyone lift a hood on their car.  Of course the need to do that is greatly diminished with modern cars.  When I was a Boy Scout leader I would have a lesson with kids on what happens under the hood.  I’m sure that is not very common anymore.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Most people today can't  do their own work, or don't try because they think they will screw it up or not be able to put it back together if they took it apart. There are very few "old timers" out there to learn from . Even removing a spark plug and cleaning and setting the gap correctly. I have seen this here on long island in the village I live in and nearby towns for the past 25 years. Very sad but people even if they have the time don't want to take the time. Afraid of getting their hands dirty, scraped , perhaps have to put a band aide on to stop the bleeding from a scratch. It is reality.

If I told them the shape my hands were in from just doing the prep and paint work on the chassis up restoration I did for two pre war cars they would look at me in horror. Just some of us "crazies" want to do that, take the pride in accomplishment even if it takes 3 times as long as a professional.

• Like 9

The great thing about forums such as this one is that we see a variety of people who think like we do and have some technical skills.  It's therefore easy to forget that people like us aren't a majority in the "real world."  Good points, both.  

• Thanks 2

The "how much is it worth?" question is a dead giveaway the person asking knows nothing about the car in question.   The only answer it will elicit is a number, then the conversation dies.  It almost on par with the "so, when did you stop beating your wife?' question.

• Haha 1

I seldom get asked if I restore  my old cars. If I do get asked, I'm happy to tell the truth and say no, so-n-so did the work. 

Nor do I get the "whats it worth" question much.

I'm just happy to talk about my cars. Generally people are curious, bring up memories, and are appreciative of the car and my time.

Part of the fun and joy of owning an old car.

My recent projects are VW Camper Vans.  Kids light up when I encourage them go get in and climb around!

• Like 4

IMHO, if someone was to ask that question, I would be proud to answer yes. I’m doing 99% of the work. We all should be proud. I know I am. Dad always said to be proud of what you did on a vehicle. I work hard doing the restoration on the fire truck. I have done almost everything on it at this point and I’m proud to say so. Mike

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I do not think it is at all rude to ask a person I he did the restoration himself. It maybe from someone with a similar project that can lead to a conversation about his own project. Many times, I have asked an owner I they did the work and if so, would lead to more questions about something specific.  If you see me, please ask. I may be considered a “Backyard Restorer” but I am proud of my #2 or 3 restoration. However, I would never ask how much it would be worth or how much paid.

Built, not Bought!

Edited by Alex D. (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Aaron65 said:

This year especially, I've noticed that the first thing people ask me when I'm driving one of my old cars is something along the lines of "Did you build that?" or "Do you do your own work?" or "Did you restore that?".  To me, that's almost like asking someone how much they make a year.  My cars are basically 3s and 4s, and I buy cars that need TLC and do those improvements over time.  I actually do most of my own work, including bodywork and mechanical rebuilds; but if I'm short on time, a specific tool, don't feel like doing something, or just flat run out of talent, I'm not ashamed of farming it out.  Therefore, it's a complicated answer, and I wouldn't call any of my cars "restored." 

With that being said, I wouldn't dream of approaching a stranger and attempting to shame them if they didn't do their own work.  Am I the only one who finds this question a little rude?  I'll simply say "Nice car," and if they feel like talking, I may ask them something more specific about it.  Just a random thought on a Sunday after filling a car up at the gas station and hearing that question for the 25th time this year.  

Yes, I do my own work, less chrome plating, upholstery and electrical, and it wouldn't bother me if anyone askes. What is it worth? Less than a new pickup truck. What really bothers me is someone that states in conversation or on a forum that they DRIVE their car and ENJOY it, as if collecting parts, research, working on a project, swap meets, or conversing with friends isn't a bigger part of enjoying the hobby.

