What is the story behind your “handle”?

The Buick Dealership in Hutchinson, Kansas dates back to 1907.  It was Reno Buick Company for many, many years.  The county seat for Hutchinson is named Reno after an officer who was in the Civil War.  The 1916 Buick that was passed to me by my Dad has been in my family for over 60 years.  When I got online it made a lot of sense to me to tie an email address into something that was Buick related.  So, there you have the story behind my email address.  Ties in very nicely with all things Buick

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

Wellll, the "Grim" part is the first four letters of my middle name which is actually a British surname, and that middle name has been bestowed on the eldest son on my British father's side for multiple generations--but that ends with me as I am childless, not by choice but by circumstance.  When known to others, that middle name is often the target of levity....  but it was the surname of two brothers targeted (one brother was hanged, drawn and quartered--a particularly ugly way to go) for harboring priests during the Elizabethan persecutions of Catholics (Liz the First of course).  And even further back, Sylvester DeGrym..... was the standard bearer for William the Conqueror at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 when the Normans kicked the Celts' behinds and took over Old Blighty.

More than 50 years ago while I was stationed at the long gone Fort Holabird in Baltimore (Holabird was strategically located between the malodorous Fleischmann's Yeast plant and the American Standard toilet factory), we had organizational pewter beer mugs which needed to be engraved with a nickname selected by one's peers, not by oneself.  And because I spent many if not most evenings at the auto craft shop, my colleagues came up with the name "Grimy" as appropriate to both my distinctive middle name and to my avocation.  The mug is in a display case these days. 

So here we are....  Cue Tevye singing "T-r-a-d-i-t-i-o-n"

Edited by Grimy
added 2 descriptors (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 5

My profession as a police officer plus my sense of humor led a couple of friends from other forums to refer to me as Roscoe many years ago, taken directly from the bumbling nutcase played by James Best on Dukes of Hazzard.  Coulda been worse- they could have looked at my overall shape and physique and called me Boss Hogg. 🤣

• Haha 15

In 2006 I started collecting

vintage travel trailers.

I favored “ one offs “ and

“ prototypes “.

As the collection grew I

designed a 40 foot open trailer 

to transport them - that grew

into vintage trailer transport

for other folks - that grew into

vehicle and tractor/implement

transport - that grew into 

enclosed vehicle transport.

” Trulyvintage “ means as

it rolled off the line or as 

it was built.

Jim

IMG_9822.jpeg.2f2d81dbc68a933728f8defbb690f3ca.jpeg

IMG_9821.jpeg.8001cc74233e44455b344504133e3216.jpeg

IMG_9820.jpeg.24e213bdc52209abc736a22178a761f5.jpeg

IMG_9818.jpeg

• Like 15

Well everyone thinks they know what RamAir stands for and why I chose it and you would be wrong. I was always into old cars even when I was eight I got my first truck, it was my grandfather 1932 International, I accumulated a few others along the way including antique tractors. Fast forward a few decades, most of what I had I could not drive anywhere and my real love of classic prewar was out of my price range with 4 kids. About 15 years ago I decided to look for a 1968 Oldsmobile Toronado as I had owned a couple of them in my high school days. One of the cars that I owned in the seventies had the rare W-34 high output option, which they only built 111 of them.  My new Toronado is also a W-34 so what are the odds of that, the issue is Oldsmobile called it, “Force Air Induction” and when I would tell people that they would say oh you mean RamAir

CA0C33AD-AB33-4B0A-9948-2CA663E64631.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Wayne didn’t mention the machine had burned…….severely……thus Yachtflame! Don’t let him pull your leg, Barbara did most of the work!

