WARNING All of our cars could be outlawed!

WARNING one political party wants to ban all of our old cars and the fuels to power them. I know we are not supposed to discuss politics here. But they are attacking our hobby. If we can't have our cars and drive them then we will not have a club anymore. This is scary and sad.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Unless you can give us where this ridiculous statement is coming from I think this thread should be removed. Unsubstantiated internet political statements should not be on this forum. I don’t care what your political affiliation is. 
Dave  Sweeney 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I suggest taking a breath. Not gonna happen in our lifetimes. Just like the continual stories of “They are gonna take your guns away”.  That said, back to cars.

I guess you don't live in NY state.  They are good at knee jerk banning things like guns.   If they could figure out a way to confiscate them without getting shot in the process then they would have in NY by now. 

It's the little things that start the ball rolling that you have to stop before the ball gets too much momentum. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SC38DLS said:

Unless you can give us where this ridiculous statement is coming from I think this thread should be removed. Unsubstantiated internet political statements should not be on this forum. I don’t care what your political. 
Dave  Sweeney 

If Columbus didn't use his unsubstantiated claims to impress the Queen,  we wouldn't have been the ones to find America or even prove that if you sailed across the "flat world" you really wouldn't fall off the other end.  Remember at one time many things known to be fact were challenged by free thought and proven to be false. 

I guess that's why Stag Arms left New Britain, Conn. and moved to Cheyenne, Wy. in April.

And Mag -Pull left Longmont, Colo. and moved to Cheyenne quite a while ago.

Mike in Colorado

PS; If you leave NYC and move to Wy. please leave your old ideas behind.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I don't know about party affiliation; however, it seems that government, whether left or right,  wants to control every aspect of our lives.  I have seen over the past few years that some folks feel that old polluting vehicles should be banned from the public roadways.  This opinion seemed to gather speed with the "Cash for Clunkers" campaign of ten or twelve years ago, when thousands of old (some desirable "collectibles") cars were turned into beer cans and espresso machines. 

Back to the premise of the O.P., it seems that California is already considering the banning of internal combustion vehicles.

The link:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article234744047.html

As many have said: "so goes California, so goes the Nation".  I'm afraid that the concerns of "Brass Is Best" are valid.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 6

I take it you are referring to the green new deal.  It is part of a major party agenda or at least a splinter group of that party and yes it is scary to say the least. We have the same movement here in Canada as well. 

All party's have a few troubling issues but this one is a potential threat to our hobby without a doubt.

Greg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

I take it you are referring to the green new deal.  It is part of a major party agenda or at least a splinter group of that party and yes it is scary to say the least. We have the same movement here in Canada as well. 

All party's have a few troubling issues but this one is a potential threat to our hobby without a doubt.

Greg

They also don't want you to have a pet dog or cat...

• Haha 2

Politics that effect our hobby should stay.  No one is slamming one side or another they are pointing out possible legislation that maybe not everyone is familiar with that those with old cars need to keep an eye on and be aware about so we can prevent it from effecting our hobby. 

Nothing wrong with awareness.

Because someone doesn't agree with it,  doesn't mean it shouldn't be brought to the attention of members it effects.

There are lots of things I don't agree with in this world but I don't go around telling others they can't voice their concerns and beliefs about it.  How will we ever learn if we can't have civil discussions from both sides as to the pros and cons of such possible legislation. 

Silencing alternative views is not the way to prove an idea is good.  You need to point out why it's good, debate and prove how alternative views through proven fact from unbiased sources and people that have directly dealt with such things are incorrect or misguided.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

The Covid 19 discussion was pulled from the forum for being too decisive or something along those  lines. How has this bull lasted this long?

its political and that is not right for this forum. 

It is about people wanting to ban cars. Last time I checked we all have cars.

20 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

...its political and that is not right for this forum. 

My understanding is that political discussions,

when limited to automotive topics affecting our hobby,

are perfectly acceptable for our forum.  After all, we

have a forum category titled "Legislation."  Such topics

are also fine for AACA newsletters.

Naturally, one should respect everyone else's opinions,

be courteous and not strident, and not stray off topic.

If my understanding is wrong, the moderators can let us know.

• Like 4

Boy this is inherently a political topic and I thought politics was not allowed on these forums.

But before the thread gets locked and/or removed: I have never seen anything indicating that any political party, or significant faction within a political party, in the US has discussed banning cars.

There is a growing number of people who are worried enough about anthropomorphic climate change caused by the use of fossil fuels. And thus some political action agitating for the elimination of fossil fuels. But that is quite different than banning self-propelled vehicles.

I figure I have another couple of few decades left and I would be surprised if fossil fuels were totally eliminated in that time. And banning the use of cars would be even less likely.