Bob 

I'm very appreciative when someone asks if I did the work on one of my cars. Contrary to taking umbridge I see it as a sign of interest in the car and the willingness to start a conversation. I have a number of cars running the gamut from condition 1-5. Each one has a story that I'm always pleased to share with someone who is truly interested. In my world there is no alternative reality. The car's history should speak for itself, but since it can't I feel that it's important to speak to the history as I know it. Conversely I feel no reluctance at asking a question of an owner, especially if I think the car is an unrestored survivor. After all it should be more about the car then the owner.

The unrestored original car often goes unnoticed on a field of cars with shiny paint. On several of my original cars we've attached to the side window a short abbreviated history of the car. My better half and I are not generally prone to want to plunk our butts down on a lawn chair behind our car and answer questions.  

We no longer live in the 80's or 90's when every car had to be restored, or was just waiting it's turn at restoration. I honestly don't know why anyone would be embarrassed by the work done, or by whom it was done, after all it has survived while most of its brethren haven't.  

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

We no longer live in the 80's or 90's when every car had to be restored, or was just waiting it's turn at restoration. I honestly don't know why anyone would be embarrassed by the work done, or by whom it was done, after all it has survived while most of its brethren haven't.  

Judging by the replies, I think I'm in the minority!  Not the first time... :)

I'm never embarrassed by my own work, as I could hardly care less what people think about me or my cars.  I simply think the question is meant to belittle an owner who doesn't know how to do the work or chooses to have it done by someone else, or imply that if they didn't do the work, they don't deserve to own the car.  Like I said, that doesn't really apply to me, but I think it it sends a bad message.  Maybe it's just the tone I notice with people around here.  Maybe I'm being cynical...that also wouldn't be the first time.  :)   

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Aaron65 said:

"Did you build that?" or "Do you do your own work?" or "Did you restore that?".  To me, that's almost like asking someone how much they make a year. 

I like people to ask me those questions. Not at all like how much money do I make. Maybe they need some help with their project, or just amazed someone knows something about cars any more.😄

Maybe a lead in to a new AACA member? Our local club is trying to figure out how to add new members. Driving our cars is step number one. Talking to people who notice them is number two.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Aaron65 said:

Judging by the replies, I think I'm in the minority!  Not the first time... :)

I'm never embarrassed by my own work, as I could hardly care less what people think about me or my cars.  I simply think the question is meant to belittle an owner who doesn't know how to do the work or chooses to have it done by someone else, or imply that if they didn't do the work, they don't deserve to own the car.  Like I said, that doesn't really apply to me, but I think it it sends a bad message.  Maybe it's just the tone I notice with people around here.  Maybe I'm being cynical...that also wouldn't be the first time.  :)   

This is how it comes across to me as well. The whole "built not bought" garbage is simply a way to discriminate against those who can't do their own work or are simply too busy with their family and real life to spend the time. 

Besides, the people who actually built it were the people on the production line in Detroit, South Bend or a thousand other places. 

Furthermore, experts are experts for a reason. If you want the best you go to the experts. Did you remove your own appendix? Drill your own cavities? I'm guessing you went to an expert rather than doing it yourself.

Edited by Billy Kingsley (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've never found those questions to be intrusive or degrading. Some folks still appreciate someone who can or at least try to do things for themselves. I'm proud of what I can do or try to do even if it's not show quality. I think having a hands on experience draws one closer to the project and adds a greater satisfaction when the project is completed! Also, the person who does their own work has a greater overall knowledge of the vehicle. Besides, in my area, if you don't do it, you may not find anyone who will! I've always been more put out with the guys who brag about what they've accomplished in a restoration, but never touched the project themselves!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Walt G said:

If I told them the shape my hands were in from just doing the prep and paint work on the chassis up restoration I did for two pre war cars they would look at me in horror. Just some of us "crazies" want to do that, take the pride in accomplishment even if it takes 3 times as long as a professional.

I agree with this.

Especially when the photos in your album that's on display at a show & shine of the restoration shows its YOUR OWN GARAGE where it was torn apart and rebuilt!