I was very fortunate to have been a guest on that yacht, it was a wonderful experience.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The "hammer" part is my last name. PK came from the fact my Dad was a Brethren Minister, so growing up I was known as the "Preacher's Kid". I almost went with "Hammerhead" since that was one of my many nicknames growing up. Actually, I still get called that quite often by my coworkers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

When I was a wee kid, about 3 or 4 years old, an older couple at our church in Modesto, California, name Harold and Alice Coverley would kiddingly call me Truk (my name spelled backwards). Fast forward 15 years.  Bought my first (project) vehicle, a 1955 Dodge pickup, model C3-B8-108.  California had personalized license plates available for an annual fee.  I think my last name was already taken, so I had to come up with something else.  Harkening back to childhood, I remembered the Coverleys calling me Truk.  Perfect. Kurtruk is a Palindrome.  It is a word that reads the same forwards and backwards.  This plate was available.  So I have an original Yellow on Blue California license plate with that on it.  Had it on my Dodge truck for the short time it was driveable.  The bad news is, if you don't renew it every year, when you do want to make it current again, all the back fees are due!  That's 40 years. SO I'd like to put it on my 1955 Studebaker E12 pickup I own now but the fees would cost more than the truck is worth, probably. Thanks California.  So it hangs on the back of a door somewhere, not exactly sure where right now.  In the 1980s when I had my Dodge, one popular thing to do was have a smooth tailgate and put a mural or the name of your vehicle on it.  Always wanted to come up with a stylized logo with KURTRUK on it, with the first KUR reversed, so it was still readable, but a mirror image of the last part of the name.

Side Note: The Coverleys owned Burges Drive-In in Modesto when one George Lucas was cruisin' around in his formative years.  Mel's Drive-in in American Graffiti substituted for Burges since Burges no longer existed when filming the movie.  Mel's scenes were shot in San Francisco, I believe.

• Like 9

17 hours ago, edinmass said:

Wayne didn’t mention the machine had burned…….severely……thus Yachtflame! Don’t let him pull your leg, Barbara did most of the work!

I was very fortunate to have been a guest on that yacht, it was a wonderful experience.

There’s actually more to that story. I’d been running yachts for 23 years and kept getting Ass****s for owners. I figured I was a good enough of one of those so decided to buy my own yacht. We found this old Feadship in Tampa which the interior caught fire while the owner was welding on a new bottom. We were basically buying a “Hull & Machinery as it was completely gutted by the fire. It’s about what we could afford so we made an offer that was refused. I sweetened the deal by tossing in a 1937 Chris Craft 17’ runabout that I’d just restored. Its original name was Flame, so it all came together nicely.
 The seller got insulted cuz he thought we were making fun of him burning the boat!

IMG_3728.png

Edited by yachtflame (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Whether it is no more than wistful thinking on my behalf, or AACA managers  actually realize that the transition period from a military uniform to civilian garb is often traumatic, and can be mentally, physically, financially and socially devastating, really doesn’t matter.

The fact is that AACA is the only forum, of this sort, which offers a dues free membership for veterans. 
This is compared to the thousands of other similar appearing sites, which primarily exist for the purpose of offering a place to sell a part, or a car, and have little regard for the social aspect of the hobby.

Being a veteran, and having served in uniform behind the barbed wire perimeter of a US based military installation, or socially hobbled by the restrictions imposed by international agreements and language barriers which made social intercourse with the host foreign National impossible, I am able to appreciate this opportunity to (even virtually) communicate in ways that cannot possibly be appreciated by a person who was home grown.

That said, and to return to the topic……I recently discovered that this forum also has “members only” privileges, including assigned member numbers, and it appears that the veterans membership is not included in these considerations.

So, it is without animosity, and no degradation of appreciation of the AACA managers, I was never given the option of selecting a screen name.

So, if you check my profile it openly announces my real name, my real birth date and my real location.

And, being a real veteran, that doesn’t bother me a single bit because I have served with brothers and sisters who have shed their life’s blood that I may do that without fear of prosecution or punishment.

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Jack Bennett said:

Whether it is no more than wistful thinking on my behalf, or AACA managers  actually realize that the transition period from a military uniform to civilian garb is often traumatic, and can be mentally, physically, financially and socially devastating, really doesn’t matter.

The fact is that AACA is the only forum, of this sort, which offers a dues free membership for veterans. 
This is compared to the thousands of other similar appearing sites, which primarily exist for the purpose of offering a place to sell a part, or a car, and have little regard for the social aspect of the hobby.

