Did You Build That?

Aaron65

I was at an all Pontiac show this past summer. I was parked beside a beautiful 67 sprint 6 firebird. Got to talking with the owner for quite awhile. The topic of restoration came up and some how I brought up that I did all of the work to my Trans Am. The guy asked if I owned a body shop. When I told him I was a carpenter he about fell out of his chair. It was kinda funny but whenever someone came up and looked at my car he made a point to tell them I did all the work and that I was not a pro body guy.  I was def. flattered and am proud of the work I did. BUT, I did it to suit me not anyone else. I am glad others can see it though.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I was at an all Pontiac show this past summer. I was parked beside a beautiful 67 sprint 6 firebird. Got to talking with the owner for quite awhile. The topic of restoration came up and some how I brought up that I did all of the work to my Trans Am. The guy asked if I owned a body shop. When I told him I was a carpenter he about fell out of his chair. It was kinda funny but whenever someone came up and looked at my car he made a point to tell them I did all the work and that I was not a pro body guy.  I was def. flattered and am proud of the work I did. BUT, I did it to suit me not anyone else. I am glad others can see it though.

After 13 years doing autobody restoration and paint I went into home remodeling, I'd built our house along the way too. Similar skills in both trades, different lines in related conversations. "I'd do it myself, but I don't have the time or tools" was my favorite. The favorite line from the wife's on day one was, "My husband can't do anything with his hands." My reply was "Can he sign a check every week?"

Bob

10 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

After 13 years doing autobody restoration and paint I went into home remodeling, I'd built our house along the way too. Similar skills in both trades, different lines in related conversations. "I'd do it myself, but I don't have the time or tools" was my favorite. The favorite line from the wife's on day one was, "My husband can't do anything with his hands." My reply was "Can he sign a check every week?"

Bob

Bob,  I think some people don't know what they don't know.   I learned a long time ago that honesty with regard to your own abilities serves you best and I'll readily admit when I have no idea what I'm doing.

• Like 3

AJ, sometimes its not what you know but who you know!  Something Pop used to say was to know your limitations. There are people that specialize in certain things and know their craft well, let them do the heavy lifting so to speak. For me, I readily admit I know nothing about motors. I will tear a car apart, rebuild, body work, paint etc. any day of the week. I have a guy to do my motors (although not so quick right now 😕).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Bob,  I think some people don't know what they don't know.   I learned a long time ago that honesty with regard to your own abilities serves you best and I'll readily admit when I have no idea what I'm doing.

I have always had the saying " I may not know what I am doing, But that doesn't mean that I can't get it right". 

• Like 2