Craig

15 hours ago, Aaron65 said:

Am I the only one who finds this question a little rude? 

Nope!  not at all!  I've been asked that several times at a car show.   

If you have a personal problem with it, then you must be ashamed of your own work, or the fact that you had to farm it out.

Craig

• Haha 1

I worked in a restoration shop as a kid and have been heavily involved in the hobby for decades (sigh).  I try to do as much as I can but like most things in life there is a huge difference between an amateur and a pro.  I’m not offended if someone asks.  Also, I like the guys who have done work for me and want to talk them up whenever I can.

I have tremendous respect for the guys that do most of their own work.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

. Did you remove your own appendix? 

No i don't, I hate the sight of blood!

But give me grease and oil and I am in heaven!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Most of the general public will never understand the passion we have that is on going even after decades ( when most of us should by now be saying its time to take a rest - Define  rest, What's that? - rest is when you are asleep )

Also much of the general public may feel that the vehicles we have get carefully and gently  used because they may break or get dirty.

Some decades ago I was driving my 1931 Franklin to an event and the skies above were very cloudy with the forecast of some rain.  As I sat at a traffic light a fellow pulls up next to me and rolls his window down. He asks me "what are you going to do if it rains? " and points to the sky with a very concerned worried look on his face.  I reached up and pulled the tiny knob at the end of the vacuum wiper motor that was above the windshield frame and the wipers started to work.  He saw that and got so MAD, red in the face, angry expression. The light changed and he floored it , smoked the rear tires etc. on his car .  I just looked on and started /continued my drive somewhat bewildered.

I guess he expected me to cower in fear and dismay because that is obviously what he would experience if it were his car and it got "moisturized".

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

This is how it comes across to me as well. The whole "built not bought" garbage is simply a way to discriminate against those who can't do their own work or are simply too busy with their family and real life to spend the time. 

Besides, the people who actually built it were the people on the production line in Detroit, South Bend or a thousand other places. 

Furthermore, experts are experts for a reason. If you want the best you go to the experts. Did you remove your own appendix? Drill your own cavities? I'm guessing you went to an expert rather than doing it yourself.

Garbage?

The “Built Not Bought” saying is in no way to discriminate against those that for any reason cannot or do not do their own work! It shows pride in, hey I built this or I restored this, or I built this from a kit.

When I rebuild an engine, yes, I will take it to an expert machinist to turn the crank, install sleeves, grind valves and etc. I then will assemble(build) the engine myself. I do my own body and paint. When I need a panel fabricated and if I don’t have the proper tooling for the job, I take it to an expert right down the road.

I’m so sorry my “built not bought” offends you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I take no offense when someone asks me if I restored a car myself.  I have no restoration skills, and I admit it to someone who asks.  I say my checkbook did the work, and the hardest part was finding the right name to enter as payee.  I say I do my own tinkering and minor maintenance, and drive my cars every chance I get.  I'll give a ride to anyone who looks as if s/he'd like one.  If someone asks to take a picture of me behind the wheel, I'll invite him/her to get behind the wheel and let me take a picture for him/her.  I wish I had developed manual skills. I didn't, and at age 85 I never will, but I still enjoy and share the hobby.  And I have great admiration for those who can do the work.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alex D. said:

Garbage?

The “Built Not Bought” saying is in no way to discriminate against those that for any reason cannot or do not do their own work! It shows pride in, hey I built this or I restored this, or I built this from a kit.

When I rebuild an engine, yes, I will take it to an expert machinist to turn the crank, install sleeves, grind valves and etc. I then will assemble(build) the engine myself. I do my own body and paint. When I need a panel fabricated and if I don’t have the proper tooling for the job, I take it to an expert right down the road.

Thanks, Alex.

Well said.

