Why do Sellers Cover License Plates

Green37

Just now, TerryB said:

So the IRS can’t find where they are hiding the profits from the car they are selling.  

Yes, I’m sure they have a roomful of people somewhere and their job is to look at EVERY car ad, and run the license numbers! Ha!

The thumb over the plate is actually a secret code, telling you that owner will thell for thumb price, but he’s not thure how much.

• Haha 5

Seriously, people think they are protecting their privacy, and that someone will research the license plate and find out their phone number, where they live, and what year and model the car is, that kind of stuff.

But seriously, how ridiculous....that’s info one will give to a would be buyer regardless....

People trying to keep numbers from the big bad evil number stealers.

Its like people who get all huffy when you want to send them money to their bank, and don’t want to give you account number and routing number.  Of course, every check you write has this information plainly printed, so what a waste of worry....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Seriously, people think they are protecting their privacy, and that someone will research the license plate and find out their phone number, where they live, and what year and model the car is, that kind of stuff.

But seriously, how ridiculous....that’s info one will give to a would be buyer regardless....

People trying to keep numbers from the big bad evil number stealers.

Its like people who get all huffy when you want to send them money to their bank, and don’t want to give you account number and routing number.  Of course, every check you write has this information plainly printed, so what a waste of worry....

At the other end of the spectrum,....  I've gotten checks from customers that not only had hubby and wife full names, their address, and home phone number, but both their social security numbers printed on the check as well. Holy tail pipe Batman ! 😲 

Paul  

26 minutes ago, alsancle said:

People are idiots?   I wonder if the drive around town with their thumb over the plate too.

Ibet some people would if they could.

I had a friend once (we’re no longer friends because of some of the things he did), he was an assistant DA, if he saw an attractive girl he’d get license number, run it (which he could because of his office), and send her flowers....didn’t matter single or married, a lot of girls fell for it...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PFitz said:

At the other end of the spectrum,....  I've gotten checks from customers that not only had hubby and wife full names, their address, and home phone number, but both their social security numbers printed on the check as well. Holy tail pipe Batman ! 😲 

Paul  

That used to be fairly common practice....and in Virginia for a while your SSN was your driver’s license number, and a lot of places wanted that on your check...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Ibet some people would if they could.

I had a friend once (we’re no longer friends because of some of the things he did), he was an assistant DA, if he saw an attractive girl he’d get license number, run it (which he could because of his office), and send her flowers....didn’t matter single or married, a lot of girls fell for it...

I would say doing that these days would shorten his career quite a bit.

• Like 2

Just now, Lebowski said:

Unless they are only driven a quarter of a mile at a time.... :)

C696B746-2608-4154-8C45-17F22133ECD3_4_5005_c.jpeg

Completely acceptable under this condition only!

😄

4 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Back when I had my modern repair shop, we did state inspection stickers......a requirement for every car on the road, every year. There was a very attractive and wonderful young lady who wouldn’t give me her number for a dinner date. When she came in for a sticker one day, I made a duplicate door key ONLY, and then every day for three weeks dropped off flowers in her car at the parking lot where she worked. It was a huge lot, so there wasn’t any chance of getting caught, and it was before all the cameras we have today. After the few weeks, I went to the door of her apartment, with a dozen roses..........and asked her out again. Interesting experience..............she was flattered and upset at the same time. I suggested call the police.....and ask whoever the responding officer was if she should go to dinner with me. Interestingly it was the Chief of Police who responded. He recommended to her that she accept the invitation.

The result of dinner...............we lived together for seven years.............fun times from the carefree days of my youth.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 23hack said:

I want to read Eds' autobiography .  

My nickname for her...........Dagmar. Fond memories...............(I have a huge smile on my face as my lady is asking me what so funny!)

Google Dagmar Bumpers.............😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, edinmass said:

My nickname for her...........Dagmar. Fond memories...............(I have a huge smile on my face as my lady is asking me what so funny!)

what’s her nickname?

Just now, edinmass said:

George......she had a BIG pair..............I mean personality...............and I haven’t seen her in more than ten years, at the time, things seemed fine from what I could tell. Any more and  I will get a special note from the moderators..............Be sure and ask for a photo of her when I see you next time........Have one of her on my cloud.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Back when I had my modern repair shop, we did state inspection stickers......a requirement for every car on the road, every year. There was a very attractive and wonderful young lady who wouldn’t give me her number for a dinner date. When she came in for a sticker one day, I made a duplicate door key ONLY, and then every day for three weeks dropped off flowers in her car at the parking lot where she worked. It was a huge lot, so there wasn’t any chance of getting caught, and it was before all the cameras we have today. After the few weeks, I went to the door of her apartment, with a dozen roses..........and asked her out again. Interesting experience..............she was flattered and upset at the same time. I suggested call the police.....and ask whoever the responding officer was if she should go to dinner with me. Interestingly it was the Chief of Police who responded. He recommended to her that she accept the invitation.

The result of dinner...............we lived together for seven years.............fun times from the carefree days of my youth.

Dang, all I got when I did that was this stupid restraining order.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Matt Harwood said:

Dang, all I got when I did that was this stupid restraining order.

Matt..............you have to have charming good looks and a wonderful personality...................and, of course, you need to give them the “big pitch”. 

In the event you don’t know what the “big pitch” is...............well, if I told you Melanie would probably get upset.

