Hershey 2020 cancelled

Hans1

Disappointing news just received the email.

with 56 continuous years of attending, I believe I will go any way, take a selfie and have 57 years in a row at HERSHEY during Hershey week.

Neve give up !!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Makes it a lot easier.  I kept trying to imagine how to practice social distancing at a swap meet with friends.  Back in March I commented that I couldn't imagine the Hershey Corp being comfortable with the liability.  We are all going to save a ton of money!  I suggest we donate some to the library fund.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Makes it a lot easier.  I kept trying to imagine how to practice social distancing at a swap meet with friends.  Back in March I commented that I couldn't imagine the Hershey Corp being comfortable with the liability.  We are all going to save a ton of money!  I suggest we donate some to the library fund.

I finally paid up to become a life member today. I figured it was less money than the week off work that I won’t be taking and the AACA could likely use my small bit of cash this year more than most. 

• Like 6

It was inevitable. I heard they will give you a choice of your money back or put it in a 6 month CD for you. CDs are paying maybe 1% so my $240 (for 3 spaces) would earn me $1.20 at maturity. WHOOPEE. Better than a dollar pile. Seriously, let's just hope it comes back to anything near normalcy in 2021

Better yet, Let Us hope there is Good and Plenty in 2020.....

Hershey's Chocolate World takes in about a BILLION dollars that week....

I know I buy $ 60 of chocolate on Friday night after a $ 30 dinner and dessert.....  And I am NOT the only one.....

Do they have a say ????? And isn't there a contract that says "The show MUST go on " ???????

Let Us pray........

12 hours ago, Studemax said:

This is scheduled for months from now! Buncha chickens.

True. But the planning for the next year's swap meet starts in earnest just two weeks after the event, with nearly 2,000 volunteers ultimately involved in putting it on. To have canceled it a couple of months before it happened would have been a hardship on a lot of people. And expensive. IMO.

I know the people who made this decsion agonized over it.

• Like 1

Sad news, but how about doing a virtual Hershey this year, by posting some pictures of the stuff you were taking to Hershey to sell. Some of us cannot afford to travel to Hershey more than a couple of times in our lifetime, but you may have the parts we are looking to buy. Just a thought??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PLEASE read my post in the meets and tours section. It explains things in a bit more detail. This was a gut-wrenching situation that affects all of us but think about the region members who have worked ALL YEAR long to have this event yet to have had to make this decision! 

Sorry, but very few of you have any remote idea of the challenges during this pandemic presented to the region! They simply became insurmountable.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Very Sad news indeed. I have signed up for the Hershey Hangover tour so as long as that continues I will be in Hershey. I plan on bringing my 1912 McLaughlin Buick that I saw as a 14 year old and took a picture of at the Hershey Show in 1972 and purchased in 2003. Someone else took a picture of it that day in 1972 and it is in the 70 years of Buick book.  It has always been my goal to bring it back to Hershey. As long as the Hangover Tour continues, I plan to bring the McLaughlin to to show area Saturday even if it does not happen and get some pictures there and by the Stadium where the show was in 1972 and my Flea Market spot has been for years. Looking forward to driving around Hershey for first time. While I have been going since 1970, we always just went to the swap meet spot in a Motorhome, set up and never left till Saturday. We never ventured far from the area other than the Museum and the Parkside Hotel, a Dive bar that used to sell cool T-Shirts. In fact a good friend made up some new ones last year with the Parkside logo and Rocket Car his son built to give to us for our Friday night stop. The Hangover tour plans a stop back in Hershey Monday at the Museum. 

Tom Muth

Cincinnati Ohio

Edited by tomcarnut (see edit history)

If you care about the volunteers, attendees and vendors this was a smart considerate thing to do in today’s environment. It had to be a very difficult decision for a number of historical, financial and just plain having fun reasons. I applaud the decision makers for taking the health of all of us as being more important. I am sure volunteers and vendors appreciate the advance notice so they do not have the expense, time and last minute disappointment of a later decision. 
Thank you. 
Dave S 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ok. So arrange an event of this size when you can’t talk to your vendors, order your supplies, deal with your printers, co- ordinate your volunteers. Us car enthusiasts just walk onto the field expecting everything to be as usual, the committee is  grateful the meet is running smoothly. Things don’t just happen

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

Also be careful who you vote for or we may never get to go back to Hershey again.

I can't remember the last time I voted for someone. Usually against the other pick.

The first round of the virus took out the most susceptible. Second round gets the "smarter" ones.

• Like 1

The region is not in a vacuum folks, they have to play the cards that have been dealt.  On to 2021.  In terms of politics, virus is just like an internet wrestling match over politics. Percentage of people's core political beliefs changed from virus or knee deep political posts about pretty much anything hovers around zero.  Am I dissapointed, yep we all are. But time to move on to 21 plans !!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Studemax said:

The lockdown is over, people. The old crisis was dead as a doornail, so now they've ginned up another one.

Tell that to the over 100,000 victims. What part of this is over when better than half the states have cases on the rise and the daily death rate going up?  We are in for a rough ride and the powers to be of this event are looking out for our well being. I for one greatly appreciate their concern and the fact they will sacrifice their economic benefits for our safety. Thanks to all involved in this difficult decision. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 6

As I have stated elsewhere, if you want to know the over riding reason why the event had to be canceled just look at the rules our Governor has placed on us once the state fully re-opens.  Ask yourself would you invest all of your money and time personally in an event that your state says you cannot have?  Nor will they tell you if there is any chance they will change the rules this year at all?  It is all on the net folks, the Governor's exact words...no groups of over 250.  Too big a gamble, already it is costing the region and club a lot of money.  Money needed to continue the event in years to come.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Right - the longer they would have waited to make the decision the more it would have cost - for everyone.  I've just reset my clock and started counting the days until next year. 

Terry

• Like 4

I'm disappointed because it would have been my first one, but there's no way I would have gone anyway with my health problems. Hoping for next year but as a history nut I know it may not be possible until 2023. Pandemics tend to last three years. Even if it's held next year I may not go depending on the situation. Not good for me but that is the situation I've been forced to deal with. I've been "social distancing" since the 1990s, I can handle this.

Steve, I understand completely. I try to get there every year, sometimes it just doesnt work out though. I did make it last year so I can figure this is one of the years I miss. I live very close to Hershey, within about a 50 min. drive. I am very much in tune with PA being so close to the line and spending a fair amount of time in your state. Lancaster Co has been hit especially hard so yea, I can understand the decision.

When I was a intern at the University of Chicago the Chief of Surgery had a saying for situations like this.  "SH-T HAPPENS"  I think anyone who expected Hershey to not be cancelled was exercising wishful thinking.  I suspect over 75% of Hershey goers are in the High Risk Category. My wife thanks the Hershey region for removing the temptation..

• Thanks 1