Useless tools.

padgett

In short since we no longer have Craftsman (now at Ace) or Penncraft tools with lifetime guarantees & periodic catalogs to drool over and many cannot afford Snap-On, HF and Amazon are pretty much what is left. And like JC Whitney (Washawski to westerners) you have to be very careful what you buy (never saw a 3/4 size replica of a tire iron before). At least with HF stores everywhere (three within 5 miles of my home) you can at least look at what you are buying.

As to old wrenches, if one end breaks I cut off and make a stubby out of the good end, every now and again one is handy.

17 hours ago, AURktman said:

In all seriousness, I've never gotten a stud finder to work.  I just use my knuckles to find the stud and hope I hit the center.  

My wife USED to say that the STUD FINDER always pointed to ME-

Of course that way many years ago ...

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

If the flex hose is long enough you can lie the gun on the floor, hold the hose tight to the Zerk, and press the handle down with your free hand. That is not an armchair observation.

Been there - done that too many times,

and between arthritis and trigger finger, it doesn't get any easier.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

I hope everyone knows to stay away from HF jack stands!!!!

Some other things are OK from their store, just be picky what you get. 

I dont like jack stands period. I think I have 8 or 10 of them. WHEN I use them always double of triple them up. No hf models.

I had a screw driver with a broken tip, kinda made a v shape. That has become my go to tool when removing spot welds on sheet metal. Has become a very handy tool!

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

If the flex hose is long enough you can lie the gun on the floor, hold the hose tight to the Zerk, and press the handle down with your free hand. That is not an armchair observation.

That's exactly how I do it, which is why I can appreciate the battery powered option. 😉

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

That's 'cause you work on semi-modern stuff, Bernie.  I'd need a 2-foot flex hose on the old iron due to more ground clearance.  So the grease gun body is often braced against my chest while I hold the hose on with one hand and work the handle with the other.  Come on, guys, admit you do that too!  🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've always been of the opinion that electric can openers were pretty useless. Unless you work in an institutional kitchen and open 100 or more cans of food every day. Or you're handicapped.

Not all manual can openers are created equal, however. We have one that's very good - it has a sharp blade that slices open the very top edge of the side of the can, not the top. It's worked perfectly without sharpening for probably 10-15 years. Takes no longer to use than an electric unit AND fits in a drawer.

To me, the idea of an electric can opener is akin to Steve Martin's comic line about owning a gasoline powered turtleneck sweater. 😄 And yet I think a lot of folks have electric can openers.

Electric can openers aren't totally useless if you have cats.

Just start the can opener and the sound will have every cat in the house right at your feet meowing like crazy in seconds.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

That's the gourmet stuff. The stuff in little bitty overpriced tins.

Ours were always fine with whatever brand was on sale that week, dry or wet. One developed a dislike for dry Little Friskies, and another had a thing for vie-eeners (vienna sausage) but the cats ate well. Too well as they lost interest in mouse control.

I was trying to check out at the grocery a few weeks back and somehow managed to get behind a guy who had half a cart full of the gourmet cat food cans. They were on sale and guess he was stocking up. Asked the teenage cashier how many cans the guy bought and he said "I quit counting at 80".

🐈

3 hours ago, JamesR said:

To me, the idea of an electric can opener is akin to Steve Martin's comic line about owning a gasoline powered turtleneck sweater. 😄 And yet I think a lot of folks have electric can openers.

Mad comic's strip about useless tools and presents. The 'Chrome plated swizzle stick' has stuck in my head for 60+ years.  It was right on the money, as usual. Right up there with 'home knitted yoghurt'.

The exhaust tube expander which burst on the first application could be my worst useless tool, but it has some stiff competition from the arc welder attchment suposedly used for spot welding from one side of the metal. Brilliant for burning holes in sheet metal.

Edited by Bush Mechanic
structure (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesR said:

I've always been of the opinion that electric can openers were pretty useless. Unless you work in an institutional kitchen and open 100 or more cans of food every day. Or you're handicapped.

Not all manual can openers are created equal, however. We have one that's very good - it has a sharp blade that slices open the very top edge of the side of the can, not the top. It's worked perfectly without sharpening for probably 10-15 years. Takes no longer to use than an electric unit AND fits in a drawer.

I still have my P38 can opener from my Army days. Use it all the time. (especially when I forget that I have an electric can opener)

• Like 3

By far, my vote for the most useless tool are those reverse spiral screw extractors. They are supposed to remove the stub when a bolt or screw breaks in the hole. I have never had one of those work. If a bolt is stuck enough to break off, those tools do not put enough force to unstick them either. They either slip or break off also. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2021 at 8:49 AM, Ronnie said:

You can probably pickup a stud finder at your local bar that will work. Cost varies depending on the options you want. 🤣

I quit doing that at the end of my Army days (late 90’s) as most had too much “rust” and other issues.  

• Haha 1

My friend was joking around about "metric hammers" and looked at me like I was crazy when I told him that there was such a thing. We bet $1.00 (big spenders) and I showed him a website called "Dieter Schmid Fine Tools". They sell Japanese, metric hammers, that are a work of art.