On the other hand, twenty years ago I'd never have predicted that battery electric vehicles capable of 300+ mile range and highway speeds would be available by now. So I could be wrong on the fossil fuels. But I really, really doubt I'll be wrong on the part about banning cars altogether.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ply33 said:

Boy this is inherently a political topic and I thought politics was not allowed on these forums.

But before the thread gets locked and/or removed: I have never seen anything indicating that any political party, or significant faction within a political party, in the US has discussed banning cars.

There is a growing number of people who are worried enough about anthropomorphic climate change caused by the use of fossil fuels. And thus some political action agitating for the elimination of fossil fuels. But that is quite different than banning self-propelled vehicles.

I figure I have another couple of few decades left and I would be surprised if fossil fuels were totally eliminated in that time. And banning the use of cars would be even less likely.

On the other hand, twenty years ago I'd never have predicted that battery electric vehicles capable of 300+ mile range and highway speeds would be available by now. So I could be wrong on the fossil fuels. But I really, really doubt I'll be wrong on the part about banning cars altogether.

Google the subject, or go to youtube and hear it right from the horses mouth.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

Must be a D.T. tactic seeing election coming and they name the Democrats as the guilty party. I think it is just a scare tactic for Republican votes. Drive your old car and enjoy. 

Google or youtube watch the video of the other guy saying it.

• Like 1

From what I have seen don't brush anything off.  Especially after the last few months.  Remember how we paused for 2 weeks to get a handle on things 4 months ago.  Yeah that turned into 4 months and counting.  I've watched several established local businesses shutter and for sale signs go up.  Very sad to see.  Give anyone a foot hold and they will take all they can until kicked back to the curb.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Brass is Best said:

Google the subject, or go to youtube and hear it right from the horses mouth.

Okay, I just Googled "cars banned" and searched for the same on YouTube and came up empty. Some topics about some cities banning cars in limited cases (reasons include pollution and safety). Some YouTube on specific cars that weren't allowed to be imported into the US, usually for safety reasons.

Google (and YouTube) have been known to tailor their search results based on what they think you want to be told or view. And I've made it a habit to obscure my web behavior from Google for that reason. So your search results for the same terms will likely be different from mine. So give me some links.

1 hour ago, Brass is Best said:

Google it, not hard to find. Lots of sources.

When I google it, the only thing that comes up is Joe Biden gushing over his '67 Corvette -- which he does not seem to want to ban.  

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Take the news with a grain of salt.  I have a 1986 performance car (Olds 442) and often explain to folks at shows that yes, the 307 V-8 with 180 hp was the most powerful engine that Olds had that year. Many of you can remember that in that era (early to mid-1980s) automotive writers and others were predicting the end of V-8 engines in cars.  Full-size cars had 110 to 150 hp engines and couldn't get out of their own way.  At the time, what would people have thought if you had said, in 2020, we would have everyday street-legal V-8 powered cars that have 400 to 800 hp?  My point is, don't write the obituary for the internal combustion engine car just yet, to paraphrase a famous quote, "Rumors of its demise are greatly exaggerated."  We may yet be surprised in positive ways in another 30 years.

I have a 1986 performance car (Olds 442) and often explain to folks at shows that yes, the 307 V-8 with 180 hp was the most powerful engine that Olds had that year.

I had an 87 Station Wagon with the same motor and I would hardly call it a performance car. They must of made the one for the 442 different.

2 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

Google or youtube watch the video of the other guy saying it.

1 hour ago, ply33 said:

Okay, I just Googled "cars banned" and searched for the same on YouTube and came up empty?................................................... So give me some links.

I have been worried about the government/society banning our ancient, inefficient death traps from most roads most of the time for a number of reasons. "My health is failing, and I am going down slow", (St. Louis Jimmy  -  "Goin' down slow"). That being the case, I am 100% certain now that I won't see it. Although it is not my problem : Andy, I am rather challenged in my ability to do research on the computer. For example, I have never come across anybody who realizes that there was hard evidence for the existence of water on the Moon way away back in the '50s, perhaps approximately ''53 or so. I have a fairly eclectic library, and in one of my rare astronomy books a lunar occultation of a  radio source, (the Crab Nebula), gave results for which water on the Moon could be a most plausible explanation. Now, the research was EXTREMELY sound and credible, but I would like to know more. Can't find it out in the internet world !!!!  Now we finally have proved that there is indeed water cold trapped at the lunar poles in craters which have bottoms in perpetual shade.

I would love to torment myself by following a link that you can provide. By the way, with all the magnificent cars and trucks you have, and the fact that you will be around much longer than I will, I can certainly understand your concern. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Links, please.          Your forum friend,    -    Cadillac Carl, (who is said to soon stop burning gasoline)

Oh please. Spare us the sky is falling nonsense. Ignoring the logistics of making half a billion cars worthless, do you really think the oil companies, who are so good at lobbying the government that they get subsidies even tho they make $12 billion in profits a year, will let themselves be outlawed? Right.

Someone's been watching way too much conspiracy boogeyman TV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1