Being a veteran, and having served in uniform behind the barbed wire perimeter of a US based military installation, or socially hobbled by the restrictions imposed by international agreements and language barriers which made social intercourse with the host foreign National impossible, I am able to appreciate this opportunity to (even virtually) communicate in ways that cannot possibly be appreciated by a person who was home grown.

That said, and to return to the topic……I recently discovered that this forum also has “members only” privileges, including assigned member numbers, and it appears that the veterans membership is not included in these considerations.

So, it is without animosity, and no degradation of appreciation of the AACA managers, I was never given the option of selecting a screen name.

So, if you check my profile it openly announces my real name, my real birth date and my real location.

And, being a real veteran, that doesn’t bother me a single bit because I have served with brothers and sisters who have shed their life’s blood that I may do that without fear of prosecution or punishment.

Jack

Jack,  You preceded me by several years in serving our country. Thanks for having served during a very difficult period in our history which set the foundation for the success my generation enjoyed. I was able to utilize the AACA veterans benefit during my 1st year of membership in 2021 which waived the initial membership fees. Thanks AACA!  Other than that, I was a full AACA member from day one with full access to all that AACA has to offer its members to include a unique member number for me and my spouse, subscription to Antique Automobile, ability to show my car at AACA meets, attend Hershey, tours, etc and use the forum. I could also have a unique forum handle like others here, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, I have no imagination. I’m sorry to hear that your AACA experience as a veteran is different than mine. I think it is a great program and I have encouraged other veteran friends and colleagues to join AACA via the program 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CChinn said:

Jack,  You preceded me by several years in serving our country. Thanks for having served during a very difficult period in our history which set the foundation for the success my generation enjoyed. I was able to utilize the AACA veterans benefit during my 1st year of membership in 2021 which waived the initial membership fees. Thanks AACA!  Other than that, I was a full AACA member from day one with full access to all that AACA has to offer its members to include a unique member number for me and my spouse, subscription to Antique Automobile, ability to show my car at AACA meets, attend Hershey, tours, etc and use the forum. I could also have a unique forum handle like others here, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, I have no imagination. I’m sorry to hear that your AACA experience as a veteran is different than mine. I think it is a great program and I have encouraged other veteran friends and colleagues to join AACA via the program 

Hi CChinn…… I have absolutely nothing but praise for AACA and their recognition of the time their veteran members served in the military.

I have never really investigated, nor queried a moderator regarding any membership benefits they afford me beyond being able to participate in the forum discussions.

I am the sort of guy that tried to send my COVID stimulus check back to the government, and was told there was no provisions, or even an instance to follow of anyone trying to do this. So, I signed the check over to the church youth program, and let them deal with giving credit for the donation.

I do participate in several other forums, which I choose not to name here, and they leave no doubt that failure to pay dues, regardless of circumstances, will result in termination and immediate exclusion of access to their discussion forum.

And, that is OK too since they send me a annual bill and leave no doubt that failure to pay the amount billed will result in termination, regardless of my professing that my real initials are JC, and I work part time as a shepherd.

Jack

Edited by Jack Bennett (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well, my full name is Don Sutherland, I am one of four in my family and not one of us is THAT Don Sutherland.

-I have met two others and they aren't that guy either!

My father was first generation American, of Scot descent, and when he was growing up, his folks called him "wee-Donald", my father took great pleasure at the telling of this story to my friends, as that meant that I should properly be addressed as "wee-wee-Donald"!!!

The "Mr." part has always shown up eventually, at every place I've ever worked at. Don't know why.

The picture is me. The last time I was cute! -that young fella never thought he'd be called Mister!  .  .  .  (I was cute)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Mr. Don said:

Well, my full name is Don Sutherland, I am one of four in my family and not one of us is THAT Don Sutherland.

-I have met two others and they aren't that guy either!

My father was first generation American, of Scot descent, and when he was growing up, his folks called him "wee-Donald", my father took great pleasure at the telling of this story to my friends, as that meant that I should properly be addressed as "wee-wee-Donald"!!!

The "Mr." part has always shown up eventually, at every place I've ever worked at. Don't know why.

The picture is me. The last time I was cute! -that young fella never thought he'd be called Mister!  .  .  .  (I was cute)

Do you own a jeep like the ones they used in the TV show MASH?