1 minute ago, edinmass said:

Matt..............you have to have charming good looks and a wonderful personality...................and, of course, you need to give them the “big pitch”. 

In the event you don’t know what the “big pitch” is...............well, if I told you Melanie would probably get upset.

My mom always said I was the handsomest. I thought that would be enough.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I shall not argue with your mother.............👍

And, for the record the big pitch is...............”Would you like to spend the weekend in Paris?” For some reason, it works well.

When pushed on the subject, I took them to see the car collection in Paris Maine. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Green37 said:

Why do Sellers Blur or Otherwise Cover Up License Plates of their Cars For Sale?

It's the same reason that many on this forum don't list their location, be it state or region or even country.  "They" are out there and "They" are watching.

Livin' large (well, sorta) in Paisley, Florida.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I suspect people cover over license plates out of fear that someone could go to the DMV and get someone's personal info -- like their name and address, telephone #, SSN#, and picture -- from their license plate number.  If you're going to make a picture public, the thinking ran, you were telling the world that you had this nice car that they could find at your home. But if this was ever a real concern, it's long outdated:  In 1994,  Congress enacted the Drivers Privacy Protection Act, which blocks DMVs from giving out any personal information without the person's consent. 

I see it all the time. And, I wonder. Do these people not realize that their car's license number can be seen everywhere they drive it? I mean, I am as paranoid as the next crazy psycho. But frankly, that horse got out of the barn a long time ago. For all the fear mongering trying to sell "identity protection", almost all that personal information has been on the internet since I helped build the foundations upon which it stands! (That is right, blame me!) No, I didn't put your information there. But it is there none the less. I actually pride myself in not liking what the internet has become. My skills at searching for things I want to find out are terrible (google does that on purpose!). I do NOT want to play their games. But I have googled myself, and several members of my family (Boy THAT was scary!). It is all there. Addresses, SSNs, unpaid bills. I better not tell of a few other "family" things (I have often said I have a really screwed up family!).

As for banking information? Every place you send a check has all of that. And they are not the only ones. And yes, my checking account numbers were stolen from one of two legitimate businesses we sent checks to and used for illicit purchases (that account got closed years ago!). I don't want to descend into a political black hole, but ever since the Fed approved electronic check processing about twenty years ago, any sort of checking account has become dangerous to have. The good news is that if your account information is stolen, the Fed will cover the loss. The bad news is that you, I and every other tax payer pays for that! 

Frankly, hiding the license plate on a "car-for-sale internet ad"  may be a bit wise, to a very limited extent. However it is practically pointless.

I think I would rather read about Cadillac bumpers.

• Like 1

I think if people realize how often they are on camera today, they would be shocked. In every day routine of shopping, restaurants, traffic, and home security systems, being on fifty to seventy five cameras a day would not be unusual. I work in a building with 12 cameras, some people find it unnerving, I rather enjoy knowing that they are there for my protection and safety. I know a few people who have just about a zero footprint on the web, and they don’t seem any happier or safer than those who are all over it. If it wasn’t for the car hobby, I wouldn’t be on any of the social media platforms. I certainly don’t post photos of my house or garage, but today if someone wants to find you they will easily. Spend a few grand, and they will know you better than you know yourself.

The Brass Buick forum, separate and apart from this forum, requires any post to have your (real) name and the city/state you live in.  It’s called the Harold Sharon rule, well known guy in HCCA who, I guess, wouldn’t respond to any question unless he knew who he was talking to?

At least Ed spent some money on his stalking, and had some semi-honorable intentions.  Better than hanging out in the freezer section at the grocery store, I guess...

Speaking of ladies, went to my 50th high school reunion, and all these women would come up to me, hug me, and say stuff like “oh, David, I had such a crush on you in high school” and I’m thinking, crap, why didn’t you tell me THEN?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Interesting. Have always used my real name and hometown but prefer a certain amount of privacy and know what it takes to achieve that.

Leaned a long time ago that on the Internet you can't hide, all you can do is swamp the system with dissimilar information. Just Googled my name and got 2,700,000 hits.

19 hours ago, Grimy said:

All these years later, I'll bet the Cadillac's Dagmars defy gravity better than the lady's....

Virginia Egnor ( Dagmar) died in Ceredo, WV in 2001. 1955 Buicks also sport a "Dagmar" front bumper. In 1999 as I was restoring my Buick I wrote a fan mail type letter to her in Ceredo asking for an autographed photo. The letter was not returned as undeliverable but I never received a reply either.

Rest in peace, Virginia.

Your fame lives on, sculpted in chromium...................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, edinmass said:

And, for the record the big pitch is...............”Would you like to spend the weekend in Paris?” F

My first wife and I went to Hawaii several times which I hated.  A couple of years into my second marriage my wife started hinting she would like to go to Hawaii also.  During one of these discussions I made a proposal to her.  If I never have to return to Hawaii I will take you to Paris once a year until I die.  She accepted and we went every year until 9/11.  Frequently we just spent a week end and then expanded to other  European destinations.  Best deal I ever made especially with our interest in French Art Glass.  After the upheaval of the past few years we have no desire to go back.  Like NYC or San Francisco it will never be the same from the tourist standpoint.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Have you ever heard the phrase “A face only a mother could love”?  

That was too easy. 
Sorry

davs s 

• Haha 4