Ben

• Like 2

post-41405-14314298061_thumb.pngI have been asked if I did the restoration, I always say “No”, my enjoyment is driving the car.  I was born in 1942 & the Hupmobile is a 1931.  The interesting question is “Did you buy it new?”  My original response was “No”, later I might say “Think about it.”, now I smile & say “Yes”.  The time line requires me to purchase the Hupmobile 9 years before my birth.

Edited by huptoy
Post photo of car. (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

As Terry mentions in the second post that it's unusual to see anyone in his neighborhood with the hood up on their car. Well, my 16 year old grand daughter is taking Drivers Ed. Now, my grand daughter is no stranger to my cars and helps me when ever she can. Her Drivers Ed has about 24 kids in the class. The teacher asked "who knows what a dip stick is" and the only kid to raise her hand was my grand daughter. When he asked how she knew that, she showed the teacher a picture of my car's and he was stunned that she is allowed to work on those cars. When she gets her license I'll allow her to drive one of them to school and show him and if he want's, take him for a ride.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alex D. said:

Garbage?

You know darn well there's a difference between someone who's proud of their work vs. the person asking that question. I guess you've never been to car shows? 

11 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

Did you remove your own appendix? Drill your own cavities? I'm guessing you went to an expert rather than doing it yourself.

I actually have performed some minor medical procedures on myself and couple of (car guy) buddies in our youth. Some were things most doctors probably wouldn’t attempt to do to themselves.

For the few surgeries I’ve received over the years, I’ve always asked if they would prop up a mirror and keep me awake enough so I could watch what they’re doing or at least, video record it all.
Not because I didn’t trust their work, but merely because I was very interested in the mechanical/technical part of the “procedure”, how the effected “part” was before/after and more so, I was really interested to see what I look like inside.

On the other hand, just because someone is perceived as an “expert” doesn’t necessarily mean he/she can provide better or even reasonably good service at whatever the given field of that “expertise” relates to, be it automotive, medical or …

As for doing the work on my own cars, well that’s how I got started with this hobby and it eventually evolved into the  profession I’ve had 30+ years and counting. And being mostly a one-man ensemble, I still do most of the work on clients cars myself also (although would love to find good help to employ).

Ironically, after 30+ years and tens of thousands of miles, my Roadster engine suffered a considerable failure week ago Sunday, but being that I’m nearly overwhelmed with client work, I don’t have time to deal with myself. Luckily, a good friend (hands-on builder) stopped by the next day and volunteered to assist with my engine.

Now I just hope my trusted machine shop and parts suppliers can come through in timely manner since my wife has made plans and reservations for a few day road trip (in the Roadster) up to the Sierras in about a month from now.

And someone mentioned or made a reference to my ENJOYMENT of old cars by DRIVING them being lesser part of the hobby than research, collecting parts, working on the car (indefinitely?), etc. 

Well, while all important parts of the process, research, parts, hands-on work, etc, only represent means to an end, which is to have a great and fully functional car to ENJOY by DRIVING as it was originally intended.

For me, building or owning cars without actually using them for their originally intended purpose is like building a great garage/shop but never put anything into it, buying/having/making custom tailored clothing or shoes but never wear them, “collecting” rare whiskeys or wines but never drink them or having a beautiful/hot/lovely girlfriend(s)/wife but never sleep with her/them, etc…

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Well, this has been an interesting discussion, and I hope nobody's been put off by either side.  I tend to root for the underdog, so yesterday I imagined how I might feel if I didn't do much of my own work, and asked the question accordingly.  I think the majority has spoken, so I'll let it go from now on when someone asks (or at least I'll attempt to).  :) 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Walt G said:

Also much of the general public may feel that the vehicles we have get carefully and gently  used because they may break or get dirty.

Some decades ago I was driving my 1931 Franklin to an event and the skies above were very cloudy with the forecast of some rain.  As I sat at a traffic light a fellow pulls up next to me and rolls his window down. He asks me "what are you going to do if it rains? " and points to the sky with a very concerned worried look on his face.  I reached up and pulled the tiny knob at the end of the vacuum wiper motor that was above the windshield frame and the wipers started to work.  He saw that and got so MAD, red in the face, angry expression. The light changed and he floored it , smoked the rear tires etc. on his car .  I just looked on and started /continued my drive somewhat bewildered.

