classifieds pet peeve

Buick35

On 5/25/2020 at 9:27 PM, Billy Kingsley said:

Don't forget the "shinny" paint! 

I read a lot of things and wonder how people manage to make it though life. You can tell when someone hits the wrong letter as opposed to not understanding the basic workings of the English language. 

I wish this Forum had Spill Check for spilling errors.

• Haha 1

Use of the word VERY in every advertisement many many times . Very nice Very clean Very original etc.  But the worst of all is the constant use of VERY RARE

If someone who wants to buy a particular car doesn't know what is or isn't uncommon ( aka  vary rare) on a car then they should do their homework and research.

Does it really matter or make the car more valuable to justify the price if you let the person reading the ad know how Very Rare the original muffler clamps, radiator hoses and

fuel filter are? I personally find the use of the word Rare and Very in a description totally annoying. Or should I state that Very annoying?!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mark graber said:

I cringe every time I see modifiers to "unique",  as in  "the car is very unique".   Either an object is one of a kind or it isn't.

One of my pet peeves as well.  There are no degrees of uniqueness. Either it is or it isn't.

Here’s another classic I found on EBay today. 

Selling my 1932 Ford Project, the story I was told is that this was an original MN car, this is a real 1932 ford with a steel brookfield body and rootlieb hood and many original henry ford parts. 

IT’S NOT A FORD!!!!  It’s a kit car...man it just drives me crazy...

• 2 years later...

When I was in school I was always poor in english, I thought it didn't matter.

I flunked once, and was only allowed to graduate by the grace of the english teacher, who was also my rowing coach.

As I had to write a lot in my job, I became aware that my grammar and spelling may have given a poor impression on my other skills of repairing cars.

Spell check became most important to me. I use it all the time, google is my next best friend. ❤️

( I hate to admit how many times I had to use it writing this!) 

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, it "dose." 😉

I was an English/Journalism major in college, so spelling, grammar and punctuation mistakes always make me cringe, but I try to overlook them, because some people are just not great with those things. It doesn't mean they're ignorant or stupid. They're just more talented in areas that could be foreign to me. I just happen to be a decent speller/writer with a degree. That, and $2 will get me a cup of coffee. Maybe it's almost $3 now. 

What bothers me about car ads is scanty information. Being a novice, I want as much information as possible; what's been done, what needs to be done, what issues exist. It's a 70 year old car, so something or other needs to be replaced. I think many ads I have seen simply lack details, and when you call the seller, they sometimes seem evasive, as if they're hiding something. If I get that response from someone, I say thanks, I'll get back to you, and hang up. 

I'm looking at a car in upstate NY, and the ad says, "It's somewhere between fair and excellent." That's a pretty wide range. 

Edited by DrumBob (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ok I’ve always wanted to call this common and irritating mistake out, and this thread seems to be where I can call it out.

Some very rare antique cars have “outrigger seats” like my Kissel pictured below. Kissel speedsters 1919-1923, Paige Speedsters 1922-ish, Pilot roadsters 1920-ish. There may be one or two other production models I’m not familiar with.

At car shows, nearly everyone calls my side seats either “mother in law” seats or “suicide seats”. Those terms are wrong both from a functional standpoint and historical standpoint. Those side seats were correctly called “ OUTRIGGER SEATS “ by Kissel. And nobody is known to have died in them. And a mother in law seat is a small seat behind the driver, not aside. People, please use proper terms. !!!

And while I’m here, again at every car show, people inevitably ask me “what are those side seats for ?”
      I commonly answer “ those seats are for sitting on”. Then I tell them that those model Kissels are just four-passenger cars. People, seats are on cars for sitting.

Enjoy. Ron Hausmann P.E.

4087E436-CEF1-4BB9-B0A5-B0163E95CC0D.jpeg

AB2F95BB-9691-469C-A98E-AAD899B9E0A8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2022 at 8:42 AM, ron hausmann said:

And a mother in law seat is a small seat behind the driver...   

Interestingly, such a small seat behind the driver

was also known as a rumble seat.  Today, people think

of rumble seats only as foldable seats. 

An article I have from 1909 refers to the small fixed

back seat as a rumble seat, and here's a picture from

that article, showing the car.  Thank goodness for

old magazines preserved, or such history may be lost!Lady of the Car 1 edited.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I, too, graduated (with Honors 😇) with a Communications/Journalism degree. Reading anything with language errors (spelling, grammar, syntax, et cetera) hits me like a slap in the face - with a shovel! But let’s be honest, as annoying as these errors can be, this is a site about “vintage” cars. We are not “Grammar Nazis.” When I was in high school, the “dumb” guys took Auto Shop class. They mostly couldn’t write or speak a correct paragraph.  So what? They were wizzes at anything automotive. They found it amazing most “normal” people didn’t know how to clean battery cables/terminals. So what? 

As for this site, errors could be from any number of reasons: AUTOCORRECT, posting after a long day, wanting to get in the last, quick post before dinner or bed, or simply not knowing any better. So what? There is a post with the same topic in the “Forum Questions and Answers” section. Ronnie had a very good response (italics are mine to denote his words):

Most people on forums aren't too concerned about spelling and grammar as long as the posts aren't too difficult to read. If it gets so bad you can't understand what is being said just politely ask for a clarification.

Lastly, as for using the wrong term for a part, some names are obscure unless you work with it and or have first-hand knowledge. Example: When I was in the Marines, I was in the  Education and Training office. One day the supply sergeant came in with the supply manual. He was trying to find “zipper” to order some.  No one in his office could find them. For several days and many hours of pouring over a New-York-phone-book-sized manual, we found it. The Marine Corps name for a zipper? Interlocking slide fastener  So, when you pull up your pants do you zip up your zipper, or secure your interlocking slide fastener? Who cares as long as you do it.  