• Haha 2

I like Cadillacs and I joined the AACA right after I had just bought my 2nd 1976 Cadillac, the Seville, so 76 Caddy seemed appropriate (it also happens to be my handle on the CLC).

Tim

Edited by 76 Caddy (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 9F94M567042 said:

You are correct. Also has PS/PB/PW/AC/Tilt Swing away steering wheel and Cruise control +Leather interior. 

If I remember correctly I had an "R" where your "M" is.   Great car with paperwork that was too much work for me.

CJCougarLeftFrontLarge.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I should add where the story of my nickname El Camino Billy came from. 

I have been fascinated with them since sometime in the 1990s when I became aware of them. I had surely seen them before but for some reason something just "clicked" and they became my favorite vehicles in 1998. 

Fast forward to the year 2000 or early 2001. I had joined a model car forum that still exists but I can't get to work on my phone so I no longer am a regular member. A topic came up about El Caminos and they were repeatedly referred to as an abbreviation that drove me up a wall. I will not say it because I have vowed to never type that word. (yes, I am obsessive and a little bit strange). Anyway, I got into a bit of an argument imploring people to use the proper name. One of the forum regulars began calling me El Camino Billy and it stuck. More people at the model shows refer to me by that than my full name. 

I was a lot more argumentative back then. Comes with being a teenager I guess...I was 15 or 16 years old when I got the nickname. I don't know when it happened exactly. 

It's the name of my website, my email, pretty much everything where I don't use my full name...except eBay where somebody else took it. There I am "therealelcaminobilly". 

I didn't actually get a chance to sit in an El Camino until 2019, go figure. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

My handle, "Lump," comes from a history of both lightheartedness and deep sadness; with memories both wonderful and horrible...and a sense of both personal inadequacy and personal pride. 

My dad was a tall, very strong hardworking man. Widely respected by the sheet metal brothers he worked with as a skilled man who could be counted on every day, every time. He was strong as an ox; quiet, solid, and firm in his convictions. He had grown up with parents who both worked, including a father who was a very good industrial electrician....but also a physically abusive alcoholic. As a result Dad drank VERY little in his lifetime.

The tough hard men Dad worked with liked him, and urged him every day to join at the bar after work, for "just one." He always agreed, to keep the peace, but NEVER showed up there. His first name was "Bill," and since he wouldn't drink with them, they gave him a good-natured nickname after a Red Skelton drunk character, "Willy Lump-Lump." The nickname stuck, but eventually was shortened to just "Lump." 

I eventually earned an apprenticeship in the same union, and men who had worked with my dad instantly began calling me "Little Lump," or "Mini Lump." I didn't mind. He was a damn good man, and well-respected. I was actually proud of the handle. Then on October the 23rd, 1978 a truck driver crossed the center line and wiped out my entire family. It's a long, complicated story, which I'll leave alone for now. But before too long, I began to notice that all the guys I worked with were now simply calling me, "Lump." Slowly I began to feel a growing sense of pride, although I knew I could never measure up.

Eventually, I got out of the trades, and launched a business in an entirely different field, which I knew nothing about. That was over 40 years ago. Hardly anyone knows me by "Lump" now. So I'm grateful to be able to use that handle here, among friends. 

Thank you all, for that. 

BillWirth_1969.jpg

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 8

As much as it sounds like I need a treatment center, my handle goes back to when I started restoring jukeboxes in the 1970s. By the time email became a thing it was natural to use the moniker given to me by others as an address. By then I had 25 fully restored machines from the 30s to the first stereo ones in 1959.

I am down to 5 jukeboxes now but slipped back further in time and have nickelodeons, reproducing piano, and early radio/phonograph players

It wasn't worth changing my first handle.

IMG_1399.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2024 at 4:22 PM, lump said:

they gave him a good-natured nickname after a Red Skelton drunk character, "Willy Lump-Lump." The nickname stuck, but eventually was shortened to just "Lump." 

As a really longtime fan of Red Skelton, I will attach a special consideration to your postings! Just for that association.

• Like 2