I guess he expected me to cower in fear and dismay because that is obviously what he would experience if it were his car and it got "moisturized".

I'm just thankful one of our local club members here didn't encounter him when he drove his '29 Dodge to Texas!

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/on-the-road-determination-trumps-sanity

Craig

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Walt G said:

Most of the general public will never understand the passion we have that is on going even after decades ( when most of us should by now be saying its time to take a rest - Define  rest, What's that? - rest is when you are asleep )

Beleive it or not, It did rain in the 1930's too.   While I always carry a few towels, rain is not a big threat to the fun of

driving any  of my cars.

I fondly remember driving our 1934 Ford Phaeton on the 2001 Glidden Tour out of Mackinaw City in Michigan.  Rained every     

day and never got above 43 degrees.  The four of us in the car still had fun with fogged up eisenglass side curtains and other     great old cars all around us.

That was 20 years ago right now and 3 weeks after 911 and we all had fun, seems like last year. 2001Glidden.jpg.861297eab2543ec3ea37e9cd660a8176.jpgyear!

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Aron,

I hope you see that a perfect car isn't really necessary to enjoy the hobby. A real car person will accept almost any car and owner for they are. A negative or even hurtful comment is really rare, and it says far more about the person asking the question then it does about the owner. Just be prepared to answer the questions authoritatively and civilly. You never know maybe maybe you can really teach the guy something. A chip on one's shoulder can really be a weighty burden. It's better to get rid of it before it brings you to your knees.

8 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Aron,

I hope you see that a perfect car isn't really necessary to enjoy the hobby. A real car person will accept almost any car and owner for they are. A negative or even hurtful comment is really rare, and it says far more about the person asking the question then it does about the owner. Just be prepared to answer the questions authoritatively and civilly. You never know maybe maybe you can really teach the guy something. A chip on one's shoulder can really be a weighty burden. It's better to get rid of it before it brings you to your knees.

From my previous comment:

"I'm never embarrassed by my own work, as I could hardly care less what people think about me or my cars." 

I live and breathe cars.  I've always loved "well-used" cars but also have a couple of nicer ones - I'm perhaps the poster child for really enjoying less-than-perfect cars.  These questions about doing my own work annoyed me more in the abstract, which I thought I made clear, but if you can judge me as having a chip on my shoulder based on one offhand internet query, you're a better man than I.  

• Like 1

I have never been bothered by that question. I think most people ask because they would like to carry on a conversation and that seems to them a good place to start.  While I do most of my own work including bodywork  and paint I currently have a speedster that I did not build. I have no problem telling people that I purchased it.  The guys that want to look down on your not building are few and far between for me anyways, and they re not worth the time. The guys and gals that may ask that do their own work I think most can appreciate we all are not in a position to do that for whatever reason. Hell for me life can get so busy with work (self employed) and family that I can go six months or more without being able to get serious shop time in.  Building cars or motorcycles is not for everyone, but it was never a requirement to enjoy older vehicles.  Enjoy and ignore the negative people out there. Theya re probably jealous because they can't afford to buy a car.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

You know darn well there's a difference between someone who's proud of their work vs. the person asking that question. I guess you've never been to car shows? 

What does that remark have to do with the price of eggs.

While attending the Mobtown Greaseball Show this past weekend with my 52 Plymouth that I had shoe horned in a Firedome Hemi from a 56 DESoto I was asked a dozen questions about how I went about getting a certain result. Being that the car was built by me and not Bought, I could answer any question in detail and also give advice to someone doing a similar project and happy to do so. I get many complements on what I have accomplished and it feels good to know there are those that appreciate what I had built. I enjoy talking to people about their cars whether they built it or bought it. It’s my Hobby and my hobby is not my post count.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2