• Like 6

And GMs "Chromed Styling Panel".

As to the adverts, one I saw today was hilarious: "Car is in great condition, just needs AC".

Also advts with many pictures but none of the chassis.

My problem is that I have to look at the keyboard (large font, illuminated) to type but sometimes the keystroke does not register. Then the underline is handy.

1 hour ago, Jim Skelly said:

poring ... 😀

Jim,

Thank you for correcting me (seriously, and that shovel hurt😵💫), but also for proving Ronnie’s and my point. Though the misused word makes for a funny image, and technically it would change the meaning of the sentence, but realistically did it? Oh, and spell check did not and would not catch this type of error. Now that I’ve proofread this post a number of times, I’ll hit the submit button!😉

Edited by Max4Me (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I took a year of auto shop in high school and also went to college🤣.  But seriously, we all make mistakes when trying to get our point across and not forget some detail.  Sometimes I read what I am ready to post and realize I left a word out, repeated a word, or made a typo.  Even after posting, I've found that I have screwed up!  As long as people can convey their thoughts, that's what counts. 

I collect model cars and favor a particular website.  There are people on the forum that never make sense and others with a peculiar writing style.  Difficult as it is to believe, I am able to identify some of these individuals without even looking at their name!

Forums - Model Cars Magazine Forum

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I once read and to paraphrase 'knowing proper grammar is knowing when to NOT point out that others are using it improperly'.

For the record, I do not know proper grammar from the man on the moon!

Well said Kerry. I only correct my children. And my wife corrects me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 9/3/2022 at 12:08 PM, Max4Me said:

Jim,

Thank you for correcting me (seriously, and that shovel hurt😵💫), but also for proving Ronnie’s and my point. Though the misused word makes for a funny image, and technically it would change the meaning of the sentence, but realistically did it? Oh, and spell check did not and would not catch this type of error. Now that I’ve proofread this post a number of times, I’ll hit the submit button!😉

I have no room to partake in this discussion, I just find it funny to see that you've edited your post. :)  

Sorry, that's just my way of making light of the subject, hope you're not offended by it ;) 

My pet peeve is no price or phone number. And if the two of them are missing from the same ad? Well then.... you can guess.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I see that most of the pet peeves are about poor grammar or poorly written content. I agree, but my pet peeve is different. Not so much here on the AACA, but other forums have it in spades... I place a for sale ad maybe once a month, if that and by the time I go back to review the ad, a professional seller has placed a dozen or so ads on top of mine, sometimes causing my ad to drop to the next page down. It is forever buried under a mountain of ads that may only say 'btt' or 'repost' or something to that affect. Sometimes I could just scream...

Frank

Who cares about grammar, you just need to understand the info the person is trying to get across.  In college my english teacher used to point out my bad grammar to the class. Of course I did not care. One time she asked me what did I have to say for myself. I responded--- that is what they have secretaries for. She was pissed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, padgett said:

Frank, you need to learn the art of the "bump".

Padgett (P.E.retired.)

It's not 'the art of the bump', What bugs me is that if one is a member of a forum, the ads are usually free. Professional sellers then flood the forum with free ads, burying the seller with one or two ads per month. Perhaps there should be a separate forum for those who place more than 'some number' of ads per month or week. Even better, place a limit on the number of ads any one member can place in a week. In this age of electronics, computers can keep track of such things quite easily.

Frank

Edited by oldford (see edit history)

On 6/5/2020 at 11:05 AM, JD in CA said:

Found this one today, talk about ridiculous...

Vehicle Description

Gateway Classic Cars of Orlando is proud to offer this stunning 1930 Ford Model A 82B Pickup. As you stare at the chrome from front to back your eyes will be glazed over like you just started at the sun. With a glistening two-tone paint job stacking Hunter Green over a black base you will have people snapping their necks to get a peek at what is cruising by. Powering this 1930 Ford Model A pickup for sale is a stout and mighty Flathead 4-cylinder powerhouse! Backing the 4-cylinders is a manual 3-speed transmission. As you crawl into the cabin of your new Truck you can rest on a plush vinyl bench seat. Taking this gem to the local car shows will be a joy, everyone will want to stop and see this classic truck, be prepared for spectators to want a picture with your new truck! 

Glazed eyes, crawling, snapping of necks... sounds like a long distance marathon for the over imbibed... 

I have mostly been avoiding this thread. But sometimes it is like a train wreck? You just GOTTA look!

I try to use something close to proper grammar, and spelling. But sometimes I like to use offsides. I is as I speaks!

In school, I was always a couple years ahead of my class in most subjects, especially English and writing. However, my spelling, although ahead of my class, was not as good as I wanted it to be.

For that reason, I do rely on spellcheck, and Webster, even google, to make sure of some of my word usage and spelling. I also proofread most things a couple times at least!

The funny thing, however, is much of my need to proofread is due to the fact that someone (not me!) spilled hot chocolate on my keyboard a few years ago! My quick action saved the computer from total loss, but to this day still, several keys do not work like they are supposed to! It becomes quite annoying to go back and put in all the letters and numbers that are missing. Do you have ANY idea how many times I have nearly posted "bra" or "bras" instead of "brass" because the "s" doesn't work reliably? And spellcheck doesn't catch those ones!

Wrong word usage does bother me, maybe more than it should?

But if your brakes take a break, will your car be broken?

Vary rare sounds right. Maybe it is rare? Maybe it is not rare? It varies.

Does a dose of does doesn't?

Two too to fore for four they're their there, actually can make sense? (Can you figure it out?)

• Haha 1